Author Topic: Speculations about the world of Crimson Flag  (Read 9947 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
on: January 31, 2010, 06:30:54 PM
     This is a thread for discussing the world that Crimson Flag is set in.  Feel free to speculate about culture, history, technology, magic, or whatever else comes to mind.  As the title says it's all speculation, so nothing here is canon unless Virmir says it is.  To discuss the plot, see here.  To see a quick explanation of how magic works, see here.  Also, due to the nature of the thread, expect walls of text.

To start things off, it is noted on page 11 that Caerreyn, which I assume by the description is their largest city, has an "unimaginable" population of 700.  However, their technological and magical development (such as airships, anti-airship cannons) is thousands of years ahead of their apparent population density.  The fact that there are powerful magical artifacts (at least, powerful enough to be "of interest" to Caerreyn) indicates that there were precursors, which would accelerate research.  However, that alone is not enough to account for the discrepancy. 
     The simplest answer could be that there actually are lots of Reyn, but they are scattered across a large area and don't like cities, so it is rare to find so many of them in one place.  Another possibility is that the precursors were not Reyn, and the Reyn only achieved sentience ("conquered nature") after the precursors had left/were annihilated, or the Reyn were once more numerous but something (a plague, class 0-2 apocalypse, or Great War) decimated their population.  They could have also gotten a boost from divine intervention (the Lady of the Stars?) that allowed them to develop rapidly.  Most likely it would be a combination of several factors.

What do you guys think?

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:37:53 PM
Ahah *no text wall from me today* (you should see me reply to Lopez)..

anyway I suspect its more of the idea that they are scattered around Carrreyn  in lower density towns and such.Since the idea of having lotsa airships in the sky would aid in trade suggests that Travelling by the air between lots of little towns is the norm, rather than like Big convoys that travel via land.

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.