Author Topic: Possible Battletech campaign  (Read 5083 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
on: January 29, 2011, 03:15:39 PM
I've been working on building some supporting rules for a small PvP Battletech campaign.  These rules primarily deal with purchasing and manufacturing mechs, as well as securing the necessary research to do so, as Battletech itself is already a fairly comprehensive system.

This campaign will be a small test-run for possible future plans, taking place in a small, isolated and non-canon cluster of star systems somewhere on the periphery.  

Book-keeping and empire-building will be handled on the forums, while actual combat will take place using MegaMek, a fan-made program for playing Battletech online. http://megamek.sourceforge.net/ We will be using version 0.35.21.  So far we've got two, possibly three people interested and the current map can probably support four or five.

The rules are very incomplete and probably not balanced yet, but what I have so far has been attached to this post.

EDIT: Also, anyone who decides to play also put in whether you would rather play by uploading saved games as attachments after your turn, or if you would rather connect to each other directly and play the match all at once. Also, if you decide to join make sure you've downloaded the correct version of Megamek.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:16:14 PM by Digital Vulpine »

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:53:28 PM
Update:
Here's the planet list for the campaign, right now the only thing we're measuring is habitability but if people decide they want more depth we can add other factors. The naming scheme is system cord followed by a roman numeral for the planet number.  After the game starts, players will be allowed to name planets and systems that they occupy, and re-name any that they conquer if they wish.

A planet with less than -0.5 Fertility has no atmosphere, and can only be colonized by Habitat Domes until sufficient Terraforming technology is researched.

C2 I, F= -0.19
C2 II, F= 0.65
C2 III, F= 0.38
C2 IV, F= 0.47
C2 V, F= -0.96
C2 IV, F= -0.35

C20 I, F= 0.84
C20 II, F=-0.53
C20 III, F=0.84
C20 IV, F=0.91

H10 I, F= -0.63
H10 II, F= 0.68
H10 III, F= -0.75

M23 I, F= 0.63

N5 I, F= 0.43
N5 II, F= 0.75
N5 III, F= -0.86
N5 IV, F= -0.22

N15 I, F= -0.11
N15 II, F= -0.13
N15III, F= -0.06

P10 I, F= 0.68
P10 II, F= -0.41
P10 III, F= -0.32
P10 IV, F= -0.60
P10 V, F=0.18
P10 VI, F= -0.36

Players who want to join can go ahead and submit their faction name, symbol, alignment (IS, Clan, or Independent), and pick your starting worlds.  Independents only get their capitol, but Clan may pick one additional world and IS can pick two.  You can also pick out up to 8,000,000 C-Bills worth of units, which should be enough for a few light mechs.  Every player will also start out with 20,000 C-Bills in the bank, which isn't really enough to buy any units but should give you a good start on your bases.

Planet stats will be posted at the beginning of every round, organized by who owns them.  If we run out of habitable planets before the game starts I'll add more stars to the map.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:24:11 PM
I'm in as noted.

Name: Will's Nova Cats
Symbol: A black panther agianst a starry horizon.
Alignment: Clan
Starting worlds: P10 I(Capital), P10 II

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:13 PM
Kenku's planets have been put into a nifty Excel spreadsheet for easy calculating.  Also, tweaked some stuff in the rules and added Industrial mechs as a way to terraform (or build habitat domes on) currently uninhabitable planets.