Author Topic: A Not So Soft Start To Life (behind the scenes)  (Read 9039 times)

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:20 PM
I have been considering posting how I came up with some of my characters. I'm actually pretty amazed at how they all started out and came to where they are now. Most died by the wayside, others simply evolved, some died completely but were resurrected years later, you get the idea. My first spotlight is a semi... special one. My first ever 'furry' character:

Iasha
Former aliases: Ieasha, Iyasha, ect?
Species: Formerly a Helarion Vulpes Variation but is now simply... Vulpes Vulpes.
Height: Once a healthy 5 feet tall... now a cuter 3 feet tall.
Universe Appearances: Silent Dawn V (Now "The Silent Dawn Chronicles") The Overgrown Lands II.

Iasha's origins are as mysterious to me as it is mysterious as to how I was even inspired by it. I have absolutely NO idea where this character originated in the absolute first place. I only remember that I added her to my long running 'Silent Dawn' universe as a middle ground character. In that era she was called Iasha (pronounced Aie-Sha back then till I realized it sounded like that character from Outlaw Star) who was a Helarion of Helar. The story is long winded and rather -bad- so I'll skip it. Essentially they were more humanish looking anthros, not digitigrade. Back then I didn't know what it was. Here is possibly the only surviving remnant of what Iasha was back then... which is UGLY! I shudder to remember this!

After some soul searching I realized that Silent Dawn is waaaaaaaaay too serious and dark to have anthro foxes or any kind really. This was a story of intense action and what not... having this kind of character felt counter productive... and so Iasha was buried and never came back... till the idea had a revival...

In one way, this idea never really died. Anthro fox aliens? >_>;. I still think the idea is kinda silly so I envisioned to modify her to appear less than what she was then. A certain signature revision is the implementation of the 'shaved' tail.

But this was also counter productive to the ultra serious Silent Dawn... she looked even more cartoony. After a few nods and jokes... this idea was dropped for good and Iasha was buried in a grave for a second time. Poor girl... she's had such a traumatizing birth...

A few years later...

Boom! I envision "The Overgrown Lands!"
The story needed characters so I decided to include characters from my other universes as a sort of nod to them such as Hanse and Greg who were originally for A Fox in Time. Searching for additional characters... I re-found Iasha! She felt almost perfect for this position... till I gave her guns. I felt that she deserved something more... but I kept the designs coming.

This design was cute... but she looked like a maid. So I scrapped that iteration and made a return to her original "Goggles" iteration.

These recent iterations are what came to define the Iasha we know. The bigger forehead, green eyes, really pointed ears, thin profile, ect.

After referencing a good deal of art and stuff... and one more iteration... I finally pumped this out... the final and true to form iteration that defines the witty, sharp, and attractive Iasha fitting for OL.

I plan for Iasha to be the lead character for OL2 who will discover a hidden past that threatens to tear down the world as they know it. =P

Maybe I will do this for my other characters!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:23:22 PM by Donnie »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:09 PM
He he, a very interesting read.  Yes, I would be interested in reading about more of your characters. And accompanying illustrations make it more fun. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 05:20:58 AM
Most characters of note have drastic histories that threaten civilization as we know it.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:38:19 AM
{:){:){:)
* Tvorsk claps wildly.

I was hoping to learn more about your worlds and characters for so long... thank you, Donnie!
Just, please... don't stop here... and tell us more. {;)

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:47:19 PM
     Welcome to GNN news, the Galaxy at your fingertips, I’m Bob Brown.  This just in, Alan Green is reporting live from the Crimson Flag Forums, where stunning information has been revealed about the mysterious gunsmith Iasha, from Overgrown Lands.  Alan?
     Thanks Bob, the citizens of Crimson Flag have become increasingly curious about Iasha since the beginning of Donnie’s project to render her in 3D, although speculation has been circulating even before then.  We’ve seen other works from the Overgrown Lands universe, but very little information is readily accessible.  We at GNN hope that this thread will shed some light on this universe, and it’s even less-known predecessors.  Our investigative journalists have uncovered considerable information on Fox Out of Time since the last time we heard of it, although it seems the more we uncover the more there is to find.  It is certainly interesting to see the influences of these older universes on the one now developing. 
     Another development that has caught our attention here at GNN is the revealing of an even older, unexplored universe called Silent Dawn.  Our best reporters have only been able to uncover a single video and an apparently derelict Freespace mod, but we will be on site to report if Donnie chooses to reveal further information about Silent Dawn.  Alan Green, GNN news.  Back to you, Bob.
     Thanks, Alan.  This is certainly interesting, and these answers seem to reveal even more questions.  To learn more about this and other breaking news, visit our node at gutp://gnt.GNN.nde  And now to William Blue with the weather…

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."