Author Topic: Sengoku BASARA 15th Anniversary  (Read 25639 times)

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Art by KitaKettu. Character owned by SykRenstrom.
    • View Profile
on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:34 PM
   So today I decided to start a topic about this even though I know only a few people (or probably no one) will view this. Sengoku BASARA's 15th anniversary will be on July 21, 2020. So it'll have been 15 years since the franchise started. It all started with the first Sengoku BASARA game on the PlayStation 2 (PS2), releasing on July 21, 2005.
   It started off when CAPCOM was in a financial crisis, and a CAPCOM employee named Hiroyuki Kobayashi (known for his works on Devil May Cry, Dino Crisis, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil, and Sengoku BASARA) decided he wanted to create a new type of action game, one that he hoped would save the company. In November 2003, while in a meeting with CAPCOM's staff, he suggested about creating a new type of action game that would take place during the Sengoku period of feudal Japan and feature fictionalized versions of historical Japanese feudal warlords, and would target both casual and hardcore gamers. At first, most of the staff neglected this idea, saying that it wasn't a good idea and that it wouldn't save CAPCOM. Eventually, the person who founded CAPCOM, Kenzo Tsujimoto, said that it was a good idea and that it may possibly save CAPCOM. He ended up approving the creation of the game, which would be titled as Sengoku BASARA. Despite receiving approval by the founder of CAPCOM himself, most of CAPCOM's staff continued to criticize his idea, even as he went down the CAPCOM building's halls. While going down the halls to meet up with the very small Sengoku BASARA Development Team, he overheard a conversation:
"Put me on any team, just not 'Sengoku BASARA'."
"Right. I feel sorry for whoever's making that game, it will never sell."
   Even though a few people supported his effort, comments and conversations like this still took an emotional toll on him. Despite the goal being to save CAPCOM from its financial crisis, he also had another goal in mind. His other goal was to create a Japanese warrior action game that anyone could play and enjoy, hence why he wanted it to target both casual and hardcore gamers. Halfway through development in August 2004, he had to change directors because the development team was losing its sense of unity and wasn't understanding Kobayashi's vision, and he knew if development continued like this, it would fail like what most of the staff was predicting. He decided to called an acquaintance of his named Makoto Yamamoto to be the new director because Kobayashi new Yamamoto had experience in all kinds of games before he joined CAPCOM in 2002. Yamamoto accepted the request out of a mixture of feeling bad for Kobayashi and the team, wanting to take on the challenge of a new type of game, and wanting to help Koabayashi realize his vision. Yamamoto became a major help for the team, encouraging numerous ideas to be implemented into the game. Eventually, the game would release and sell well, helping to save CAPCOM from its financial crisis. The CAPCOM staff would end up apologizing to Kobayashi and his team after all of the negativity they put on them. Even though this game started it all, it wasn't until the next game, Sengoku BASARA 2, which released for the PS2 on July 27, 2006, that would start the franchise's popularity and success in Japan.
   After SB2, the franchise would become big and culturally significant in Japan. SB2 was the cause for the Sengoku Boom happening throughout Japan which was a re-ignited interest in Japanese history. The franchise would keep increasing in popularity with more video games, multiple anime shows, an anime movie, a live-action show, its very own magazine series, a trading card game, and numerous drama CDs, light novels, manga, stage plays, and merchandise. It would also be the first ever video game/video game franchise to raise awareness of elections, co-sponsor historical museums, and co-sponsor historical tourist sites. In 2010, it became popular throughout most of Asia. SB was going strong, despite only ever being a success in Asia.
   Sadly, this would all start to die down in early 2017. With no new console games since Sengoku BASARA Sanada Yukimura-den, which released for the PS3 and PS4 on August 25, 2016, SB started to see a decline in popularity. Despite the continued release of new merchandise, manga, and stage plays, and continuing to promote historical museums and tourist sites, the series just wouldn't re-ignite its old popularity. An anime adaptation of the spin-off manga series, Gakuen BASARA, helped to slightly increase its popularity when it was broadcasted in Japan in 2018. And a new mobile game titled, Sengoku BASARA Battle Party, would give it a place in the gacha market when it was released in 2019.
   In the present, this year will mark SB's 15th anniversary, and CAPCOM says that they have many big announcements, plans, and projects for the franchise to celebrate. Will this year mark the revival of Sengoku BASARA, or will it be the start of its last years? All we can do is hope because this isn't the end...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:39:12 PM by FelixFox »

This is a random post signature that serves no other purpose than to get you to read something. :P

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 09:05:38 PM
Considering this topic is about the Sengoku BASARA 15th Anniversary, it will be used as a way to share any new info about the franchise, its upcoming 15th anniversary, and its 15th anniversary celebrations, with the community. Since CAPCOM already has a special announcement related to the 15th anniversary that was announced earlier today, I'll be sharing it tomorrow because it's getting kind of late where I live. If you read all of my ramblings up above and this new post, I really, sincerely thank you and appreciate that you took the time to read all of this.

Best wishes to you all! [:) {:) |:) ]:)

This is a random post signature that serves no other purpose than to get you to read something. :P

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Order and Chaos go hand and hand
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 10:31:10 PM
What so good about this video game?

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:29:27 PM
What so good about this video game?

That kind of depends on what type of games your into. If you really like action games with a few fighting game and RPG elements added onto it, and you can handle the fact that almost all of the games are in Japanese or some other Asian language (Chinese, Korean, etc.) then it's actually very good. Now, if you don't like action games or you can't handle the language barrier, you'll probably not be interested in playing the games.

Personally, I like the franchise as a whole. I first got into it through the English localized version of Sengoku BASARA 3 (the English version is called Sengoku BASARA Samurai Heroes), which was sadly the only game in the series to receive a proper localization (one other game got localized but it's more like a westernization then a localization). Eventually, I would discover that there was an anime (which I ended up really enjoying), and that there were more games, but the games weren't in English. Later on, I would discover a blog with SB as its main focus. The blog is titled, Raindrops and Daydreams, and it's managed by a British woman who is a huge fan of SB. I ended up finding out a lot more about SB and it really made me like it a lot more. Now, I'm super into SB and it has been my favorite franchise for the past few years. Sadly, there are no new posts on Raindrops and Daydreams, with the last post being on October 23, 2017. She also has a Twitter page, with the last post being on June 3, 2019. Probably the biggest thing about SB that appealed to me was the characters. Honestly, the characters are probably the biggest charm of SB. With their cool designs, unique personalities, interesting backgrounds, fun interactions, and crazy, over-the-top, and stylish movesets, it's difficult to not like them.

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 02:43:58 PM
Have you checked you messages?

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:45:53 PM

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:48:27 PM
K...

SW

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 02:53:30 PM
Are you going into chat today?

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 02:57:38 PM
Are you going into chat today?
Probably not. I've been doing a lot of writing recently, and I'm most likely going to be posting here a lot. At least it'll give me something to do.

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 02:58:20 PM
Have you seen my posts?

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:59:35 PM
Have you seen my posts?

On this topic or another topic?

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 03:03:06 PM
Other topics.

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 03:03:39 PM
Other topics.

I've seen a few but not all.

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 03:16:41 PM
Aokay

SW

FelixFox

• Gamer Fox
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 04:21:23 PM
First special announcement for the Sengoku BASARA 15th Anniversary:
Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi: Anniversary Edition has been officially announced!
Sadly, it wasn't a brand new game, and it could possibly be a good sign or a bad sign. Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi originally released for the PS3 and PS4 back on July 23, 2015. The game was one of many celebrations for SB's 10th anniversary. SB4S: AE was released for the PS4 on July 21, 2020. It includes SB4S plus all of the DLC. My one complaint is that this should have also beeen released for Nintendo Switch as well. This is a perfect opportunity to release an SB game for Switch, especially since there's been a lot of fan demand for one and its stable 60fps on both singleplayer and multiplayer could attract Switch owners, since most action games of this type on Switch run at 30fps. The game is in Japanese, is region-free (you don't need a Japanese PS4 to play), and is officially rated B (Ages 12+) by CERO.
As seen in the picture above, this is the physical version of the game and is being sold nationwide in Japan. On the top left is the game itself with 56 of the DLC already on the disc (Costumes, Music) and 10 of the DLC on a download code (Weapons). The download code for the 10 remaining DLC will last from July 21, 2020, to July 21, 2022. So that's 66 DLC in total (which is all of them). On the bottom is the Sengoku Heroes 15th Anniversary Records, which is an 80-page art book containing artwork and visuals throughout SB's 15 year history, exclusive artwork and visuals that celebrate SB's 15th anniversary, and exclusive interviews with the voice actors for Date Masamune (Kazuya Nakai) and Sanada Yukimura (Sōichirō Hoshi), and theme song artist T.M.Revolution (a.k.a. Takanori Nishikawa). Also, on the bottom there is some sample artwork so you can get an idea on what it looks like on the inside. On the top right is the Anniversary Art Box which holds the game, download code, and art book inside. This version is priced at 5,990円+tax. Both Nin-Nin Game and Play-Asia have opened up orders for those who want an easy way to import the game. It's available on Nin-Nin Game for $52.99 (price may change). It's available on Play-Asia for $64.99.
There's another physical version that's being offered in Japan, only on e-CAPCOM (CAPCOM's online Japanese store). It includes the same things in the other version with one additional bonus, the Sengoku BASARA 15th Anniversary Visual Tapestry, as shown on the right in the above picture. This version is priced at 8,000円+tax. Luckily, Nin-Nin Game and Play-Asia have orders opened up for this version too. It's available on Nin-Nin Game for $92.99 (price may change). It's available on Play-Asia for $85.99.
There's a digital version of the game called the Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi: Anniversary Set. This is available on the Japanese PlayStation Network (PSN). It includes SB4S and all 66 DLC. It's priced at 5,445円+tax.
There's another digital-related thing as well. It's called the Sengoku BASARA 4 Sumeragi: DLC Luxury Assortment Set. It includes all 66 DLC but no game. This is for players who already own the original game and want to get all of the DLC without re-buying the game. It's available on the Japanese PSN for 3,627円+tax.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 02:45:44 PM by FelixFox »