Author Topic: It's time to start getting hyped about the 500+ page Crimson Flag book.  (Read 16994 times)

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Yes indeed-- as Crimson Flag nears its conclusion, over the past few years I've also been putting together a print book to go along with the online comic. This is mainly a personal project since I like the idea of a physical book to go on my shelf, but maybe some other people want a copy too!

Here are some pictures of the most recent test printing.

Wait! Crimson Flag is ENDING?!
I get this reaction sometimes-- It's not "ending", I'm finishing it! I've been working towards this ending since day 1. I always find this reaction a little strange, but I suppose there is a sort of webcomic mentality that these things should just keep going and going. This story was never intended to be that way-- rather I had a novel-sized read in mind and we are getting close to the end! (It just turns out that creating one page per week makes this process take 12 years... oooops.) I'm thinking it will take another year or so to finish the comic up. CF as a story and an idea are very old, and while I'm very glad to complete it, I'm also really excited to get started on my next major webcomic too!

What will happen to the chat and forums after CF is done?
Very little. I will probably re-theme the forums to match my next comic project eventually, but that's about it.

When will the book be available?
I hope to have it ready for purchase soon after the final comic page is posted. Roughly a year, give or a take a few months.

How big will the book be?
The page count will be the total page count of the online comic, minus about 60 pages (since multiple early strips fit on one printed page), but plus a few pages for extra stuff like the cast profiles, map, etc. So roughly 550 pages. This is being printed "manga sized" at 5"x7.5". I quite like this size since the book is easy to carry and hold and my panel-count generally isn't very high anyway so we don't need super huge prints.

Will it contain exclusive content?
No. I generally don't want to put anything in the book that's also not available on crimsonflagcomic.com. I do have a handful of very minor early concept sketches I might throw in, but it's nothing super secret and I'll probably put them online at some point too.

Will there be a Kickstarter?
No. I'm going with a print-on-demand service. Some artists do Kickstarters for their books so they can print tons of them upfront at discounted rates. But they also sell them themselves, mail them themselves, go to conventions, etc. I don't want to mess with any of that stuff.

(But I will do a small batch of pre-orders available exclusively to CF forum members which I sign and mail myself. I will post details when the time comes!)

How much will it cost?
Probably in the $40-$45 USD range, but I'm not sure yet.

[fox] Virmir

SSgt. John Mason

• Fox 2 _ Alpha 1-1 Special Unit
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Bruh I just started ro read this comic 2 days ago and I relized that it's just so awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Still waiting for the end game of the final battle.

Fox 2 to Fox Central! We got a situation here. Requesting backup! Over!

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Glad you are enjoying it!

[fox] Virmir

Phantom

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Wow, It's been a fun run, hasn't it? Shame there are unanswered questions about the powers in the staff.

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
I'll do a spoiler-full Q/A topic once the comic is complete where people can ask stuff like that!

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
 ]:)ooo I'd be interested In a signed copy XD I shall have to keep my eyes peeled and ears perked X3

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Jake

• The TF Labrador
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • I love magic TF cookies
    • View Profile
]:)ooo I'd be interested In a signed copy XD I shall have to keep my eyes peeled and ears perked X3

Your not the only one

The happy TF Labrador

Pixxelluxx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Will the signed pre-order batch be an limited amount or only for an limited time? I would love an signed copy, would you even ship to germany?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
They will likely be a limited batch because I'm not sure I want to ship books myself indefinitely. The plan is to basically order maybe 25-30 books (depending on how many people are interested), sign and ship those, then everyone else who wants a book can just buy it directly from Indy Planet. I wouldn't have any problems shipping outside the US for this batch.

If packaging and shipping this batch turns out to not be a pain though maybe I'll consider shipping more. We'll see!

[fox] Virmir

Pixxelluxx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Would that mean, if x amount of CF Forum members pre-order, would all x members get a signed copy or only as many corresponding to the amount you ordered yourself? Having to pre-order as fast as possible would be a stessful thought, I am asking because it isnīt completly clear in my head yet  (sorry if this questions sounds like my previous one)

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
I figured I would open pre-orders first and then order the amount of books based on that. But I would probably set an upper limit and cut it off if it gets too high. Maybe I should do a pre-pre-order topic or something to gauge interest, ha ha

[fox] Virmir

Pixxelluxx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
To me it looks like there is some interest, If I could, then I would have pre-pre-pre-ordered already :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:38:18 PM by Pixxelluxx »