Author Topic: Comic 298  (Read 13684 times)

VirBot

• Chat/Forum Bot
  • Bot
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • All toons intrinsically know how to build robots.
    • View Profile
on: May 02, 2014, 09:02:19 PM

This message has been auto-posted by VirBot.  VirBot is not a real person and cannot answer your replies.  VirBot has no plans to take over the world and subjugate the flesh-creatures whatsoever.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:06 PM
Those spikes seem better equipped to take out tires than pursuers on foot...

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

plazmastorm

• Just another feline, nothing to see here
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Oh boy...
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:25 PM
Spike trap activate!

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed believing whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
-Morpheus

foxgamer01

• Solid Fox, Daren Crevan
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Allons-Y
    • View Profile
    • Foxgamer01 of DA
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:04:31 PM
Well, that fennec has passed the MEH in Lucian's eyes. Now not even trapped in feral form can stop him from getting payback.

(19:14:28) Virmir: All of Foxgamer's pics are either super happy or BATTLE.
(19:14:53) Virmir: Except that one roo one.
--

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I'mma be a one-man cheezburgah apocalypse.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:04:43 PM
Caltrops? What caltrops?

"There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
- Douglas Adams

SquirrelJay

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:08:59 PM
"How many fools can I kill today?"
"Too many to count don't get in my way!"

Zarpaulus

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:40 PM
Caltrops? What caltrops?

Well, considering how no one apparently wears shoes...

Foxotcw

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:46:24 PM
That was low.

But who ordered the assassination?  It couldn't have been Julian--he's still stuck in that pit, and I find it hard to believe he would sanction the murder of his son's mother.

Maybe the Fennec is like a robot-assassin--and is stuck in an endless loop: "bring me my son, kill the others" and is still following the orders literally even though the circumstances have obviously changed.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:03 PM

Oh they work just fine against feet, as long as the spikes are long enough to get through the sole of your shoe.  Even if you don't step directly on it but instead kind of knock it over with your toe, it'll just tip over and roll another spike right into the bottom of your foot.

And of course against bare feet, getting through the shoe isn't a problem.

They're also little terrors against horses.

A person who knows they're there can try to watch their step, but doing that slows you down.  Win/win for someone trying to escape.  Unless of course you just clear your path with magic.  Because magic solves everything.

Of course, you also have to throw a *lot* of caltrops for them to be effective.  Since you have to saturate a large enough area that your pursuer can't easily go around or jump over them.  Though would *you* want to try jumping over a patch of caltrops and hope you don't land short?

Those little things are medieval landmines.  {;)

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Zeo Fawx

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 12:40:49 AM
He made three mistakes:

First, he took the job.
Second, he came light. A bow and spikes? Insulting.
But his biggest mistake; did not account for a fire fox.

Slimecat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 02:11:37 AM
Wow, I'm officially a nerd. I'm thinking of one line from the 10th episode, straight out of the first season of Chozen. The minute the assassin was spotted, I immediately hear Troy calling out "Assassin's creed is Bull$#@7!" the very moment he's spotted. Just before kitsu-lucy starts chasing his furry butt. I'm thinking those caltrops would be very effective in the snow.

Tallyn

• Level 70 Sentinel Bushi
  • THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 06:24:05 AM
Fen used Spikes!
Lucian used Flare Blitz!
Spikes blew away!

"To trees with this kibble stuff!" - Virmir

Caprice

• That guy with the tail
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 08:31:45 AM
The post on the website was 13 seconds later than in the forum.

Foxotcw

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:58 PM

Oh they work just fine against feet, as long as the spikes are long enough to get through the sole of your shoe.  Even if you don't step directly on it but instead kind of knock it over with your toe, it'll just tip over and roll another spike right into the bottom of your foot.

And of course against bare feet, getting through the shoe isn't a problem.

They're also little terrors against horses.

A person who knows they're there can try to watch their step, but doing that slows you down.  Win/win for someone trying to escape.  Unless of course you just clear your path with magic.  Because magic solves everything.

Of course, you also have to throw a *lot* of caltrops for them to be effective.  Since you have to saturate a large enough area that your pursuer can't easily go around or jump over them.  Though would *you* want to try jumping over a patch of caltrops and hope you don't land short?

Those little things are medieval landmines.  {;)

Agreed, but if you go barefoot a lot outdoors (I did when I was surfing a lot), you become amazingly good at zipping around things you don't want to step on, even if running.  They would slow you down--and if they were *everywhere*, then you would have an impasse.  Feral Lucian is so small and agile, though, he'd probably be able to dodge around the caltrops almost like they weren't there.

Though in this case, it seems, just blasting through as a flying fireball seems to be enough. [fox]

I agree with R_T that they look better suited for use against wheeled vehicles than bare paws.  Tiny triangle-shaped razor blades would be better...  Ugh--that's a horrifying thought for a surfer or a bipedal fox...I don't want to give Reyn weapon designers any ideas.  Stick with the huge, shiny, easy to see spikes, please!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:01:12 AM by Foxotcw »

AmigaDragon

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 03:43:38 PM
...huge, shiny, easy to see spikes...
"Huge" takes up lots of storage space. And how prickly would a bag of those be bouncing around as you travel with them? ];)

"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen