Author Topic: Stuck in Bed [For Trask!]  (Read 5076 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
on: August 15, 2012, 07:56:15 PM
Get well soon!
===
   Tyler was sick. Not ‘sniffles’ sick or ‘flu’ sick,. He was ‘half-dead in bed while germs do the tango across your organs’ sick. A steadily melting icepack on his forehead fought a losing battle against his raging fever. Three layers of quilts were lumped over his chest to keep back the chills. A bucket next to the bed awaited his next, futile attempt at keeping medicine or food down.

A door opened and closed from somewhere downstairs. Tyler barely noticed the sound. That it was likely Mark returning from a run for more tissues was only a hazy acknowledgement. Still, Tyler was grateful that his friend and co-worker had taken the day off to keep him on this side of the Styx.

The standard treatment for Tyler’s condition was bed rest and lots of fluid. An army of water bottles was providing the latter, but the former simply wasn’t happening. Between his fever, the chills, burning throat, and squirming insides, saying Tyler couldn’t get comfortable was like saying crossing the Himalayas while juggling on a unicycle takes a fair amount of finesse. The clock hadn’t even struck noon and already Tyler felt like he’d been sick for days.

A groan rumbled out from beneath the blankets as Tyler made another attempt at movement. A hand that felt like it had weights hanging off reached out and fumbled blearily for a water bottle. It found one and vanished under the covers with its prey. Tyler winced as light pierced his quilts and moved a pillow to block the hole. Even with the blinds drawn there were still bits of sun getting into the room. To his migraine, each sliver was a blinding shaft.

Tyler began draining the water bottle. He cringed with each swallow as a swollen throat pulsed in pain. His drink was interrupted when his head hit the mattress. With a spluttering cough, Tyler felt around for his pillow. He grabbed something fluffy and squishy.

“Bluh?” he mumbled blearily as he pulled the object next to him. Gray-furred and bushy-tailed, even Tyler’s fevered mind could identify it as a plush fox. Had Mark dropped it off without him noticing? He rubbed the funny-looking robe the toy was wearing. It was soft; very... very soft.

Tyler yawned. It would have to do. He brought the toy close and rested against it. The plush squished in as if cradling his head. It was nice, he thought dreamily, almost like he was being hugged. Tyler’s eyes grew heavy as he enjoyed the cuddly, soothing embrace of the toy.

A warm breeze stirred Tyler. He shrugged it off, wanting to continue lying against the comforting blankets. He wrapped his hands around the cloth and squeezed to hold it tighter. The blankets squeaked.

“Eh?” Tyler puzzled. He opened his eyes and looked up. Two shining black spheres stared back.

“Gah!” He yelped, leaping up. He’d been lying on top of that fox plush, only now it was huge – easily his size.

“Aww, and we were having such a nice snuggle.” The toy said as it stood. “But at least now we can play!”

Tyler stumbled back and fell over. The ground was patterned like a patchwork quilt. Actually, from how soft it was, it could easily be a real quilt. Tyler looked around in confusion. He wasn’t in his bedroom anymore. Trees that looked like they were made of felt dotted the quilted landscape. A sky of watercolours and crayons hung overhead. Jungle gyms and giant forts made of LEGOS dotted the scene.

“Like it?” The fox said. It offered a plush paw to help Tyler up. He accepted it, still staring around.

“Where...?”

“The dreamland!  One of them anyway. You know how kids think their toys are alive?”

Tyler nodded mutely.

“Well, this is where those emotions go. Neat, huh?” Even though its stitched mouth never changed, Tyler had the impression the plush was beaming at him. “I’m Trask by the way!”

“Uh, Tyler. So I’m... dreaming?”

“No, silly!” Trask giggled, “It’s a dreamland. Easy mistake, I know. You were all blurgy and sick and miserable and couldn’t rest and I had to do something to help! So I brought you here—well, part of you, technically. Only a person’s inner child can enter this place.”

“A person’s inner child?” Tyler repeated quizzically. As the words left his mouth, he became aware of how higher his voice was. He looked down at his hands. They were definitely smaller. Way smaller. He also wasn’t wearing his pyjamas anymore. Tyler had on a pair of shorts with a watermelon pattern and a T-shirt covered in Hawaiian fruits. It was a silly outfit but had been his favourite when he was ten.

“I’m ten?”

“Well, ten-ish,” Trask admitted, “I figured this way your body could get some rest while we play together here.”

“Play...?” Tyler looked from the toy fox to the bizarre world around him. “N-no, I can’t. It’s just too weird.” he started to back away.

“Aww, c’mon, Ty!” Trask pleaded.

Tyler broke into a run.

“W-wait!” Trask called after as he tried to follow. “Please come back! There’s nothing sinister going on, I swear!”

Unsurprisingly, a ten-ish year-old brimming with energy was perfectly capable of outrunning a plush fox. Trask eventually lost sight of Tyler and stumbled back to where they had entered the world. He leaned against a felt tree, unsure of what to do next. Even if they weren’t together Tyler’s body would still get a good rest, but it didn’t feel right to let him go wandering the dreamland alone. There wasn’t anything really dangerous but all the same...

The fabric leaves rustled above Trask’s head. He looked up curiously.

“SIKE!” Tyler yelled as he plummeted from above.

“Yip!” Trask squeaked in surprise. He was knocked off his feet and fell over with Tyler on top of him.

“Hah! Got you!” Tyler exclaimed happily as he hugged the toy fox. “You totally fell for that!”

Trask snugged the boy back, very relieved. “That you did!”

“So c’mon already!” Tyler urged. “Last one to the swings is a rotten egg!”

He ran off towards the jungle gym before Trask had even gotten back up.

“Hey, no fair! You have a head start!”

The plushie raced after as best he could. The sounds of their laughter rose up into the bright, dreamland sky.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Evilhumour

• The possessor of the almighty tail snap
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:14:12 PM
sweet I guess

(07:46:59) Robak: watch the horns they are pointy
(22:04:28) Risu: omg, its raining antimuffins!
(00:42:42) * (Rage_plushie) doesn`t move. instead he ponders the secrets of the universe...and wonders why trask smells faintly of strawberries.
(00:36:36) Virmir: It's fattening celergy!

Mehlahphuse

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • The sunny, gold, shapeshifting dragoness :3
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:15 AM
I think this was a cute story. Wish there was more to it, but I liked it. ^^

PrincessToyTime

• Chaotic Good Pooltoy/Plush hybrid Alicorn Princess
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • For my friends, with my friends, forever.
    • View Profile
    • Trask's FA! [Warning: Contains Toys, Tails and TF!]
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:42:14 AM
Aww... this story is adorable and nice, thank you so much for including me in a story Jonas! *Hugs the bookfox tight and tailwags happily.* [:)
A nice little read while I myself, recover from some illness of some kind. [:P
I do agree with Mehl on this one, it does feel short, but it's very cute regardless.

(16:30:39) Virmir: You are a pony by default now? GAH HA HA
(16:31:04) Virmir: I never knew any true ponies.
(16:31:14) Virmir: I quite like your pony look.

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:26:19 AM
Yea, I wrote this in a single sitting, so I knew it'd be kinda short. Glad you liked it, though!

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:15:11 PM
He he, nice little short. Dream world adventure doesn't sound like too bad of an idea when sick. [;)

[fox] Virmir