Author Topic: Furries on the BBC  (Read 12406 times)

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
on: November 16, 2009, 08:47:47 AM
Hmm In keeping with the theme of posting furry media coverage here here's another article from the BBC:
They quote TaniDaReal (That famous Artist in the fandom) and Fred Pattern (who I believe contributes to the webzine Anthro).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8355287.stm

The article of course focused on the UK scene... but Brings up an interesting question: how come furrydom seems to most concentrated in the US?  or at least it appears that way on the Net.

Perhaps the EuroFurs and UKfurs are largely quiet... and furrydom in asian countries seem, to me somewhat under represented. (Perhaps its mainly a language thing, we only look at english based sites snd such?)

Oh back to the article
:
*facepaws at people plotting to kill their parents* the fact that they met on a furry website seems tangential to the case, but I guess it was an interesting angle to take ]:P

Edit: BTW the artwork used in the article is from this deviation: http://tanidareal.deviantart.com/art/Badge-Amarok-142732275
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:53:15 AM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:08:34 PM
The article did mention an interesting case, saying that the fandom sprouted as a result of the internet. I read through a few of the comments, and one person described this situation as a "sub-genre of cosplay." While I disagree with it being a sub-genre, taking these two ideas to heart is a very interesting concept.

This would mean that in America, where Japanese anime culture has very much taken hold (as evidenced by the popularity of my school's anime club) the idea of cosplay would develop along with the internet to promote the spread of the fandom.

But I kind of disagree with this development. I don't think furrydom is based in the US as much as Kai seems to think. I do agree with the fact that there is very much a lack in Asian countries. ((Especially Chinese. When you've got a country of 1 billion people and half of those people have access to internet and half of THOSE people speak English, I get very suspicious when you can't find a Chinese person in an internet community.))

Ummmm...back to my point. I don't think furry fandom centers in the US. I think the INTERNET centers in the US. And, fandom centers on the internet. So we often make a mistaken leap in judgment that fandom then centers in the US.

Annnnnd, bad article. But good, in that it didn't slaughter the fandom, but it was a bit limited.

Enough of me, someone else say something. ]:)

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:19:52 PM
Yay! We're not evil to another reporter! Huzzah!

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:30:55 AM
The article did mention an interesting case, saying that the fandom sprouted as a result of the internet. I read through a few of the comments, and one person described this situation as a "sub-genre of cosplay." While I disagree with it being a sub-genre, taking these two ideas to heart is a very interesting concept.

This would mean that in America, where Japanese anime culture has very much taken hold (as evidenced by the popularity of my school's anime club) the idea of cosplay would develop along with the internet to promote the spread of the fandom.

Hmm, I would think saying, its a sub-genre of cosplay, a comment that seems to.. anime/japan-centric to me... since (as Jonas/Lopez) said in the chat earlier it sprouted from the sci-fi fandoms, but has certainly come into its own as a sub culture.

In the end I agree with you lopez on the fact the Fandom is internet based, but somehow it was the culture and whatever there (the sci-fi fandom... disney + other anthropomorphic influences) that started the fandom in the US and spread it Via the internet to the rest of the world in its Current form.

(as I side note... I abhorr how some define the history of the furry fandom as having started with ancient anthropomorphic depictions such as the egyptian gods etc etrc, if anything thats the history of humans anthropomorphizing things... rather than the history of th Fandom itself)

Edit: Blaaagh another 1am reply... ]:P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:35:12 AM by KaiAdin »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 12:03:24 PM
I have a hard time identifying with the people described in these articles because they are always about conventions and fursuits and whatnot.  I don't own a fursuit and have never been to a con.  That's not saying I'd never try one or the other out one day, but for me the whole fandom is about drawing cartoons and comics, reading anthropomorphic literature, and writing a bit.  Obviously the people parading around in fursuits at conventions are the most visible and easily recognizable to the media, but how many people here do that?  I can think of only one CF regular who's tried it.

Just an observation. [:)

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 01:19:31 PM
I can think of only one CF regular who's tried it.

Who? Do you mean traxer? Does doing it for school really count? ]:P

Thinking about it now, thats quite true, I dont I plan on being a fursuiter and such... but appreciating and making Anthro Arts (and reading it too) is what Everyone does, it should be given more of a spotlight outside the fandom (the PG stuff that is...).

(Totally awesome post Totally derailed by the chat ]:P)

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 02:42:09 PM
No, don't think school mascots count. [;)

Think Kiba mentioned he went to a con and tried on a friend's suit before.

[fox] Virmir

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:54:18 AM
I once put on the head of the Toronto Raptor's mascot, does that count?

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:36:00 AM
I once put on the head of the Toronto Raptor's mascot, does that count?

Okay...is it just me, or does that sound way more morbid than you intended?

Or at least, I hope you didn't intend it that way...

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:46 PM
it does sound kinda morbid... but I'm pretty certain it wasn't intended to be.
I do have a picture of a fox running around with a raptor-head hat in my mind now, though..
but, on topic.
I've never been(or even seen someone) in a fursuit... or been to a Con..
from what I can tell the majority stays at home and reads stories or looks at art rather than running out to cons and such.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:07:22 PM by Fenrs »

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?