Author Topic: Guns, weapons, other dismemberment options.  (Read 21459 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 11:23:58 AM
Regarding Goldeneye, the "AKA-47" usually is a result of one of two things: either they were trying to dodge censorship/keep their rating down in one of the export countries at the time the game was made (which at times included the US) or, for guns that were more "cutting edge" at the time the game was made, they did not want to license the name from the gun's manufacturer, or couldn't afford to.

The licensing variant can be seen a lot with other things too, such as cars in racing games.  {;)  "Ferrari?  What Ferrari?"

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:16 PM
@ Dimitriy, you should invest in an AR-15. It's the civilian availible version of those two guns. If you have the aptitude you could also just build one from a kit. (all my posts seem to come back to the AR. Lol)

@Meat, yeah, the H-bar is a pretty popular addition, it keeps the barrel cooler due to it's mass, and let's the gun stay accurate over long firing times.

@Digital Vulp., I aphadnt thought about the licensing thing, but there are so many people who make so many versions of the same gun, what does it matter? I dunno about the first part, it didn't stop CoD at all..

Sanity is for the weak.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I'mma be a one-man cheezburgah apocalypse.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 08:58:59 PM
ARs are, well, really popular. They shoot a low-recoil, affordable and common caliber in the 5.56mm, they're modular as crap so you can replace almost anything you want with the huge aftermarket they've got behind them, they're mechanically simple and pretty dang reliable. So there's a reason we keep coming back to them.

"There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
- Douglas Adams

Karina

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 03:55:40 AM
Indeed, I have been considering an AR. The modularity is nice, and I'd already be fairly familiar with it. And by that I mean at one point I probably could have built one blindfolded. I certainly could do it in under a minute, but that was just about three years ago, so I'm a bit out of practice.  {:P

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 08:13:38 PM
I've never taken apart or built guns in that manner. Maybe it's time to start.

"There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

- Douglas Adams

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 09:03:37 PM
Uhh, Dimitriy? I mean like build the whole gun. Start with the bone bare upper and lower receivers, add the trigger, safety switch, and all the other things associated. It's pretty easy to do, and i think costs less overall. But I think you were thinking of the fieldstripping, which is delightfully easy.

Sanity is for the weak.

Karina

• View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 03:41:52 AM
Uhh, Dimitriy? I mean like build the whole gun. Start with the bone bare upper and lower receivers, add the trigger, safety switch, and all the other things associated. It's pretty easy to do, and i think costs less overall. But I think you were thinking of the fieldstripping, which is delightfully easy.

You are, of course, correct. It would be quite interesting to build the whole thing, and I'll probably look into it. I enjoy that sort of thing, more fun than simply attaching part a to part b and bam, you're done.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 11:57:55 PM
So I was messing around on a game mod site and came across this little number. Doesn't look like standard fare for a revolver, does it? A little research later, the Mateba Unica 6 is a real revolver, and furthermore, it's recoil-operated semi-automatic. Now that's very unconventional for a revolver, so I found a video to demonstrate the action, conveniently in slow motion. Definitely an interesting way to put together a revolver.

- Douglas Adams

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 01:03:58 AM
The Italians.. Of course, It seems interesting.. But it might be a tad easier just to get a standard double action.

Though there is a 'fun' factor involved, and the novelty. I read on wikipedia that somebody threw a 15" barrel on it... Quite the odd weapon all in all...

Sanity is for the weak.

Ezekiel Moon

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 11:35:42 AM
What about Medieval/Renaissance weaponry?  Which do you like of those?

Chivalry isn’t dead - it is merely an exceedingly rare ideal that few understand, and even fewer truly believe in and follow.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 05:14:23 PM
But that period doesn't have guns....
If you must know, swords, swords, all kinds of swords. And if I can build up the arm strength to use one, a war hammer. Would be very useful for cracking skulls, breaking shoulders, legs, and opening canned food.

- Douglas Adams

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 06:11:25 PM
But that period doesn't have guns....
If you must know, swords, swords, all kinds of swords. And if I can build up the arm strength to use one, a war hammer. Would be very useful for cracking skulls, breaking shoulders, legs, and opening canned food.

Would very early firearms fall under Renaissance?

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 06:16:33 PM
Doesn't have to be just about guns, knives, swords, flails, whatever. It's all good. Opening food with a warhammer... Overkill much?

Sanity is for the weak.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 08:42:52 PM
Doesn't have to be just about guns, knives, swords, flails, whatever. It's all good. Opening food with a warhammer... Overkill much?
No kill like overkill.

- Douglas Adams

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20931468

None of us have anything on this bling-gun

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️