Author Topic: Islands of Infinity OOC  (Read 61065 times)

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 01:59:04 PM
sun comes again full of water and dumps rain on you.

Haha! Ok, that makes sense. I guess that leads into how does weather work? And can it get nasty?

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:12 PM
Okie, time to try my paw at this... tell me if its ok or needs to be changed.

Name: Sennel “Nickname Pending” Wright
Affinity: Adventure

Sennel has the ability to change into animals/creatures with curious and mobile natures, as well as ‘active’ elementals like air and water. Always eager to go to new places or do new things, the downside is that this sometimes overrides his better judgement (in the classic scenario, he’d be the guy who wants to see what the big red button does). Although he can resist this impulse, it builds if he isn’t given something else to do. While Sennel can’t handle routine or stagnation very well, he is able to put up with it if it’s done in pursuit of something new. For example, he’s fine with the routine of living on/working on a ship because it’s done to keep it moving to new places, but he can’t handle routine done for its own sake (like in a paper route). His preferred form is of an anthropomorphic wolf, around 6-7 feet tall and well muscled (for clarification’s sake, think along the lines of Miles from Housepets http://www.housepetscomic.com/2009/10/09/the-voodoo-they-do/). Despite using the form for long stretches of time, Sennel is fairly oblivious to the effect his size has on people and frequently underestimates his own strength. This, combined with his enthusiasm and issues with monotony, can become hazardous at times.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:47 PM
Hmmm... a bit confusing and iffy, but overall workable. I may have to poke you every so often if you go too far over cause this one's a little hard to define, but it should overall work well.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 08:58:40 PM
aheh, sorry, didn't think too much about forms when I did this really. Beyond the wolf and air/water elementals, I can't really think of much. By the way, how does clothing work with shapeshifting? Do we all end up naked each time =O

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 10:42:13 PM
Here's something I've decided to work on, very much Work In Progress though.

Name: Seigfried Fuchs
Affinity: Precision

Description: His default form is an anthropomorphic red fox.  His fur pattern is unremarkable,
being quite standard for his species.  Mostly red-orange, white tail and torso, black paws and
ears.  He has steely blue eyes that always seem focused on something.  He is methodical, calculating, and cautious.  His fur is meticulously brushed, and his clothes are carefully pressed.  His affinity allows him to take on the form of animals with sharp senses and precise behavior, such as foxes, birds of prey, and some cats.  The orderly, crystalline nature of ice allows him to manipulate it.  The chaotic nature of other elements makes them difficult for him to master, but when he manages to impose order on them the results can be devastating.  He tinkers with machinery, and carries a bolt-action rifle as his preferred weapon.  His attacks can be fast or powerful; but not both.  They are, however, frighteningly accurate.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: July 09, 2010, 01:42:55 AM
Okay, thing one. You don't manipulate ice, you become it. Thing two, technology here is relatively limited. Think along the lines of magic punk. Any machines you find are going to be pretty basic unless infused with magic and I'll say right now that working with magitech is difficult so if you can do that it's a pretty big skill and you might not be so good with the attacking. (this is a balancing measure)

As for the question of clothing... I'm treating that like fur. It comes with the shape when need be, but it can't come off. Unless you bother putting on actual clothing, in which case it does come off but doesn't change with you. Simple, no?

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: July 09, 2010, 07:58:51 AM
Also...uhh... how do you pronounce Siegfried's last name?

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #52 on: July 09, 2010, 10:52:57 AM
It's German, so "Fooks" or "Fyooks" (basically it's a long u, pronounced "you" not "uh").  Ends up sounding similar to "Fox".

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 10:55:08 AM
Ends up sounding similar to "Fox".
And means it, too.

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 03:57:53 PM
Oh, one thing: define "simple".  Printing press?  Typewriter?  Has the minie ball been invented yet?  Because if not, rifling is impractical due to difficulty loading.  Of course, I guess a better question would be "are there guns at all?" (blasted Fantasy Gun Control)

I was thinking of having Siegfried be a clockmaker by trade, so that's mostly what I had in mind for "tinkering with machinery".

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 04:14:46 PM
oooh, clockworks! *Sennel stares at Siggy with great interest!*

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: July 09, 2010, 05:58:09 PM
Ho... boy. possibly printing press, definitely not typewriter. We're talking definitely before Thomas Edison's little spree. If the greeks or the romans could do it, than it definitely exists. If it existed during colonial times, than it probably exists here. This is the pure technology level. Anything more complicated would have to be done with magi-tech. Magic isn't really advanced enough for people to sling spells around, but if a spell can do something, it's probably possible to create a piece of magi-tech that does the same thing. Same with many advanced pieces of technology, but anything with computers I can flat out say does not exist yet.

Magitech is how you'd get 'guns' of any decency, flying ships (or anything that lets a person fly), long distance phone calls, as well as any other sort of complicated thing. There are books that never run out of pages, crystals that can scry direction (because magnetic poles kinda don't exist here) and others that will always point the way to a certain place (again, the darned islands keep moving around), and all sorts of useful stuff. If you have an idea you can ask me and I'll let you know if (and possibly how) it works. I'm trying to keep such devices as these a little limited though, they aren't rare, but you can't expect everyone to have all these things cause they are difficult to make for most people. In fact you'll probably end up having to collect materials to build one of these things every so often.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 10:53:54 PM
After some deliberation, I decided William shall be a brown bat.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 02:47:02 PM
This isn't really relevant but its been bugging me. What kind of forms/traits would someone with a "wizard" affinity have, exactly?

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 06:13:18 PM
A wizard affinity? I'm honestly not sure what I was thinking when I said that, but I'd say any wizard type familiar would be sufficient as well as any of the elements. Wizard would actually be somewhat unique in that it wouldn't be so good at the transforming, but would have better than average magic abilities, specifically in how much power, not how much skill. You'll see what I mean down below.

Speaking of which, I need to explain what I decided about that don't I? *sigh* here goes...

Why there isn't much magic in this universe (out of game reason)...
Okay, because everyone can turn into different stuff, that's a pretty majorly powerful and useful ability. So in order to balance this out, I'm making magic itself pretty low. This means no spell slinging with fireballs, transfiguring other people, flying, etc. Of course since you can just turn into a fire elemental or something with wings, this really won't be a problem for most people.

How what magic exists works and why it's so difficult (in game reason)...
Anyway, magic will essentially be on a hedgewitch level, make something glow, light a fire, make something small float or invisible, stuff like that. It is possible to get more complicated stuff like fireballs or ground shakes or whatever, but it's like.... a song. Assuming you have enough power to do so, casting a spell is like thinking a song. The easier the spell is, the easier the song is and you can hold it in your head without much trouble. But the harder the spell gets, the longer and more complex the song becomes until you can no longer hold the whole thing in your head at a time for the duration of the song. If you're lucky the spell just fizzles out. If you're not lucky, part of it will take effect and it will pour out of control in a sort of whiplash. So basically the result is that harder spells take a lot of focus for a lengthy amount of time. Calling a thunderstorm would be like conducting a symphony in your head single-handedly. This isn't really something you can improve at much like you can with transformations so what you start with is what you get. Even if you are somehow really good, it usually takes too long to cast most spells to be useful.

So that's how magic is hard. This is how it's easy...
Right, because magic is low and technology is also pretty low, and I like things to be cool, this is where magitech comes in. People who are better at magic that usual tend to go into business as mage-smiths. They go through that whole difficult process of setting up the spell and then they tie it into something. Maybe it's a crystal, maybe it's related to the spell, maybe it's something else entirely, but the net result is something that has the spell permanently tied into it which can be used over and over without having to deal with casting it each time. Now when you normally cast it, you power it from yourself, but these artifacts don't generate energy the way people do so they instead draw off ambient energy in the environment.

Powering spells
Okay, usually people naturally generate excess energy (exception being when they're sick or injured and need the extra energy for themselves). This is generally called a person's aura and tends to extend an arms length away before dissipating. And before anyone asks, no this is not generally visible to people. Anyway, in places where a lot of people live, this sorta saturates the air and no longer just dissipates. So after a while places where people live acquire their own aura. Artifacts feed off of this and charge themselves so that they're usable. While creating this I realized that it's very similar to the lux system found in Tales of the Questor. I haven't actually come up with a name for this energy, but let's call it 'aura' for the meanwhile.

Notes on transportation
Since there's no gravity just about anything can travel from one island to another. The only things to consider are maneuverability, propulsion, and ability to not crash land. The first two issues are solves by any number of things including paddles, fans, etc. The last issue is generally solved with engines being made with chunks of islands in them. This establishes an artificial gravity throughout the ship and has the bonus that when it suddenly enters a gravity field it doesn't crash but rather continues to float. In order to not clutter, ships are generally docked under an island. In order to leave, the engine is turned upside down momentarily so that the bottom gravity of the island thrusts it away aided by the ship's own 'lift'. (this is why people should probably strap in or hold onto something during taking off)

Notes on flora and fauna
In a world where everyone can transform, how does this effect the animals? Well generally animals have a much more limited transformative ability with a pretty specialized affinity on their species. Basically this means a cat will always be a cat but it can grow fins or wings, enlargen ears for heat venting, etc in order to undergo quick adaption to a new environment. This means that any species can go just about anywhere they want, though they'll be recognizable as the same species usually. You'll find schools of fish flying through the air, foxes in every environment imaginable, and even cats that swim! Okay, maybe not that last one... cats hate water no mater what tweaks are made to them...

Ecosystems can exist in a few different ways. You're all familiar with how it (likely) works in a gravity setting, but they pop up in between islands too. When clouds of water form but don't actually dump anywhere, seeds will sometimes be caught in them and start to grow. Once the plants start growing, small herbavores come in and the system grows similarly. After a while you end up with these floating jungles that just wander around. It is theorized that if such a jungle exists long enough it will turn into an island of its own, but there are no records of this actually happening.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:15:05 PM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.