Author Topic: Wanting to start writ... er, DRAWING, would like to know where Vimir started  (Read 30686 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
blorg! Well, there goes that idea. Better stick to pencils then =(

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Don't worry, pencils are fun, too. Remember, I started using a tablet, but then discovered that I loved working with pencil so much more that all my tablet is doing is gathering dust. But, whatever method you decide to use, make sure you post it here! ]:) We'll be waiting!

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Ok! Here's my finished product...

I think it turned out well for a first attempt. Few questions though based on how I saw Vimir use it in the stream:

1. Which tool produces the pencil/ink-like effect? I couldn't figure out how to reproduce it.

2. While colouring, how did he manage to keep it between the lines >>
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:09:33 PM by Pontos »

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
In SAI, Virmir used the Pencil 'brush' for the initial sketch, but for the Inking stage, he added a 'Line work Layer' and used the 'Pen tool'

I'm sure Vir will give a more detailed answer later, but he basically uses the tablet PC's pen to basically draw on the screen like it was a piece of paper, and he places the Ink layers on top of the colouring layers.

(I'm just saying stuff as he got me to use SAI + the fact I keep bugging him on how he uses it)

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Nice, Lloyd!

Yep, that's correct.  Each color is on it's own layer underneath the linework layer.  And the nice thick lines are a result of the pen tool on a linework layer in SAI. These are vector lines, meaning I can resize them without any loss in quality and even move them around, change thickness, etc.  Really useful stuff if you're ever interested in getting into SAI.

[fox] Virmir

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Oh. I've been using the pen tool but it doesn't seem any different apart from the type of the line it creates. How do you make a vector line?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
You don't see much of a difference when drawing the lines, but afterward you can go into edit mode and drag the points of the line around to change the curvature, or edit the pressure of the line to adjust thickness.  Also if you resize the drawing, the vector lines won't degrade in quality.

[fox] Virmir

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
So they're used to alter proportion?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
That's one possibility.  The general rule is if you want crisp, solid lines, vectors are better.

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Grrrrr, you vector people and your crisp, clean lines. It can show naught of the human condition!

(Just saying that Vector gives you that Virmir-like, smooth, computery look, but using raster((non-vector)) tools can give you a nice sort of look, too.)

Ummmmmm, using a mouse for raster computer drawings is REALLY hard. If you're doing that, vector might be the way to go.

....I look forward to your next drawing!

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Geo Holms

• Raccoon with Hat - Will Travel
    • View Profile
Ooo, thanks for asking this stuff Lloyd, it saves me from inquiring the same things.  ]:P I'm usually a casual "ink by paint tool" fellow (and ink by Photoshop's Ink Pen with the mouse) but I shall have to look into this strange land of vector. Either with SAI...or the fancy Illustrator CS4 the college compys happen to have. Been wondering how Virmir got thos fancy (and crispy) lines.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Uhh, how do I go into "edit mode" anyway?

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Grrrrr, you vector people and your crisp, clean lines. It can show naught of the human condition!

(Just saying that Vector gives you that Virmir-like, smooth, computery look, but using raster((non-vector)) tools can give you a nice sort of look, too.)

Well really, you dont need vector to get Virmir's "look", he just used) a Round, Pressure sensitive, brush with no Opacity change (ie: when pressing harder with the pen, it only changes the diameter of the brush, not how dark it is). Its a basic Brush in many Digital Art programs, Photoshop, Corel Painter, OpenCanvas, etc etc, you could easily take any of these and get the same type of brush if you fiddled with it.

The vector stuff, really just makes it easy to resize the lines, + it has a 'Smoothing' effect on the lines too (its a setting that can be set, in SAI) Vir told me before he uses... 0 or 8 for sketches and I think 15 for Inking.

I think the real 'secret' to his style' is more of the fact he uses the tablet PC to draw his stuff, where in making a line he would naturally go from soft-hard-soft in pressure to get the Inked line look. You could emulate it through Photoshop or SAI but the whole process is 100x harder, where you would need to manually tweak each line to emulate the thickness differences.

Uhh, how do I go into "edit mode" anyway?

In SAI, and you've made a 'Linework Layer', right underneath the 'Pen' tool is the 'edit tool'. But To fiddle with a Vector lines thickness, use the 'Pressure tool' (which is the to the right of the edit tool) then the lines will start showing those green dots again, where you can drag them to make the vector line in that area, thicker or thinner.

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Ok! Final question! I've made another picture on SAI but it's smaller than I'd like. Is there any way to scale it to a larger size without redrawing it?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
In the top menu, go to Canvas -> Change Resolution, then enter how big you want it to be.  Your vector layers will scale up with out a loss in quality, but your normal layers may get a bit blurry, depending on how big you go.

[fox] Virmir