Author Topic: Loose Ferrets: Seeking the Glen  (Read 8778 times)

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:32 PM
This is my part of a trade with Traxer, about a little adventure in a certain artists head...

-----------------------

The untapped territories of an artist’s imagination are vast and empty. White space goes for miles in all directions, nothing changing, nothing stirring. In many ways it is a blank canvas waiting for someone to apply the brush, and send the critters scurrying away to create new ideas.

It is among this sea of white that Geo, the Artist’s Muse, thought to himself about what to do. A big project had come up for the Artist, and of course, a big project needs a lot of ideas. Unfortunately, the idea rodents had been few and far between, and while the wacky inspiration ferrets had been running around in their usual crazy fair, they had not popped up more than a few small fragmented mice. Thus, Geo sat there, wondering what he could do to spur the creation of the creatures.

As the Raccoon sat there pondering, a familiar grey and white bear-dog like creature came up over the horizon. Seeing Geo he greeted him “Hey Geo, How’s your day been going?”

“Oh hey Ronts,” Geo said as he sat on his thinking stump “it’s been alright, just haven’t been able to find a lot of ideas, and the project’s deadline is starting to loom. Just wish I could find a nice group of ideas to weed and pick from.”
   “What about the ferrets?”

“Eh, they seem to be more interested in playing games of hide and seek and carpet shark than hunting the critters. You know how fleetly inspiration can be after all.” Geo said as he sighed. “If only I could find how I got to the brainstorming Glen.”

“Brainstorming Glen? What’s that?”

“Why you have never heard of the Glen? I’m surprised I haven’t spoken of it. The glen is this legendary place where ideas like to cultivate in high numbers. That would probably solve the idea drought problems, but I can’t remember how to get there...”
   “Why not see if the Ferrets know”

Geo looked up to Ronts and got up from the stump, “You know, you may be right,” he said began to walk off, to which Ronts followed curiously in tow.

Walking a short distance, the two of them spot a small group of ferrets running in circles, chasing each others tails, and slithering around a large shag rug. (Some with foam shark fins on their backs). The ferrets stop and look at the two as they walk up, their tails and heads twitching in stark curiosity.

Taking a quick moment to make sure he has the group of Ferret’s attention, Geo cleared his throat and said “Would any of your know how I would find the Brainstorming Glen? I kind of need to find it to help build up a big idea.”

The Ferrets look to each other with looks of intrigue and curiosity, before grouping together and starting to rapidly squeak, the pitch of it getting higher as they go along. As fast as the squealing began although, the talking dies down, and they all look back to Geo with small smiles.

“So do you know where it is?” Geo asked again, and the Ferret’s simply nod in turn. “Great!” he replied ecstatically, but before he can get anything more out the Ferrets grins turn devious, and in a sudden flash of grey fur, they scattered off in several different directions.

“Hey wait!” Geo said as he tries to chase after one of them, only to watch it dive down a plot hole, and out of the muses reach. Growling with one final swipe at it gets away; he sighs and goes looking for the others. By this point however, all the ferrets have disappeared, leaving him defeated and wondering what to do.

“Gosh darn Inspirational Ferrets…always wanting to play…” Geo grumbled as he stat back on his stump.
“Well that’s how they work in the end and help find ideas.” Ronts replied as he walked back up.
“Well yes, but sometimes I wish they could be more…” Geo said as he began to ramble and rant. As he did, a curious plot hole opened up behind him and a ferret began crawling out.
“Umm…Geo” Ronts tried say as he saw this trying to get his attention. The words being said to deaf ears as Geo continued to rant and rave. All the while, the ferret got up and began to bend back and forth behind him, trying to stay a quiet as it could. Smoothly and silently it crawled up Geo’s back, and with a quick tug of the top, snatched Geo cap.

“What is it?” Geo says grumpily before he noticed something was wrong. Waving his hand around his ears, he realizes what happened, as the ferret ran off with a bit of a cackle. Spinning around, Geo quickly chased after it, as the ferret continued to giggle with glee. The cat and mouse antics went on and on for several minutes, all the while the ferret giggling in glee.

As abruptly as the game started however, it stopped, as the ferret suddenly stops in a circle of grey fur, allowing Geo to catch the ferret with a thud. Taking back his hat, the muse smiled, and began to step away, when he suddenly felt himself being lifted off the ground. Before he can even react however, a sudden wave of motion causes him to fall on his back, as a carpet of ferrets began to carry him along.

Confused by what’s going on, Geo tried his best to wrestle his way away from them, but for all the thrashing he did, the fuzzy carpet simply bobbed and weaved, keeping him on it. Having no luck, the muse sighed and let the ferrets carry him off.

Several minutes later, the carpet suddenly stopped, and the raccoon muse is softly set back on the ground. Getting up, Geo looked around wondering what this whole mess was for, but only finds one of the ferrets with a box of crayons in its mouth and a piece of paper in his hands. The ferret looks shyly at Geo and beckoned him to take the paper and crayons, as if it wanted to him to draw something.
Geo looked at the Ferret with a sigh. “And what good does this do me?” he remarked back at the ferret, still in a bit of a rage. The Ferret just looked back at Geo with sad face and nudged him. “Oh fine…” Geo said with a sigh and took the art materials. Sitting down, he began to think and color out what he remembered the glen looking like. The reds and yellows of spring flowers, the bright green of the grass and leaves, and the almost clear blue grey of the river that fed and flowed through the glade. Of course, the glade also had a lot of grey, as the he drew little ideas peeking in and out of the shrubbery. As he continues to color the picture he smiled.

Oblivious to him as he smiled, 7 small idea rodents each one of a different color of the rainbow slowly appeared behind him, and began to scamper about. As they moved place to place, their tails colored small parts of the area around them, which slowly expanded and formed, starting to fill out the shape of a meadow with a large pond. These shaped were slowly colored and textured as the ideas criss-crossed the plane, and as Geo finished coloring his image, the Glen was finished as well. Putting down the paper, Geo looked around in a bit a shock, before chuckling with a smile, and patting the ferret on its head.

“Hey you did it.” Ronts said as he ran into the glen, looking a little awestruck but happy.
“I guess I did” Geo replied and pulled out his net as the ideas started to appear. Smiling to Ronts and the Ferret, the three and them charged down the hill, ready to gather up as much ideas as they could, laughing all the way.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:41:34 PM
All I can really say here is "D'awww..." {:)

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:09 PM
Cool story! The ending reminds me of the commission Traxer got from Tod where Geo is painting scenery.  The plot seemed Loose Ferret-y enough to fit in the comic.  I imagined the characters in Trax's style no problem. [:)

[fox] Virmir

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:24 AM
Cool story! The ending reminds me of the commission Traxer got from Tod where Geo is painting scenery.  The plot seemed Loose Ferret-y enough to fit in the comic.  I imagined the characters in Trax's style no problem. [:)

Tod's picture was actually a bit of inspiration to the piece, and glad you liked it  [:)