Crimson Flag Comic Forums
March 04, 2015, 12:44:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 14872 times)
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2015, 08:51:32 AM »

mildly-irritated scientist
"A-Ha!"
View Profile WWW
Lt Fennec
Crimson Flag Fan

I have been playing World of Tanks. Mostly grinding through my Bishop SPG, but also working toward the KV-2.

(14:33:11) VirBot: Tvorsk logs into the Chat.
(14:34:14) * Lt_Fennec salutes
(14:36:53) Tvorsk: G'day, Lieutenant.
(14:37:00) Tvorsk: You know this is a casual place, right?
(14:38:05) Lt_Fennec: Eh, I'm saluting casually.
(14:38:15) Tvorsk: That vorks, I guess. Red Fox Grin
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »

A Quiet Scientist
"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
View Profile
BlueDragon62
Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2

I knew somewhat where to go based on previous knowledge, but did look up where to go in the later stages.  It does somewhat ruin the effect, as that really was what the game was designed around.  It's quite fascinating reading the lore and game play hints in old issues of Nintendo Power from the eighties.

Seeing what Nintendo Power had to say about it would be very interesting, indeed!  Thinking back on the state of games in the 80s, particularly ones with very cryptic secrets that were required to be discovered to finish the game (Dragon Warrior, Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Zelda, etc.), I feel it was probably a marketing strategy by Nintendo to intentionally make aspects of the games nearly impossible to figure out without the aid of Nintendo Power and other Nintendo sponsored game guides of the time.  Given that the internet wasn't available to freely provide this information as it is today, Nintendo certainly made a lot of additional revenue on these guides.

My siblings and I had a box of old NES guidebooks, Nintendo Power issues, and the like from 80s tucked away in my parents' attic.  Might be worth dredging it out the next time I visit my parents for an extended stay...certainly would be nostalgic, at the very least!
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »

Abominable abomination of abominablishness
"I maken o sense"
View Profile
Radioactive_Toast
Enchanted Weapons Expert

I remember that one forest area in the southwest of the original Zelda map where it would not let you progress unless you went in a specific combination of cardinal directions on the same repeating screen.  We actually resorting to CALLING Nintendo (remember this was back when long distance calling was serious business and cost a lot more) to get the combination... then a few months later my dad somehow lost it.

Quote from: The Pink Panther Strikes Again
François: "Do you know what kind of bomb it was?"
Chief Inspector Clouseau: "The exploding kind.  Mark my words, François, sinister forces are at work."
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »

A Quiet Scientist
"Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
View Profile
BlueDragon62
Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2

Back on topic...!

In my free time (of which there has been very little for the past several weeks), I have been booting up the old Castlevania games on various emulators, and attempting to finish them in legit play throughs (no save states, no frame slowdown, or other various emulator benefits).  Thus far I managed to finish Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, an amazing game for the PC Engine (TurboGraphix16) that was, sadly, never released outside of Japan (probably the best 'linear-style' Castlevania), and Super Castlevania 4 for the SNES.  Both were quite challenging, but certainly doable.

At present, I'm trying to beat the original Castlevania and Castlevania 3 (both for the NES).  Each of these games is far harder than the two I mentioned above, with CV3 being, arguably, the hardest in the series. As for the original Castlevania, I am stuck on Stage 5 and the Death boss battle, and in Castlevania 3 I've not even reached the point where you enter the castle yet (stuck on the stage before it).  Quite challenging, heh heh!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: