Author Topic: Islands of Infinity OOC  (Read 58682 times)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
on: June 05, 2010, 10:36:46 PM
Right, so DV has put Condition Red on hiatus for three months, which in my experience means it probably is dead now since it kind of required his presence to run. Even if this isn't the case however, this is three months where I have no RP :/

So I've decided to make one of my own. Only problem is I don't know what to make it or what people are looking for. So think about it (if you need to) and please post in this thread things you'd like to see in an RP. Magic? No magic? Modern era, olden times, futuristic, alternate universe, just what are we looking for? Ultimately I will be the one making the final decision (it's my RP dammit!) but I'll be keeping an eye out for any ideas to spice it with.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:20:52 PM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:38:09 PM
It should be... Modern Era/Futuristic with magic!
* KaiAdin cant think of specific details yet.. but yea XP

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:54:21 PM
Hmm...I would be cool with any. Kai's sounds good...altough why not have one where the ability to shift or transform is part of life.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:02:29 AM
Which brings us to another choice, any special powers... will they be widely spread and commonly known about or would they be something not very many people can do? I have an idea in mind involving a bit of a totem spirit theme, but that's subject to change and I'm still fishing for a plot.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:04 AM
Hmm....Id be fine with either. In my opinion although the more "Widely used" theme is less common place and would be cool. Transforming probably would come with some sort of limit(either times in a day, or time out of your "natural body")

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:59 AM
Or we could go the BESM route, and require alternate forms to have at least some sort of disadvantage in exchange for the greater power granted.

(BESM is an open-form tabletop RPG system, meant to be usable in any setting.  It's fun, but really hard on the GM, as since it's so scalable and powerful, there aren't many premade enemies/npcs.)

Personally, I'd like to see a future-tech world with magic and machinery.  Shapeshifting and such is all well and good, but I want a magitech cannon, personally.  

As an aside, I think it'd be cool if you threw us on an airship as crew or somesuch, but that's likely a personal bias.

Note:  No matter what you end up doing, I'm interested in participating.  Never hurts to try new things.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:39 PM
Just to throw out a few ideas, we could start out by making a list of weak-sauce powers and roll for them, then make a list of malformities that have positive and negative aspects, (such as one arm being shriveled, but the other being three times as strong,) and building around that?

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:32:13 PM
an interesting thing I'd like to throw in is the possibility of a full-on transformation for the whole body (if we're doing that) as well as focusing all the energy to a specific part of the body like your arm or leg.
Not focusing it to any particular spot allows for more stability (and thus time spent as such) while focusing on one spot would increase power, durability, speed, (or whatever else you're going for) while mirroring in cutting down the time a lot more.

personally I'd prefer the ability to be wide-spread, and modern/future sounds good.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 11:47:52 PM
Well I think this is going to be officially a widespread ability, which actually holds pretty well in mind with what I was thinking anyway. Magitech is quite admitedly amazing, though I'd have to think a bit about how that sort of thing would work. So I guess this means we'll see about the future thing on a ship. The full out vs. only part (or even for that matter only part way) definitely holds merit. As for the intentional flaw, I was thinking of limiting people to only a few forms as opposed to time or such. That's set in silly putty. Which basically means not only is it not set in stone, but it's actually likely to fall out. The BESM idea looks promising though. I might throw in a few random things like that a person will always have something in common with all forms, a sort of identifying mark if you will. Anyway, I'm still juggling ideas on this.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 05:23:56 AM
mmm! I'd rather not 'roll' for anything if possible.. a more story based thing than rolling stats/moves/etc,

Though yea, the modern magitech thing sounds awesome :3
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:26:52 AM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:02:55 AM
The 'roll for powers/malformations' is just a way to randomly assign things to make things more realistic(?) and avoid people making OP characters, by purpose or mistake

* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:37 PM
form limitations over time ones would be interesting, I think.
You'd have people with utility forms, forms for fighting, forms for.. taking care of people, somehow?

It'd sort of make people into specialized whatevers depends on what they can turn in to, and I'd imagine people would only get one or two, and thus be good at [insert thing here] while having to rely on other party members with other things.

(of course I imagine the forms themselves having disadvantages, like turning into a man made of rock would tire you out really fast! stone is heavy.)

edit: another thing to shed some more light on the whole transforming partway bit, I was thinking of sort of three ways to do it:

1.just transforming, which changes your entire form.
2.transforming just part of you, which would change to how it would be in the form you're going for.
3.in a way, "overcharging" the second option, which would be sort of funneling the transformative... whatever (magic, magitech, tech, mutant powers, etc) to create a more powerful but less stable transformation of whatever you're going for. Keep in mind physics and stuff still apply, so fleshy body + arm made of granite = altered center of gravity.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:05:05 PM by Fen »

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:57:02 PM
Well now this is interesting... I didn't expect people to start suggesting elemental transformations here.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 06:25:16 PM
elements can do interesting things that flesh and bone can't.
But, how are we gonna decide on what system to use?

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 07:53:50 PM
I'd imagine for the form switch, it'd be best to have 1 animal form, which will be called full form for ease, a mid-form of that animal, and an element, who's effectiveness would be boosted in full form and weaker the more human the user gets, but still plenty potent at zero form.