Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:25:11 PM
I thought it was really cool.  I tend to like dark, deep stories like that on occasion, honestly.  Nice work. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:55:20 AM
Aw...I've written some pretty depressing stories in my time, too. But this one definitely takes the cake. ]:(

It took two read-throughs, but I almost understand the story now.

The story is about a kid, who, due to a mistake that killed his two-year old sister, intends to kill himself. His life is full of sadness, due to his past, and due to his current life. The only achievement he has ever gained is an award for diving, that he doesn't even know where it went. Without anything to live for, he feels he must do this.

An interesting link. The sun and water. In brightness, there can only be life and death. But the water is a mirror to the sun. It looks as if it has life, but it is just a false reflection.

In darkness, things are blurred, there is both hope and fear.

Melancholy has a deep sadness beyond anything that Richard has ever seen. Once she shows him this, he breaks down. In the darkness, she sees hope in him in addition to his sadness.

Errrrr... in conclusion?

This torrent, this downpour of light leaves no doubt.  The sun shines truth at you from every window, every puddle, every warm spot on the road.

Melancholy cannot offer life. She can only offer mercy. As Richard looks into her eyes, she strips this light from him. She takes the sadness away, but also the truth. Thus, he will have a life, of a sort, without truth, but without sadness, either.

But she knows better. He will not have a true life. He can only live life through the darkness, not through truth. A pleasant lie, a mercy.

Creeeeeeeeeepy..... ]:O

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 05:32:32 PM
So my question is... the first two attempts to reach him, who were they? The caller that knew his name might be Mellanie herself, but who was the man talking about the mirror?

Also, to me, what Mel did is just as bad as death is, if not even worse. But then things like that are really up to perception.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:06:49 PM
Great imagry in this; you really breath some atmosphere into it.   
Mmm... Tragedy... ]:) So, so delicious...
...I should probably stop being creepy now.

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️