Author Topic: GOGGLES!!!...no  (Read 6914 times)

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
on: February 20, 2010, 10:35:51 AM
We've all seen how much Sir Voltar likes his goggles. But are goggles really that great? My own experience might speak otherwise.

I’ll have to be honest: goggles aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.

I bought into it just as much as everyone else, after seeing the legendary drawing http://virmir.artspots.com/image/42174/goggles. I mean, goggles just have a certain flair to them.

After I’ve spent the day wearing goggles, I’ll repeat my analysis: goggles aren’t all they’re cracked up to be.

Last night, due to an unfortunate circumstance, my glasses broke. One of the miniature screws came undone. If you’ve ever worn glasses, you know what a pain those are. They require the absolute smallest flat-head screwdriver ever made in the history of man in order to get them screwed in. Thus, without the screw tightened properly, the lens on the right side popped out.

Fortunately for me, I had GOGGLES! You know, prescription sports goggles? Previously, I just used them for playing dodge ball at school. Since I really just felt too lazy to go to the kitchen and get a screwdriver to repair my glasses, I just put my goggles on instead.

Sure, goggles have some problems. There’s the fact that they press against your face, causing a minor pain similar to a headache. And, of course, there’s the strap that cuts into your ears.

But the worst part of wearing goggles is the tunnel vision. You don’t notice it at first, but as you wear them throughout the day, you’ll find that you gradually start to lose touch with the world around you. First, you jump when someone taps you on the shoulder. Then, you fail to notice as someone walks right next to you.

I put up with it, though. I mean, I just didn’t feel like repairing my glasses.

But then, as usual, Mom came into the picture.

She was leaving for a dentist appointment. But really, she was just saying that she was preparing to leave for a dentist appoint, or fixin’ to get ready to leave for a dentist appointment, when she popped into my room.

“What’s with the goggles?”

“Oh, my glasses just broke a little, but don’t worry about it.”

Naturally, I forget that the phrase “don’t worry about it” sends Mom into a full-fledged panic attack. This happens with nearly everything in her life. For example, when “Mad Cow” was on the news, she decided that we needed to abstain from all beef products. We instead turned to Bison burgers (which we found tasted really, really good, so we kept eating them after the scare was over.)

“Do we need to take them to the eye doctor?” she asked, her eyes bulging.

“No, I just need to screw them back in.”

“We need to get them fixed!”

“I know. I can fix them.”

“Do you want to come with me to the dentist so we can…”

“Actually, you know, I’ll just fix them right NOW.”

I rose from my chair, with my goggles over my eyes. I went to the kitchen where we had the miniature screwdrivers in a small box. I laid my glasses on the kitchen table and opened to box. Oddly enough, the smallest one was missing from the box. I checked in the drawer.

“I can pick up a glasses repair kit from the pharmacy on the way back, they’ll probably have something like that,” she added, as I searched through the drawer.

“I don’t need a glasses repair kit. I just need to find the right screwdriver.”

“Would a kit have the right…”

“Mom,” if she kept this up, she would be late for her dentist appointment. It was an EASY FIX. All I needed was the right screwdriver, darn it!

It would be much easier than last time. Last time this happened, I didn’t have goggles. So when I tried to get the screw into my glass frame, I could hardly see what I was doing. Then the screw came out and fell onto the floor, where it was so small it looked like a speck of cereal. At least this time I could see what I was doing.

I looked downstairs, perhaps Dad took the screwdriver out and put it on the tool bench? I checked over it with my goggles. Nope. Perhaps I didn’t need a screwdriver…I mean, it was a flat-head screw, so any thin, non-flexible object would work.

“I’ll stop by the store on the…”

“No, don’t worry, I can do it.”

“All you need is a kit.”

“No, I’m just being defensive about my own abilities,” I totally just said that.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I don’t even need a screwdriver. ANY flat object will do to screw the screw back in!”

“But…”

“I’ll be fine.”

As she left, I was trying the screw with a sharp knife. Then I decided to heat up lunch. And then I realized something. I forgot one of my primary rules.

“Never reject someone who is offering to help you.”

I took on this rule upon realizing that a lot of my life was spent struggling against people who were trying to help me. And I forgot it yet again. As Sir Voltar would say, “HOLY FRAZZ!”

She wasn’t trying to hinder me. She was offering to HELP me, to go OUT OF HER WAY to make it so I could repair my glasses more easily, and I said, “Nope, I’ll do it all myself. I don’t need any of YOUR help.” I recognized what I was doing when I said I was being “defensive,” but I forgot to change my behavior. Curses, foiled by myself yet again.

A lot of our lives are spent in goggles, tunnel-visioned so much that we can’t recognize help when we see it. So down with these goggles. Sorry, Voltar, but this whole goggles thing just isn’t for me.

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:45:42 PM
An Interesting anecdote Lopez, but I'm pretty sure most people realize the lack of utility on actually using goggles full time for daily use... Its just a meme thats kinda permeated the net, and infused itself into everything..And I would suppose in Voltars Case his Bubbly personality, mans he would be silly and do such a thing.

If anything.. though You were just trying to make your mom not worry too much about you and that you could handle it, I wouldn't say thats Tunnel Vision at all, just trying to make her life a bit easier and less stressful, but yea in the end you should have accepted the offer for the kit. Just don't get too hung up about refusing her help, she seemed like she was half panicking.. and you just calmed her down. anyway.. you can surely go out later to get one yourself or I guess even called her when she was done.

In the end... you used the goggles as a metaphor for peoples narrow vision when considering things and helping people, which for me divorces the googles from the Pictures (and Voltars) intent. I'm sure In the comic universe they are immensely useful for Voltar and they deserve the Adoration he gives them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:49:45 PM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:00 PM
FASCINATING...

But the GOGGLES... do they represent GOOD or EVIL...?

And that BEGS the question... what is GOOD, and what is EVIL...?

[;)

[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 01:17:06 AM
Oh please, everyone makes that joke when Lopez does anything. It's overdone. Now what I found fascinating was the way he used his situation as an analogy to life. Often times people will go out of their way to do things the hard way in order to see themselves as self sufficient. In this particular instance his mother represented temptation, the easy way out that you are too proud to accept, so instead you waste time and effort trying to prove to yourself that you do not need help, that you can stand proud and tall on your own without the need of some crutch. The lack of a screwdriver only affronts your pride further, challenging you to take the easy way out but spurring you to greater effort.

*nods* clearly this insight can be perfectly compared to paying your taxes. (sorry, couldn't resist ^.^;)

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.