Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 9302 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
on: November 26, 2009, 04:11:13 PM
Jonas silently crept along the forest floor, his padded paws muffling any sound. The air was still—the fox’s scent uncarried by its breeze. After swivelling his ears to make sure he was alone, Jonas lowered his head to the ground and took a deep sniff. Dirt, leaves, and squirrels filled he nose—but the hunter blocked them out. Only one prey was important—only one scent mattered. Jonas followed the aromatic trail deeper into the trees, constantly flexing his ears to check for other predators after the same quarry. Within minutes he had found it—a rabbit sitting in the shade of a tree, oblivious to Jonas’s presence. Without making a sound he slipped through the brush and positioned himself behind the creature. Drawing on his most primal skills, Jonas leaped out of the bushes.

The rabbit never saw him coming.

Helplessly pinned beneath the his paws, the rabbit was motionless as Jonas snapped its neck. The fox extended his claws and cracked open its torso before feasting upon its milky flesh. As the smooth chocolate met his tongue, Jonas revelled in the success of the hunt. Sometimes the instincts just need to be satisfied.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 04:36:02 PM
ahh! the ending was somewhat surprising!

* KaiAdin wonders if Jonas has a really good imagination... or what a chocolate bunny be doing alll along out in the forest ]:P

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:34:02 PM
Mmmmmm...this story makes me hungry...I've seen this joke done so many times before, but the way you did it was amazingly fresh. Hmmm...what would a chocolate bunny smell like to a fox?

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:09:50 PM
Gah ha ha! Awesome. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 08:43:27 PM
Mmmmmm...this story makes me hungry...I've seen this joke done so many times before, but the way you did it was amazingly fresh. Hmmm...what would a chocolate bunny smell like to a fox?

Very good?

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:38:09 PM
Hmmmmm...maybe not, Geary. Chocolate is...um...bad for canines and other small mammals due to digestive issues. Might they, then, evolve an aversion to the smell of chocolate?

Then again, the fox's smell could just be the human (who was transformed into the fox)'s sense of smell amplified. But then....THEN....does the perception of smell become altered by transformation of form from human into fox? Hm.....

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:16:06 AM
This isn't mentioned anywhere in the setting specifically, but my the time Jonas became a teefer it was common practice to remove theobromine (the reason dogs can't eat chocolate) from chocolates in order to appeal to a wider consumer base. And I imagine what the scent of chocolate would be the same as it would be for a human but much richer. Canid sense of smell can pick out individual components easily, but with something that's been so heavily processed like chocolate I imagine only the scent of the whole would remain.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:20:31 AM
I have a dog... if you let him he WILL eat chocolate. I don't think they have much of an aversion to that smell....

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 02:02:02 PM
One huge plus to this....with that sense of smell, you could finally know what fruit flavor is inside those Lindt truffles before biting into them.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 03:53:57 PM
Oh, arent the wrappers coloured anyway?

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 04:49:35 PM
Well...not if someone just hands you one out of the blue unwrapped and you're like "oh shoot do I eat this what if it's poisoned???" then you run away like mad trying to escape the dark-chocolate-blueberry-truffle infestation that will rot your....

I'm getting ahead of myself. But it would be interesting. *Now really wants a truffle...but can only find fruit gushers....agh*