Author Topic: A work in progress I call "Homecoming"  (Read 3982 times)

James

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
on: August 18, 2011, 10:58:19 PM
First half
When a hand closed on Jacob Duran's shoulder he immediately started awake and sat up. He was in a small cramped compartment which felt even smaller due to the size of the man sitting opposite him. He was enormous, almost filling the bench on which he sat. He wore a bright green raincoat and khaki slacks, even though there was sunlight filtering through the small window. In his right hand he held a baseball cap, with which he was fanning himself, though sweat still rolled in rivulets across his brow. His other hand was the reason Jacob had awoken.
The man withdrew his hand at Jacobs’ startled reaction and smiled awkwardly. “We started slowing down a minute ago,” he explained. “So I thought I should wake you so that you would be ready to get off this tin tube.”
Jacob nodded and stretched as well as he could in the cramped space, several joints popping in protest. He winced, I'll never get used to the cheap seats. He thought. He sat down and glanced at his other companion; a large white cat with green eyes that tracked the large mans movements. She glanced at Jacob and yawned, indicating her obvious boredom.
“That cat of yours won’t take her eyes off of me,” said the man. “I'm beginning to feel like she's trying to intimidate me.” He shook his head. “I've been in this room too long, I'm imagining things.” He stood up and the train gave a sudden lurch. He immediately sat back down again, his face a pale shade of green. He put a hand on his stomach and groaned.
   “Motion sickness?” asked Jacob.
   “Yeah,” the man said in a weak tone, “This always happens when I travel. It runs in my family. Speaking of family I seem to be forgetting my manners. My name is Maxwell Peterson, and I run the antique store in Topeske. You can call me Max, if you like” He leaned forward and extended his hand.
   “Jacob Duran,” He replied, “I'm visiting an old friend in that same town. The cats name is Faye.” Faye flicked her ears in response. He took Max's hand, noticing that for a fat man he had an incredible grip.
   The man leaned back on his seat and groaned quietly. His pallor was now nearing the color of his raincoat. Jacob pulled his duffel bag from between his legs and rummaged through a side pocket for a moment, producing a small green bottle sealed with a cork. “Here,” Jacob offered, “this will help with your motion sickness.” Faye glanced incredulously at Jacob then returned her eyes to Max.
   Max took the bottle and looked at it suspiciously. “What is it?” He asked hesitantly.
   “It's an old family remedy for upset stomach and nausea.” Jacob soothed. “I grant you, it doesn't taste the best, but I've used it dozens of times.”
   Max pulled out the cork with his teeth and sniffed the contents. Apparently deciding that it wasn't poison, he put the bottle to his lips and drained it in one gulp. He made a face, “You weren't kidding about the taste at least,” he said. He handed the bottle back, then gave an enormous belch. His face resumed its original color. “Excuse me,” he apologized. Then he grinned. “It seems you were truthful on both counts, Mr. Duran, I feel even better than when I got on the train!”
   “I try to make a habit of telling the truth,” Jacob remarked, “and please, call me Jacob.” He put the bottle back in his bag, and then glanced out the window. “It seems we're about to pull into the station.”
   “Thank God!” Max exclaimed. “I was sure that I'd roast before we arrived.” He made to pick up his bag as the train shuddered to a halt, causing him to fall flat on his face. Faye began making a strange hacking noise.
   Max pushed himself to his knees and started incredulously at the cat. “Is your cat laughing at me?” he sputtered.
   Jacob could barely conceal his own grin at the foolish scene. “More likely she's got a hairball in her throat.” he joked. As Max started to push himself to his feet Jacob shot the cat a warning glare. She shrank back but continued to laugh softly.
   Max stood and retrieved his bag. He then turned to the door, but paused and reached into his pocket. He pulled out a small business card and handed it to Jacob, who glanced at it for a moment. It read:

Max’s Old Timers
1215 Cobalt Ave.
MAXWELL PETERSON- OWNER

“THERE'S A NUMBER ON THE BACK.” MAX SAID, “PLEASE LOOK ME UP IF YOU FIND THE TIME. I'D LIKE TO SHOW MY GRATITUDE FOR YOUR KINDNESS.” HE WAVED AND PUSHED HIS WAY INTO THE THRONG OF PEOPLE WHO WERE AS EAGER AS HE TO EXIT.

“AREN'T YOU GOING TO FOLLOW YOUR NEW FRIEND?” INQUIRED FAYE CASUALLY.
Jacob glared at her. “What did you have against him anyway?” he fumed, closing the door.
“HE KEPT CALLING ME 'PRECIOUS' WHILE YOU WERE ASLEEP.” SHE COMPLAINED. “AND HE SMELLED BAD.” SHE SNIFFED CONTEMPTUOUSLY. “YOU DON'T SMELL SO GREAT YOURSELF...”
Jacob rolled his eyes. “We've been in this oven for three hours, how do you think I'm going to smell?” He brooded silently for a moment, waiting for the crowd to thin. “You shouldn't have laughed at him, either, you almost exposed yourself!”
“You could barely control yourself!” she scoffed, “And besides, I couldn't help myself! He reminded me of a Turtle flipped onto its back!” She laughed at the thought.
Jacob sighed and hoisted his bag. “We might as well get going; Father Marcus never did forgive tardiness.” Faye stuck out her tongue at the mention of the old man. Jacob laughed; a  pleasant sound. “I never could understand why you don't like him.” He remarked.
“It's nothing personal it's just... He’s so strict about some things.” She paused. “Besides, he’s obviously a dog person!” She shuddered, which in and of itself was extraordinary to watch. Jacob laughed again as he pulled the door open again. He moved through the nearly empty corridor almost silently, with Faye following at a respectful distance.
They continued through the station, which to Jacob's surprise was fairly empty. No, it isn't Jacob thought, I'm just used to the big city stations. There were roughly twenty other people on the station floor, many of them passengers of the train he had just exited. He motioned slightly to Faye and made straight for the exit.
He stepped out of the station and breathed in the first breath of home since he had left twelve years ago. It was much colder, and he put on his jacket before looking around. Spotting the church off in the distance, he made his way along the busy street; his mind racing as he pondered the reason for Marcus' summons after all these years. He hoped that it wasn't as serious as he feared.
Jacob made sure Faye was following, and then took a look at his old hometown. It hadn't changed much. Most of the buildings were built primarily of brick, or covered in fake stone. He spotted a gas station and walked over to it, making sure it had restrooms and that they were outside the building. “How will these work, Faye?” he asked, motioning to the doors.
“Are you serious!?” Faye exclaimed. She slunk over to the door labeled “Women” and sniffed at the crack beneath it. She drew back with an expression of disgust. “They smell like they haven't been cleaned in decades!”
“Faye, everything smells that way to you. Besides, we have no real choice. We need to hurry” he put as much weight on the last word as he could.
“But Jake it-”
“No buts, young lady.” he asserted. He looked up to see a woman staring at him. He blushed as he realized how he must look: standing over a cat and calling it “young lady”.
“I'm practicing for my daughter.” he offered, “I just can't seem to get through to her.” he directed the last part at the cat. She glared at him but took the point. The woman nodded warily, and then continued on her way.
He inspected the door, noting the large padlock, and then turned again to Faye, “I'm going inside to get the key. Wait for me here.” She nodded, still looking at him with contempt. He walked out to the front of the store and pushed the door open.
The station itself was nice enough, and it was well stocked from what Jacob could see. He noticed a large display of glasses with intricate designs carved into them. A bored-looking man who looked as if he could have scared a bear by glancing at it stood behind the counter in the center of the room. He glanced up as Jacob came in.
He nodded to the man at the counter and said in a familiar tone, “My daughter has to use the bathroom, would you be kind enough to lend me the key? We haven't far to go but she's being intolerable.” He shook his head in a facsimile of impatience.
The man laughed and fumbled beneath the counter for a moment. He produced what looked like a miniature traffic cone. As Jacob watched, he pressed the sides in a certain way and it popped apart. The two sides fell away to reveal a key, which was attached to the upper portion by a length of chain.
“Clever,” Jacob praised.
“You like it?” The big man grinned. “I made it myself. My father was a good craftsman, some say the best in the county, and he passed most of what he knew on to me.” The man showed great pride, both in his father and his work on the cone. Jacob asked if he could examine it, and the man agreed, popping the sides back in place. As he handed the cone over to Jacob, he noticed a nametag which simply read “Bob” 
Jacob ran his hands over the cone, slowly absorbing its contours. The orange metal seemed seamless, and when he pressed the sides as Bob had it had no effect. “I knew only one man in Topeske that could have made something like this so well and in metal no less! Was your father perhaps named Eugene Townsend?”
The big man gave a start at the mention of the name. He peered at Jacob with renewed interest. “I haven't heard that name in about five years. How did you know my father, stranger?”
“I used to send a lot of work his way on behalf of the church. He repaired the pews well, so I figured he could work on just about anything. It turns out he wasn't so much a craftsman as he was an artist. He made things I'd never seen before, and he did it in a way that could be nearly called art. He was a good man, though, and he always asked a fair price.”
Bobs gaze had drifted to a distant time and place. When he noticed that Jacob had stopped speaking, he shook his head and swallowed, trying to get rid of the lump that had formed in his throat. “You just described him to a fault, friend. What's your name?”
“My name? It's Jacob Duran,” he smiled slightly, “but you already guessed that, didn't you Bobby?”
“Jacob!” Bobby beamed, “Welcome home!” He reached across the counter and clasped the smaller mans hand. “Where have you been all these years? It broke Sandra's heart to see you go.”
Jacobs smile faded slightly, then widened again. “Speaking of pretty girls,” he countered, “I really do have one waiting outside. I'll be back in a minute.”
Leaving Bobby at the counter to puzzle out his old friends words, Jacob slipped the freed key into a pocket and headed back outside.
As Jacob turned the corner leading back toward the restrooms, he caught Faye glaring at him from atop the dumpster. “Still sore at me, I see.” he quipped. He spotted a small form lying beside it and bent to examine it. It was a small wiry-haired dog, and it was unconscious. He turned back to Faye. “Friend of yours?”
 “Ha!” Faye spat. “Very funny! You should go into comedy one of these days.” She rolled her eyes. “You go inside ‘for a minute’ and I get ambushed by a wiry bobble-head!”
Jacob watched the dogs’ chest rise and fall for a moment. “You didn’t kill him,” he mused. “I’m surprised.”
Faye looked genuinely shocked. “How could you think-? I mean, come on! I don’t like dogs, but that doesn’t mean I’d kill one just because it was bothering me!” She glanced at the stunned form. “I did however, knock it into next week.” She jumped down and landed next to the door. “Now, can I get this over with?”
Jacob absently held out the key and Faye took it in her mouth. She immediately gagged and spat it out. “Ugh! That’s disgusting, doesn’t anyone wash their hands!?”
Jacob laughed and unlocked the door. He pushed it open and Faye slipped inside and wrinkled her nose. “It smells worse than I thought it would.” She turned to Jacob and winked. “I’ll see you on the other side.”
Jacob nodded seriously and pulled the door shut.
From inside came a ripping noise, along with cracking that reminded Jacob of the time he had broken his arm. The thing that pained him most was the fact that throughout the horrible sound Faye could be heard groaning in pain. It was in times like this that Jacob wondered just how much Faye had paid for her freedom.
Stepping away from the door he tried to ignore the sounds as he bent to again examine the unfortunate dog. It was awake now and whining softly. Its eyes were crossed in a semi-comical way. He patted it on the head and it licked his hand. Jacob decided it would be alright as the door clicked open behind him.
He turned to see a pale figure with its arm outstretched.  Jacob closed his eyes quickly, he had never gotten used to the fact that Faye came out of her transformation naked.
“Come on, Jake,” Faye begged, “I’m freezing”
He silently handed her his duffel bag and the door clicked shut again. Jacob opened his eyes to see the dog on his feet and wandering slowly toward the street. Its gait was unsteady, like that of a drunk. Jacob didn’t want it to wander into traffic, so he walked up to it and picked it up. He brought it up to face level and examined its eyes. They were still crossed, and one pupil was larger than the other. “Faye, you really do go too far sometimes.” he muttered to the alley.
By the time the door opened a third time the dog had settled into Jacobs arms. A girl of about seventeen stepped out, blinking in the autumn sun. She wore a denim jacket over a light blue t-shirt and blue jeans. A pair of worn out sneakers completed the ensemble.
Physically she was striking; her pale skin seemed to magnify and reflect light so that she seemed to be enveloped in a white aura. Bright green eyes peeked out from behind hair the color of straw. Jacob noticed that her pupils were still those of a cat.
He thrust the dog out toward her. Faye hissed and jumped back, glaring.
“What’s wrong?” Jacob crooned. “I thought you’d be happy to see your little friend here.” Faye made a growling noise deep in her chest. Jacob glared at her. “Regardless, you’re looking after him until he recovers.”
“You know I hate dogs Jake.” Faye fumed, eyeing it with something close to disgust.
“That’s only because of your dual-nature.” Jacob reasoned. “You weren’t born a cat, just like you weren’t born with a spirit after you.” Faye’s eyes grew dark at the mention of her tormentor. Jacob noticed and softened his tone. “My point is,” he continued. “What we’ve been through has changed us, and some of it is neither good nor reasonable.” He looked at the dog, now sleeping in his arms. “The little girl I met so long ago didn’t hate dogs.” he whispered.
Faye sighed and held out her arms for the dog. It sniffed her suspiciously for a moment then settled into her arms. She looked him over, and then started scratching his shoulders with one hand. He grinned and started kicking his back leg. Faye laughed and the dog started, laying his head down. “He’s so thin,” Faye commented, “and skittish too. Do you think he’s a stray?”
I can’t imagine any other reason he’d be living in the alleys.” Jacob said. “Bobby should be able to sell us some food for him.”
“Who’s Bobby?”
“An old friend of mine,” Jacob explained, “He owns this station. We grew up in the orphanage together.” He said in response to her questioning glance.
“Oh” Faye nodded, then scowled momentarily, “I think I’ll have a word with him about his restrooms.” She smiled at the dog. “Are you hungry, Baxter? You want some food?” The dog stared blankly at her.
“‘Baxter’?” Jacob snickered, “What kind of a name is that? And I thought you wanted to leave him behind.”
“People can change their minds, you know.” She sneered playfully. Then she turned and started toward the front of the building.
Jacob started after her. “Why ‘Baxter’ though?” he asked again.
Without missing a beat Faye turned and nodded toward the nearby street sign. Jacob laughed as he saw that the station was on the corner of Main Street and Baxter Avenue. “That’s great,” he chuckled “she’s imaginative and classy” Faye stuck out her tongue and allowed Jacob to hold the door open for her.
“Well isn’t that sweet?” Bobby rumbled, stepping from behind the counter. “The young lady here’s fallen in love with the local stray.”
“Faye’s always had a weakness for dogs,” Jacob goaded, “Haven’t you?” Faye glared at them but couldn’t conceal a grin. “Bobby,” Jacob continued, “This is my daughter, Faye. Faye, this is my old friend Robert Townsend, formally known as Bobby Blue.” The big man gave a mocking bow.
As he stood, Bobby’s brow furrowed in thought. “Faye,” he mused, “Wasn’t that the name of Linda Thompson’s daughter?” He shrugged “Anyway, welcome to my humble outpost, fair maiden.” He began to bow again, and then stopped as he saw her face. Her eyes were brimming with tears. She hastily wiped them away and walked toward the back of the store, mumbling something about a soda.
Jacob sighed, “You weren’t mistaken, Blue.” Bobby’s eyes widened and he began to speak, but Jacob stopped him with a gesture. “I haven’t mentioned her mother in a long time, but her mu- I mean suicide still haunts her.”

Whatever it is, Trask likely made me do it. :P

James

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:34 PM
Second half
Bobby started to speak again, but Faye returned with a can of dog food and a can opener. She set Baxter in her lap and started opening the can. Bobby handed her a plate. “I’m sorry,” he said gently. “I had no idea.” She nodded and took the plate without looking at him. She put the top aside and poured the food onto the plate. Baxter ate greedily and was soon finished. He curled up beside Faye, who stroked him absently.
Bobby cleared his throat and nodded toward the door.
“You don’t need to do that” Faye asserted, her gaze never wavering from her new dog. “I’m not a baby, and it’s been a long time since mom died.” Bobby looked at Jacob, who nodded, thinking how true the first statement was. Bobby shrugged and leaned against the counter.
“So what are you doing around these parts?” he rounded on Jacob. “And while we’re asking questions, why did you leave so suddenly? Everyone thought you were dead until one night at church Marcus said you had left on an urgent assignment.”
“It’s not the time for that Bobby.” Jacob said cryptically. When Bobby started to protest he continued, “Everything will be explained when I see Father Marcus tonight. That is, if you’ll tag along?”
Bobby grunted angrily but said nothing more on the subject. “So how did you wind up with Faye, here? The last I heard she was staying with John Chavris, out by the church.”
“That was a lie.” Jacob stated flatly. Faye started and looked up.
“Jacob what’re you-”
“I already told you Faye, he’s an old friend. I grew up with this man.” He shifted his gaze back to Bobby. “We’ve been through a lot; forgive her if she doesn’t trust you as readily as I do. Suffice it to say that when Linda died I took her in, and when I was old enough I adopted her. Money has never been an issue, and I love her as if she were my own daughter.”
“You were only seventeen when Linda Thompson died, how did you get so involved with her?”
Jacob avoided his friends’ eyes. He couldn’t tell the truth, not yet. He thought quickly, and then said the first reasonable thing that came to mind. “I met her while working for Linda. She frequented the church and needed help around the house a lot, so Father Fitzpatrick asked if I would lend her some support. I worked for her about two months before she died. I’d already taken to Faye, and I wouldn’t hear of her going to a foster home or some orphanage. I’ve heard some terrible stories, Bobby, I just couldn’t abandon her. So I asked Marcus if he would help and he agreed.”
For the first time since he’d mentioned Jacob leaving, Bobby’s visage softened. “I wish I could have been there for you Jake.”
“It’s okay buddy, you got adopted, and a better man couldn’t have been chosen for the job. He winked slyly.
“Well now that you’re here is there anything I can do for you?” Bobby offered. “You look like you use a good meal.” He thought a moment, then snapped his fingers and smiled. “My wife is making chili tonight, and she always makes more than enough.”
For the first time since arriving in Topeske Jacob was genuinely stunned. “You’re married?!”
Bobby grinned. “You know I’ve always been soft for Brittany Ives, Jake. As it turned out, she had one for old Blue as well.”
“You old dog! Congratulations!” Jacob exclaimed, patting his friend on the shoulder. Bobby had seemed like the last person to settle down. “Well the chili sounds fantastic, and it’s a welcome offer, but I have to visit an old friend first.” He sighed. “Can you give me a lift?”
“Sure, but where to?” Bobby asked.
Jacob grinned wryly, “Home”

Bobby showed them out the back door to his truck. It was a shade of navy, which suited its owner just fine. As a child, Bobby's home had been ravaged by a fire and he was the sole survivor. A blue blanket was the only other thing rescued, because Bobby had slept with it. It would be his security for years to come, and Jacob had he suspicion that he'd never gotten rid of it.
Jacob climbed into the cab of his old friends vehicle after folding the seat forward for Faye.  It wasn't new, but it was better that most vehicles. It was well taken care of and didn't smell, so even Faye couldn't complain. In fact, she seemed at home beside Baxter, who was now sleeping peacefully next to her.
Bobby climbed in last and turned toward his companions. “I am correct in assuming you meant the old Luther Church, right?” he asked, “I don't know anywhere else you would call home.”
“Yes.” mumbled Jacob, taking the criticism without a remark. He apparently hadn't gained his friends trust back. “I have to talk to Marcus. It's Important.” You have no idea how important. He thought
As they pulled on to the street Jacob found his thoughts drawn to what had brought them here. He thought about growing up under father Marcus, about working as a medium in New York, and the night he'd been forced to flee with Faye. Most of all though, his thoughts went out to Sandra Gibson, the reason he'd returned.
The road was familiar, despite the changes that had been made over the years. The trees draped over the road creating the illusion of a tunnel. Houses on either side cast eerie shadows on the road, stretching out to claim all in their domain. The trucks lights cut through the gloom and kept the occupants feeling safe.
Bobby glanced in the rear view mirror. Faye met his stare and he quickly looked away. Jacob laughed, “Are you scared of a little girl, Blue?” Faye kicked him.
Bobby laughed and relaxed visibly. “I'm just getting a generous dose of nostalgia, that's all.”   He sighed, “Last time you and I were on this road we were going to pick up Sandy for the junior prom.” he saw Jacobs face brighten and grinned. “So you do remember!” Jacob punched his friend in the arm. Faye stared at them, confused.
“I'll tell you when we're alone” Bobby joked.
“I forgot how long this road can be.” Jacob muttered under his breath. Nevertheless, Faye laughed.
Bobby pulled up in front of the church. It was a sensational sight. The moon was directly behind it, casting the front in shadow, while bright light shone through the windows, promising sanctuary to the weary and weathered. Jacobs’ heart jumped.
As he stepped out a man walked out of the large doors. His white hair and slight build told of many years in this world. The bend in his back showed that not all of them had been kind. His smile when he saw Jacob standing beside the truck however, showed that time nor cruel fate had broken his spirit. He walked up to Jacob and embraced him.
“My son, you've returned to me at last!”

Inside Father Marcus' study Jacob took a cup of black coffee with relief (Bobby not so much so,) and waited for their host to return. Having not yet taken off his robes, he had gone to change. As Jacob sipped his coffee Bobby asked “Just what did bring you back, anyway?”
Jacob didn't look up. “Wait for Marcus, blue.” He slowly gazed about the room. There were several bookshelves whose contents were covered with dust, which seemed to be the general state of affairs in the room. The sole exceptions were the chairs in which they sat and the desk in front of the window, upon which sat a glass of water and an antique bible. Faye sat with Baxter in her lap looking very uncomfortable.
Suddenly Faye stood up, knocking Baxter to the floor. She looked at Jacob and gestured to the door. Jacob shook his head. “What is it?”
Faye looked at Bobby and sighed. “He's coming Jacob. He found me again.”
Bobby looked perplexed. “Who's coming?”
Jacob ignored him. “You know what to do, Faye.” He glanced at Bobby. “There's a bathroom behind that door,” he said, pointing behind Bobby. “Do it in there. He'd have learned in a few minutes anyway.”
Faye looked too scared to argue, and ran inside and closed the door. Immediately the sounds of Faye's transformation began. Bobbys face paled and he ran to the door.
“She's fine, blue.” Jacob stated. Bobby just looked at him and started yanking on the handle. Jacob ran up to him and grabbed his arms from behind. Bobby, who by now was completely panicking, started to fight him. Jacob held on as long as he could, but his friend was much bigger and very scared.
Bobby threw him back into his chair and held him down. “What's going on here, Jacob?” he growled into his face. “Those sounds aren't healthy, and you don't seem bothered at all. You've been lying since you got here, I could tell. We've been best friends since I can remember, so why can't you just trust me?”
Jacob stared into his friends face for a minute then said, “It's not that simple, blue.” Bobby sighed and sat down. The bathroom door opened and Faye, now a large white cat once more, came out dragging her clothes. She looked up at Bobby who couldn't comprehend what he was seeing.
“Uh, surprise?” she ventured.
Bobby stared at her for a minute and put his head in his hands. Jacob tapped his shoulder and offered him a flask from his bag “You might need this.” he said with a grin.
Meanwhile, Faye had sauntered over to her chair and sat down next to Baxter. The dog sniffed her confusedly.
“I don't think that will suffice.” said Father Marcus Coleman from the door. He walked in and sat behind his desk, now wearing a black sweater and loose jeans. He pulled a fifth of whiskey and three glasses from a drawer and filled them. “So, I see you boys have been reacquainting yourselves.”
Jacob took two glasses and handed one to Bobby. “It's good to see you again Marcus.”
“I feel the same, though I wish it were under better circumstances, my son.”
“You mentioned Sa-”
“Jacob, your friend is lost.”
Jacob looked over at Bobby, who sat cradling his whiskey and staring at Faye. “Oh.” He turned back to Marcus, “Will you tell him or should I?”
“Let's do it together.” Marcus decided. He looked Bobby up and down, and then clapped his hands.
Bobby started. “Huh?”
“Pay attention, Robert.” scolded Marcus. “We won't have time to repeat this. I'll wager you were wondering where Jacob has been these twelve years, Hm? For you to completely understand, I'll need to start at the beginning.
“I met Jacobs’s parents in an unusual way. John Duran and Susan Marshall came to me separately, both seeking to escape their previous lives in different ways. John had come to   Minnesota looking to start over after losing his finances to a gambling addiction. Susan sought to escape an abusive ex-husband. Both came here, to St. Luther's Catholic Church. I welcomed them with open arms.
“Eventually they both became devout followers of the church. They were the closest this town had to monks. It seems they thought of themselves that way too. This was to be a big problem for Jacob.
“You see, John and Susan had fallen in love and wanted to be married, but thought by doing so they would be forced to give up their lives at the church. Therefore they romanced in secret, mostly innocent enough things. Seeing a movie occasionally, a picnic in the park, and other such things. But once in a while their more primal desires got the better of them. On one such occasion, they conceived Jacob.
“Disgusted with what they'd done, they did something unspeakable. Unable to think of anything else, they tried to drown Jacob after he was born.”
“What?” Bobby exclaimed. “Why didn't I know about this?”
“Some things are better left forgotten my son, but in this case the consequences of their actions would be worse than anyone could have guessed.
“You see, Bobby, I caught them in the act and saved the baby. However, he had been dead for about a minute before I could revive him. The doctors didn't know whether he'd live. As for his parents, I called the police and they were tried and convicted with child abuse and attempted murder. Unfortunately, they couldn't stand themselves afterward and ended up hanging themselves in prison.
“Jacob pulled through and I took him into my care. I felt horrible about what his parents had done, and also responsible in a way.”
“What happened to me wasn't your fault, Marcus.” Jacob comforted.
“I know, son. I just wish I could have prevented it. I should have made it clear to them how important life is. “
“By the time I was three, I realized that my parents were still a part of my life.” Jacob took up the tale. “If I was in danger or doing something wrong, they'd warn or scold me as the situation warranted.”
“Wait a minute, Jacob.” Bobby put in, “Your dead parents scolded you? This is getting a little too weird for me.”
Faye jumped up in his lap and put her face in his. “Me you can believe, but this is too weird?”
Bobby blushed, “Point taken.”
She sat down in Bobbies' lap and
“As I see it,” Marcus continued, “Jacobs encounter with death gave him a unique glimpse into the spirit world. Or at least those that are earthbound, anyway.”
“I can see and hear them, and they me. I've spoken with Saint Luther, for example, who is here because he loves this church so much.”
Bobby glanced around nervously. “Is he here now?”
“I don't know. I've learned to ignore it when I can. Let's see...”
Jacob closed his eyes and concentrated on his thoughts, freeing his mind and slipping into the part of him that didn't belong. He opened his eyes and squinted against the glare.
“What's wrong?” asked Bobby.
“Everything seems brighter when I look into their world.” he replied. He gazed slowly around the room. Their were two old men arguing in a corner. Jacob presumed they were buried here. Passing over them, he saw a man dressed in white standing beside Marcus and glaring at the whiskey bottle. Jacob laughed. “Yes, he's here. And he disapproves of your drinking, Marcus.”
“Any sane man would drink in this situation.” Marcus quipped.
Jacob also sensed a shadowy figure hovering just out of his range. “You were right, Faye, he's here.”
Bobby looked around the room. “Who? Is he dangerous?”
Jacob sighed. “Yes, and he's the real reason I left. I won't speak his name, but I can tell you the story.” Fayes eyes lost focus and she shuddered. She jumped down and lay down beside Baxter, who watched her warily.
“When I realized what I could do, I used my gift to learn from the dead. I communed with ancient members of the clergy, such as our beloved saint Luther.” The specter bowed for Jacobs' amusement. “I also communicated with stranger folk, such as alchemists and self-proclaimed magicians, but there was a darker side to the world I could see. People who've been unfortunate enough to meet one have called them demons. They are evil people, Bobby. So evil that their influence extends beyond death. One in particular has plagued me since I was seventeen. This is his name.” Jacob grabbed a pen from the desk and wrote 'Travis' on his hand. He showed it to Bobby, who nodded.
“When I was seventeen a woman came into the church claiming that her family was being plague by an evil presence in their house. She had been in before but had never looked worse, like she hadn't eaten in days. Although I'd never encountered a hostile spirit before, I had thought I was ready to handle it, so I went with her to her house. It was terrible. A feeling of pure hatred emanated from him. The woman I spoke of was named Linda Thompson.”
Bobbie’s eyes lit up with recognition. “You mean-?”
“Yes,” Faye said in a small voice, “she was my mother.”
“Although I had no idea why,” continued Jacob “this particular spirit hated every living thing around it. It had targeted Linda and was attacking her mind. I used everything I'd learned and all my strength trying to fight him off, but one night while I slept, he forced Linda to leap from the roof, in front of her daughters eyes.” Faye buried her head in Baxter's fur. The dog was still baffled but didn't protest.
“He then turned his attention to Faye, who was very vulnerable in her state of shock. I managed to hold him off long enough to ask an ancient and powerful sorcerer about evil spirits, and he told me that demons recognized their victims thought patterns. I used this knowledge to make a plan. An ancient alchemist had given me a recipe for a transformation potion, and I used this to change Fayes form and therefore, her thought patterns. Unfortunately the potion was permanent and transformation is extremely painful. When he'd realized his prey had escaped, the demon went into a rage, demolishing a large part of the Thompson house and knocking me unconscious. When I awoke he was still there and I was forced to leave town to escape.
“We've been making a living as best we can, but it's been tough. I've had to rely on my unique skills more than once to get by.”
“What do you mean by that?” asked Marcus.
“Selling potions as alternative medicines, holding séances, and things like that.” said Jacob. “But enough of me, why did you contact me, Marcus?”
“Oh, yes. I was so happy to see you I forgot! A few days ago I was approached by Cassandra Gibson, your old friend, if I'm not mistaken, Jacob.”
“You're not.” Jacob supplied. It was true, and more than that, he'd loved Cassandra fiercely. They had grown up together, and Jacob had intended to marry her the first chance he got. He'd even proposed once. She declined, but she was only 15 at the time.
“I thought so.” Marcus replied. “Anyway, she approached me and said that her daughter had been acting strangely lately. Sneaking out at night, coming home with torn clothes, and acting extremely paranoid. I didn't think much of it until two days ago, when Sandra called saying Jenny had come home covered in blood, without a scratch on her.”
“What?!” Over the course of the 12 years he'd been gone, Marcus had kept him up to date on what was going on in Topeske. He knew that Sandra had gotten married 2 years after he left, and that she had a seventeen-year old daughter, Jennifer. What bothered him was the feeling of déjà vu he got from the tale, like the events of his past were about to repeat themselves. A nervous glance from Faye showed she felt the same.
“I sent the letter soon after that. You are the only person I know that I trust with this Jacob.” Marcus gave him an appraising look. “I hope you're ready for this. I know what it did to you last time.”
“Does she still live in the same house?” Jacob asked. Rising to his feet.
“Yes.” Marcus replied.
“Can I catch another ride from you Bobby?”
“That depends...” replied Bobby hesitantly.
“Depends on what?”
“Are you going to propose to her again?”
Faye gawked at Jacob for a minute, and then started laughing.

Whatever it is, Trask likely made me do it. :P

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:20 PM
I like this. It starts out a little slow, but you do build details on the setting and characters steadily as it progresses. The end of the second half is a bit of an info-dump, but it's not too bad since we want to know all of this by this point of the story anyway. I can't say I've heard of a magic transformation potion used as a means to escape an evil ghost before. [;)

Cool stuff! Looking forward to reading more. [:)

[fox] Virmir