Author Topic: The Aether Sword - Crimson Flag OC tournament.  (Read 59215 times)

PrincessToyTime

• Chaotic Good Pooltoy/Plush hybrid Alicorn Princess
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • For my friends, with my friends, forever.
    • View Profile
    • Trask's FA! [Warning: Contains Toys, Tails and TF!]
Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 04:35:04 AM
Once again, here is my last second entry. [;)

EDIT: Second one is the edited version that hopefully weeded out the grammar issues. [:)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:07:41 PM by Trask »

(16:30:39) Virmir: You are a pony by default now? GAH HA HA
(16:31:04) Virmir: I never knew any true ponies.
(16:31:14) Virmir: I quite like your pony look.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 01:27:05 PM
5 out of 8 so far-- not bad! I'm not sure if Cirrulean meant June 4th, US time (feel free to correct me, Cirr), but I think that's a good idea since most people here are from North America. Please get your submissions in tonight!

[fox] Virmir

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 01:51:17 AM

WOOO! 11:50PM Arizona time!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:25:39 AM by Donnie »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:04 AM
Awesome. [:)  That's a wrap on the first round of submissions!  We will take a look at the entries and post the results soon. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 10:17:09 PM
Well hope you don't mind this submission is late. Or that I'm not supposed to be actually fighting this guy. Or that my character was never actually registered. But when I read the description of Anter's character I just HAD to write this.

It's a bit rushed but I got out the gist of it that I was going for. I was trying to go for a 1980s cartoon feel basically.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Cirr

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • My DA gallery
Reply #35 on: June 12, 2011, 03:34:14 PM
Hey people,
here's my vote :

Round 1 - Results

Fight 1: Aeyer (Trask) vs ZeZe (Geary)

Geary, I definitely liked your intro, that was a clever way to make your character entering
the tournament. You do have a point here, plus a bonus for the humor.
I have to say that I really like your character too, it's quite original.

However, the idea of a fake spirit controlling Aeyer during the battle, though a good one, is not well
used. I mean, it would have been better to see Aeyer struggling against this fake spirit, for example.
In other words, you would have needed to explore this idea a bit more.

Trask, your submission is overall good but... I think you didn't get what I told you about Cirr.
I didn't see the wind spirit I created, but a completely different character.
That plus I've got a feeling that your submission was a bit rushed too.
Too bad, you could have explored Cirr/Aeyer relationship a bit more...

So, my vote goes to Geary.
Thanks for playing,Trask, and remember, you can still write as a spectator. This would be an occasion for character
development

Fight 2: Banelure (Zavier) vs Ezctal (Anter)

Obviously, since Anter left the tournament, Zavier goes to the second round.
I'm going to tell you what I think of your submission though.

Well, the fight is well done,it's really nice to read.
But, the problem is that it's a bit too short. You would have needed a more developed intro as well as a hint
of a background story...
Keep that in mind for the next round.

Fight 3: Greg (Donnie) vs Bedisa (Medik)

One word : awesome!
This match was really hard to judge. Both players made a great submission with interesting characters.
They are equal to me, and choosing a winner was very hard for me.
Why you two had to fight at the first round... curse the random bracket generator.

My vote goes to Donnie, because of the little hint of silly humor, but believe me, it was really tight.

Fight 4: Red (Alias) vs Tijin (TheTai)

Well Alias is the obvious winner here since we had no signs from TheTai...
I don't understand that... why registering for a event like this when you show up only two times a year?...oh well...

Alias, you do have a great writing style, and your submission was really pleasent to read.
You just need an intro and it would have been really excellent.
Your character is also very interesting, and I'm looking forward for the next round,to see how you are
going to develop the story.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:40:12 PM by Cirrulean »

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:53 PM
Kit, awesome that you decided to write something inspired by this.  Though you're outside the official tournament, I'll take a look at it and give my thoughts soon. [:)

And now, my thoughts on the entries. [;)

My official votes are behind spoiler tags at the bottom of each section!

Aeyer (Trask) Vs ZeZe (Geary)
--------------------------------------

I generally liked both these submissions.  They both have their strong and weak points.  Let's take a look at Geary's first.

First, I like the silliness at the beginning of yours, Geary.  You integrate your character's intro with the beginning here, and poke fun at this loose tournament setting rules.  That's quite all right. [;) (Just FYI, first name is Kendo.  Virmir actually is the last name. [;))

ZeZe is probably the most original character here with that odd flying sail thing, but still holds pretty close to what little we've seen of Fens in the comic, with the messenger aspect and all.  I like this as well.

Your submission unfortunately has a few typos in it.  Nothing horrible, but you had three weeks to look this thing over.  You could have done better. [;)

Word flow is all right. Not spectacular, but I get a pretty clear image of what's going on.  No problems there.

The conflict and resolution is an interesting one here...

First of all, I don't really like the way you treated Trask's character.  On one hand, it is a cool twist that you made the whole spirit thing presented in Aeyer's intro a fake.  This really could have been a great little story here, but you didn't develop it nearly enough.  Okay, so Aeyer is possessed by a fake Cirr which makes him act like a total jerk and have powers of darkness instead of the wind stuff mentioned in Aeyer's intro.  We're left to draw this conclusion entirely on our own simply because it totally clashes with Aayer's intro.  We don’t see any of Aayer's personality here at all.  Why not have him struggle with the fake Cirr?  Why not have him help ZeZe battle the fake Cirr after it is librated from his body?  That way we could have at least seen some of the stuff presented in Aayer's intro. As it is, you don't draw anything from what Trask wrote in his intro at all, which hurts this submission. 

-

On the flipside, Trask, I find Aeyer rather likable.  He's the well meaning innocent type, which while not terribly original, is hard not to find a soft spot for.

I know you did get permission from Cirr to use his character, but I'm wondering if you had a misunderstanding or something.  I know Cirr did not manage to finish the intro, but he did give basic information about Cirr coming to Virmir and starting the tournament.  It seems to me that you would have presented at least a hint of this in your character's intro or somewhere during your submission.  It seems to me a totally different Cirr than what Cirrulean wrote about, and I can totally see why Geary took this a step further with fake Cirr plot. 

(Then again maybe you had different ideas of your own you were just waiting for the right moment to spring on us. ;))

You do have a fair amount of intro before the battle, which is good, but it's just his experiences before the match-- doesn't really add a whole lot to the story or show us anything new about the character.

The battle itself isn't bad.  A nice flow of action.  I had to reread a few sentences to make sure I understood what was going on, but nothing glaring, really.  Unlike Geary's submission, you do manage to write in ZeZe's abilities more closely to what was presented in his intro.  Credit there.

All-in-all, this isn't a bad job, Trask.  Apart from Cirr being a little out of place, there's nothing glaringly wrong with this submission.

Problem is, it's fairly formulaic and doesn't really pop out at me.  Geary's just seems a bit more interesting and entertaining. It's pretty close, and Geary definitely could have done a better job, but I still think I'm going to have to go with his.

Virmir's Vote: ZeZe (Geary)

---------------------------------------------
Banelure (Zavier) Vs. Ezctal (Anter)

Okay, so obviously Anter dropped out and Zavier gets a free ride, but you did put effort into writing this, Zav, so here are my thoughts.

Over all, this is a bare minimal submission. It's not bad really-- you show that you read and understood Anter's character, then compared his powers with your own character's.  The fight is short, but it is described well enough and you give Ezctal some credit and not make him a pushover.

The problem is, it's just the fight and that's it.  Nothing really surprising or interesting happens during the course of it. It's all just as expected.  In the next match, try and think of a little sub-plot to get going on the side, or perhaps some character development-- something new that helps build your character (or your opponent's character!) a bit more instead of just describing the battle.  Will give you a much higher shot at winning.  You have three weeks, so spend a little time every day working on it and build something awesome.  Good luck!

Virmir's Vote: Banelure (Zavier)

------------------------------------------
Bedisa (Medik) Vs. Greg (Donnie)

Okay, now THIS is a good match.

First of all, in my opinion, Medik is the stronger writer. On the other hand, Donnie has THE COMIC.  This is a close call here. Let's take a look.

I really like Bedisa as a character. She's smart, not overly trusting, cautious, likes to fight but doesn't want to kill... she just seems really down to earth and realistic to me.  I really like how you have her treat Greg like a kid, Medik, and I can tell you paid attention to Greg's powers and background. You write the both of them really well, and really this is a good matchup.  You even delve into Greg's backstory a bit before the battle. Very nice!

That said... she does try to drown the poor kid pretty coldly. But she does heal him, so still fits. [;)

The battle has a number of high points, and I do think you have the best written battle of all the entries.  It just flows really nicely.  I recall reading some of your past written work and compared to your old stories, I am seeing a marked improvement here.

Plot-wise, it is pretty basic, and like many others there's nothing really surprising here.  Granted, it's early in the tournament, and the buildup before the battle along with a few twists during the fight pretty much make up for this.

-

Switching gears and taking a look at Donnie's, I do like how you pick up right where you left off in your character intro.  Your writing style isn't too bad in this first part, but Greg gets thrown into the battle really quickly with no direction at all.  The written portion just barely suffices as an intro to the comic.  Not terrible, since the comic is your main draw, but a little development would have been cool.

But taking a look at that comic... Eeeee~! *loves it* [:)

Okay, I won't take a look at artistic ability, since that's not quite fair in a tournament like this.

I will be looking at execution and style, though.  And blast, did you nail it.

First of all, Donnie, you tend to struggle with dialogue.  Some of your other comics have had this problem. You can see a bit of forcedness in the introductory written section even. The dialogue in this comic though... well, it's much improved!  You missed the second apostrophe around 'just a kid' on page 2, but that's it, really.  It flows nicely with all the panels and expressions, and none of the speech bubbles obstruct anything. Nice job!

Action-wise, I can tell what is happening in each panel clearly, and you don't do any jumps or skip anything that leaves me wondering how to connect the dots.  The facial expressions are fantastic. And the story, short as it is, fits nicely in two pages and is the type of silly cartooniness that I love. (You even throw in a blatant Dragon Ball Z reference. [;)) Furthermore, you portray both Greg's and Besida's personalities wonderfully.  I particularly love how Greg looks like a total doofus when not transformed. [;)

This matchup here was a bit of an unfortunate placement so early. I would have liked to have seen both Medik and Donnie face off against some of the other contestants first.  I'm fairly confident that both of you would have prevailed and advanced when compared to many of the other entries this round to fight against each other later in the tournament instead of in the first round. Unfortunately I must choose one.  Medik, you did a fantastic job, and your entry is probably my second favorite out of all the submissions this round.  However, Donnie's comic just blows me away, and he is my pick for this match.

Virmir's Vote: Greg (Donnie)

------------------------------------------
Tjin (Tai) Vs. Red (Alias)

So, Alias obviously passes by way of no-show from Tai.  Tai did not bother to check in to give us a heads-up, unlike Anter, so he shall be heckled if/when he comes around again. [;)

Red seems the basic mysterious character, Alias, though I can tell you plan on developing him more. [;)  We did not get quite the development I would have liked in your entry though.  All-in-all, it's a pretty straightforward battle that shows off his abilities with nothing really surprising revealed, except his finishing move makes me raise my brow a bit.  I am interested in seeing where you're going with the exploding-disappearing ball thing (while keeping in mind the "no deaths" rule [;))

That said, I love your writing style, Alias.  It's always a pleasure to read anything by you, and this entry was no exception.  While very nicely done, I do suggest you add a bit more plot next time around, as a simple battle-only might not be enough if your next opponent actually shows up. (Granted, I know you were on a trip when you wrote this.  You still had three weeks though, but banged it out in a few hours, as I recall. [;))

Virmir's Vote: Red (Alias)

[fox] Virmir

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:05 PM
Alias / Red:
Well, I'm just about the worst reviewer ever, but let's see...
Technically, writing's good, tho leaning a tiny bit toward the more complex words and phrases. I wouldn't expect anything less than this from you. {;)
Red himself, hmm... I expected a bit more stereotypical evil, but I was positively surprised. And well, I should have expected that, having read some of your other stories.
Tijin seems to be matching the posted description quite well. Can't compare to the author's concept, obviously.
Fight was nicely described. There was a point or two where I felt the characters' names were used too repeatedly instead of looking for alternatives, but I realize that I always blow this specific point out of scale.
I expected a twist ending, but not this one. Quite popular angle there, with overconfidence leading to fatal mistake... but it's usually applied to the more evil side of a fight. ;)

Taijin / Tijin:
Lost through not showing up on the battlefield.

Red wins, obviously.

Geary / ZeZe:
Intro was, well, interesting to say the least. Over the top noncanon, but funny.
The main part, well, hmm... well, I remember you wanted to play the card of Trask's version of his character being how he sees himself, but with reality being different. Said that, you totally missed that he's suppsed to have wind attacks. Well, that, or wrote them so discreetly *I* missed it... was that one sentence supposed to say that he tried an air blow and missed?
Honestly, I think they should be quite effective at someone with a glider. Sure, you're supposed to win in the end, but a bit of struggle would lead for a better story.
Also, well... some slipups were just...  bleh, like calling the reyn a "man", and "(...)before an old sage quickly and quietly sealed it within a stone to be turned into the Queen." Wait, what? :P
Said that, you acted "the lunatic" pretty good. Kinda better than your own character.

Trask / Aeyer:
Oh yipe. Stream of storytelling. So very Traskish. :P
From the writing quality side, welp, it sure could use some editorial review. and I'll stop here because a list would be too long. >.>;
Beginning is confuuuuusing. First you are knowing that tomorrow you'll have a fight, wonder who'll you be fighting with, and so on, and then, once ZeZe gives you the information you're like "I wonder why I'm in a tournament"? Honestly, urm... something doesn't quite fit here.
The rest of "pre-fight" part gave quite a nice feel on the character.
And then, well... you talked with him yesterday, so why describing him like someone you've never seen before once in the arena?
Content of the combat part itself is pretty good, tho well, there were writing mistakes like everywhere else.. You both fought well, it wasn't one-sided.
The ending, well, some would call annoyingly noble, and, well, risky, but hey, that's what you (and your character) would do.

Vote for the Gray.

Zavier / Banelure:
Short, but to the point. I quite like it. Nothing particular to nitpick on, either, so don't know what to say here. :P
Good flow of the actions, no overt focus on anything at cost of the rest...
I kinda wonder what was that spell supposed to be that it damaged only the first layer and didn't hurt you much.
And well... $evil_character_gloats_and_loses_guard++; But hey, it works. ;)

Anter / Ezctal:
Stepped down from the tournament.

Yay for the Halberdfox.

Medik / Bedisa:
Yipe. Yipe. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiipe.
That's, paws-down, best written story of them all. Written great, emotional, with a great amount of flavour in descriptions and thoughts... a great read.
You focused on Greg's red form, but well, that's just about all right. I'd sure enjoy even more colorful fight (pun intended), but it wasn't exactly your point, it seems. Tho, well, he uses a sword and a lance(?), not a hammer. ;)
You played the characters really, really good in the beginning. During the fight, I honestly don't know, but you just as well might have teased Greg into such a hard fight; I know my brother wouldn't give up, but fight until he wins or gets eliminated after calling him a wimp, especially back when he was a kit. :P
You didn't write Bedisa out of nearly all damage. You didn't kill your opponent, either, and justified if very good in character.
All I could complain about sums up to "well, you might research Greg a more, but it's quite well as is". Greeeat stuff.

Donnie / Greg:
*whimpers*
Well, for the obvious reason of different medium, you're not as detailed im background fluff as Medik was.
The art istelf, actions, expressions (ESPECIALLY expressions) are pure gold. I like a lot how you acted the characters. Bedisa's personality seems to be very much like Medik's own version. Well, maybe a little bit more "looking from above" at the other fox. Greg himself, hmm... seems a bit less lost, a bit more just kit-ish, and driven first to her, and then, in the end of the comic, toward the next stage by Forces Unknown.
I just loved the "And that... is that." part, for some reason. :P In general, the second page was a great joke.
Said that, honestly, you kind of... well... defeated her without a scratch. Seems she didn't even have time to try anything with her sword.
A few bits are a little confusing, too, it's relatively easy to miss the sword, we see just about only the handle of it.
On the other paw, I realize that time and effort needed for a comic are much different than for a story, so I can't compare directly.

Two submissions I honestly believe are objectively best of all... by my two best friends... Honestly, I want to either abstain from the vote, or vote so you both go through... which would only lead to repeat of the dilemma in the future, I think. So... with deep regrets... I'm voting for Bedisa. Sorry, friends... ( And for those that think I do favoritism here... think about it... no more epic comics! Would I go for this out of favoritism? :P )

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Cirr

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • My DA gallery
Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 03:50:50 PM
Updated the tournament table!

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 04:00:31 PM
Right so since the story I submitted was totally rushed, I forgot about a few things. First of all, in case it's not clear... timeline goes that Ezctal and Leonard fought before the fight with Banelure. Since Leonard lost the battle and didn't end up 'winning' until far later after Ezctal had already lost his own fight, it thus follows that were he ever in the tournament he would be knocked out there. So thus I technically 'win' but don't throw a wrench into the tournament mechanics. I talked with Anter before writing it and the things I did involving his character were with his permission.

And on an editorial note, in the scene where Leonard is doing the whole introspective thing.... when he finds his confidence there are supposed to be rainbows. Rainbows everywhere. And flowers. And kittens. And just about everything that can possibly represent justice and goodness in the world. The whole 'love and hope' triumphs thing was supposed to be way overplayed with the demon crying out a long out-drawn 'NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" as he's driven into the darkness. It was the whole reason I wrote the story afterall, and then I forgot to actually write it... go figure :/
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 04:03:38 PM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 09:28:18 PM
Blast it, Kit, that was awesome.  You totally should have joined this. [;)   A good fun read.  I would have voted for it over most of the stuff presented in the first round, honestly.

(You also should have just stuck in the rainbow thing before I read it. [;))

[fox] Virmir

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:37 PM
I was going to, but at the time I was kind of tired and not up to actually writing it in. I'll properly add that bit when I get around to polishing it up. If that ever happens I'll just pop it into its own proper thread away from here.

Also I had planned to join but I was really busy during signups and then Cirr announced there were 12 contestants which seemed like a perfect number so I didn't think he'd let me in after that. I had been going to ask before I saw his post if I could still get in. Ah well, it turned out fine in the end and I got to write an awesome story anyway.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:25:09 PM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Cirr

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • My DA gallery
Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 01:31:00 PM
Hey people!

The second round will start soon!
We just need the battlefields (and the hazards that come with them).

However, this second round is special.
You have an another objective.
Right after finishing your battle with your opponent you're challenged by this unknown guy.

Name : Zaharl
An assassin
He appears to be completely twisted, talking about you being his "prey". He seems obsessed with fighting and killing.
A purple aura is emanating fromhim and his twin daggers.
It's impossible to know who sent him...

You will have to include a second fight in your submission.
Good luck with him...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:34:05 PM by Cirrulean »

Cirr

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • My DA gallery
Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 03:18:45 PM
And now the battlefields!

Osric vs ZeZe :

The ghost airship: The Flying Snowreyn

An abandoned wandering airship surrounded with a deep fog. The ship is crumbling, randomly cracking
and the sound of the wind makes strange noises. In the captain's quarter, there's a skeleton sitting at the desk and holding a chest.
Disadvantages:Main: Fear. Everything is very scary.... really.
                        Minor: Fog. Only if you're fighting on the deck.

You can make something quite interesting with Zaharl here... :p

Banelure vs Dr. J. Keem

Dinaro mountains (surrounding Caerryn) : The mine complex.

A vast cave with railways going to the bottom.
The walls arecovered with crystals shining and lighting the whole cave and shining dust is glowing everywhere. The bottom contains a lake.
You can use the minecarts and the elevators, and almost everything in the cave.

Disadvantage: Vertigo. If you're fighting at the highest level, or on the railways.
                        Nitrogen narcosis. If you fall on the lake

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 04:21:25 PM
Veseris Vs. Greg

Endless Dunes, Black Rose Desert

Located far to the south of Vandaria, these sprawling dunes mark the beginnings of the Fen territories.  Scorching arid heat permeates the burning sands, spotted by a rare cactus or flat stones, under which crawling things flee to escape the sunlight.

Disadvantages: It's blasting HOT.
                         Very difficult traction in the sands.

Inuri Vs Red

Glacier Moutaintops, Alopexia

This horrible, frigid wasteland is packed with wretched snow and ice, with steep droppoffs in-between rolling slopes.  Bone-chilling winds intermittently blast between the taller peaks.

Disadvantages: It's blasting COLD.
                        Avalanches are a possibility if flashy, explosive techniques are used.
                        Slippery slopes provide a falling danger.

Tournament entries are due **July 10th** by midnight of whatever timezone you are in! Good luck, folks. [:)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:31:56 PM by Virmir »

[fox] Virmir