Author Topic: Character Worldbuilding Brainstorming  (Read 8813 times)

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:47 AM
I figured I may as well post this, since it would be good to get it out on "paper". Basically, I plan to use this as a writing block and thought bouncer for the world of my Fursona, Kenku Aka William Swiftfoot.

Here's the basic ideas of it I have right now:
High transformation, although limited by spell/scientific skill. So while you might see alot of form shifters, most will be of the more average creature or hybrid, with the more mythical and powerful creatures being found here and there, and many the case such creatures being originally that way. Most if not all TFs are also reversible, although how to do some may take some work depending on strength of spell, will of victim, and materials at hand.

No completely Inanimate TFs. Its just too hard to hand wave such TFs, and while I think I could get away with "Body that functions like a car", any further than that just is hard to explain.

Mid-High Magic. A good fantasy players foray when it comes to spells, but there are no grand rituals that would allow a person to reshape reality to their wishes. Time spells are also very limited to short term alterations(don't really want to try to deal with paradoxes, not to mention they can be such a realm changer).

Modern theme with fantasy styling. Present day makes the most sense for the character, even if his outfit is a little out of place. Magic has affected civilization and thus helps with the comforts of daily life although.

While transformations are prevalent, a person always has a "Signature" form. This is the form to which he will always come back to some time or another, even if this form is not seen in public much. This is also the form that he/she will return to if there comes such a time in which they must revert a transformation, especially baleful ones set on them by another. This doesn't mean a person couldn't quickly shift forms again to hid such forms, but there is always that go between.

This "Signature" form can also change, a person's mind, body, and soul can only take such changes 2-3 times in their life at most, and doing so requires very powerful spells to do so.

I haven't really thought far more than that right now. I do have the a couple places that have in a way popped up in stories and RPs(Kenku's house, lab, store, and stand, The CF Clubhouse, A park for transformation competitions), and Ive thought about governmental ideas, but thats the main things.

So...yea, thats what I have for the moment.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:38:28 AM
A few questions to ponder: if the true form is based off a person's personality, how does it account for different aspects? Aka, have you ever noticed that people act differently in certain situations? They may be loud and boisterous among friends, but scarcely able to talk among strangers. Sensitive and caring at church, but as bigotted as other family members when at home. I know someone who is very polite and seems like a wonderful person to all who don't know her but is a jerk to the people she considers her friends. And in even more exaggerated cases, what about people with MPD? Would they have a different base for each personality?

Another thing I was wondering... does everyone do the transformation thing? And if so... do they all have a certain unique method of doing so? I know Kenku specializes in alchemetic drinks, but do other people have similar trends? If so, is it mostly because of skill specialization or would a signature tf style be built into their body/soul-package thing?

More questions to follow as I think of them.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:16 PM
Actually True Form usually is the form you are at time of birth. This doesn't mean you always look that way, or ever in public, but it is the form you fall to if a person ever is completly reverted out of transformations. As for emotions, Subtle transformations to me wouldn't take a full reversion, and would probably be the best way to "broadcast" such a shift. As for Multiple Personality Disorder....hmm...well I would figure there would be some subtle ones...but I could see the reasoning of "One person really being several people".

As for style of transformation, Id say it varies. Much like a craftsman would have their own unique processes, each transformist goes thought his processes in creation and implementations in their own unique ways. This doesn't mean there are general practice styles although(Guns, Bombs, Potions, Direct Magic, Food, Etc.)

As for Availability, that been a point I need to think on. In the end, the best way to work it is that TF is very much available(especially the more popular animal, fantasy, and humanoid forms), that it still takes a small amount of skill to cause such transformations, and thus thoes with it cause it(and sell it), and thoes without would goto them to be able to.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:33:40 PM
Cool, I already know what I would be like in this universe ^.^

Except the whole... true form thing. I guess that might just be human for me. *shrug*

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 11:08:35 PM
Human isn't a problem at all. There is nothing that says you have to be out and about in it, or a different person each day or hour.   [;)