Author Topic: Mythic Musings  (Read 7684 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
on: December 26, 2010, 08:00:18 AM
I DID NOT WRITE THIS! This is a direct copy of the story written for me as part of the TSA christmas exchange. Reposted with writer's permission.
======

Mythic Musings

By Devin Hallsworth

For Jonas

The museum is a lovely place at night, or at least Sennel thought this  one was.

Cozily dimmed down lighting, friendly security staff, relics and  treasures from all four corners of the globe on display. While every  budding archaeologist might dream of being the one that brushes the  dirt of some newly unearthed discovery, working in a place like this  had its own allures.

Walking reverently through the ancient Greece section of the museum he  stopped to grin at some of the displays he had helped set up since  starting work here. No, he had no complaints at all about a career in a  place that would allow him to bring his childhood love of mythology to  others.

Using his keys to gain access to the staff wing he set his briefcase on  his work desk in the middle of the barely lit warehouse that stored all  manner of carefully labeled and archived archeological finds.

As he sat down and took a moment to clean his glasses he found his eyes  drift across a large shipping box that hadnt been there when he left  for home this morning.

He grumbled and strode over to where the shipping manifests were posted on the wall. Sure enough a new item had come in and he had been  completely uninformed about it. Taking the clipboard off the wall he read as he walked back to the mysterious box.

It was definitely intended for the Greek section of the museum, a life  sized statue of the Greek muse Calliope found at a new dig site that  seemed to be in great condition.

Sennel grinned boyishly as he read. "The Muse of heroic poetry herself?  Well its an honor to have you here Ma'am considering we owe Homers Odyssey to your talents as a muse." He giggled as he set the clip board  down and fetched his unboxing crowbar, hammer and other useful  supplies.

It was his job to inspect the statue for any damage it might have  suffered while being shipped over seas and it was a job he was honored  to be trusted with.

Luckily the packers had done their job right, the statue was in  perfect condition. He wiped the sweat off his brow and took a moment to  stand back and grin at the ancient statue of a woman with a writing  tablet in her hands.

He dusted off his hands and decided to take a break as he thought over  and rethought his next steps in helping this ancient statue with its  new lease on life. He walked out of the staff wing and walked toward  the main visitors lobby where all the vending machines were as his  thoughts churned over the task ahead of him.

So enthralled was he with his thoughts of work that it wasn't until he had put his change in the machine and began to reach in to grab his  snack that he noticed the two Humanoid robots dressed as ninjas  standing over the body of an unconscious security guard.

Sennel and the robots stared at each other for a few seconds before one  of them started clanking towards him at which point he ran screaming  back the way he had come.

He wanted to slam the door behind him but he had enough sense of mind  to quietly close and lock the door to the staff wing instead. Falling  back against it and panting from exhaustion. "That thing was fast! Why  was it so fast?" He gasped in between. "Why... why was it dressed up as  a ninja if its so loud? Why.. WHY IS IT..." He clamped a hand over his  mouth and switched his monologue to internal mode. 'Why is it in a  museum?! Are we getting robbed?' He thought.

The word Robbed crystallized a plan of action in his head immediately.  Diving back behind his desk he grabbed the phone off his desk and  watched the door as best he could from hiding.

"911, what is the emergency?"

"HELLO! You have to help me. My museum is being invaded by Robot Ninjas!"

"Sir, prank calls will result in criminal charges being laid against you."

Sennel trailed off for a moment as he realized what he had just  accidentally blurted out in his panic. "Ah... NO! Wait, sorry! I meant  people! Real people with guns, not very metallic at all. Can you please  send a patrol car or a swat team over like right away?"

"One moment sir." The operator said with a heavy sigh. Sennel held out  hope right until she came back on the line. "Sir I just talked to  security for the Museum you are phoning from and they say everything is  just fine. How long have you been working today sir? Is there any medication you may have forgotten to take today?"

"IM NOT CRAZY!" He shouted into the phone and hang up before she got  smart and told them which phone he was calling from.

"That sounded incredibly convincing." A wry female voice said to him.

Sennel glanced in the direction of the voice as he put the phone back  up on the desk he was hiding behind. "Well its the truth!" He replied  back to Calliope.

He stared at the door for a long minute waiting for Robot Ninja's to  burst through it before thinking to take a second look.

"On second thought maybe I am crazy." He said to the flesh and blood  woman who looked the spitting image of the ancient statue he had  finished unpacking earlier. "I was pretty sure I was sane though last  time I checked. On second thought how do you check for sanity?" He  mumbled to himself as he curled up into a fetal position.

The Muse leaned over to watch him panic behind his desk. "If you are  crazy this is a rather boring kind of insanity I must say. Not really  something anyone would want to include in any great stories."

Sennel glared back at her. "Well Im sorry but stuff like this just  doesn't happen in real life! Robot Ninjas invading museums and wierd  ancient Greek statues becoming people isn't supposed to happen."

Calliope blinked. "It isn't? Neither of those hardly sound all that  weird to me though Im not familiar with the first one. Who were these  swat teams you were trying to reach anyway? Are they the people you  contact to deal with Hydras and Gorgons and such?"

He shook his head. "Hydras and Gorgons don't exist in real life."

Calliope stared at him. "Maybe you really are crazy. What about  Minotaurs? Basilisks? Chimeras? Centaurs? Nymphs? Satyrs?" She asked  with suspicion in her voice.

"No, its just people! Humans. There are no Centaurs in the world. No  Mermaids, no Pegasi, no Phoenixes, no Sirens, no Werewolves, no.." He  ranted before getting cut off by Calliope.

"Were Wolves?" She asked.

"Yeah Were Wolves. You had them back in your day, people who turned  into wolves? Lycanthropes you called them. The etymology of the term  Were Wolf was derived way after your day somewhere in Gothic Europe.  North America had similar creatures that they called Skin Walkers."

"You seem like you know quite a bit about mythological creatures." She  observed, seeming slightly distraught now. "And yet you claim none of  these exist in the world today? It appears I was right when I said you  are a victim of a very boring insanity."

He glared back at her and stood up. "Well at least its an insanity that's rooted in reality! That doesn't sound right..." He shook his head.  "Look, as much as it would be great if stuff like Were Wolves existed  today they don't. And neither do you. Actually I should probably stop  talking to you because its probably not great for my sanity."

She cocked an eyebrow at him. "Why Were Wolves specifically? Am I  mistaken or do I detect a hint of favoritism?"

He blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, yes there is a bit  of favoritism involved. A lot of European folk lore sort of depicted  them as ravenous monsters sent by Satan to earth but Ive always been  fond of thinking of them as being big brothers of wild wolves. The same  beautiful gray coat..." He said with a grin as his paws scratched an  itch on the back of his furry neck.

"Strong and powerful legs for chasing down prey and moving cross  country for hours on end." He continued as he stepped out of human  shoes and paced on two digitigrade legs.

"Not to mention that if I was a werewolf these stupid Robot Ninjas  wouldn't stand a chance of robbing ANY MUSEUM THAT I WORK AT!" He  growled, punctuating this statement with a slammed paw on his work  desk, cracking the wood severely and sending enough noise through the  warehouse the Robots finally wised up as to his location and were now  trying to open the locked door.

He was filled with panic for a few moments before getting distracted by  the muzzle in front of his eyes. After a frenzied inspection of his  body he came to a conclusion and turned to stare at Calliope in awe.  "Did you do this?"

Calliope grinned. "Well this insanity of yours seemed like it could use  a fun dash of old world mythology."

Sennel stuttered. "But..b but I cant turn into a werewolf, that would  mean that Im crazy!" He said as he felt his new body through paws that  hadn't been his until a minute ago. As his mind raced a new feeling of  cold determination soothed his mind. "No. Im not crazy. This stuff  really exists. I HAVE to turn into a Werewolf and defeat the Robot  Ninjas invading my museum! Its the only way to prove Im NOT CRAZY!" He  growled, racing for the door in a frenzy of teeth and lycanthropic  muscle as the robots finally kicked it in and started pouring in.

Sennel delicately brushed the dirt off the cracked pot he had  unearthed. This dig site was easily the hottest one he had worked at  yet but it was worth it. Egypt was quickly proving to be the highlight  of his career as an archeologist thus far.

He grinned up at Kendra as she handed him a canteen full of water. As  he drank he stood up and stretched his aching limbs out, eyeing the  setting sun lighting up the desert horizon.

Kendra followed his gaze. "Do you want to close the dig down for the  night?"

Sennel smiled and wiped the water off his muzzle. "We have still got a  couple hours of time to work in today." he said to the Sphinx before  turning to the mish mash of mythological creatures and dusty humans  working to unearth this ancient Egyptian ruin. "Come on people, step it  up a bit! Weve got myths to bring back to life!"

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
This was a fun short.  I always enjoy stories that seem serious enough until you run into ROBOT NINJAS. [;)

[fox] Virmir