Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 133962 times)

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 01:41:27 PM
Well figured id update.

Currently my gaming run around includes:
Yohoho Puzzle Pirates
Spiral Knights
and LoL here and there.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59:11 PM
Donkey Kong Country just wasn't doing it for me... I'm not sure what it is.  Not a terribly huge fan of the pre-rendered 3D-ish sprites... or monkeys. [;)

Music will be added to stream collection though. [;)

Next, I'm giving Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1).  I'm actually not a huge fan of games of this style either, where you have tons of characters with unlimited customization and choices and-- gah! I just want to FIGHT! Will see how it goes, though. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Felblood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 11:03:15 PM
As somebody who absolutely loved FFT on the PS1, but has much the same attitude toward spreadsheet games, I have one key piece of advice:

Avoid the Calculator, and Mime classes. Each one is massively powerful if you take the time to use them properly, but it makes each turn take half an hour, or forces you to think very carefully about who to bring to each battle. Instead, focus on straightforward but effective beat-stick classes like the Dragoon, White Mage, Samurai, Geomancer and Ninja.

You don't really need to be optimal to win most of the time. Special Characters like Cid, Orlan and Mustadio can outpower an entire party of normal characters, and get access to their special abilities right away, without any fancy class changing strategy, or a good stable of theives can keep your basic knights and squires armed well enough to beat the game. A good build will save you some level grinding, but you only need to be optimal if you're going into the optional level 99 dungeons. (You can win the game at 45, pretty easy.)

In short, don't let the game intimidate you with all it's options; You don't really need most of this stuff.

Kasimir

• Yet another toon-furry grey fox
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Dammit.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 04:12:25 AM
I'm playing a dated game from 2003 - SimCity 4. D: o.o"

"Mission taken!" [:P

Zavier

• This account has been TOTALLY NOT abandoned.
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 17, 2011, 04:32:45 AM
That's nothing. I'm playing "UFO: Enemy Unknown" from 1994.

Kasimir

• Yet another toon-furry grey fox
  • Dammit.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2011, 02:23:56 PM
It's retro gaming week over at CF!!

"Mission taken!" [:P

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 17, 2011, 04:14:58 PM
Prob'ly - I'm playing System Shock 1. That's what, 94? 95?

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Anter

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 17, 2011, 05:55:50 PM
As somebody who absolutely loved FFT on the PS1, but has much the same attitude toward spreadsheet games, I have one key piece of advice:

Avoid the Calculator, and Mime classes. Each one is massively powerful if you take the time to use them properly, but it makes each turn take half an hour, or forces you to think very carefully about who to bring to each battle. Instead, focus on straightforward but effective beat-stick classes like the Dragoon, White Mage, Samurai, Geomancer and Ninja.

You don't really need to be optimal to win most of the time. Special Characters like Cid, Orlan and Mustadio can outpower an entire party of normal characters, and get access to their special abilities right away, without any fancy class changing strategy, or a good stable of theives can keep your basic knights and squires armed well enough to beat the game. A good build will save you some level grinding, but you only need to be optimal if you're going into the optional level 99 dungeons. (You can win the game at 45, pretty easy.)

In short, don't let the game intimidate you with all it's options; You don't really need most of this stuff.

Its also good to remember that a summoner learns any summon cast on it that it survives: and is the only way to learn the most powerful summon. I forget the exact name since its been awhile: but the final boss of the deep dungeon casts it.

Also, kill black chocobos first: they instantly cast meteor.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 08:37:59 PM
He he, thanks for the advice, folks.  It seems a pretty popular game, so want to at least give it an honest shot. [:)

[fox] Virmir

LoCk

• eater of souls. devourer of worlds.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Pirate otter! >:V
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:50 PM
here is a minor update, final fantasy 9 still, new golden sun, the world ends with you, final fantasy and the 4 heroes of light, left 4 dead 2, alien swarm, and the battlefield series as a whole.

is that the sound of a geiger counter or my lifespan counting down? its both! here at black mesa when we say half life we mean it in more ways than one.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 11:21:26 PM
Playing DS alot now, and decided it was time for something new. So I got OkamiDen. Like it, although the tracing is a bit...shall we say...annoying.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 02:07:27 PM
currently playing Terraria, which is cool, and I hope to be playing What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord? 2 soon, which unfortunately had to change its name to that, previously it and the original game were titled "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!" which is a much cooler title.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Zavier

• This account has been TOTALLY NOT abandoned.
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:31 PM
Welp, lately I've been playing Europa Universalis III. Really fun strategy game, and I've never seen a game so historically accurate before. Not only that, but you can play as any kingdom, nation, group of people, et cetera in the world. Cherokee Native Americans, the Inca, Great Britain, Ottoman Empire, Poland, Ming China, the Mongols, the Papal States, Venice, Norway, Québec, Mexico, Mughal Empire, the Teutonic Order...

...Sweden, Denmark, Prussia, Austria, the Golden Horde, Sukothai, Huron Native Americans, Mayans, Mali, Songhai, Byzantium, Lithuania, Maldovia, Transylvania, Naples, Sciliy, Spain, France, Portugal, the Netherlands, the United States of America, Hungary, Bohemia, the Palastine...

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 08:01:08 PM
Just wait until you discover absolute monarchy USAs, Protestant Italy's in the 1500's, Japan inheriting Ming China, Irish South America, superpower Lithunanias, Scottish Great Britain, Giant Hungary's stretching all the way from Italy to central Asia, Papal States in Iceland, wars of succession of Ethiopia between the Byzantine Empire and Norway, Moroccan Brazil, North and South America BOTH under the control of Scotland, Germany united by Switzerland, etc.

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 08:04:17 PM
Meh Medieval 2 did that before  [;).

Ahem.... all of the world controlled by Scotland *shifts eyes*

EDIT EDIT:

I've been playing Dissidia 012 and having a lot of fun SMASHING Bartz with Tifa or filling Golbez's armor with holes using Laguna's machine gun. My last battle had Tifa placing a hard boot into Kefka's face.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:05:49 PM by Donnie »