Author Topic: Technique  (Read 20756 times)

Tod

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Hijinx
on: May 30, 2009, 10:54:49 AM
So, now that I've got this going again, I'd like to talk about the current process I'm using to come up with these pages.

I want you guys to be prepared for a little experimentation with my technique as I move forward into Chapter Eight.  Next week's page has been done in grayscale marker and watercolor, a look that I think goes well with what I imagine the pages looking like in my head.  The marker lets me put down smoother fields of color, that I can build different textures on, and tends to take white ink and pencil shading better than the watercolor.  Using the watercolor lets me add different tones and textures that I couldn't get with the marker.  I think they go well, together.  I'm curious, next Saturday, to see if you guys like it, or even notice any difference!

I'm working from a script Stoker (the bat, not the original author.  Though I am talented, communicating with the dead is beyond my power  ];) ) and I have developed from the original text.  I do a rough thumbnail sketch to figure out my layout from the script.

I do a more detailed pencil sketch at the size of the final page.  A good chunk of the Wreck of the Demeter was done on 11x17 sheets, but I'm back down to my original size, working on 8.5x11 pages. Sometimes, when I'm confident with a detail, I'll leave it pretty rough.  Sometimes, for things like architecture, or poses/expressions I want to work out in plenty of detail, I spend more time making sure I have it down before I move on to the next step.  When I'm penciling Crimson Flag pages, this is as far as the train goes.  What you see in the voting incentive pictures is about as detailed as I usually get when setting down my sketch.

Then, using my trusty lightbox, (I've had this thing since high school, and I haven't ever needed to replace the bulb) I ink the comic page onto a new sheet of card stock.  Usually, I'll ink a panel at a time, then tone it, and move onto the next one.  Finishing up a panel is a good reward, and makes me enthusiastic to start the next one.

Right now, the supplies I'm using on each page:
Faber-Castell PITT artist pens
copic markers
black sharpies
black watercolor
white gel pen
white opaque pigment marker

I got a bottle of white acrylic ink, but am still figuring out how to use it, as I learn to ink with a brush, in general.  I am not sure I want to ink Dracula with a brush until I get much better at the technique, but when it can be pulled off well, it looks -really- nice.

So, keep an eye on the next few pages, and let me know what you think of the current style!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 11:33:16 AM
Awesome stuff.  May I request some work in progress pictures sometime?  Those always fascinate me, especially with real media. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Tod

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Hijinx
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:47:26 PM
sure!  I'll start posting in-progress stuff when I get to work on the next page :)

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:48:55 PM
Awesome!

*rubs paws in anticipation*

[fox] Virmir

stokerbramwell

• Count Bramwell der Spooky Bat
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Denn die Todten reiten Schnell
    • View Profile
    • Black Wings of Gothic Spooky Death (my oh-so-dark-and-mysterious Livejournal)
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:14 PM

I'm working from a script Stoker (the bat, not the original author.  Though I am talented, communicating with the dead is beyond my power  ];) ) and I have developed from the original text. 

Little does Tod know that I really AM THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR!  :O  What a twist!

--
"His madness keeps him sane."--Delirium of the Endless, "The Sandman," Neil Gaiman.

Kabbalist

• Presently Absentminded
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Part-time voice of reason; full-time weirdo.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 10:29:34 PM

Hmm. You know, I think that's an angle on the story that I haven't seen exploited yet. That doesn't mean it's not out there, just that I haven't seen it.

Either way, I can't think of a better bat to have on the job.

stokerbramwell

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:37:28 PM

Hmm. You know, I think that's an angle on the story that I haven't seen exploited yet. That doesn't mean it's not out there, just that I haven't seen it.

Either way, I can't think of a better bat to have on the job.

Aww, you're too kind!  Two kinds of what, I don't know, but you're too kind.  ;D

--
"His madness keeps him sane."--Delirium of the Endless, "The Sandman," Neil Gaiman.

Kabbalist

• Presently Absentminded
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 09:43:42 AM

Aww, you're too kind!  Two kinds of what, I don't know, but you're too kind.  ;D

That's...actually a very good question. I'm trying to come up with a snappy answer, but my brain seems disinclined to make with the funny at the moment. Maybe with more caffeine...?

stokerbramwell

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 05:44:36 PM

That's...actually a very good question. I'm trying to come up with a snappy answer, but my brain seems disinclined to make with the funny at the moment. Maybe with more caffeine...?

Need more blood in your caffeine stream?

--

Kabbalist

• Presently Absentminded
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:30:59 PM

Need more blood in your caffeine stream?

Something like that. Or more sleep, but who has the time? Let's just say my morning cup of tea (or cola) is sometimes a necessary part of my daily resurrection.

Tod

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Hijinx
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:05:42 AM
Okay, I'm going to have to save the step-by-step stuff for a page where I'm not just trying to get it done.  Sorry about that.  My neck's getting better, so we'll see ^_^  First priority is getting pages online on time

Kabbalist

• Presently Absentminded
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 01:36:08 PM
Something tells me we'll be willing to wait until you can make it happen. Besides, I get the feeling that if you keep on pampering us with regular updates there won't be much complaint.

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 01:55:09 PM
Much agreed. [:)

[fox] Virmir