Author Topic: Guns, weapons, other dismemberment options.  (Read 21435 times)

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
on: September 26, 2012, 01:31:07 AM
If you couldn't tell from my avatar (if looking back on this years later the avatar is the Ruger logo), I happen to have a particular affinity for guns.

Now some people have never touched a gun in their lives. Some have misconceptions, and others couldn't care less about them, and would prefer to talk about the shiny new claymore they got.

Welp, here's the place to talk about all that dangerous nonsense! If you have a question about any weapon, want to flaunt your zombie-preparedness, or otherwise bask in deadly glory, just give a shout out here!

Since this is the first post, I'll give you guys a bit of an idea of what could follow.

I currently own a Ruger Superblackhawk single action revolver and a Carbine length AR-15. (I have others, but in order to keep Internet predators on their toes I won't mention them.)

So, to start off, if you've got absolutely no idea what the listed guns even ARE above. Post! Start a conversation! It doesn't even have to be relevant to this! It is the 'random topics' area after all!

Sanity is for the weak.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I'mma be a one-man cheezburgah apocalypse.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:53:14 AM
That's quite the adventurous topic you're posting.

"There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened."
- Douglas Adams

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:48 AM
How so? I don't believe I break any of the rules. And I thought it might be interesting to discuss these things with people.

Sanity is for the weak.

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:57:43 AM
Meatbag, it's dramatic flair ];)

Anyway, I should drag my brother onto here later.  He's the one with the guns in the family, including an 1850 Colt Navy he's been slowly refurbishing over the past year, along with a shotgun.  I DO know that he's planning on getting a rifle (I think a Springfield) because he's getting into Civil War reenacting and plans on being in Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary next year.

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:15:52 PM
Lol, felt like Voltar when writing it..  Anyhow, do you know if he goes and shoots with them? Generally the rennacters from what I've heard like to use black powder In thier loads for authenticity.

Now is that the colt peacemaker? I cant remember if that was a nickname or what it was actually called..

Sanity is for the weak.

I am the IZOD

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:12:21 PM

This is my M1851 Colt Navy revolver.  It is a reproduction of a .36 caliber cap and ball revolver that was common during the American Civil War.  The black powder, wadding, and ball all go in separately, then the cap is put on behind the loaded chamber.  I have all the things I need to shoot it, and I have done so on a few occasions.

I also have a 20 gauge pump action shotgun from Mossberg, and a Tikka 30-06 rifle, which I used to slay my first deer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 03:14:39 PM by I am the IZOD »

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:12:54 PM
Awesome guns! I like the civil war and the era immediately after that for weapon designs (I like western style stuff). But i think the loading of the revolver would eventually get on my nerves. I don't really have a big enough hunting rifle for up here (In AK, we usually aim for moose, not so much deer), and .223 is kinda small for that job.

Anyhow, how well does the Colt shoot? Assuming of course you've been out enough to check its accuracy.

Sanity is for the weak.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:42:00 PM
My only knowledge of guns are the ones from Goldeneye. Though I'm starting to remember the ones from Perfect Dark now. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 05:03:12 PM
Lol, never played either of those games. What weapons can you use?

Sanity is for the weak.

I am the IZOD

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:46:01 PM
Well, one problem I noticed about Goldeneye was that for the most part it did not use real gun names for things like the AK-47.  Not sure why.

But about my Navy.  I have checked the accuracy on it, and I have noticed that even a 20 ft, I have to aim low to hit my target.  That, and I have noticed that the rifling is a little worn on one part in the barrel.  I am reluctant to take it out shooting a lot because of the brass frame, which I have heard does not stand up to stress from shooting actual bullets as well as steel frames.  Brass frames are better suited for reenacting than for shooting a lot, as in once a week (which I don't do anyway).

What do you even use on Moose anyway?  Anything between .30 and .50 cal?

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:54 PM
I think the whole 'game not specifically naming guns' is due to the fact that most military issue weapons are just letters and numbers (AR-15, Ak-47, M60) that kinda nonsense.

And as for moose? You don't necessarily use a large caliber, but you need TONS of powder behind whatever shot you plan to use.

I didn't realize they made working guns with brass frames...

Sanity is for the weak.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:35 PM
Our home gun stable consists of:
Rifles: two Savage .22 bolt-action rifles, one Schultz & Larsen .22 single-shot bolt rifle, one 5.56mm built AR, and an M1 Garand chambered in the classic .30-06.

Pistols: One Baikal .22 target pistol, one SIG Trailside .22, Two Glock 9mms, one of which my dad uses for concealed carry, and a Springfield Range Officer .45 1911 (my personal favorite).

Shotgun: Remington pump-action I believe. It's for home defense so it doesn't see much action.

"There is a theory that states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

- Douglas Adams

Shadow99611

• Hopeless artist
  • Stop. Hammertime.
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:36:25 PM
I want a 1911 sooo baaaddd.... Anyhow, what format is the AR in? (longbarrel? Stock? other?)

Sanity is for the weak.

Karina

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:16 AM
My own experience with guns is somewhat limited, having only been to a range twice. The first time I fired the M16A2, which I did quite well with. Qualified expert, even. The second time, which was more recently, I got to use the M4. I didn't qualify quite as well with the M4, but it was fun getting to use a red dot sight and the three-round burst setting.

I've been considering purchasing myself a rifle, but I'm not really sure what I'd want to get at this point. Not to mention I have other things to spend my money on at the moment, so I keep putting it off.

Generic Meatbag #14

• Tank Burger
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:34:13 AM
I want a 1911 sooo baaaddd.... Anyhow, what format is the AR in? (longbarrel? Stock? other?)
1911 is good shootin'. Or at least the Range Officer is.

I'm not familiar with all the terminology, and I'm not exactly sure what my dad did to build it, but it has the standard AR solid stock, and I believe it has a heavy match barrel.

- Douglas Adams