Author Topic: Realm of the Mad God!  (Read 5422 times)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
on: November 05, 2011, 05:34:36 AM
So, recently I've found this interesting new game by the name of "Realm of the Mad God" which has a very simple premise. There is a mad god. His name is Oryx. You are in his realm. Kill him for glory and shiny loot.

It's a 2D shooter-y, RPGish actiony game in which you are one of about a dozen classes. Loot is class-specific with some sharing between similar ones. The goal is to get to level 20, kill many minions or Oryx, forcing him to fight you (and everyone else on the map) in an epic battle in which most of the combatants will die horribly. There's a permadeath system so you do need to be careful of that, but you don't lose too much on death, just that character and items they had in their inventory.

Dying is actually part of progressing, so don't worry about it. anway, it's a lot of fun, quite hectic at times, and really, really easy to pick up, so try it out! http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/
Special offer, comes with free wiki: http://forums.wildshadow.com/wiki/realm-mad-god

Oh, it's also absolutely free since it runs on a microtranaction system by which you can buy various neat, useful, but nowhere near needed things. The community is actually pretty nice, and often you'll find people giving away fairly good items simply because they can't use/no longer need them.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:14 PM
I'll be joining, looks like fun!

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:19:49 PM
it is fun! You get huge hordes of players going to war against the super-powerful mobs, and all the low levels people die. You actually feel like the minions of the Mad God are fighting back, because there isn't any resurrection system; you lose the weak and the unlucky as you keep on fighting, and eventually when the Mad God Oryx himself is fought, he summons everyone to his chamber, you get a feeling that everyone's working together in a last ditch effort.

All the group stuff is very spontaneous, as well. You'll find people just yelling in allcaps that they're starting a group together to raid the high-level areas, and it actually works.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:06:54 PM
I think I've died, like, eight times so far... Granted, two were on purpose so I could get the Archer, but still!

* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:33:49 PM
hehe, yep.. if you play long enough you start seeing people in chat yelling at high-level mobs to "KILL ME!"
presumably so they unlock a new class.  [:P

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:00 PM
Heh, just found the teleport function, though being a bit careless with it got me killed at level 13 >.>