Author Topic: Wanting to start writ... er, DRAWING, would like to know where Vimir started  (Read 29674 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Umm, hi. I've recently gotten the urge to try my paw at drawing, and I've grown rather fond of Vimir's style. Since the sources we learn from influence our style's, I figured asking where he learned might help me mimic it in my own way... does anyone know or is this getting creepy-stalkerish?  {fox}

Edit: Changed "writing" to "drawing". This is what happens when I make posts late at night >>

And I changed the thread title... -- Tvorsk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:07:52 PM by Tvorsk »

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
In my opinion, two words: Metamor Keep. At least, that's MY opinion on Virmir. But, in reality, a writing style comes not only from what you read, but what you experience in life as well.

Since you're here, go to the chat room at the nearest opportunity, as a good portion of us are writers here, and the chat room is the best place to talk with us. If you really want to write EXACTLY like Virmir, I can so help you analyze one of his stories that you liked, or any other one. Everyone here calls me "AnalystWolf"...thanks to Virmir's drawing of me...

Ummmmm...welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!

((Virmir, feel free to comment on where you gained your inspiration.))

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Oh bollocks! I just read my own post. I meant DRAWING! I already write XD

This is what I get for doing posts so late at night >.>

Pontos

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Moving back to Art Section then |:P

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Thank you. Technically I don't actually need to know how he started, but if I could find a step-by step guide to drawing something like his "Cute and Fluffy" picture, then I can adapt it to my own characters. One of the weird things I can do well is alter, but not design. Not sure how that works really.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Oh you're in luck! Virmir just started to record his ustreams at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/virmir You can watch him do his drawings step by step! I guess you're trying to adapt his drawing techniques to your own style? 

Do you have an DA or FA account? it would be cool too see that you have done so far!

(haha Its not that creepy/Staklerish, I'm curious too at how other artists approach things! ]:))

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Ah, thanks. this should help. And I haven't actually drawn anything before other than a few tracings =/
I've written alot though. I have a shifti page under the name LloydBrunnel.http://shifti.org/wiki/User:Lloyd_Brunnel

Edit: Just checked the link you provided. Handy, but I guess I was hoping for something more along the lines of this => http://www.howtoodraw.com/fox-how-to-draw-a-quick-drawing/ and the stream is too long to use properly, which is expected I guess.
Oh well, beggars can't be choosers after all. Thanks again for the link. I'll see what I can learn from it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:48:11 PM by Lloyd »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Hi Lloyd!

I'm flattered you like my drawings.  Thank you very much!

The truth is, I'm pretty much entirely self taught apart from the occasional tutorial or so.  It's been, heck, about a three-year-long experience of trial and error for me.  Only recently have I started considering myself somewhat decent. [;)

I doodled before a bit before then, but I would say my real starting point was around the end of 2006 when I bought a drawing tablet and decided I wanted to draw foxes. [;)  The only decent tutorial I could find was this on how to do muzzles.  Apart from that, I just (frustratingly) tried to scribble out what I wanted and hoped it worked out.  Some artists recommend looking at another piece of work for reference.  Truth be told, even though I often intend to find good reference pictures, I rarely do this and usually end up trying to figure things out on my own.

After I hired Tod to do the pencils for Crimson Flag, I'll admit I leeched some traits off of him from tracing his foxes over and over again. [;)  Most notably would be the four fingered hands and ruffles in the ears.

You'll probably get this anywhere, but I'll say it again because it really is true.  The only way to learn how to draw is to practice.  Aside from the comic, I'm trying to draw one or two drawings per week.  I've been doing this for nearly a year and I've improved tremendously just by drawing over and over again.  In June I did a Sketch Month, in which I drew a sketch every single day for 30 days straight with no exceptions.  Again, marked improvement from start to finish.  I'm going to do another one sometime soon. [;)

It's going to be very frustrating at first.  It was for me.   But keep at it.  If you *really* want it, you'll get it. [;)

Good luck!  And post your ventures for us to see. [:)

Also, yay, Shifti page.  Will check a few of those stories out some time. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the advice. It also turns out that the stream became alot more useful when I figured out how to skip ahead/rewind >>

The result is this:

Something tells me I need to rethink my approach ><

I'll start some fiddling on my own now, but does anyone know where I can find a tutorial for drawing sitting animals?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:37:00 AM by Lloyd »

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for the advice. It also turns out that the stream became alot more useful when I figured out how to skip ahead/rewind >>

We are planning to post a cleaned-up sped-up versions of the stream recordings somewhere in the mid-far future... hopefully Relatively Soon Now.

The result is this:

[ img ]http://C:\Users\<your login name removed for privacy>\Documents\082015.jpg[ /img ]

Umm... I'm afraid that you need to post the pic to ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr or similar and give us a link to THAT... links to your home computer's hard drive don't really work. {fox}
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:28:09 PM by Tvorsk »

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Umm... I'm afraid that you need to post the pic to ImageShack, Photobucket, Flickr or similar and give us a link to THAT... links to your home computer's hard drive don't really work. {fox}

Oh also http://www.artspots.com/ Might be good as well, its an art gallery for anthropomorphic arts, you might like it! It's what Virmir uses to upload pics here as well!

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Uhh, will this work?

http://lloydbrunnel.artspots.com/image/37966/first-drawing

Anyway... I'm thinking my current approach needs some work. I'll probably fiddle around trying to produce something without glancing over at a guide every 3sec, though if someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial for drawing a sitting animal I'd much appreciate it.

Oh, and what program was Vimir using in the stream? I've never seen something like that before.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Awesome, Lloyd. [:)

I use Paint Tool SAI, which is kind of like a simplified Photoshop with vector tools.

Don't know any tutorials for sitting animals, but I might try doodling one sometime. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Downloaded, but having trouble starting since all my circles end up really blocky >> do you use a stylus or something?

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Yea, he uses a tablet-pc! they are awesome things! But somewhat expensive especislly of you already have a laptop!

SAI was basically designed to be used with a tablet-pc or a graphics tablet since it accepts the tablets pressure sensitivity and other features.