Author Topic: What is your favorite mythological/magical/fiction creature?  (Read 10382 times)

Draykin

• Quad-Tailed Island Kitsune Warlock
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • What could possibly go wrong, besides the obvious?
    • View Profile
I'm been wondering this for awhile now, but I am just too lazy to ask everyone personally, so I made a thread about it. The question is exactly as the title says!

What is your favorite mythological/magical/fiction creature?

Edit: I can't believe I forgot to put this in...

My favorite would have to be the kitsune. I like foxes, but why not add in the powers? More than one tail can be cool, and I really dig the shape-shifting, trickery, and the aspect that some are just plain evil.

Don't get me wrong though, I love most mythological stuff, but the kitsune is just at the top of my list. I will state now, it's followed by a few rare things many of you have probably never heard of.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:31:42 AM by Draykin »

It gets so lonely being evil
What I'd do to see a smile
Even for a little while
And no one loves you when you're evil
I'm lying through my teeth!
Your tears are all the company I need

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
You should know mine already obviously ;)

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Geary

• Pyro
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
^ and Kitsunes

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
"Classic" mythological creature speaking, I do like kitsune.  But mostly because they are foxes and an extra tail or two can look awesome.  The powers generally associated with them are cool, though I'm not a huge fan of tricksters or heavy shape-shifters.  I tend to prefer normal foxes.  They can be quite fun story characters though.

I also like the concept of dryads.  That is a spirit bound to a tree as a guardian.  They tend to be depicted as leafy creatures, but I think normal gray foxes fit this role nicely, and honestly could see myself in such a role deep in some nice warm forest or something. [;)  (And I don't see why they couldn't use fire magic.  I mean, leaves aren't that much more susceptible to flame than fur. [;))

[fox] Virmir

Evilhumour

• The possessor of the almighty tail snap
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Dragons, oh how I love them.

(07:46:59) Robak: watch the horns they are pointy
(22:04:28) Risu: omg, its raining antimuffins!
(00:42:42) * (Rage_plushie) doesn`t move. instead he ponders the secrets of the universe...and wonders why trask smells faintly of strawberries.
(00:36:36) Virmir: It's fattening celergy!

Kasimir

• Yet another toon-furry grey fox
  • Dammit.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
I like frogs and masticores/manticores.

"Mission taken!" [:P

Draykin

• Quad-Tailed Island Kitsune Warlock
  • What could possibly go wrong, besides the obvious?
    • View Profile
"Classic" mythological creature speaking, I do like kitsune.  But mostly because they are foxes and an extra tail or two can look awesome.  The powers generally associated with them are cool, though I'm not a huge fan of tricksters or heavy shape-shifters.  I tend to prefer normal foxes.  They can be quite fun story characters though.

I also like the concept of dryads.  That is a spirit bound to a tree as a guardian.  They tend to be depicted as leafy creatures, but I think normal gray foxes fit this role nicely, and honestly could see myself in such a role deep in some nice warm forest or something. [;)  (And I don't see why they couldn't use fire magic.  I mean, leaves aren't that much more susceptible to flame than fur. [;))

I really must say... I don't hear about dryads very often.

It gets so lonely being evil
What I'd do to see a smile
Even for a little while
And no one loves you when you're evil
I'm lying through my teeth!
Your tears are all the company I need

Tirien

• Drarowkune Swordmaster.
  • Need...more...swords!
    • View Profile
I should also point out that green, health wood and plants are actually less flammable than flesh and fur. The main problem is that tree's can't run around and dump water on themselves, and the fact that dead, dried up plants and brush are quite flammable. So yes, a live tree could shoot fireballs, so long as it's careful and can douse itself as well.  {;)

Also, I'm not sure what would be my favorite, lucky me, I got a huge book that has nothing but information about such stuff, so I will have to look through that again. Some really wierd things in it.

"Crimson Flag Chat Room: The only place you can find marshmallow cheese, a dragon with hay fever, a snot-covered wolf, and a Tirien mistaken for a towel in one room." -Fen
"I scoff at your donut! It has done nothing!" -Draykin

Anter

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
I do love a good demon. Incubi, Imps, Hellhounds...

If those don't count, then I'd have to go with a Naga.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
It will probably come as NO surprise that I don't actually have a favorite. When I was really young I liked dragons, and then liked gryphons for a while... There was an entire year that I was really into japanese mythology and kitsune in particular and that's actually where 'kit' comes from.

However I have also always been a fan of elementals and other magical constructs. Similar to dryads except not bound to an object. Shape-shifters are also high on my list (since I can never choose just one thing... may as well have them all). A couple of years back I invented (and then subsequently discovered they already existed) the cyro-phoenix. I had a very brief elf stage when I was 12, and of course I'm also fond of angel, vampire, and were-wolf varients. I've always been interested in pantheon style gods which I'm pretty sure count for this.

Basically I have a wide variety of interests and can never choose one over the other so I mix, match, and invent my own way. In summary... my favorite mythological being is me!

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37:16 PM
[...]My favorite mythological being is me!

I'm pretty sure that's the way it is for all of us.  We're awesome, though, so why shouldn't we be?

Tirien

• Drarowkune Swordmaster.
  • Need...more...swords!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 10:42:12 PM
True enough, Dragyn. I am my own favorite!

"Crimson Flag Chat Room: The only place you can find marshmallow cheese, a dragon with hay fever, a snot-covered wolf, and a Tirien mistaken for a towel in one room." -Fen
"I scoff at your donut! It has done nothing!" -Draykin

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:24:29 PM
For me its the Karasu-Tengu(aka in L5R, the Kenku *hint-hint*). Even since I heard about them with the Legend of the Five rings series I have been interested with them. In the way they act and their sort of hidden presence. I will say the idea of the crow human seemed to also interested me.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 05:18:44 PM
Can't believe I missed out on this for as long as I did!
My favorite specific Mythological Creature is Fenrisúlfr, The Fenrir Wolf! A lot of fuzzies who have been around since I showed up probably could have guessed that, though. On a more general sense, I like dragons, because they're cool.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?