Author Topic: Islands of Infinity OOC  (Read 59443 times)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:32 PM
All right, decided on a setting. This is going to take place in a floating island kingdom type place. This essentially means I get to create new settings at a moment's whim without having to retool geology or anything. Getting from island to island is usually done by airship, though it's not unknown for people to try 'swimming'. Basically gravity only exists over what it's made to exist over such as islands or airships. The islands is natural, the airships artificial because life here generally evolved with gravity in mind.

Other things this brings up... high and low (or up and down, whatever) are additional add-ons to compass directions. This means that you may find an island to the high-north-west. Basically (as you might have figured by now) I have decided that laws of physics can go bite themselves. Inertia is going to be the same as well as friction and just about everything but gravity actually. Unless a certain island says otherwise ;).

General starting area will probably be a relatively high tech city. Kind of your basic crossroads town... except it's on a floating island so there's no roads. It's just in the middle of a few important areas. Another thing that came up... technology will essentially be fairly low. Think colonial days technology offset by magic to take care of other stuff. Why invent the lightbulb when most people can make themselves glow? Actually I need to put a little more thought into the level of magic so I'll get back to that. But each player can have one thing that's higher tech than usual. Anything else has to be added in the actual story.

And aside from that, feel free to start making characters so I can get an idea of where to start everyone off and what the initial plot should be!

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 11:30:50 PM
I guess Ill roll out the character I was thinking.
Name: William "Nightmare" Shenks
Height: 5' 11"

Affinity: Shadows

What I have of now, is that the character is a sort of sneak, with the ability to blend in to the faintist of shadows and transform into that which relishes it. I don't know if as part of that I wish him to be more of the information collector, or the "item requistioner", but this seems to be a good start to the idea. As Stormkit noted, as a counteract of this ability, William does not like being out in bright lights, and during the day would rather stay as far inside as possible, where lights are always dim...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:45:33 PM by Kenku »

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 07:25:30 AM
arighty then, I suppose I'll go with this:

Eik "Tree" Drauger
Affinity: Forests

Obviously plant/forest critter oriented, usually taking the form of a large Earth elemental with a tree growing out of his back. This lessens (but does not negate) the discomfort of being out of a forest, and allows him to travel in modern cities for extended amounts of time, at the cost of greatly reduced mobility. Usually exits this form only when necessary or in the presence of at least 3 other trees of considerable age. It's sort of a mediator character, using his mass to keep people from fighting/escaping/etc. A side effect of traveling with a tree at all times makes him easy to find and gives him a fear of fire; not for himself but because the tree itself may be damaged or destroyed.

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 09:22:50 AM
This looks like a cool idea. Is it possible for me to join in?

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 11:53:05 AM
This looks like a cool idea. Is it possible for me to join in?

Sure Jonas, were still setting up and making preliminary characters.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 12:40:58 PM
One idea that I've been toying with is a "Big Bad Wolf" type of character who's really just a softie bookworm. The idea of a muscled anthro curled up with a book and glasses just seems funny to me. What affinity would that work with?

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 06:08:35 PM
Well personality and affinity are not necessarily related to each other, but in your case I'm getting an impression of 'protection'. Big and powerful, a strong guard, but the application of this strength is defense rather than attack. Possible forms would include just about any sort of pack animal as well as perhaps particularly territorial creatures. The downside of course would be that you really can't stand by while someone/thing is being victimized. You'd have an urge to protect anything in need of protection to the extent you are able. If you don't like this idea I'll see if I can come up with another and of course you're free to make suggestions of your own.

Fenrs: In particular your character would dislike arid climates or other places with lack of life. Cities wouldn't be nearly so bad as deserts. Even in human or other form you'd be liable to shrivel and/or wilt if there's not enough water around. This isn't a physical thing exactly but more a spiritual one where your character would be less active and more depressed. The thing about the trees you mentioned works well and would be specific to the fact that its forest, but you should be okay in places like cities so long as they aren't like the modern urban settings with solid concrete everywhere. As long as you can get at sun, water, and good ground you should be okay. Lack of one or more will start negatively affecting you depending on how severe the lack is.

Kenku: Your revised character general info seems pretty good. If anything else comes up later (good or bad) I'll let you know.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 07:47:02 PM
Hmm, maybe it would be better if I described my guy's intended personality and you can tell me what affinities he'd match up with?

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 10:16:33 PM
hmm, aright then! That makes things easier. Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with though.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 10:53:06 PM
Ok, so he isn't scholarly or anything like that (reads for fun) but he gets very excited when encountering things he's read about (in the case of people/places/things) or when he gets in situations that parallel those in his books. Socially awkward, but not for lack of trying. He's fairly oblivious to the effect his size has on people and frequently underestimates his own strength (hugs/handshakes can be unintentionlly hazardous for example, let alone any glomp attemps =O ). He's also somewhat literal-minded, especially in regards to innuendos or euphamisms.

My initial idea was for his affinity to be "fantasy" and he'd be able to take the shape of fairy tale creatures, but I realized that didn't make much sense in the long run. 

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 08:04:14 AM
really it's hard to draw a line of what would work and what wouldn't work, since this is such an interesting concept. With the whole form based upon affinity thing, a lot of experimental stuff could be really cool; while making my character I wondered how a chaos or life affinity would work out, things like that.

I have also now realized that this universe could potentially make for a good shared story universe.

good works!  [;)

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:29:51 AM
Fantasy is a little vague since it encompasses so many things, and indeed this very RP. Perhaps a better idea would be child-like or wondrous or fantastical. There's a word I'm looking for, I think, which means essentially child-like wonder in the fantastical or something like that. The only issue with this is that you'd get forms that match the personality rather than the big hulking thing you have in mind.

In this case, the personality has nothing to do with the forms you can take. Which means your affinity is not going to be related to your personality. Don't worry, this is perfectly possible, you just need to think of an affinity that would cover the forms you want that doesn't have a bearing on his personality. If nothing comes to you, try listing various forms you'd expect to want to be able to take and I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas. (and for the record 'protection' wouldn't be incompatible with the personality you've described. It just means that on top of the naivety and excitability and stuff, he has an intense dislike of bullying)

As for Fen: You'd be amazed at how easily those two affinities would work out. I already described the life affinity in my original description of this universe. As for chaos, emphasis would be on forms that don't adhere to rules. This basically means no forms with herd or pack structures, and an emphasis on the unpredictable. Earth elementals would be out, and water iffy, but lightning, fire, and air would all be fine. Just continue that trend and the 'pattern' emerges.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 09:47:20 AM
Okay, setting update of nifty awesome. This is mostly flavor stuff so if it's scary big you can probably skip >.>

This began when Fen asked me how gravity works and everything sorta followed from there. First of all, gravity will mostly exist in cyllindrical form about islands. The up side pulls you down, the down side pushes you away. This is why people live on the top and put docking stuff on the bottom. The effect tapers off after a short while so you won't fall forever at accelerating pace off the bottom and islands passing over each other won't crash. Aside from these zones, gravity is null. Inertia rules and unprepared people are liable to just keep going forever. Thankfully most people have at least one form that can do something about this and navigate through the atmosphere. Thus wings are a great way to reverse direction and several elementals that don't technically have mass can also change direction in some way or another. Use creativity here.

Then Tvorsk asked me how there can be an atmosphere if there's no gravity. The answer is that there is an infinite amount of air to fill this infinite universe. It just goes on forever, presumably with islands that just go on and on. This of course brings up the issue of lighting, namely stars and the sun. The answer is that they don't exist. Instead light in this universe (while emiting normally from fire and hot metals, etc) is primarily based on dust motes. In particular lite motes which float around everywhere emitting light in the visible spectrum. Light intensity is based on density, but they tend to wander around in groups. When inside such a cloud light is everywhere around you. Objects in the distance get sorta whited out. It's like a fog, but brighter. When such a cloud is nearby, it acts sort of like a sun that has a weird shape. In this universe, scientists aren't allowed to assume spherical shape ;).

Anyway, counter part to lite motes are of course dark motes. These are exactly the same as lite motes except they absorb light instead of emit it. They don't emit darkness so they don't act like a negative sun, but they do have a greater tendency to group together (being heavier) and become more dense which means that when you're in the middle of one of these clouds, it can get pitch black as opposed to a lite mote fog which usually leaves visibility for a while before things get blotted out. It's possible for higher density lite mote clouds or lower density dark mote clouds, but this is what you'll usually find. Dark mote clouds in a distance don't cast darkness, but just blot out all the light behind it, like clouds at night blotting out stars. When both lite and dark motes are nearby, light defaults to a sort of twilight look. Similarly when neither are present, light defaults to a dawn sort of look. As you can imagine these two states are difficult to tell apart.

For the most part this system doesn't throw off states of night and day too badly. Daytime with the 'sun' in the sky still casts shadows and overhead dark clouds will cut off light (okay I lied, they project darkness but only in a roundabout manner) and leave an island in darkness while torches, etc still give off light. Inside the clouds it's hard to escape these motes so torches, blindfolds, etc really don't have the effect they'd normally have, which is why people started collecting these motes themselves. By use of filters, it is possible to collect lite and dark motes and trap them in a jar like so many fireflies. They make excellent safe sources of light and are generally standard fare in most civilizations.

Now since dark motes 'eat' what lite motes create, dark motes like light motes, but lite motes dislike dark motes. This means that they tend to chase each other around the place creating relatively stable night-day cycles. As lite motes are lighter than dark motes, they escape faster than dark motes can chase so they keep fairly spread apart usually. Jars of lite motes in a dark fog will attract the dark motes making the fog less dense and jars of dark motes will drive off a lite fog in the locality. As dark motes are attracted by most lights, it is not uncommon for residue to collect on the outside of lamps and near fireplaces, often called 'dark soot'. This is usually pushed off and kept in bags out of the way until excess can be ejected safely back off the island. Anyway, such collected motes make useful inventions such as (aside from previously mentioned fog dispellers) lamps, shades, glitter, and smoke bombs. Again, use your imagination here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:55:58 AM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:08 PM
I guess that leaves a question of is there some sort of diurnal cycles or is it rather random at best? Also, does this mean sleeping quarters in most cases are probably "Inner Rooms without windows"?

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50:16 PM
For all that it's kind of random, due to the aforementioned property where they chase each other, it's somewhat regulated. This of course isn't always true as with elements of chance, the unusual can certainly occur. For the most part think of it like weather patterns. Sun comes, dark comes, sun comes again full of water and dumps rain on you. As for sleeping... well there's a reason they use dark soot to coat glass for shades. You can apply it at night and wipe it off come morning. It has to be done right so it doesn't wander off in search of light again, but you get the idea.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.