Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons, take 2  (Read 28498 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:31 PM
Ok, I've worked out some of the kinks my last attempt at a forum DnD game had, so I'm looking to see if any fuzzies are interested in starting a forum-based Dungeons and Dragons game. We'll be using 4th edition.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:20:20 PM
I'll try

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:47:41 PM
I guess I'll take another swing at it.  Not sure whether to go rogue or ranger, I've hammered out builds for both but what it comes down to is the rogue has much higher damage potential per hit, but the ranger is probably going to land more hits (due to attacking twice as often if nothing else) and have more consistent damage.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:50:46 AM
I'd definitely want to try again... gotta break my bad luck at dice {:P

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:27:24 AM
I'm in, provided we can find a time that works for everyone.  Do we have a timeframe for this, yet?

Not sure what I'd play as, though.  We'll see.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 03:19:23 PM
There won't be a timeframe per se, since this will be done via forum. I'd like to get started before the end of the month though, if that's what you mean. As for classes, don't worry too much about filling roles and just play what you like. I'll have a more detailed set of guidelines posted in a day or so--just want to see if anyone else wants to play.

PrincessToyTime

• Chaotic Good Pooltoy/Plush hybrid Alicorn Princess
  • For my friends, with my friends, forever.
    • View Profile
    • Trask's FA! [Warning: Contains Toys, Tails and TF!]
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:37:06 PM
Sure, I will give this a go! Sign me up chief!  [:)

(16:30:39) Virmir: You are a pony by default now? GAH HA HA
(16:31:04) Virmir: I never knew any true ponies.
(16:31:14) Virmir: I quite like your pony look.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:30 PM
Ok, attached to this post is a page outlining the guidelines for this game. In addition, here are a series of campaign themes that you can choose from.

The Astral Sea: Divine Dominions and shattered realms float throughout this infinite, sparkling expanse. The realm of gods, devils, abominations, and more, there is equal parts terror and beauty to find if you travel far enough. The Astral Sea was the battleground of the Dawn War between gods and primordials, and many dangers from that time still float through the plane. This campaign would start in the mortal world but transition to the Astral Sea shortly before or after the paragon tier. It will be more exploration-focused than the other options presented but feature varied environments and challenges as players explore astral dominions ranging from wondrous city of Hestavir to the heart of the Nine Hells.

Urban Adventure: Resting within a plane separate from normal cosmology is Sigil, the City of Doors. This sprawling metropolis is a congregation of every plane and race possible. Devils work alongside Devas, mind flayers and vampires can walk free, and a myriad of portals ensure a constant flow of near-unlimited goods. This campaign will take place almost exclusively within the city of Sigil, with an occasional adventure occurring in other planes. Expect a more directed flow, but be aware that since the city is the main hub of the campaign, your actions will have more long-term consequences down the line.

Through the Veil of Madness: The Far Realm is a plane beyond space and time. It is a realm of alien laws and anathematic geometry. Simply attempting to comprehend its nature can break the mind and scar the soul. Though blocked off from full interaction with the world, entities of the Far Realm remain a dire threat to those that value their sanity. This campaign will take place primarily in the mortal world, with occasional visits to the Shadowfell or Feywild. Players will start out in normal adventures that grow into a frantic race against time as they face off against the full terror of the stars.

Courts of the Fey: The Feywild is a plane infused with arcane magic. It is a land of fervent and flowing extremes. Strange and beautiful creatures live among the forests and glades of the Feywild, but beauty is often dangerous here. The archfey that rule here wield immense power and fierce passions that twist into a thick web of faerie politics. This campaign will take place almost exclusively within the Feywild and will revolve around the different factions and alliances that make up this realm. Though there will still be adventures and combat, there will also be times when saying the right thing will be more important that striking the right blow.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:24:16 PM by Jonas »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:38 PM
Alright, that all looks good.  I do still have the Anthro Races around, but I can understand and endorse your decision to omit them--it'll make things much easier for everyone, I suspect.

I think I'll continue to use the character builder to make my character, but I'll get a Mythweaver's version set up before we begin.

On that note...what I meant when I asked for a timeframe was just how long do I have to get my character ready?  Do we have a set date for that, or are we gonna' just wait for everyone to say they're ready?

I'll probably have my character set up within the week, regardless.  I'm mostly just curious.

I don't really have any preference for campaign setting, though I'd prefer Either Sigil or the Far Realm, I think.

As for race and class...I'll post again once I come to a decision.  I'm leaning towards something mobile and striker-y, though. 

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:20 PM
Hmm, alright.  I've got a question about equipment though, I was going to build a Ranger making use of their two-weapon abilities.  Would I have to choose between having two blades or having a bow, or is one blade and a bow the only option?  If I take a dagger as my ranged weapon (in order to have two blades), would spare daggers count as ammunition so that I don't run out after the first throw?

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 11:44:11 PM
I also have a new question:  I'm not sure I'd do it anyway, but is the Hybrid Class system available to us as well?  I know it was added in PHB3, but it does add a lot of complexity to things.

EDIT:  I'm not gonna' do the Hybrid thing, anyway.

I think I've settled on a monk, but this brings up a question:  Does my Monk Unarmed Strike count as my melee weapon, or do I get to bring a spear, too?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:26:52 AM by Dragyn »

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:40:10 AM
Two-weapon Ranger can start with a second melee weapon because it's required for their abilities. This does not count against being able to start with a ranged weapon.

The monk unarmed strike does not count as a starting weapon due to the fact that it isn't optional. Just be aware that using a spear won't grant any range benefit with monk powers (they're all touch 1 or melee 1 for the most part)

Also, I think I should clarify something about the Full Discipline powers for monks. While you can do the move action and standard action abilities of the Full Discipline powers in any order, you cannot do anything in between them. For instance, you can use the standard action attack and then the move ability, or the move ability and then the standard action attack. What you cannot do, however, is something like use the move ability, use an item, and then use the standard action attack.

Time limit for character creation/campaign vote is the end of the week.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
I know, Jonas.  There's a feat I could take that would let me Use the spear's reach with my Flurry of Blows, but I mostly want the spear for just in case we run into something I don't really want to stand right next to.  Monks aren't defenders, after all.

Um...not to nitpick, Jonas, but where does it say that about Full Disciplines?  I know you can only use one full discipline in a round (Unless I use an action point), but I don't see where it says I can't do anything between them...

It's not gonna' be a problem, either way.  I'm just trying to make sure we're seeing the same things.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:02:51 PM
It doesn't say that anywhere, it's just my interpretation of the rules based on the idea behind the class. Monks are designed with the idea that they can pull off acrobatic feats as part of their attacks, so my ruling is intended to keep the movement and attack portions linked.

For the record, this doesn't apply to free actions (since those can be used even in the middle of other actions)

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:50 PM
Ah.  All right, then.

Assuming I got the settings right, this time:
Here is my character sheet.