Author Topic: Irae vs. Bloomblade  (Read 12883 times)

Shifting Sands

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
on: July 31, 2012, 10:22:23 PM
Once you regain some semblance of balance and register where you are after reading the matches, you look around and find you're back in the arena. Sitting atop the throne where Kain was before is a robed, shadowy figure that doesn't appear to have a face, feet, hands... or any body at all, as far as you can tell. The robe seems to right in your direction, and then mutters "Begin," somehow reaching your ears and readying you without your own doing.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:03:12 PM
The clouds above part with a peal of thunder, and a ray of light descends from Heaven upon the Arena.  The echoing voice of a great chorus rumbles overhead,

"Líbera me, Dómine, de morte ætérna, in die illa treménda:"

A dove, white as snow, flies overhead.  It flits about, spiraling down within the cone of light from Heaven.

"Quando cœli movéndi sunt et terra."

The dove flies away, returning to Heaven, but in its wake a single piece of parchment continues its descent until it rests on the ground.

"Dum véneris iudicáre sǽculum per ignem."

The light narrows, coming to a focus on the parchment before winking from existence, though a glow of pure white continues to surround the parchment itself.

"Tremens factus sum ego, et tímeo, dum discússio vénerit, atque ventúra ira."

A beam of light shoots out from the parchment, as further pages fly out from it as from a fountain and swirl as if in a small tornado.

"Quando cœli movendi sunt et terra."

With a flash the papers suddenly freeze and a figure is barely visible in their midst, his head bowed in prayer.  A silver cross suspended from a chain around his neck seems to shine though the cloud of parchment.

"Dies illa, dies iræ, calamitátis et misériæ, dies magna et amára valde."

The figure slowly looks up as the papers slowly drift to the ground around him, his eyes hidden behind the reflective glare of his glasses.

"Dum véneris iudicáre sǽculum per ignem."

He snaps the large tome in his hand shut, and tucks it into his long flowing coat.  He speaks calmly, in time with the chorus overhead,

"Réquiem ætérnam dona ei, Dómine: et lux perpétua lúceat ei."

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Geary

• Pyro
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:44 PM
Geoff applauds the dramatic entrance, and he takes a moment to look his opponent up and down before casually walking towards him, grass spreading from where he steps and slowly expanding around his end of the field. "Greetings. I sincerely hope that we can take a brief respite before fighting, my last match still has me worked up, and I can't enjoy combat that way."

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:47 PM
Irae's eyes scan over his opponent, and he arches an eyebrow at what he sees.
"You are neither fiend nor devil.  Another innocent soul drawn to this field of bloodshed."
He sighs and shakes his head,
"Very well, we shall... rest.  Though I do not think we shall be able to for long."

He casts a meaningful glance at the stands, specifically at the shadowy figure. Taking the time to recite some prayers and incantations from his tome, a small table and two simple wooden chairs are summoned between the two. "Please, have a seat."

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:29 AM
Geoff sits on the chair closest to him. The wood seems to appear fresher, and the grass continues growing into Irae's side of the field. "First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Geoff Bloomblade, Chief Dueling Representative of the species Procyon. As my name might imply, I represent my species in realms where words are not valued, but the realm is civilized enough that war is not the immediate alternative, though my position has me designating Representatives far more often than joining campaigns myself."

The raccoon waits a second for his words to sink in. "Second, might I ask what world you're from? It's clearly not one of the Mundane realms, though your reaction to me also leads me to believe it's not yet one of the realms where the Procyon have established a foothold or embassy." Geoff gauges the reaction of the man sitting across the table, seeing if his words clicked.

* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:59 PM
Irae sits down, resting an arm on the table.  He gives a short nod after Geoff introduces himself, then answers,
"I hail from Volksland, in the distant land of Mittelerde, but I serve the Kingdom of Heaven.   You might say I am an... ambassador, of sorts."

Irae smiles, "I am Irae Iscariot.  I have not seen any of your dress and customs in my world, sir Bloomblade, but we are all the Lord's children no matter how far we may find ourselves scattered.  It is regrettable that we have met under such... dire circumstances, but I do have a mission to accomplish, you understand."

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:57:56 PM
Geoff nods to Irae's response. "Do not worry, this is not a fight to the death, at least from what I am aware of, and in my culture, such gentlemanly combat is not something to be regretted, but something to relish and learn from. It is said you can learn more about a person from their first strike than from a hour of talking, though I tend to prefer the latter whenever possible."

Geoff cups a paw around his furred chin. "That being said, I hope you would indulge me in regards to your religion. I've always had an interest in theology, as many worlds share nearly parallel views of the divine. Generally the only outliers are worlds with mortals powerful enough that the line between mortality and omnipotence is hard to distinguish, but those are few and far between. That being said, could you give me a few of the more rudimentary details of your pantheon?"

Shifting Sands

• I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:57 PM
The robed shadow sighs and flicks a sleeve, scattering a few hundred scorpions across the battlefield. "I have more patience than most, but this is an arena, you do understand. You will have time after your FIGHT to discuss things if you really wish."

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 02:46:43 PM
Irae arches an eyebrow at the scorpions,

"How inconvenient.  Cursed fiends and their violent notions of 'entertainment'."

With a flick of his wrist a blade impales a scorpion that had landed upon the table.  Wrenching the blade loose he examines the still-twitching arachnid skewered on its end.

"These are a delicacy among the eastern nomads, quite good with figs, though I doubt this is the same species." 

He places his tome upon the table, and flips through its yellowed pages.

"I am reluctant to slay an innocent seeker, I trust you shall exercise discretion that it shall not be necessary."

Pages begin to detach themselves from the tome and fly into the air.  Once a few are suspended above him he slams the tome shut, stands up, and throws his arms above his head, seven daggers sailing into the air.  Each impacts a page and brings it arcing down to the ground, six dispersing equidistant from each other roughly a dozen yards from the table in every direction.  The seventh descends straight back down, nailing its page to the center of the table.

With a flash of holy light a six-pointed star is etched on the ground between the pages, and the scorpions within are purged.  Those around the perimeter find themselves blocked by a barrier with the appearance of white fire as they skitter around its edges.

"Can't have a proper fight with those little anklebiters crawling around.  The arena is prepared, let us discuss the terms of our challenge."

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:03:54 PM
Geoff rolls his eyes at the aggressive gesture by the robed man. "Well, we are both gentlemen, so I believe we can rule out fighting to exhaustion or physical impairment, nor are we properly equipped for a proper fencing match, so I believe first blood would be the best manner of dueling in these... rushed conditions. Would you like a single match, first to two, or first to three? I'd be willing to do more, but I doubt our 'gracious hosts' would allow it."

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:21 PM
Irae's cassock billows behind him as if blown by a slight wind, and he nods towards his opponent.

"Two shall suffice.  The seal we stand in should be sufficient to mend any wounds we are likely to incur, so long as we remain reasonably intact."

He extends his left arm, and a blade appears to descend from his sleeve to be caught by his hand.

"Shall we?"

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:42:30 PM
Geoff draws his saber from its sheath, the grass covering the arena seeming to brighten with health as the blade is exposed to open air. The raccoon presses his left arm to his back and takes a readied stance. "After you."

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:45:58 PM
Irae quickly sidesteps around the left side of the table, pivoting to keep his weapon arm between him and his opponent as he watches the other's guard.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:06 PM
Geoff takes two steps away from the table, in time with Irae's steps. He isn't able to gleam much, though he has a hunch Irae is rounding down his options.

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:23 PM
Irae cautiously advances towards Geoff.  He makes a quick low feint, but doesn't close distance and quickly returns to a guarded stance.