Author Topic: Pie Filling  (Read 3505 times)

Shifting Sands

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
on: March 27, 2013, 02:25:02 PM
HAHAHAHA PUNS THANKS GEARY

The sun was overjoyed to stab at my eyes with its beautiful rays of sunshine that morning. I mumbled a curse, my voice raw and sounding odd, and tried to blink away the bright light burning on me. Sadly, today wasn’t the day it would work.

That helped me realized that the sun was up before I was. Meaning I was late. Again.

With a loud grunt, I tried to heft myself out of bed to get ready for work. Or school, whichever it was today. As per usual my body rebelled and refused to get out of my bed (which seemed warmer and softer than I remembered), so I tried to remind my body I needed an education and money to feed myself. Y’know, both physically and mentally, since that’s the thing they tell you from an early age. Or something.

The refusal to get up seemed to be more deeply rooted than I thought. Maybe my mind was in control and forcing the rest of me to wake up, but my body could not comply. And I don’t know how I realized that. Maybe it was the jerky movements in my stiff joints, the numbness in my face, or the lack of feeling in my fingers and toes. And the utter lack of those last two things.

At first I thought, Oh, it must just be them sleeping. But then I shoved my hand into my face and found a large lack of phalanges.

And there was a change of color in my hand. My utterly flat palm, colored pink, now led to a pink forearm.

Now that was finally enough shock to jar my mind and body both. The latter of the two tried to push itself out of bed, while the former just kept thinking stupid thoughts, such as restating the fact that what I had seen of myself was pink, that I had no fingers, and that I was going to be really, really late now. With no help from motor control, I managed to push off the covers of the bed, and tried to sit up, with little success. My neck was aching like hell, and now it got to enjoy being propped up on a pillow that suddenly felt like hot steel. I managed to get a look down at myself, rechecking that lack of fingers. And, you know, the pinkness.

After rechecking, I checked again. And again. Just to make sure that I was really seeing an entirely pink body, covered in coarse hair, attached to my now pink neck, attached to whatever I was seeing with. Not just any pink body, no – a pink pony one.

Most of my head was focused on freaking out, making me hyperventilate in a higher pitched voice and widen my eyes, which, come to think of it, already seemed really wide. Yes, I was looking at some pink pony’s body, and I tried to move my right leg. The leg on the right gave a twitch. I tried to blink my eyes, and my sight switched off and on briefly.

Dear God, was I really looking at Pinkie Pie – no, no, don’t draw conclusions. Look, I don’t even know all that much about the whole pony thing. Yes, I have seen every episode, and that’s the extent, I swear. Okay, so maybe I dabbled in reading some stories, or listened to some music. Sure, maybe I was more involved than most teenage men would normally be, but I didn’t expect ponies to invade my life or dreams, let alone my body.

Wait, there it was. This entire thing could just be a dream. I’d had worse, much more convincing dreams, so this couldn’t be anything bad or too hard to get over. I pulled up an arm awkwardly and pinched myself –

Well. Would have pinched myself, anyway. But the lack of fingers made that hard. And besides, when has that ever worked for anyone before? I had a much better plan: A good headbutt to my hoof – er, no, THE hoof, not mine. So I held out the hoof, focusing on that bit at the front which, yes, I had no idea about because I wasn’t that obsessed with ponies to study them. Anyway, I held it out and rammed my head hard against it.

One bruised forehead and sore hoof later, I rediscovered that I could feel everything this pink pony felt and I probably wasn’t dreaming. But in TV shows they never tried twice, did they? It couldn’t hurt, right?

With a complementary lump now on my forehead I groaned and lie in bed. Now I had a 95% chance of not dreaming, but I knew I wasn’t going to test it for a while now. I felt up at the tender spot on my head, expecting to just make myself hurt even more, but before I even reached where I thought my head would normally be I felt a bump. I gave it a slightly harder jab and felt spikes of pain shoot through it down into my body. I sucked in a gasp of air.

Did I really have a literal lump sticking out of my head?

A knocking noise came from somewhere in the room. I whirled my head around, trying to find the door. The sun, though, decided it should glare in my eyes instead and refused to let me see in the center of my vision for a while.

The knocking came again, followed by a soft squeaking of what I assumed to be the door. “Pinkie?” a female voice asked. “Are you feeling alright?”

I was horrified, happy, and shocked that I could recognize the voice as Mrs. Cake. Or maybe it was because she was referring to me, the only other person in the room, as Pinkie. Presumably, Pinkie Pie. Heh, say that a few times fast! I couldn’t help but snigger a little, and immediately blinked at myself. That giggling… that was exactly like it was from the show. Sure, now it was in perfect surround sound, but it just came from ME.

But I wasn’t really Pinkie Pie! I mean, come on. You don’t wake up one morning and feel, look, or sound like a completely different species, especially not the talking, pink, bouncing type!

Also, Pinkie was a girl. Which I wasn’t. I had been missing something down there, hadn’t I?

Mrs. Cake hadn’t moved from her spot in the doorway, I realized, after she cleared her throat. My vision clear of annoying blurry green circles, I looked over at her. She looked like she did in the show, too; all light blue with a cotton-candy sorta mane and tail. Her cutie mark, the three cupcakes, stood out against the background of her hair. Or fur. I don’t know what it’s called on horses, alright?

“Pinkie,” she repeated, “are you feeling alright? You all here this morning? You were making some odd noises.”

Yes, I was, wasn’t I? I couldn’t really help being shocked over being turned into a pink equine from a cartoon. Sure, some people would undoubtedly handle this better than me, even if Pinkie was… well, my favorite pony.

But Pinkie was the odd pony! So making noises wasn’t too weird for her. I guess gasping and groaning wasn’t exactly the norm for cartoon characters in bed, for a number of reasons.

Mrs. Cake continued to stare over at me. “I’m not going to repeat myself this time. I’ll just bring you to the hospital at this rate.”

Right. Time for excuses. That was the rational thing to do.

“Mrs. Cake I swapped bodies with Pinkie Pie I’m not actually her please tell me you can get me back!”

I stared down at my snout. Muzzle. Whatever it is for horses. Did I really just spew that kinda crap to Pinkie’s boss and expect to blend in?

The mare didn’t care, though, or at least her face didn’t show it. She gave a little smile and shook her head. “Yeah, that’s the Pinkie Pie I know and love. Just wanted to check up on you.” She turned around and ambled away, presumably downstairs, if things were still applying to the show.

So, I had told the truth, no matter how odd it might seem (or really was), and Mrs. Cake dismissed it as a joke. And I looked and had acted like her one employee, the Element of Laughter. I was nowhere closer to discerning why in the however-many-hells I was… geez, it was really hard for my brain to click that fact in.

Right now, I looked, spoke, and by all outside accounts, was Pinkie Pie. Might as well check the other senses, right?

I sighed and tried to climb out of bed, still feeling groggy and now pretty overwhelmed with the most ridiculous thing I could think of. Of course, standing on two legs wasn’t a good idea. That just sent me down onto four quicker, hitting my nose on the hardwood floor.

Down there, apart from getting a little bruised, it caught a whiff of the floor there. It… well, I don’t know what I was really expecting. It sure smelled like wood. Maybe ash wood. When I finally picked up my head and sniffed around again, I could smell something sweet. No, scratch that, a lot of somethings sweet. Things like cake, spice, pumpkin pie, apple, blueberries, blackberries, fresh bread…

Wowee, it smelled good!

Woah, woah, woah, when in the last 10 years have I said “wowee?”

I shrugged that off, dismissing it as some childish glee in being in a cartoon, something I’d imagined since I was a kid. The smell wasn’t just from the baking sweets that undoubtedly came from Sugarcube Corner beneath me; it was coming from me, too.

That was just… weird.

There was really only one thing left to check. So I lifted up that sore hoof that had hit me in the face (it wasn’t so hard to balance on three legs, I found) and licked it.

It had pretty predictable results.

“Tastes like… cotton candy,” I murmured, in that voice that so very clearly would never belong to a growing male. It probably didn’t help that I thought the voice was incredibly cute, and decided to repeat that obvious statement again. And again, louder.

A loud CLANG echoed from downstairs, sounding like it was from some pots or pans, or whatever it is that you use to bake sweets. Whisks, I guess. Anyway, it was really loud and made me jolt up into the air.

“PINKIE!” came a call from a stallion, I supposed, since it sure didn’t sound like the Mrs.

Now that finally caused a click in my brain. “Coming!” I called down, still reveling in my own voice, and tried to rush down the stairs through the open door.

Hooves aren’t that hard to stand on. They’re just like flat platforms or sandals, glued to your feet and hands, and your back doesn’t ache nearly as much to stand on them all at once. The arms don’t feel too different, either. I didn’t know anything about horses’ joints, but they probably weren’t quite elbows or knees.

Standing is one thing. Running, on the other hand – or was it hoof, now? Ugh, stop with the stupid internal dialogues – that was another matter.

I tried to tell my legs to move forward like I normally would, but I hadn’t factored in my arms. Ever stopped up your bike (though someone else could have done it, too) in the front wheel and still tried to pedal it? That was exactly how it felt, and it had the exact same results. Landing on my nose and forehead for the second time, I grunted in an incredibly unmanly sort of way and tried to move forward on just my arms this time. It didn’t look quite as stupid as landing and hitting myself, but it still looked ridiculous, basically looking like a stretching cat.

How would ponies even react to someone acting like a pet? Or… wait, no, Dashie stretched like this sometimes.

I could figure out public appearances after I could walk. How did animals do it? Or how did they do it in the show? Wasn’t it one hoof there, the opposite in the back, then the other in the front… ugh, double the limbs is not easy to get used to!

Turns out that the front-back-opposite thing was right. I managed to get to the stairs… and realized they would be a completely type of movement, yet again. So I tried to put just one hoof down, then the other in the front…

I’d like to say it went well. Instead, I landed on my face for the third time that morning, Mrs. Cake staring down at me with a yellow stallion in a silly hat next to her. I glanced up at her and gave my best nervous grin. “What can I say? I was head over heels to get down here.”

I expected to get at least a groan for that one or maybe a laugh if this really was a cartoon, but they both just stared at me. “Heels?” Mr. Cake asked.

Why was he confused? I didn’t mess the joke up, it was pretty simple… Oh. Hooves, heels. Darn pony terminology.

“Uhh… sorry, must be the head bonk!” I said, widening that fake grin. Which seemed rather infectious, since the Cakes smiled right back at me.

Mrs. Cake’s, though, turned to a frown, and she pointed over at the counter. “Pinkie, the twins are throwing around knives and pans!” she yelled, throwing her head into the motion.

“What?!” I yelled back, more shocked than I was when waking up. Those two were adorable! Why in the world would they do such a dangerous thing? So I got up onto all fours and tried to rush over at the counter in question, briefly realizing that there were no ponies on it.

I was a little interrupted by the flour that covered me from above.

Somehow my entire vision went white for a second, and I could have sworn the flour got straight into my wide eyes. But it didn’t do anything besides that… and wait, why in the world did I just get flour thrown onto me? And how was I so certain what it was right away?

Giggling came from right in front of me, behind the counter. Two little ponies walked out, a tan and yellow one, a boy and girl, respectively. They looked an awful lot like the Cake twins, actually… but they were so much older!

“So much older” is probably around a year or two for children, anyway.

“Hehehehe!” they both continued to giggle, moving closer and circling around me. The flour gig was what made them laugh in the show, wasn’t it? And they were pretty dang adorable right now. Being dyed white for a while suddenly just seemed like a good joke…

So I laughed. And I laughed really hard! I laughed enough that I started to make a bunch of other silly sounds, making some snorting noise, a hiccup, a little squeal, and before I could realize much else I was, quite literally, rolling on the floor laughing!

I didn’t really pay attention to time while I was laughing. I just remember that everyone was laughing for a long time, and felt like there were even more people I wasn’t aware of that were laughing too. However long it was, I stopped and the sun was setting, sending red rays through the window in the kitchen.

“…you’re kidding me!” I shouted to the sky, grumbling some. Sure, I had just passed the entire day away with laughter with friends, but the day was almost over! Soon, I’d have to go back upstairs and rest in bed until the next day, and then do it all again!

No, no, I was forgetting something. Wasn’t something wrong this morning? Like, the reason I got up out of bed to go downstairs and…

Duh; I WAS NOT PINKIE PIE!

But who would I even talk to? Mrs. Cake hadn’t believed me, and given that Pinkie pranked plenty of paranoid ponies with countless ridiculous things, who would believe such a weird thing as becoming a pony from something else? It was magic, maybe, or a curse…

There was a knock at the main door, and I twisted to face it. I fell to the floor again, though, since I had put my hoof to my chin to help out my thinking, and probably ended up bruising that too.

Whoever it was let themselves in and carried in a big purple book – no, it wasn’t purple; there was just some purple aura all over it that looked super funky. The pony behind it was purple, too, with highlights of pink and a big sparkle thingy on her flanks. “Pinkie!” she called out, not seeing me on the floor. “Where were you today? You were supposed to come get this recipe book back from me!”

“Down here, Twi,” I muttered through the tile beneath me.

She glanced down and made a little sniggering noise. “Hi, Pinkie. What was up today? Weren’t you going to help Applejack with some apple-bucking, or something? And Dashie was asking for help with pranks all day!”

“Oh, well, see, I woke up and kinda fell down the stairs and –“ wait, here was the answer! Magic, curse, whatever, Twilight must have known it! I stammered and tried to get to the important part, but just ended up telling the day and then my fandom brain took over. “HOLY CRAP! You’re Twilight Sparkle! Ohmygoshohmygosh it’s Twilight in front of me and I can’t even take a picture oh what people would say!”

The pony arched an eyebrow and leaned her head down to me. “Of course it’s me, Pinkie. And do you mean what ponies would say? I’m not really that famous, you know…”

“NOT THAT FAMOUS?!” I shouted back at her, somehow lifting off the ground. “You are too SO famous! I know tons of folks who would give their liver to just see you once!”

Twilight, demonstrating that extreme intellect, backed up. Intelligently. “Okay, something is wrong. You been sleeping out in the Everfree again?”

“Everfree! Oh man that’s right! You have the Everfree Forest too! Oh think of what I could find in there! If I could just take a picture and show everyone and and and –“

“Okay, Pinkie, something’s up. You’re coming with me,” Twilight stated, and suddenly I was floating in something that felt an awful lot like jello, hovering behind her. There was a purple tint to it and everything that I could see. It must have been…

“Your magic! Holy, oh, oh my gosh you just used your MAGIC on me! Just now! And it feels so funny! Hahahaha!”

Twilight shook her head and started walking out, my little jello puddle around me forcing me out with her. She shut the door with a back hoof and kept walking. I guess I kept talking for that entire time, because whenever we passed a pony they glanced over at me and listened. And when we got to Twilight’s tree-library-house-thing, my throat was kinda starting to hurt. Maybe I needed some water or something. I hadn’t eaten anything all day, had I?

It’s cliché to say, but Twilight’s tree-brary was much larger on the inside. Even with the shelves lining the walls wherever I looked, even with the occasional piece of furniture lying around, and even with the bedroom Twilight must have had upstairs, there was still just so much empty space in the main room.

The books on those countless shelves were odd, too. There were so many differently colored ones, like a giant rainbow spread out through the entire place. I couldn’t read the titles, either, even though the words looked just like English. Following exactly what I expected, the books seemed organized, though I couldn’t tell how.

I suppose Twilight had let me down sometime while I was gaping around the room since she ambled over and pushed my dropped jaw back up. “Okay, Pinkie,” she began, moving to a convenient table and drinking from a cup with magic. “What joke are you trying to pull today?”

“I’m not joking here!” I told her, quite clearly. “I’m not Pinkie Pie and I’ve never met you before or been inside this place! I have no idea what happened!”

Twilight frowned and walked back over, tapping a single hoof against my head. Really, really painfully. “Owww! What was that for?!”

Her frown deepened, and she backed off. She pulled down a book from the top shelf in the room (which was dangerously close to the roof, by the way) with her magic and started paging through it. “That really wasn’t that hard. Looks to me like you’ve just bumped your head hard enough to develop amnesia. I’ll see if I can’t find something to help out.”

I sighed and shook my head at her, which was still kinda painful. “Twilight, I’m serious! I just woke up like this! I only hit it after I realized I wasn’t really Pinkie Pie! I… I guess I body swapped with her while we slept!”

Twilight just kept reading and poured something that was floating down the stairs into a cup that followed after it. “Body swap? How would you even know that kind of magic? If it really was that kind of magic, anyway, you’d know how to switch back into whatever pony you really are.”

“I didn’t do it!” I yelled, which probably seemed a little suspicious. “I don’t know who did it! Me and Pinkie are both victims, okay?”

“Pinkie and I,” she corrected, mixing something that looked like a carrot into the cup.

“Look, right now I d – Wait, did Twilight just correct my grammar? Hahaha, oh this is awesome!” And besides, I didn’t really need to get back yet. No, no, I did, that was the… the Pinkie body speaking! Or just some part of me that didn’t want to go back, which I couldn’t really blame. But she’s the owner of this body, not me!

The purple pony in front of me tilted her head at me. “Okay, maybe you aren’t Pinkie Pie. If I believe you, then who are you? Because everypony in Ponyville knows what the library looks like, and almost all of them know me personally.”

“Oh, I’m…” Wait. Who was I? I was trying to dig into my memory, to pull out everything that I had been worried about that morning. Late, right, late for work. But where did I work? A game store, I thought. Or some fast food joint. Or was it that book store, B and N or something like that… And school. Didn’t I graduate a couple of weeks ago? Or maybe that was someone else. And it was five weeks ago. Maybe.

“Ugh, my aching head!” I blurted out. I tried to rub at my temples, or whatever they were now, with those awkward forehooves. My name… I had a name, I knew, but it stung like hell to try and even think about that. It started with P, I maybe…

“Pinkie?”

“Shhhhhh, I’m trying to remember my name!” P, I, N, what else?

“Pinkie.”

“Gimme a sec!” I almost had it. It was like one of those Pacman ghosts, and I knew it certainly wasn’t Clyde.

“Pinkie!” Twilight snapped.

“Pinkie! That’s it! Wait. No. No, no, I’m not Pinkie Pie, stupid brain! Come on!”

A porcelain cup covered in purple magicy-stuff dropped onto my nose, balancing perfectly. “Just drink that, Pinkie. It should clear up your amnesia.”

Whatever was in that cup smelled pretty good, but I had no idea how to pick something up with two hooves! I fumbled with them and managed to get a sort of pincer hold over the cup. I pulled it down to my weird mouth and drank as much as I could at once.

It smelled good, but the taste left a lot to be desired. I did the reasonable thing and spit most of it out over Twilight and her books. “BLECH! What did you put in that?!”

“Pinkie,” she muttered angrily, “didn’t you Pinkie Promise about not getting food or drink on my books?”

“I keep telling you, I’m not –“ Some weird feeling, like my sinuses suddenly opening up, happened further up in my head, right around my brain. Normally that kind of feeling is relieving, but instead of letting the flow of air through my body, it let memories out, in painful bursts. At first it was just my own memories; meaningless things, like eating a burrito for breakfast, going to buy a book that morning, me glancing over at the painted Warhammer models I’d had from a few years ago at 12:14 the day before, and so on. But then memories that weren’t mine, like running around with ponies, eating tons and tons of cakes and pastries, pranks that Pinkie had pulled on other ponies, joined in too, and if it weren’t for the obviously different body types that the memories came from, I might not have been able to differentiate them. My brain just seemed to consider them both right, even though one was from a human, and the other from Pinkie.

Something stood out from the others, though. I remembered glancing up at the moon last night. But Pinkie had done it too, and she’d seen something else. There was a face in the moon – a horse’s face - and it turned to meet her gaze as she went to sleep.

But wasn’t that something Luna did? As in, Princess Luna, sister to Celestia that had once been evil, exiled to the moon, but decided to be good after… well, something. The memory-tea hadn’t bothered to give me that memory back.

“Well, Pinkie? Got your memory back?” Twilight shook my shoulder a little to take me out from my thoughts.

“T-Twilight! Yes! I mean… no! I’m not really Pinkie, but I do have her memory now! Most of it, anyway!” That probably didn’t help my case, but it was the truth. “Look, I think I know why we swapped bodies. Or minds, whichever it is. Wait, does that change anything? I mean, changing bodies would be changing minds, too, since we just swap the position of them and everything, so that’s probably the same, but if we did them both at the same time then would it be like a double negative or a double positive?”

“PINKIE!” Twilight yelled. “You’re acting normal, that’s for sure, but if you have an idea of what it could be that made you act like you did before, you should probably tell me.”

“Nononono, I’m still the same! But last night, I – Pinkie – looked up at the sky, and she saw a face in it! Like Princess Luna’s! And I think it was grinning!”

Twilight stiffened a little, her mane literally straightening. “Luna? You think she did this? Why in the world…”

Come to think of it, that wouldn’t make too much sense. Luna had become good again, so why would she do something like change the mind of the Element of Laughter? The Elements were the last line of defense for Equestria, and if one suddenly didn’t know how to operate against an overwhelming enemy…

It’d be bad. Was Luna really still a bad guy? Er, girl.

I guess Twilight hit that thought before I had, because she pulled out a gold necklace with a pink balloon at the center of it from a box behind her. “Whoever you are, put this on. Quickly.”

I complied and grabbed it, wrapping a hoof around it, and tried to slip it on. Surprisingly it wasn’t very hard to do, and there was a click behind me. It seemed like everything was right, but Twilight sucked in a breath of air, her eyes widening. “What?” I asked. “What is it? Twilight?”

“Oh, great,” she muttered, and rushed up the stairs.

Well if that wasn’t cryptic and unhelpful I didn’t know what was. “Twilight!” I called up the stairs. “What is it?! Come on, I need to know!”

There was a rustling, an “Ow!” from someone who sounded young, and then the Element of Magic was back down the stairs, now wearing her fancy tiara, the gem at the top glowing brightly. A little purple dragon trailed her, carrying a quill and long piece of parchment. “You really aren’t Pinkie,” she finally said, staring up at the window in the tree-brary. “Your Element isn’t working. So I’m calling for help, right away. Something is up.”

Spike scribbled away at the parchment, while I took to enjoying being correct on something Twilight wasn’t. “If you had just listened to me when I said I wasn’t, your book wouldn’t be soaked and we’d still have a little more time to assemble the Mane 6 before something happened!”

“Mane 6?” Twilight repeated, glancing at me.

“Er… it’s a term for the Elements, back where I’m from. Long story, just go on.”

Her gaze intensified. “Back where you’re from? That tea should have cleared whatever amnesia you had. So, where are you from, and who are you?”

“…long story,” I told her again, trying to change the topic.

“Yes, you said that. But I read a lot of long books. One more story shouldn’t be too scary.” The glow on her tiara brightened further, and that scared me. It made petrifying rainbows that worked on chaotic demigods with the other elements, and I didn’t really want to find out what it could do on its own.

I swallowed my fear and nodded, starting to explain. “See, I’m a human. We walk on two legs, live on the Earth, and have this great thing called the internet. We’ve also got a…” Cartoon wouldn’t explain how I could see the ponies, so I magic-garbled my way through. “…portal sorta thing that lets us see into other worlds. It’s run by these great wizards in giant buildings, and they make money off of selling these scenes from other places to us. As for my name… I don’t think it’s too important. And to be honest, I still can’t remember. I guess you could still call me Pinkie.” I threw in a shrug, trying to seem casual and collected, even though I was pretty scared, being thrown into even more after waking up as a pony.

Twilight either bought it or just let it pass. “Human? Huh. I don’t think I’ve read of those. And you’re not lying about it. You’re not really Pinkie, though, so I’ll stick with calling you ‘Human.’”

“Isn’t that derogatory? If I just called you ‘Pony’ it’d be kinda mean.”

She didn’t listen, still staring out the window.

Yay. My one chance at being someone I wasn’t, not even in a dream, and I shot that chance down. I’d never cosplayed before, and internet personas don’t really count.

She’d said that I was lying, either. And that was true, even if I’d covered up the truth more than told it. What I’d said was really suspicious, though, and she believed me. Could she make her tiara into a lie detector? Or worse yet, read my mind.

I wasn’t sure if I caught a smile on her face as she looked out the window.

Shuddering, I tried to ignore everything that’d built up to this point. Hopefully I’d soon be back in my own bed, doing my own boring schoolwork, and… y’know, that didn’t sound so fun. But I didn’t really deserve to be in a fanciful cartoon wonderland when a character who actually lived there should be instead.

That, and I got the feeling things were starting to boil over.

A sound like a jet engine that was just as loud reverberated through the tree-house. I tried to cover my ears with my hooves, but those things were still so awkward and useless! Thinking back to those safety videos from when I was a kid, I tried to duck down and cover my head with my arms, and it worked much better, though I wasn’t sure how it would protect you from an incoming plane. At least it helped tone down the sound.

The sound seemed to get louder, and I could see a streak of color through the window near the top of the library before it swung open dramatically (and, not to be outdone, just as loudly as that jet engine noise). A cyan mare with a bright, neon-rainbow colored mane and tail dropped down from the opening, air whooshing around her. The window shut back up after that, cutting off the air and noise. “Hey Pinkie, Twi,” she said, nodding to both of us.

I’d never been much for the “cool” factor of TV shows, whether they be cartoons or documentaries. If I really cared about such a thing, I probably wouldn’t have watched what I had, like Scooby Doo or, conveniently, anything dealing with MLP.

But when freaking Rainbow Dash blurs into the room, wind howling like amp feedback for her background music, the definition of cool is rewritten.

“Holy macaroni,” I mouthed in awe. Wait, I hadn’t said that phrase in years. It was just like that… thing back in Sugarcube Corner. Maybe I’d been speaking like Pinkie a couple of times, but at least I hadn’t started thinking completely like her.

Now that was a scary thought, to be stuck like that.

Dashie grinned wildly at me. “What, Pinkie? Never seen the fastest Pegasus in Equestria before?”

“Of course not! Well, sorta. Never in person! Or is it pony, now? The whole pony term thing makes things really confusing…”

She blinked at me and looked to Twilight, who told her to wait for the others. Dash shrugged, sitting back on her haunches and looking around some of the books she was nearest to. Twilight turned to Spike and whispered to him. He began scratching down whatever on the parchment.

Before I could ask Dashie for an autograph, which I figured would be worth a whole lot to the internet, the rest of the Mane 6 began filing through the main door to the library. The first one through was an orange pony, hair and tail done up in a… well, ponytail, and with a rough leather hat shading her head. She looked pretty tough, enough muscle to look more like an actual horse, but I suppose that comes with working on a farm for your life. She didn’t have a bully-like glint to go with the muscles, though – she looked like she was much more of a caring person – no, pony. Applejack was greeted by Twilight, and sat down by her.

The second was not nearly as muscled; she was instead much more slim and pony-like in appearance. Of course, her form was mostly covered in a fancy, and dare I say, beautiful velvet dress that was decorated here and there with shining gems. Her purple mane was done up in a much more complex style than the last pony. It was flowing out in almost every direction, looking like an umbrella. It had to have been gelled, or hair-dried, or however they did it here, since it sure didn’t look natural. But I supposed it had to be fashionable if Rarity was using it. She flashed a quick smile to everypony (had to force myself less and less to remember that, finally) and sat down with Applejack.

I wouldn’t have noticed the last pony if I hadn’t been looking straight at the door.  She was the smallest of the group, even including me, and she kept her head lowered down. She had a soft coat – yeah, coat, that’s what the horse’s fur was called – of light yellow. Her pink mane curved at the top. Really, there wasn’t much more than that. She was so nondescript. Though I suppose she looked pretty kind, in addition to her shyness. Trotting along quietly, she took a spot next to Rainbow Dash.

“Well, we’re all here,” Dash said once Fluttershy had sat down. Obviously the show captured her lack of patience pretty well. “What’s up now, Twilight?”

Twilight took off her tiara and looked around the room. “Well, if you’ll notice, Pinkie didn’t leap around the room in greeting,” she said.

“Yeah, and Ah also noticed she nevah showed up ta help me with some apple-buckin’,” AJ mumbled.

“What, are we really meeting because Pinkie forgot to wake up and help out today?” Dash asked. “You can’t be serious. I wanted to get in some more cloud busting for tomorrow!”

I didn’t really know if I should speak up, what with me soon to be the center of attention, but I did anyway. “It’s a great deal more serious than that,” I told them. “Twilight, I think you’d explain it better. And it probably wouldn’t sound so suspicious.”

Everypony’s gaze turned to me, all of their eyes wide.

“Since when does Pinkie speak like that?” Rarity asked.

“She doesn’t,” Twilight explained. “I’m not sure how or why, but Pinkie isn’t in her body right now. Somepony else is right there, in her place.”

“We say someone, back where I’m from,” I interrupted.

“Yes, and whoever it is, they’re no pony,” she went on. “She said she’s a human, whatever that is. They stand on two legs, and can somehow see us from whatever universe they live in.”

“Also, I’m… not a girl,” I mumbled.

Everypony did a double take on that, especially Twilight.

“Woah, you never mentioned that! How do you even go from being a stallion to being in a mare’s body?” the unicorn asked.

“Actually, it happens back where I’m from. But they’re not stallions or mares, just boys or girls. …but I don’t think my world is too important right now. I think you probably want Pinkie back.”

“Well of course we do!” Fluttershy piped up quietly. “I mean, not to forget about you or anything, but she is awfully funny. Not that you’re not. I’m sorry, am I being rude?”

I couldn’t help but smile at that. Ugh, why did I get stuck in such a bad situation in such a nice place? “No, no, you’re fine,” I said. “I understand. Not that I don’t like it here, it’s just…”

“You don’t wear dresses or anything close to what fine, upstanding mares wear?” Rarity suggested.

“Sure, that.”

Twilight spoke up again. “We do want Pinkie back, and it’s probably best if you get back home, sir. So I’m going to read up on everything I’ve got, and Spike just wrote up a letter to send to Celestia. If it gets there soon, everything could be solved quickly and peacefully.”

“It wouldn’t be peaceful otherwise?” Fluttershy asked.

“No, I just don’t want something bad to happen,” the purple pony said. “Right now, the Element of Laughter isn’t working. Presuming something big and bad did happen, we wouldn’t be able to pull off quite the same level of effectiveness.”

“Ya mean we’re a little lost without our pocketful o’ sunshine?” AJ chimed in.

Twilight nodded and jabbed at Spike with an elbow. He stumbled, but rolled up the paper he was scribbling on and huffed fire onto it, the scraps burning, flying upwards, and forcing the window near the top of the treehouse open. They flew out into the dusk.

Dashie watched them fly out and stared around. “So… what, that’s it? Pinkie got weirder, and you called us all together. And we can handle anything that wants to try and takes us on! Can we just go now?”

A yawn came from Rarity. “Yes, I’d like to leave and get some beauty sleep.”

Applejack followed it with a shrug. “Early ta bed, early ta rise,” she agreed.

Twilight was already trotting up the stairs. “Meeting adjourned. Human, if you’d stay here for a couple of nights so I could study up on whatever your background is and try and trace the body-swap magic, I’d appreciate it.”

Everypony else was filtering out through the main door, and I tried to follow Twilight, but tumbled around on my hooves. “S-sure, though I really think you should get a name other than ‘human’ for me,” I said while I struggled with the stairs. Spike, who was still behind me, tried to hide a couple of giggles as I walked up. “Hey, you ever tried walking on all fours before?”

“Once or twice,” he said. “I didn’t do quite so badly, though.”

“Hah. Well I never have, and I don’t have a choice in the – OOF!” The step above me seemed to rise to greet my face and smacked it plenty hard, sending me sprawling out. Spike snickered again and walked on top of me to get up the stairs.

Rubbing at my chin, I somehow managed to get back up and walked extremely carefully up into the bedroom of the library. Twilight already had a stack of books on her oak desk, while Spike was walking around and gathering more parchment, quills, and ink. “So what’re you going to try, Twilight? Even with that anti-amnesia tea, I still don’t remember anything specifically about swapping bodies. Just Luna’s face on the moon, and not even I saw that.”

She thumbed through the pages of a crimson book with her magic, the paper literally flowing along. “Well, first I thought we’ll try and search for traces of magic residue on Pinkie’s body, and then your mind. Hopefully this spell here should take out your mind into a sort of separate entity, though I’ve never tried it before. You’ll probably feel a sort of numbness all over if it does work, and… probably the same if it doesn’t, but I can fix that. I should be able to. If we can find some magic traces, I can follow them back to their original caster. With that, we’ll just go to them and ask them why they did it, and then get them to reverse it. And if we can’t find some residue, maybe we’ll try some meditation, and if that doesn’t help…”

She kept going on like that for a while. I was more focused on looking out the window, though, and saw that the moon was out again. There was an odd shadow on it again, like… that wasn’t a face, was it? It was grinning, it looked like, and –

It shot out of the moon, flying down and gaining a body behind it as it went. The body was equine, definitely, and dark as the night behind it. Those eyes, though, were glowing violet in a discomforting way. Those scraps of burning paper seemed to materialize beneath the horse, and she just flew into them.

Hovering in mid-air, whoever it was ripped the scraps to pieces and flew straight to the window I was looking out of, still grinning.

“Uh, Twilight, Nightmare Moon doesn’t grab your letters and tear them up before paying you a visit, does she?” I asked nervously, tapping my front hooves together.

“Nightmare Moon? I think you mean Princess Luna. She hasn’t been like that since –“

CRASH

Glass shards scattered over the room, some shredding books on the desk or shelves, along with the parchment Spike had gathered. Wind rushed in and blew the shards around, flying straight to Luna and creating a tornado around her. Her mane and tail of starry sky spun with the shards while her eyes glowed around the room.

Then she politely reformed the window behind her with her own magic, no cracks or anything appearing.

“GAH!” I said in delayed surprise.

Twilight’s books and Spike’s parchments had somehow repaired, too. Twilight looked up and locked eyes with Luna. “I’ve heard of dramatic entrances, but this is a little ridiculous,” she mumbled.

Despite my reaction, everyone (is it said like that if there’s a non-pony involved?) seemed to be perfectly calm. Luna even chuckled some. “Sorry, but I couldn’t help but see your letter to Celestia. I figured I’d save you a little bit of time by explaining what I did to your friend.”

Twilight’s book closed, but it seemed more like a slam to me. “You’re behind this?”

“I am indeed,” Luna said, looking to me specifically. I swallowed. “You see, I talked with Pinkie the past few days. She’s always up for new experiences, as I’m sure you know.” Twilight nodded, and the Princess went on. “I found this young human in his own world, watching us once and wishing constantly that he could be here in Equestria. So I asked Pinkamina if she wouldn’t mind swapping with him, and she agreed.”

“You mean… just like that?” I asked. And I’d only wished that a couple of times. Way to embarrass me in front of potential friends.

Luna murmured agreement. “And she agreed to it permanently.”

“Just like that?” Twilight repeated. “She never even told us!”

“Indeed. I know it may come as a shock, but she offered her condolences and said she would pay a visit now and then. Just like the human may do with his own world.”

Woah. It might not be so bad, then. Equestria couldn’t be a better place, really, and if I could still visit my friends and family every so often, I shouldn’t lose myself in the whole pony thing.

“But the elements aren’t working,” Twilight said. “What happens if someone or something attacks while we’re not ready? Celestia is probably busy, and we can’t always handle what attacks us, so…”

Luna grinned at that. “I wouldn’t have swapped these two if I didn’t believe the human could become the Element of Laughter. You’ll just have to give him some time.”

Twilight nodded very slowly. “I… suppose I can see your reasoning. It’s just so sudden. But thank you for explaining, Princess Luna.”

“Of course. But now I must attend to my duties. Just take care of your new friend, will you?” Luna winked to Twilight.

“Y-yes!” she blurted. “I’ll get right on it!”

The Princess nodded, this time just opening the window carefully, and flew up. She kept approaching the moon, and somehow her form melted away into the shadows upon it. It felt like a vacuum in the room had suddenly just popped out, though it could have just been the fact that I was holding my breath for most of Luna talking.

Twilight turned to me, now smiling. “Well, I suppose there’s no need for magic tonight, with what Luna just told us. And no need for a letter yet, either. Maybe you could write it after you’ve learned something about friendship?”

“H-holy crap, yes!” I shouted, louder than I should have. “Luna seemed like she was in a hurry, though.”

“Princess duties?” Twilight suggested. I shrugged.

Well, that morning had definitely been the most worrisome thing I’ve ever experienced. Yet, here I was, apparently going to be Pinkie Pie and yet still get to go back to my own friends and family from being a human sometimes. Pinkie was probably running my life better than I was.

I really wasn’t so sure it was that easy, but everyone else seemed happy about it…

Eh, I could lose myself for a little.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:28:45 PM by Medik Jackal »

Shifting Sands

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:25:41 PM
The sun was burning up high in the sky by the time I had woken up next morning. It wasn’t nearly as burning, and I wasn’t quite as shocked at still being Pinkie Pie, though the whole thing was still really odd. Luna’s explanation rung out in my head from last night, along with everything Twilight had been asking me about last night. Just a bunch of simple questions asking me about where I was from, who I had been around, what I’d done back there… She’d also asked if we had libraries back there, and so I tried to name as many as I could, including the Library of Congress, which she seemed pretty interested in.

In return, I asked her about Ponyville, what I was supposed to do every day, and the sort of stuff that went on from day to day. She told me about the market, since that was a pretty important part of life, being the equivalent of a grocery store. I learned some more about Canterlot, too; things like how the “smaller courts” that handled minor offenses in the city worked, and the fashion at the time. And no, I still didn’t understand any of it.

She’d been calling me Pinkie, too. Part of me felt that was an improvement from “human,” but another part still wondered about whether I should really be called that.

Voices were coming from downstairs, though one of them was way quieter than the other. I rolled onto my side and stood up near the stairs.

“…something weird from the forest,” the quiet voice was saying. It sounded like it might have been Fluttershy’s.

The other one must have been Twilight. “Yeah, but ‘something weird’ from the Everfree doesn’t really explain it. There was a dragon in a clown outfit waking up the whole of Ponyville last week when it found some of Pinkie’s party stuff.”

“I know,” Fluttershy said, “but the animals thought it was a big deal. Otherwise they wouldn’t have told me. Um, speaking of Pinkie, what’s up with?...”

The voices grew more hushed and I couldn’t listen in on them unless I went downstairs. It probably wasn’t such a good idea to interrupt their business, even if it was business about me. I stood up and took another look around Twilight/Spike’s room. The books looked interesting enough. Maybe I could learn some magic.

I turned my head and tried to grab a green-bound book out of the shelf with my teeth. I didn’t taste anything, gratefully. Mildew or dust wouldn’t have helped any. I dropped it onto the ground and pushed it open to the front page. “Magical Mythology,” it read, though it was clearly in a language other than English. Reading it was just like reading in Cyrillic, with everything in a different script. The only difference being that I could understand it, probably from Pinkie’s memory. It started with a whole explanation that “anything in these pages could very possibly be real.” And in this type of world, it probably was. Hey, maybe they had something on humans.

Before I could get to the table of contents, hooves rang out on the steps. “Morning, Pinkie,” Twilight said as she hit the top step. “Have a good sleep?”

“Long one,” I told her, “which is fine by me. Did I hear right down there? That something is acting up in the Everfree?”

She rolled her eyes. “I think one of Fluttershy’s little bunnies got scared by something last night and fed her a false alarm. Now she wants us to check it out, but I don’t want to go out there and be unprepared. I’m going to read up on a couple of spells and visit Zecora tonight.”

I nodded and held my tongue on asking what the other ponies thought of me. “You think I can help with anything? I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with my normal job, anyway.”

The Unicorn bit her lip, which didn’t look that weird. I’d have to learn what was normal or abnormal at some point for ponies to do. “You could help me get some books gathered. Applejack might be able to use some help, too. Could you get me ‘Tracking Spells’ and ‘Sense-Enhancing for Dummies?’”

“Sure!” Now I was plenty glad that the books were organized so well. All I had to do was squint to catch the first letter of the books until I got to the correct one, and then just check down the titles. I grabbed them both and brought them to Twilight, one at a time. She was already piling up herbs and paper, and smiled at the books, nodding in thanks.

“If that’s all, then I guess I should go help Applejack.” She didn’t look up from her books, so I shrugged some and trotted down the stairs and outside. Sun still high in the sky, I passed some other ponies on the way around town. They were all engrossed in their activities, whether they were buying food, chatting with each other, or working. None of them seemed to notice anything about me, even though yesterday Twilight had been flying me around. A brownish one with an hourglass for his cutie mark nodded to me and smiled. I did the proper thing and smiled back, but it felt like it was way too wide for my face. His own smile widened and he kept going by.

Wait. That was Doctor Whooves back there. I mean, I never understood Whovians or the pony himself, but that name was like ten times better than Time Turner, and maybe I could figure out what made him or that other show seem so cool! And I just made him smile, didn’t I? I had super-smiling powers! I could get to know everypony and re-throw parties for them!

I knocked at my head, feeling like there was water clogged in it. Something was weird up there, but I couldn’t quite figure out what. I guess I hadn’t made enough ponies smile yet! Helping Applejack with some work was probably a good enough way to start.

Thinking so much made the time pass really quickly, and I was at the Apple’s before I knew it. Funny thing, though, since I couldn’t quite remember the path away or to the farm. So how did I get here?

I smacked at my head again, everything feeling way too muddy. My stomach was aching, which didn’t help. Applejack was ahead of me, I thought, bucking some trees. The apples fell into the bucket near the tree with thuds. Thud, thud, thud… My stomach followed that rhythm and bobbed in my body painfully.

AJ looked at me for a second, I think. She looked worried for some reason, and rushed to me.

The ground felt pretty good on my side, and the sun couldn’t wake me from sleeping for another few hours.

God, did my head ache when I woke up. I sat up and rubbed at my head, groaning some. Moving my fingers and thumb to rub at my eyes, I –

Fingers and a thumb. A normal hand.

“Oh, good, it was just a dream,” I mumbled. The ground around me was awfully bright, though. And I didn’t remember sleeping in a meadow. “Don’t tell me I started taking LSD without realizing it…”

“LSD?” a cheery voice called out.

“You know, lat… I don’t know. Little space drugs. It makes you hallucinate or something, like… oh, I’m hearing voices.” I sighed and looked behind me, expecting nothing there.

Someone really was behind me, though. And not someone; it was somepony. A pink one, with a wildly curling mane and tail, three balloons on both of her flanks, with incredibly bright and happy blue eyes was grinning at me.

“Ow,” I told her intelligently. Pinching didn’t help this time, either.

“Oh, this really is a dream, silly!” Pinkie Pie, now her actual self, responded. “See, I’m not allowed to tell you a lot ‘cuz of all these weird restrictions that you’d think I could break. Like, continuity or something. Magic! We can ask Twilight later! But right now I only get to tell you a couple of things!”

I blinked slowly and stared at her. “Okay, dream-Pinkie. I’m not exactly sure what you’re going on about, and I’m feeling really sore, but I’m listening.”

“Great!” She beamed wide at me. It was pretty infectious, enough so that I smirked even with how I was feeling. “Okay, let me think of what I was supposed to tell you. She said I gotta get the point across without telling the whole idea because otherwise it’d be pointless and then nothing good would happen, but… oh, right! Okay! So you’re me, right?” I nodded blankly. “Now, think of everything I’d do. Remember it! There’s gonna be a big deal soon, and you need to conquer it! It’ll all be up to you!”

“I’m, uh, not so sure putting everything on me would be a good idea. After all, I’m not really supposed to be in your body, and I don’t think I could accomplish anything big in this one, either.”

She giggle-snorted and I blinked at her in confusion. “Silly! It doesn’t have to do with your body! It has to do with the heart!”

Ugh, more cryptic crap to hurt my head. I rubbed at it again, and found her trotting over. She leaned her head down and nosed at me.

“…uh?”

“What? I thought I’d try to help! And we’ll get to know each other soon, okay?” Pinkie beamed even brighter, reflecting the sun on her teeth.

“I guess we will if we can meet up with each other, even though you’d be in my body,” I said. My head did hurt a little less since she had nosed me. Though that felt a little awkward with her touching me, especially in my dreams. I really wasn’t that much of a creep…

“B – oh, silly me, can’t say! Okay, bye!” She spun around and bounded away on the grass, her tail bouncing with her. “Just remember what Element of Harmony I am!”

Damn stupid “can’t tell you that” trope. How was anyone supposed to know what was meant by cryptic phrases, much less myself. And why was I the one who was going to be responsible for trumping whatever came up? Fighting never was my strong suit, even if I was big enough to scare off most people.

And if I was Pinkie Pie, I somehow doubted there was anything intimidating about her form. Fighting usually came down to brawn and brains, neither of which I think I had as a pony.

I couldn’t stop a yawn. Sleep might help sort everything out, even if this was all in a dream. But what really was a dream at this point?

I leaned back on the grass, it feeling soft and cool. Just like me to sleep through the hard parts and hope they pass away.

You’d think that I’d learn that they never pass after all the times I’ve tried.

Waking up, I thought I’d get a couple of seconds to regain my bearings before being massively confused again.

No such luck.

Things were much louder when I awoke, for one. It sounded like there were a hundred different voices, though they were distant. Stomps and clattering noises were nearer. I wasn’t in that dreamy (and much softer) meadow. My back felt raised on something, but it might have just been hard wood, judging from seeing the tree-brary’s roof above me. More importantly, I was back in Pinkie’s body, not mine.

Waking up is so not worth it.

My ears ringing, I looked around the room. Or at least tried to. My neck was locked in place, and all I did was wiggle my body somewhat.

“Oh thank goodness,” a feminine voice said. It sounded like Rarity. When she spoke, something like a weight felt lifted from my head. I caught a glimpse of her hoof moving back up.

“I told you not to touch her head,” another voice said, and a rainbow blurred into sight above me. RD, then. “She’s all wonky up there! Something’s still not right with her.”

“Ya’ll don’t know nothin’ ‘bout healin’ somepony.” Applejack hit my head with a rock, or at least it felt like it. Her head popped into vision and she winced. “Then again, neither do Ah.”

I mumbled to them that I was fine, just aching and could use some ibuprofen, but my mouth felt chock-full of peanut butter. “Mng. Nnnm.”

“You’re quite right,” Rarity said, and looked over me, too. “I think we should go get Twilight, or somepony downstairs. Surely they’d do a better job.”

“Ya think?”

“Finally!” Dashie shouted. “Nothing’s going on there, and two of us are out there fighting. Rarity, grab the rest of the Elements, and we’ll go kick some Changeling tail!”

Fighting? Changelings?

“Now wait just an apple-buckin’ second,” AJ said, “what about non-Pinkie here? If we’re gonna be helpin’ Twi, even if we bring her back, we need somepony lookin’ out for this guy.”

A male voice spoke up. “I can handle it. She probably just needs rest.”

“Well… sure, Ah guess.” Applejack backed away, and there was more clattering and shuffling. RD flew out of sight, too, but came back wearing a sort of lightning-bolt necklace. “Just don’t let ‘er outta here. Ya hear?”

Spike the dragon hopped next to my side. “I got it. She – or he – won’t get past me.”

Hoofsteps echoed out, and a blur of color left the room. A distant door creaked open and shut. The voices from somewhere else, which I could pick out as talking about some big fight now, started to quiet down.

Minutes passed uneventfully. I think I was just too tired to realize that Spike was staring at me thoughtfully the entire time. “…hm?” I managed to ask a while later.

He blinked at me and backed up. “Oh, you’re awake.”

“’Course I’m awake.” I rolled onto my sore side and used the momentum to carry me onto my front. Was Pinkie’s warning applying to right now? Hopefully not, with how I was feeling. But they had been speaking about… “Changelings? Is that what the girls were talking about?”

“Yeah.” I stood shakily on all four legs and turned to face him. As he spoke, a frown grew on his face. “Fluttershy was out looking for some missing animals. Something took her, though. That ‘something’ was Chrysalis, queen of…”

“…of the Changelings, right,” I finished. “But then where’s Twilight?”

He quirked a non-existent eyebrow at me. “I guess you just happen to know about Chrysalis, then.”

I sighed and shook my head. “I don’t have time for this. The portal thing that we have where I’m from showed me her once or twice. Twilight even told me about her when I was staying over here. I need to know where she is so I can help!”

He moved in front of the doorway and glowered, which really only made him look cute. “No way. You’re supposed to stay and rest. You’re no Pinkie Pie, so I don’t think you could help in the slightest.”

To a lesser person, that might have hurt a little. To me, it made me cringe. “Y-yes, I’m aware of that, too. But aren’t six ponies better than five?”

Spike just kept glowering at me.

I pushed at him and returned the death stare. “At least go out there yourself, then. You saved the Crystal Empire, yeah?”

He looked up and out the window. “Sure. But… this isn’t just saving a crystal heart. This is saving the town and Twilight. I don’t think I could do that…”

“Then tell me what happened. How did Twilight disappear?”

“She didn’t disappear. She’s a little mad at Chrysalis for what happened at the Royal Wedding a year ago. Probably more than a little mad, actually. But she went out there to try and get Fluttershy back. I just hope that she’s –“

Lightning flashed from the window, thunder boomed, and a cackle like locust buzzing around in heat echoed around the treehouse. Every voice I could hear hushed completely.

“If that’s not the most stereotypical villainous thing ever,” I grumbled, trying to push by Spike, “then I don’t know what is.”

“H-hey! You’re not supposed to go out there!”

I tried to push the dragonling out of the way, but he stretched with the push. “I’m one of the Mane – uh, Elements of Harmony. What are they going to do without somepony to be the Laughter one?”

He shifted on the stairs. They creaked uneasily. “It doesn’t work so well, true…”

“Good, you see my point.” I kept pushing at him. “You don’t want something bad to happen to them, and neither do I.”

He looked up at me again and swallowed. “You don’t know what the Changelings do, do you?”

“Sure I do.” I glanced over his small shoulder and finally found the source of all the voices; dozens of ponies were downstairs, in the main room. The Cakes, Bon-Bon, Lyra, and other Ponyville-ians were cramped into the room, staring out the windows. A couple saw me and flashed a nervous smile, even with paranoia present in their eyes.

I looked back at Spike. “They capture ponies, put them in pods, and copy what they look like. They feed off of love from other ponies.”

“That’s half of it,” he said quietly. “Changelings also brainwash the pony if they’re held long enough. They have to bow to Chrysalis and do whatever she says. If they’ve got even more time… they turn them into a Changeling, too.”

…oh. That complicated things somewhat. Being brainwashed and listening to Chrysalis was not high on my priorities list. Same went for getting holes cut into my limbs and restyling to black.

I wasn’t sure why, but Giggle at the Ghosties popped into my head. I hummed it for a second and smiled at Spike before hopping clear over him. “More reason to help them out more quickly!” I yelled back at him while I maneuvered between groups of ponies.

“Wait!” he called one more time as I pushed my way out the door.

The door slammed behind me, and a wave of rain met my face. I blinked through it, and found that first of all my mane was still perfectly curly. Go figure. Second, loads of dark clouds filled the sky. Little pits of rain hit the cobble.

I’d loved storms before. Rain smacking me in the face or messing up my hair had never bothered me. Thunder never kept me awake during a long night. If anything, it really helped me sleep. Things seemed more calm and relaxed than upset.

Wish I had still been feeling like that. The storm felt a lot more foreboding than relaxing this time. It didn’t seem so “natural,” even though I didn’t think Chrysalis had power over the weather.

I really was getting into something I had no idea about. Spike had just told me more about the Changelings than I’d already known, and it scared me. What good would I be as someone that I could barely walk as? And Chrysalis had enough power to bring Celestia down to her knees. That was practically bringing a god down.

My muscles felt like rusty springs, and my body still ached all over. Staying inside the tree with the rest of the ponies suddenly didn’t seem like such a bad idea. Maybe the other Elements could just handle it on their own.

A loud and pained scream echoed around me. Lightning cracked, and the flash of light showed me a blurry image of a rainbow falling.

“Me and my mouth,” I mumbled, shaking. Some little voice piped in at that. Sure, you might be weak. Sure, you might be lost. But does Chrysalis know you?

No, she didn’t. And I was still a warm body. I could get in the way of the Changelings.

Another scream went out and AJ’s hat flew up into the air. Lightning hit it.

Hurry up!

I ran forward to where the hat had been, wind howling. The market looked burnt up as I passed; the lightning must have hit a stall or two. The cobble hurt some on my hooves as I kept running, and running, and running.

“Hah, and what are you going to do? Make me a dress? Complain to me?”

That must have been Chrysalis, judging by the fact that her voice grated like bugs in a fryer. I kept running after it, breathing hard.

“Oh, I know more than enough to take you down a couple of notches,” Rarity said. I spun around a corner in time to see her yell and leap in the air toward Chrysalis, one hoof forward in something like a karate chop.

I would have cheered her on, but something that looked greasy and very green wrapped tight around her. It slowed her down and moved her aside of the Queen Changeling. The Unicorn landed in a tangle of green magic next to the four other ponies, all of them looking exhausted, sickly, and equally stuck.

Chrysalis lifted a hoof up and blew dust off it. “That’s anyone important out of the way. Ponyville is doomed, then. Can’t believe it was so easy after all of the trouble in Canterlot.”

I swallowed and stepped forward. “You’re not d-done,” I said. I stumbled on the stone. “You’ve still got one more to lose to.”

The Changeling, along with the five ponies behind her, all turned and stared at me. “…you’re joking,” Chrysalis said, grinning like mad. “This is a joke, right?”

“Princess Luna trusted me enough to handle this. I can do it,” I mumbled. I kept walking forward, my head down. “I can do it.”

That set her off. She burst out laughing and reared back. “Gahahahaha! You honestly believed that? You thought that Luna would bother to visit such pitiful little ponies? That disguise was so terrible. I even rushed away afterwards. Such a pity,” she said, turning to Twilight. “This one used to be so good at identifying my fakes.” Her voice slipped into something more caring, though it was dripping with sarcasm. Twilight cringed in the magic around her.

“But… Luna had to have switched me and Pinkie. She’s the only one who could manage that.” I started to back up.

“Oh, please. I’m plenty powerful with magic.” Her face melded around and shaped exactly into Luna’s before it change back. “She was pitiful. Barely put up a fight.”

If Luna hadn’t done it because she thought I was competent enough, then…

“I managed to find some old, dark magic in Canterlot’s libraries before I left,” Chrysalis went on. “It tied magic between planes. One of them was for swapping bodies. Figuring that my plan might fail…”

“It did!” Dashie shouted behind her, struggling in the magic. It moved up and tied around her mouth.

“…I took it along and planned for another attack. The only powerful love here in Ponyville was between your little group of friends. What’s more is that you were all the embodiments of the Elements of Harmony. I wanted all of you other ponies to suffer this experience. The pink one didn’t mean anything to me, so I threw her out for some random thing in another plane.”

“You mean…”

Chrysalis shook a hoof. “I mean that you’re here for your uselessness, yes. Now be a dear and line up with the other Elements. You’re out of your league.”

So I really wasn’t here for a good reason. It was just the opposite. Because of dumb luck, I’d just botched the chances of Ponyville surviving this.

I sighed and started walking forward. I wasn’t cut out for it. Someone bigger and better than me could handle it.

No!

Chrysalis clapped her hooves together. “Excellent. I really did strike the jackpot.” That same nasty magic slithered around me and tightened hard enough that I choked. I struggled, though it didn’t help. It pulled me to her face, where she locked wide eyes with me.

I swallowed again and blinked. “H-hey, um. I think I changed my mind. Could I put up a fight now?”

She blinked back at me. “I don’t think so. Your mind and soul are rather weak, though. You’d make a good message against the others, when they see their precious laughter taken from them.”

I heard the others suck in a breath. “What’s that supposed to –“ My throat constricted and I choked again, looking down. The green slime around me was pulsing and disappearing. No, it was still there. It was just moving inside of me. Through my pores, through my ears, and – ugh, my mouth. I kept gagging uselessly. It was getting really hard to see. Breathing was beyond me, too.

My eyes drifted around over Chrysalis’ shoulder. All the other girls were staring up at me. They all began to struggle, trying to get out of their bonds.

A numbing feeling shook me out of looking at them. My back left leg was shaking without my telling it to, and I glanced at it. The magic around there was moving away, and it revealed…

A black leg. Black, full of holes, and shinier than before, it kept moving as the slime crawled up.

I kept gagging until my throat finally cleared. “I-isn’t this a little extreme? Maybe a little too fast? I mean, you hardly know me! I could be a good friend of yours!”

Chrysalis tilted her head. “Hardly. I have no need for friends when I can have subjects.”

“But you need more time to do this! What’s the point if you don’t rub it in their faces?” I tried to regain control of my leg, but that numbing feeling spread farther and farther up until I couldn’t feel anything near it. It stayed still, now.

She smiled and glanced behind her. “Oh, I think I’m rubbing it in well enough. And I am the Queen. I have plenty of power. There’s no need to wait if I can force it along.”

Okay, okay, think fast. “Uh… but how do you know I won’t just be a detriment? Would you really want a useless subject?”

“There are plenty of uses for… less than desirable subjects.” Chrysalis looked back to me, and her stare made my leg bend in. My head was starting to nod down, and I dearly hoped that magic wasn’t in my head yet. “They can stand around the hives to guard the pods. They can act as infantry.” She made a hissing noise. “They also make fine mulch.”

The slime was gathering around my arms, numbing them, too. I looked away and kept thinking, trying to come up with something.

What would Pinkie do?

I grinned and turned back to Chrysalis. “Look, Cheese-legs, I don’t like you, and I doubt that you like me very much. But I don’t think you got the right person to put in this pony.”

Her wide smile melted into a frown. “What, exactly, did you call me?”

“Cheese-legs,” I repeated, “though I doubt they taste that good. I mean, have you ever tried to eat someone else’s mane? I think only mine tastes like it looks like, and that’s cotton candy, and boy, it tastes real good! Mind if I give you a little nibble?”

“I am the Queen Changeling, soon-to-be Queen of Equestria. I am the one true ruler of the land. And you will bow to me, whether it be now or after my magic is finished sorting you around.”

I kept smiling. “You know, that’s nice, but I don’t think that’s what you are right now. You just seem like a buggy piece of cheese to me. Oh, that’s probably why you don’t taste good! You must be rotten and infested with maggots! And who’d want to bow to that? Even if you bathed and fixed yourself up, you’re just a big old mean buggy thing, and that would make a pretty bad ruler.”

Chrysalis’ eye twitched. And then again. “You will stop addressing me as a dairy product and begin calling me your QUEEN!”

That last word hurt my head and sent that numbness out again. I shook my head, trying to get it out. My mane was falling apart, at least what I could see of it. It was falling apart like molting skin on a snake. “Nah, I like that name for you. Why don’t you, huh? It’s flattering! Maybe you do taste good! Did you ever let your subjects taste your legs?”

“You will STOP!” she screamed. My mouth disconnected from my brain for a second. My muzzle was starting to look black. “Bow to your Queen!” I dimly realized my other legs were feeling numb, and bending in.

I moved with the force and grunted. Chrysalis moved her horn around through an invisible weave. My back was aching more than normal, something trying to push out of it. “Finally. Mine,” she muttered.

My head bowed, and I stared down at the ground. It got boring, so I traced some of the stones in the path. “…w-what is it you want, Queen?” Ugh, that wasn’t my voice. I had to do something about that.

“I want you to stay bowed and help me Change the others,” Chrysalis commanded.

The little voice that had been telling me what to do before was getting really quiet. Chrysalis just sounded a lot louder now, even more correct.

I didn’t need the little voice to tell me what I had to do now, though.

Chrysalis’ magic was off of me entirely, now. She kept her eyes locked on me. I could still feel part of my right arm, though, and that should have been plenty good enough. “I… will… not,” I managed to say.

The Changeling leaned in and stared at me. “You will.”

“You’re right,” I mumbled, wiggling my arm. “I will.”

She kept looking me over and leaned in further.

Good enough.

I shook my right arm, moved it to the side, and pulled it back, pink fire gathering around it.

“What in the…” everyone besides Dashie was saying.

“PONY… PUNCH!” I screamed and threw my hoof forward.

It smacked in to Chrysalis’ face with a loud crunch; it was something between a bug under a shoe and a few bones breaking. She went flying backwards between the other tied-up ponies. Her wings kicked back against the force and sent her back. She changed her form into a dive.

Still smiling and feeling better than ever, I pulled back my right arm again. She tried to move to the side to dodge a forward punch.

“PONYRUKEN!” I yelled and threw my hoof up and to the side, pink fire around it again.

That same crunch went out again as the Changeling shot upward. I think it hit her in the horn, because a chip of that nasty looking thing collapsed next to me. Her wings didn’t help her that time – she kept flying up, up, and away.

“Well, that’s… satisfying,” I said, panting. “Hah. Hah. Hah…”

As if I hadn’t passed out enough already, I fell back and hit my head on the stone. I think I saw Twilight and Fluttershy trotting over through the rain in my eyes before I napped again.

I still hadn’t changed my mind on waking up being a terrible thing when I did it again. At least I wasn’t in pain this time.

In fact, everything seemed to feel pretty numb, though it was way better than aching.

Along with that, my body was back to being human, which was fine by me. That whole Changeling thing was not feeling good at all. I was looking forward to waking up in my bed with that, and hoping everything really had been a dream after all.

Pinkie was staring over my face. She’s really good at defying or crushing expectations.

I was back in the meadow-dream place from earlier I found, sitting up. Pinkie stepped back to give me some space (which was pretty shocking). She was beaming, just like last time, and yelled “You did it!” right away.

Done it? Right, I had kicked Chrysalis back with the most cliché and rule of funny things I could think of. And… they’d worked. The other ponies got free after I hit Chrysalis, it looked like, so things might have worked out even better than I’d realized.

At what cost?

Pinkie looked fine, and definitely not like a Changeling. She looked even happier than before, if such a thing were possible. Good. I hadn’t changed anyone else because of the poor circumstances.

That left me. I looked down again, expecting a sudden change from being human. Pinkie looked too, but I doubted that she didn’t already know everything about the whole case, judging from the cryptic crap from earlier.

Something was different that I hadn’t noticed before. My body was… ghostly. Ethereal, faded, whatever you’d use to describe a ghost in the movies. I flexed my fingers, and felt absolutely nothing aside from the constant numbness. And that scared me.

“Pinkie,” I mumbled, shaking a little, “what. The Hell. Happened?”

She kept beaming at my trembling form. “Like I said, you did it! You channeled me and Laughter! And you seriously whooped Chrysalis out of the town!”

“Not that. I mean, what about me?” I spat, more angrily than I wanted.

Her smile faded, and I felt even guiltier. “You’re, um. Um.” She cringed and looked away. “Look, you remember how Chrysalis was changing us around, making us all buggy?”

I certainly remembered that. The sensation accompanying that memory was painful and crushing, like carrying a twenty ton weight. On my brain. “Right.”

She looked back, smiling lightly. “The good news is that it wasn’t permanent at all. Twilight, Celestia, and Zecora all managed to fix up our body! I felt like the million dollar pony!”

“Okay, two things,” I said, holding up two translucent fingers to demonstrate. “First off, stop with the ‘us’ pronouns. You’re separate from me, and I’m separate from you.”

“That’s the thing,” she interrupted, “we –“

“Second,” I re-cut in, “while your body is fine and all, what about mine? Here I am, all ghostly and dead-looking, and I’m still not even in my own mind. At least, probably not, assuming you’re right that I wasn’t dreaming the whole thing where I was in your body. But you said this part is a dream, which – ugh! Just… what about getting me back to being me?”

Pinkie turned to the meadows in the distance, avoiding looking at me again. “You still aren’t in your old body. To be honest, I owe you a thank you for being in place of me. You were the one that took the brunt of Chrysalis’ Changing-thing, and so I got out of anything harmful.” She took a deep breath unsteadily. “But your mind was different because of it. You were bound to a Changeling body. Otherwise, you’d enact a sort of self-destruct sequence, because it wouldn’t be natural for the obeying hivemind to be in something else.”

That didn’t sound good. “But your body isn’t a Changeling’s now, since you got changed back. Is it.”

She nodded meekly. “It’s normal-me. Your mind decayed and got sent to the back of my head, where it… put in nice terms… rotted.”

Even though I was numb and very possibly dead after that explanation, the bottom of my stomach slid out. Bile coated my insides, and I needed to puke. “Clarify, please. Please.”

Pinkie snuck a glance behind her before going back to staring out over the grass. “Celestia wanted to bring your weaker mind back out, find some sort of host for it other than me that was empty… Twilight felt differently, since she thought you were going to be a complete Changeling, and Zecora didn’t have any herbal remedies to fix it. So the princess worked alone and tried to do it.”

That bile welled up and lit on fire like gasoline. My numb hands balled up into fists. “You mean that the pony I saved after being put into a situation I knew barely anything about didn’t bother to try and help me? And your ruler, the most powerful thing you have in your entire world, couldn’t stop me from dying?”

I thought I heard a sniffle from Pinkie, and my gut ached again, though it must have been purely emotional. An emotional gut punch. “She tried. She tried really hard. She did everything she could. And she did stop you from dying. What you are right now is a chunk of what you were before, and it was the best Celestia could do. And I tried to hold on too, though I don’t know how much it helped…”

Great. I was yelling at my favorite pony for something that wasn’t her fault, accusing her ruler for doing nothing wrong, and then jumped to conclusions. Stupid tears were leaking from my cheeks, even though I couldn’t have been physical anymore. “Sorry. Thank you for saving part of me from dying off completely. And thank Celestia for me.”

Pinkie turned around, and she was beaming ear-to-ear again. “Really? You’re happy about it? You didn’t want to die?”

“W-what?” I scoffed. “No. No way! After just getting to visit Equestria, even in some weird circumstances, I wouldn’t want to miss out on some more of it. Especially if I could talk to you some!”

“Oh, good! I guess your head isn’t so solid after all!” She giggled.

“Er, what?” What was she talking about?

The pink pony blinked at me, then giggled again. “While you were stuck up here in my head, I could read every thought and memory you’d ever had! So I got to learn all about your family, your friends, your hobbies, your...”

She went on like that. All I could do was gulp. “Every single thing?”

Pinkie nodded and grinned. “I even found out how you knew about Equestria and everything! Your cartoon memories were the best!”

A twitch of a smile grew on my face. “Yeah, cartoons are the best. And yours is one of the best.”

“And that’s precisely it!” she went on. “I could tell that you liked our show, and then you were really really shocked to end up here, as me, and then you got to see all of the Mane 6 – that’s a funny name, I like it! – and you were having fun up until the part where I had to explain stuff!”

“S-sure,” I stuttered. Having a pink cartoon pony in my head was weird already, but it was pretty embarrassing for her to realize that I liked the show she was in especially.

“And you’re still in my head, and Celestia managed to save a part of you, so you have a couple of options!”

I swallowed again. “Options?”

“Options!” she repeated in a bubbly voice. “You can stay here, only in my thoughts, and basically sit here for all eternity…”

Images of fridge horror popped up in my mind.

“…or you can, um. What was the word? I think the princess called it ‘joining’ or ‘melding’ or something. You can be like a part of me, if you want!”

I blinked away some more of those annoying tears from before. “You mean… literally being part of you? Like, I get to be you, but you’re still you? And… ugh, I don’t get it.”

Pinkie let out a giggle-snort, which made my smile grow. “You get to be me, and I get to be me! That’s why it’s like a ‘joining’ thing and why I said ‘us’ a lot! You liked the whole idea of being me, I thought.”

My cheeks felt warmer than before. “Um. Yes?”

Her own smile became a little more comforting and reassuring. “Don’t worry. No one besides you, me, and Celestia would ever know! Your head said you’d like it!”

“Well, yeah. I… how are you so willing to just let me be you?”

“Because I’ll still be me, too! Nothing wrong there, huh?” Pinkie looked into my eyes, and I couldn’t move them away. Gulp. “So, you ready for the whole join-y thing?”

Well. I didn’t have much of a choice. Being stuck in the most random pony’s mind didn’t appeal to me. Of course, I didn’t really understand how the melding was going to work, but if I got to feel some physical parts again, it’d be nice. Wasn’t that how ghosts went insane, or something? Being depraved of any physical sensation.

Unable to move my eyes from Pinkie, I let out a breath. “Alright. I just hope that it doesn’t… hurt.”
   “Oh, of course it won’t!” Her smile gave way to a pursed mouth, and her eyes shut in concentration. She started shaking some.

Nothing happened for a couple of seconds, and I thought the whole meld might be seamless. It’d be nice to catch a lucky break. But why would that happen when everything could be really odd and disorienting?

I started to stumble on my feet, even though I wasn’t moving. No, I hadn’t been telling myself to move; my body, on the other hand, was being pulled across the grass with an invisible rope. I tried and failed to pull back on it. I just kept sliding forward, and forward, until I was next to Pinkie.

I’ve never been caught in a meatgrinder, or pulled up into a vacuum, or sucked out of a plane’s cargo hold. But as I was pulled farther and farther in, it began to feel like all of those at once. There was something that was cutting me up, it felt like, and other invisible parts of an assembly line that pushed me in, compacting me. And yes, it hurt, even as a ghost.

I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that I kept moving forward while this was all happening, but the forward movement was centered completely on Pinkie, now. All of my cut-up consciousness flowed up into her while I was still suffering from blades cutting into my ethereal form.

Eventually, it stopped. I didn’t know how long it took, but the pain just disappeared all of a sudden, and then I could feel body parts again. I looked down, and yep, I was Pinkie. But my body kept acting without me telling to, like a couple of leg twitches and ear flops.

“We’re supposed to share, remember?” said… me. At least, it came out of my mouth. Er, well. Pinkie’s mouth. Ugh, which was it now?

Anyway, I tried to give up on paying attention to the body, and then the whole thing started moving without me, and I felt eager and happy. I guess we had started bouncing, judging by how the ground kept rising to meet us before being pushed back away.

You know, that did hurt, I thought, thinking that Pinkie could hear it.

She did. “Oh. Eheh, sorry. I guess Celestia never tried it before.”

Ergh, this whole thing was confusing. Lots of thoughts that weren’t mind were floating around in my head, but at the same time, they were my thoughts, and it wasn’t my head. Talk about sensory overload, though in a less… sensory way.

Maybe at some point I could handle this. But definitely not right now. I shut out everything for a bit and just let it go along.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:37:08 PM by Medik Jackal »