Author Topic: The World Changes - random story  (Read 19377 times)

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
on: December 03, 2009, 11:04:21 PM
Just something random I am writing. So you know I am making this as I go with no direction >_>.
Be aware I do NOT proof read these. I make these as I go, not preplanned.

The plan is: Write a segment, small critique on chat or replies. I try to adapt to suggestions and corrections. So you know this is almost 85% made on the spot and I plan on keepign it this way. What I mean is that I plan at MOST one segment ahead, not two or three, ONE.

The World Changes- Segment 1

The brightly lit white room was only disturbed by the red colored vixen restrained to a white painted metal table. She thrashed about and cried on the table in a vain attempt to free herself. Escape wasn't necessarily on her mind rather it was the painful restraints cutting into her flesh. The doctors were keen on avoiding strapping her down along the body, the vixen is pregnant and they do not wish any harm to come to any kits by a crushing belt strap. Two watchers behind a clear glass look upon the animal.

"Go fish." Said one of the white jacketed humans.
"Blast. I can't remember how to play this game!"
The other chuckled... partly because he too cannot remember how to play the game and cheated the other. A sudden yelp from the sealed room and the two watchers check the security cameras and the window.
"Poor girl, what are the big wigs gonna do to her?"
"Dunno Freddie, I hear stuff about the fur industry, genetics, or something. No idea really."
"Yeah... oh crap Gregg, check these vitals." Fred pointed to a monitoring system.
"Lowered body temp, heightened hormones... yep she's having kits... Not good, she's too early."
"Way too early, the docs aren't in till friday."

Gregg opened the observation room's door and entered the lab.
"Greggie! Whatcha doin'!?"
"My dog at home had pups, I sorta know what I am doing.. uhh... sorta..." He pressed a few buttons on the table and the restraints came loose. "C'mere foxie, we need to put you someplace comfortable."
The fox scampered back on the table and jumped back away. "Hey! Come back! Fred! Close the door!"
The exit to the lab closed shut but the fox climbed a set of metal containers and swiped her paw at a vent, opening it and escaped through it.
"Crap! Alert security! We have a loose specimen!"
"Already done Gregg! Computer just gave me emergency data access, we should see if this animal poses a threat." Fred typed search commands with one hand as he drank a cup of coffee and loaded up saved files on the lab's servers. The emergency protocols allow watchmen to access restricted information in case of a breech of containment.
"Containment team, this is Lab 1 Watch Fred Kice. We have a code green breech. Subject can NOT leave the building. Repeat, seal all vents and prevent external exposure."

But it was too late... before Fred even typed a word into the computer the vixen had escaped to the roof. She collapsed on the roof to rest though the effects were already in action...

To be Continued.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:15:26 PM by Donnie »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:44 PM
Hmmm... an uplifted animal escaping into the wild to start a society of sentient foxes, perhaps?  Sounds good to me. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:36:43 PM
Hmmm... an uplifted animal escaping into the wild to start a society of sentient foxes, perhaps?  Sounds good to me. [;)
Only her and her descendants starting a society? Sounds kinda impossible >_>

Inbreeding gets useless after a few generations |:P

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 11:48:05 PM
The World Changes - Segment 2

Grass, concrete, grass, concrete, dirt. Peter stepped carefully over the sidewalk path. Looking down he saw his small foot pads bleed a bit. His parents kept telling him to wear feet cloth or thick feet pads. These things called 'shoes' whatever they were. Honestly they were far too large for his small feet. He stood on two feet like any good 'foxie' around here and most of the foxies he saw on the road walked barefoot anyways. But then they are walking on the flat road... Peter on the other hand is walking on a broken, segmented, and shattered side walk.

Peter crawled over this huge metal thing that was lodged into the side of the giant red cube. What were they called again? Buildings? The metal thing also had these four circles on them, wheels? Oh! A Ford! Now Peter remembers what his parents told him. Old Foxie Harold once fixed these 'Fords'. A brilliant inventor he was, he found a mini 'Ford' with only two wheels and made it work again. It was so small! He gave it to Peter as a present on his birthday though he keeps it hidden in one of these 'buildings' from bullie foxies. He hated them sooo much, the Gray colored foxies were mean but the reds can get nasty if you get close to them sometimes.

Peter traveled down the sidewalks even as they got more and more broken. Peter gave up and walked along the roads to spare his sensitive paw pads. He looked around a bit more, ah yes there is Lum's scrap hill! So many Fords all stacked up into a large hill! Though they all looked so broken and hurt... never to drive again. Lum sells pieces of these Fords to be used for... well anything! Mommie Foxie uses the 'wheel' inside it as a support for a cushion. It is a small chair but really comfy!

Peter found his special hiding building and reached for the door knob. It was difficult as the knob was so high but he managed to reach it! He turned quickly but the friction on his paw pads failed to grip the sleek brass knob. Peter gripped harder and managed to turn the thing, no easy task with the knob so far above him. There it was, his mini 'ford'. Peter pulled it out through the door. It was hard but not something he hasn't practiced in the past. He checked the juice box the mini runs off of, half full. Peter made a note in his mind to refill the juice.

Peter looked up at the odd green hanging sign over the middle of the road.
"Drayton, north south sooo..." Peter looked side to side "37th street here... Okay down 37th." Peter drives his mini ford down the road and made a right turn off of 'Abe~corn' and headed south. He was heading to the largest building he knows. Some place called... Oge's Thorpe.

To Be Continued
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 11:53:32 PM by Donnie »

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:45 PM
Only her and her descendants starting a society? Sounds kinda impossible >_>

Inbreeding gets useless after a few generations |:P

Unless hybrids between sentient/non sentient foxes are possible.. Sentience could be like a dominant trait....

ANYWAY.. on the 2nd part.. haha I suspect this is Decades? after the 1st part.. YAY Downfall of MAn!

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:15:36 AM
The World Changes - Segment 3

Abe's Corn road wasn't so bad up north. A nice and large road to move on, but further south it gets really bad. Peter disliked the 'Count Down' roads with a passion. 37th, 38th, 39th, onwards to 60th and beyond. These roads were overtaken by the local plant life and crashed Fords from the past. The plant growth has gotten so bad that the road has splintered and split apart from the aggressive tree roots surrounding the roads. This often led to a terribly bumpy road and made Peter miss the more stable treeless regions for the sake of riding comfortably.

A few minutes driving down the road Peter came the DeRenne marketplace. The place was once in bad shape like the rest of the city though the nature of the two intersecting roads and location made a good marketplace. Those of the north go south, south go north, east and west and all. A good central location. Peter checked his pockets and pulled out an old watch with no wrist band and checked the time. Eleven in the morning, he was late. He accelerated down the road about a mile or so heading further south.

He soon arrived at his destination, Oge's Thorpe. It wasn't the tallest building Peter has seen, in fact the place only had one floor, but it was the most expansive building he has yet seen. Fact is this place had so many fords parked perfectly side by side, their tanks full of juice, that this place once made the perfect juice harvesting location. There was even a huge ford with a giant tank full of the stuff parked nearby. Peter would fill up soon but Doctor wanted to see him and quick.

Peter scampered off towards Oge's Thorpe and came in front of one of the many entrances. The original text above the entrance has fallen long ago, Peter can't remember what it said last time. Whatever it was this entrance led to a library of some kind. Books everywhere, and these so called "Re-Searching" fellows are reading through as many of them as they can. Peter never really had the patience to read one of these books, in fact it was almost impossible for him to put himself into the shoes of who the heck were the people being portrayed.

"How intriguing..." said a Re-Searcher, "These... Huh Mans seem to really like badly written romance."
The comment was followed by laughter from the other Searchers.
"You'll get used to it. Don't take any of those romances seriously, it is just Huh Mans making stupid things."

Huh Mans so they were pronounced, Peter saw that they were spelled Humans though he wasn't sure in which manner to pronounce it. These must have been the people that built the city in the first place considering their faces are everywhere. No mystery as to what they looked like. If they were any more interested in their appearance on books and signs then they'd be plastered on walls. Still, Peter gave them credit for leaving so much information behind.

Peter entered a large room that was once one of these clothes stores, converted into a sort of mini lab.
"Doctor Hannigan? Sorry I am late. Doctor?" Peter squeaked as he searched for the doctor.

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:59 PM
The World Changes - Segment 4

"A history lesson young man." said a white vulpine dressed in a white lab outfit, "What is this place?"
"Its your lab isn't it Doctor?" Asked Peter.
"... no what is that place beyond my doors? And don't say 'Hall'. What is this building?"
"Um, Oge's Thorpe? At least that is what the huge sign says."
"Partially correct, and honestly I am a bit of a fan of new names for old locales. Still, to correct you, this place was once called 'Oglethorpe'. I believe its original nature does not yet elude you?"
"No sir, I think. I brought the supplies you asked." He held up a paper bag full of apples.
"Ah yes! Fruit, I am famished." he took the bag and began peeling it with a knife. "Please continue."
"Well... my parents..."
"Don't tell me what your parents said boy, tell me what you think." the doctor interrupted.
"I think... I think it is a marketplace?"
"Close Peter, close. In the past this place was once called a 'Mall'. A place where people from all over the city gather to spend their hard worked earnings to obtain the objects they desire. But I ask you this... what happened to those that came before us?"

The doctor cut the apple into slices and put them onto a ceramic plate. Peter helped himself to his share of the apples while the doctor looks through a pile of text books.

"Our predecessors, as materialistic they may be, had a perchance to document or record as many things as possible. We have a mountain of knowledge at our paws, but something is utterly wrong here in this world."
Peter nodded, as all kits do when they don't get all the details.
"Peter, have you spoken to your grandparents?"
"No sir, they don't really like to talk much."
"Have you ever wondered.... why?"

To be continued.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:32:40 PM
Ohh the last bit was awesome.... so the main character is just a child, rather than a 'new' uplift (ie where they dont have a society and such)

So the grandparents cant speak eh... *suspects his Crossbreeding between sentinent/non sentinent foxes was more valid than he originally thought*

Also the watches thing was nice.. + the fords haha, so it wasn't that long ago things fell ]:O

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:20 PM
Fantastic.  I love this. [:)

Great touch having the foxes name things their own way.  And great ending to part four.  Really looking forward to reading more. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 03:47:36 PM
The World Changes - Segment 5

The doctor walks up to a poster on the wall. It was a poster of some kind of woman smiling with excessively brightly painted lips. The smile itself is rather disturbing as it is obviously a fake smile.
"My my have we come a long way," the doctor started, "One day, just out of the blue, we 'woke up'. As if out of nowhere our eyes saw, our ears heard, and our mouths spoke. No memory of whatever came before us. That day many people died, hundreds woke up sitting in their Fords and the immediate realization that they don't know how to use it." The doctor grabbed the poster and tore it apart.

"So we all just appeared here, right? I heard some old timers talk about it, you know? My parents told me about how our grandies woke up one day and were just standing there."

"Just like every 'grandie' out there. They suddenly 'wake up' with no memory. I do not even want to know what that day was like. Imagine the sheer chaos!"

Peter shuddered at the thought of it as well. "Sounds... scary."

"Beyond scary child. The one thing we have to thank is our community spirit. After the initial chaos we all came together and tried to understand. Feh, not like it did much good."

"Why? What happened?"

"Oh well... we did not have a lack of information. Truly. It did take time for the first generation to actually learn this language and text, but once we did things came easily enough but what we don't understand was how the heck did we get here...?"

"Do you know how we got here, Doctor?"

"I have my theories..."

"Is it like that.... um... transformation theory, Doctor?"

To be continued... again

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:57:29 PM
Yay! TF!

Yeah, i like that subgenre a lot |:P

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 04:30:12 PM
Hahah! I like where the story is going, and the possible way the human world ended. Rather interesting spin to it.

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 04:37:32 PM
The World Changes - Segment 6

"Transformation? Pah! Rubbish! If we were a race of pea brained sized rodents, then perhaps I'd go along with such a romanticized story, but please... really now?"

"S...sorry doctor!"

"Not your fault child. I've dabbled in some of these books of genetics. It was quite a complex read but one thing I learned is that changes to a body happen slo~owly. There is nooo way that we were once these... furless creatures. Our grandfathers tell us that they suddenly woke  up in the middle of.. well... anything. It was as if we were living a life... then suddenly forgot everything."

"But we all weren't like that right?"

"All of the grand parents, yes, but people such as you came about the normal way. Even I had parents that bore me, but to them they know not of any parents."

Peter took a bite out of an apple and swallowed.

"Soo um... what do you think?"

"This is the hard part. If we were never humans in the past, what were we? Why did we inherit the world of humanity? Why did we loose our memories? To be honest I have no -clear- theory. Only that we cannot be transformed humans. It is utterly impossible. If the transformation took but a few seconds then people would have woken up -already- in a ford pileup accident. People woke up as if one second it was normal, and suddenly they have no recollection of what happened and where they were but were in the -actions- of doing it."

Peter mumbled childishly, confused at the Doctor's rambling. "So... you don't know what happened."

"My child... NOBODY... knows.."

Stay tuned for the next episode >_>.

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 05:02:40 PM
*cries*

Oh well, it's interesting nonetheless |:P

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 05:24:56 PM
YAY NOT TF! woo! Woot for Genetics! ]:)
* KaiAdin pats Ponty... hehehe

Ohh.. maybe they refer to 'waking up' as gaining sentience, a more metaphorical way of putting it I guess!