Author Topic: Webcomic in the making, need ideas and help.  (Read 26127 times)

Kasimir

• Yet another toon-furry grey fox
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Dammit.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 05:05:28 AM
Different levels of tech sounds like a formally divided world, like groups of small continents or lands divided by mountains or chasms.
Or oceans.

...Right?

"Mission taken!" [:P

Zavier

• This account has been TOTALLY NOT abandoned.
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 05:18:45 AM
Different levels of tech sounds like a formally divided world, like groups of small continents or lands divided by mountains or chasms.
Or oceans.

...Right?

Actually, couldn't the oceans be home to aquatic anthros? I mean, it's not like being anthro gives them the ability to live on land...

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 10:39:06 AM
Another possibility would be to have multiple worlds, linked in some restrictive manner such as gates. Differing levels of magic on each world would in turn influence the direction technology takes, specifically how much of it is integrated into the tech.

Alternatively, a single, large world with an uneven distribution of ether/aether (common magical energy in Steampunk settings) that results in considerably different paths of development in different regions. The people more dependent on magic would likely be able to find a way to store it in a portable form, but the effects of "dead zones" on magic could make for interesting plot points.

Though, a post-apocalyptic setting is also a very easy way to achieve schizo-tech, with most communication infrastructure destroyed and considerable scientific knowledge lost, powerful LosTech would be a valuable prize and the most "advanced" survivors may even be running off of scavenged tech that they don't truly understand themselves.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Kasimir

• Yet another toon-furry grey fox
  • Dammit.
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 03:48:41 PM
Another possibility would be to have multiple worlds, linked in some restrictive manner such as gates. Differing levels of magic on each world would in turn influence the direction technology takes, specifically how much of it is integrated into the tech.

Alternatively, a single, large world with an uneven distribution of ether/aether (common magical energy in Steampunk settings) that results in considerably different paths of development in different regions. The people more dependent on magic would likely be able to find a way to store it in a portable form, but the effects of "dead zones" on magic could make for interesting plot points.

Though, a post-apocalyptic setting is also a very easy way to achieve schizo-tech, with most communication infrastructure destroyed and considerable scientific knowledge lost, powerful LosTech would be a valuable prize and the most "advanced" survivors may even be running off of scavenged tech that they don't truly understand themselves.

If anything, you just gave me some ideas o.o" That, or it was completely obvious and I just got up from 1000 years of living under a rock.

"Mission taken!" [:P

Draykin

• Quad-Tailed Island Kitsune Warlock
  • What could possibly go wrong, besides the obvious?
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 04:26:17 PM
Ok, first off...
Or oceans.

...Right?

Actually, couldn't the oceans be home to aquatic anthros? I mean, it's not like being anthro gives them the ability to live on land...

That is true, Zavier. I won't discriminate against those.

Second...

I would like to thank DV for this input, as it is a great inspiration for an idea I had going, but didn't know how to get working.

It gets so lonely being evil
What I'd do to see a smile
Even for a little while
And no one loves you when you're evil
I'm lying through my teeth!
Your tears are all the company I need

Draykin

• View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 07:05:55 PM
Ok, so here's a base for a lore idea...

In the year 2158, the world was locked heavily in World War III. Devastating weapons tore apart men, armies, cities, and even countries as they reshaped the planet. It was during this, that several of the warring factions stood together to develop a new type of weapon, one that would cause fear and separation. This was know as Project Genesis.

Project Genesis dove into a field of science never before seen in war, genetic engineering. It was a compound that, when released, caused human DNA to become weak, and copy the genetic material of any animal. To put it simply, it turned men into beasts.

Soon, Project Genesis had turned into a full-scale war machine, and just like the power of the atomic bomb, everyone had to have it. The bombs were dropped without care.

Soon, most of the world had become a blast zone, and the number of people who were infected by Project Genesis skyrocketed. Xenophobia had never been greater as militant leaders chose to take the offensive and purge what they thought as "evil" and "tainted". Their victims could only watch and tremble, as their bodies could do nothing to stop the slaughter.

Fortunately for those to be killed, not everyone thought the same way, and they rushed to find even the slightest cure as they watched their friends lose their minds and bodies to the local wilderness.

Eventually, by referring to Project Genesis as a guide, scientists created a formula that would mutate the original compound of Project Genesis, converting the human DNA into a compatible form with the animal DNA. However, this was not a perfect solution...

Project Genesis proved irreversible, and those infected kept some animal traits. From fur, to ears, to muzzles, to tails, to the legs, the variation was wide, and that was only the majority. A minority of those changed mutated in different ways, from growing a human-like torso to only regaining their human minds and memories. A new race had been created, the "Creatura Populi".

All was good, until war fell once again. Humanity fought over whether to destroy the Creatura Populi, or to protect the life they had created from themselves. They knew these "beasts" were human beings once, but they didn't care as to what they were in the past, only to what they are now.

In the end, humanity wiped itself off the face of the Earth, but not before drastically changing it. Most of the technology and knowledge was lost in the destruction caused by wars, leaving the Creatura Populi to fend for themselves. It was not long, however, before they reformed one of the greatest achievements of mankind. Civilization.

They began exploring, regaining the knowledge that was once lost to them. They revived old technology to help survive, and explored the scarred Earth. They found many secrets that humanity had so easily overlooked, from basic sciences to a mystical presence that would allow them to eventually learn to cast magicks.

With each new explorer came old knowledge from the era of mankind, and soon, cities were rebuilt and technology improved. Some refused to abandon their ways for the new, and some chose different ways to advance. They broke into different factions, each with their own views and technology, and those factions still survive to this day.

Note, this is only an idea, it is not set in stone and may change.

Even for a little while

Evilhumour

• The possessor of the almighty tail snap
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • hehe
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:52 PM
Very good idea. I have seen taints of the same thing before, but  I trust you have a new idea for it?

(07:46:59) Robak: watch the horns they are pointy
(22:04:28) Risu: omg, its raining antimuffins!
(00:42:42) * (Rage_plushie) doesn`t move. instead he ponders the secrets of the universe...and wonders why trask smells faintly of strawberries.
(00:36:36) Virmir: It's fattening celergy!

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:58 PM
Have to say that is a well thought out background. Definitly like where the general idea is going, and creates some interesting questions and variables such as are the Creatura of the same race all "tainted" the same way or are they are different level(ie. some close to animal, some close to human, some 50/50), and did humanitys last gasp leave any lasting scars on the earth's surface(like a infertile wasteland, or a giant molten hole in the ground)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 11:32:02 PM by Kenku »

Draykin

• View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 05:57:50 AM
Have to say that is a well thought out background. Definitly like where the general idea is going, and creates some interesting questions and variables such as are the Creatura of the same race all "tainted" the same way or are they are different level(ie. some close to animal, some close to human, some 50/50), and did humanitys last gasp leave any lasting scars on the earth's surface(like a infertile wasteland, or a giant molten hole in the ground)

I would say that each race would have a few mutations to keep them all from being the same, and I also think that mankind most likely left a few battle scars....

Even for a little while

Draykin

• View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:48 AM
Right... About time I did an update on this...
I think a sort of neutral "everyone is having to scavenge technology" is a little bland, and doesn't give much variation to the different nations (or factions, countries, etc.). So instead, I thought to myself one day in midst of a deep plotting session, "Hmmm... Why not have empires and monopolies, of which sell various technologies to the different peoples, for both a profit and obvious 'buyer-seller' treaties? That may result in some interesting things, right?"

So there is the latest update. Will keep you posted unless I forget to remember to remember to post another update on this thread.

Even for a little while