Author Topic: I'll make you an offer...  (Read 9781 times)

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
on: August 15, 2010, 04:03:58 PM
So, I'm looking to get more sprites for my Shadow Wolf project.  So here's my offer:  if you make the sprites for it, I'll add your character to SW--likely as either an unlockable character (via New Game+ or cheat codes) or an enemy, but I'll add them.  I'll credit you in the credits, as well, especially for viable enemy unit sprites.  :)

The basics of what you'll need:

A bunch of sprites.  Characters probably shouldn't be more than 80 pixels tall.  Some doorways are likely to be as small as 100 pixels, and larger characters wouldn't fit through.  Characters should probably be around 70-80 tall.

Next--the closer to my style the sprites are, the better.  I'd prefer they all look pretty similar in style.  If they don't mesh well, they'll stand out.  I may reserve the right to make minor modifications to sprites to keep them closer in style.

Next:  Sprites need to be on a transparent background.  THIS IS IMPORTANT.  If it's not transparent, I can't use it.  Even if they're all in one image, the background needs to be transparent.  You'll need a lot of little sprites, comprising the following animations (and 1 version facing each way).:

Walk -- Probably about 4 frames, looping.  2 frame animations work, but will look sorta' choppy.

Jump -- At least 1 frame.  Most of my characters have a single jump frame.  Looping.

Peak -- This is a single frame used when your character reaches the top of his jump.  You can reuse a jump or walk frame if you want to be a bit lazier.  Doesn't loop.

Fall-- This is at least 1 frame, played while your character is falling.  Loops.

Attack  -- This is at least 1 set of frames comprising an attack.  You can have as many "attack" sets as you want, and they'll be played in sequence,  (or at random, if you prefer).  Melee attacks also require seperate "hitbox" graphics, and ranged characters also need "bullet" graphics.  Any ranged character not providing bullets will use my standard ones, even if that doesn't make sense.  Attacks play in sequence, then loop if needed.

Walking attack -- If you want to be able to attack while walking, you'll need to offer the graphics for it.  At least 1 animation will be needed.

idle  -- This is played when the player stands idle too long.  It can be 1 frame or many.  Loops.

Jump Attack -- Each character has 1 attack for while they're jumping.  It can be as long or short as you like.  Loops as needed.

Fall Attack  -- Like jump attack, but for while you're falling.

crouch -- So far, this is a single frame.  If you want more frames, I can do that, too.  Character can't move while crouched.  (I have my reasons for this.)   Loops.

Crouch attack -- If you attack while crouched, this is the attack that gets used.  It can be as many frames as you want.

Recoil/Hit  -- This plays when your character gets hit/knocked back.  Doesn't loop, plays through once.

Stunned -- This plays while your character is stunned, and unable to move.  Loops.

Death -- Plays through once when you die.  The last frame is your "dead" frame.  Plays backwards if you get revived, somehow.

Portrait -- This is the graphic shown in the HUD.  I'll also want a bigger version for use later, in the character select screen.  The HUD one should be 75 x 75, the other one I don't know what dimensions I'll need, so just leave me something fairly large to work with, I guess.

Other -- Any special abilities, custom graphics, aura effects, etc. need to also be given, else I can't implement them.

Special:
Aircraft -- Due to some preplanned in-game events, I'll also need some sort of aircraft for your character.  I don't really care what, but remember that odds are good your character will be using it as a platform at some point.  If you don't provide one, I'm giving you a generic one.

Character Specific Color -- You don't need to provide any sort of art for this, I just need a color.   Give me the Hexcode or RGB values, and that should be sufficient.

If I think of more, I'll also expect you to provide those.

EDIT:  Since it seems that being able to walk while attacking is a much-desired feature, I added it.  Of course, that means you also need to give me graphics for it.

EDIT:  Oh!  I'll need an aircraft too.  Not too spoilerific, here, since it'll be used in the opening cutscene.  Something like an airplane, or flying bike, or hoverboard would be best.

EDIT:  My brother pointed out to me that I should remind you all that I have to ensure that any graphics you give me are legal.  As such, I can't accept recolors, or anything that uses somebody else's graphics.  Modified character sheets are fine, as long as you can claim them as your own work.  Recolored sprites, however, would be a legal fiasco, so I can't use those.  Just clarifying.

EDIT:  Having finally gotten around to implementing stun, I realize I need "stunned" graphics, too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:05:09 PM by Dragyn »

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:38 PM

First attempt.... eh, not sure I like it.  I might take your advice and draw one full size and then shrink it down. [;)

[fox] Virmir

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 11:55:27 PM
Again, I'd like to reiterate that 50 pixels is really, really small.  I'd personally make Virmir at least 55-65 pixels tall, assuming a scale comparable to the group shot incarnation. 

I like the sprite, though.  If you want to make it mesh better with preexisting sprites, I'd go for more of a straight-from-the-side look, rather than the 3/4 angle you've got.  The 3/4 would be fine, but the sideways movement would likely look a little off.

I really do recommend sketching first, then resizing and inking.  It makes it a lot easier to get relative proportions right.

I'll upload and link a .rar file of all of Mitz' graphics, as an example.  Note that even though I often refer to him as a "finished" character, he still doesn't have all the graphics he'll eventually need.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 05:04:25 PM
Oh!  Another thing I'll need is a character-specific color.  You don't need to provide any sort of art for this, I just need a color.   Give me the Hexcode or RGB values, and that should be sufficient.

Feathertail

• Crimson Flag Fan
  • Writing is flight!
    • View Profile
    • Tachyon Feathertail's LiveJournal
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:07 PM
Sprite Virmir is cute. ]:)

Tree swallow avatar pic by Millislim!

TheTai

• Wandering Swordmaster of Skateboarding, Pancakes, and other Awesomness
  • Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:53 PM
I'd like to participate :D but..how do you make a sprite & frames?  :\

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:35 PM
Basically, what I'm calling a sprite is just a small (about 65x100 pixels) image, and a frame is one such sprite that, when combined in sequence, forms an animation.

Sort of like this:

That's 4 frames in a repeated sequence.

And, as I know I promised ages ago:

Here is the download of Mitz' graphics.

Most of the graphics in there are required.  A few (Doubleshot and ElectricBurst, specifically) are for his special abilities. 

So...if anyone is still interested, there's that.  Sorry I forgot about this for so long.

Xandalstrokl

• The Moving Mountain
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • I like Swords.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:20 AM
I HAVE QUESTIONS ???

-I'm still having trouble trying to figure out what kind of game this is supposed to be. it kinda makes it difficult to follow a style i have no knowledge about. if i had a better sample other than the character sprite that would be a lot easier on me.
- Is there a specific race or can anything be thrown in (human,dragon,fish,Ect..)
- does each action have to be animated or can I be lazy and let you do it :3
- is it too late to try or add people

I ask this because i tried something like this a while back but didn't have the time,skill, or patience to finish.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:01 AM
If you want a taste of the world the game takes place in, my comic, Pending Else is set in the same world, and is a good place to start.

If you're more worried about gameplay type stuff, there's a semi-playable download available to you here. (Forum Thread here should always show newest version.) It isn't very far along, but it should give you a bit of a feel for how your sprite should move.

Note:  It's very important than any sprites you submit that you actually want to see used be in either GIF or PNG format, with a transparent background.   I can't do anything with a sprite if the background is colored.  PNG is definitely preferred, since it supports partial transparency.

I'm not entirely clear on whether you were actually planning to use the sprite you attached to your post, but I should point out that that guy would be huge:  Assume an average height of 6 feet tall is 60 pixels.

But yeah, I'm still open for submissions to this.  I stand by my previous statement that I won't add a character who doesn't meet the requirements, though.  Remember:  This is a game focused on combat, your characters are going to end up working with elite combat agents.  Do try to make them look read to fight.

(That last bit isn't about anyone in particular.  Just a generalized statement.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:50:11 AM by Dragyn »

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:16:16 PM
I'll consider Dragyn, but if memory serves, sprites are very very hard  [fox]

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:29 AM
I wouldn't say hard, but certainly time consuming.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:35 AM
Oh, yeah.  I've found a metric for figuring out how tall to make your sprites:  1 foot is loosely equal to 10 pixels.