Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE  (Read 4984 times)

Aleph

• Toony Wolfy!
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Marf!
    • View Profile
on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:05 AM
Harhar Fuzzies! x3

Some time ago in the chat I used to post from time to time random pictures from my xfire account, which they showed "a human character" next to a "snowman creature with a silly :D smile on it".

Sometimes I tried to explain where they came from, but in the end i just didnt explain a thing (although some furs know about the game =P) but until now, because i am going to explain this! which is related to what i have been playing lately! :D

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE is an awesome mix of MMORPG, but with a more action-focused gameplay, with nice cinematic storyline quests. It uses a system based on leveling up by defeating monsters (demons) and earning experience, but it also uses a very customizable set of skills called "Expertises" which you level up as you choose to rise and use them. Technically there are no "predifined classes", since you have to become that class by leveling the expertises of your choice :D

You can be any combination of Gunner, Mage, Melee, Support, Swordsmith, Armsmaker or even Demon negotiator, which it gives a lot of uniqueness to your character.

And of course, we have Demons as allies. Demons are essential to survive in this game, since they assist you completely in battle in means of healing, or as tanks too :D

The gameplay consists of real-time strategic commands, each with a "casting" and "cool-down" time. The player character is primarily controlled by the number keys and mouse. While the player's demon generally acts on AI, it can be manually given actions with the F keys. Properly using the player character's commands in tandem with their demon companion's can significantly increase the player's battling efficiency. Additionally, it is wise to use demons whose attacks do not compete with the player character, but provide more options. For example, a pair of two close-ranged characters would throw off each others' strategic timing, but a close-range human would be more supported with their demon's long-range attacks for maximum efficiency.

Demons, the main draw of the game, can be obtained through "Negotiating." Like defeat, a successful negotiation earns EXP and the demon disappears. However, the demon can offer items or friendship to the player. Talk, Threaten and Taunt are among the negotiation abilities, and each demon favors a particular ability. After setting a contract, the new partner can fight alongside the player in battle. Demon partners with high friendship can also be "crystallized", becoming a form of item usable in modifying equipment.

There are several types of weapons. Having a variety of at least 3 affinities (generally Slash, Charge and Blunt) is essential to a melee player. Besides weaponry, most equippable items provide minor enhancing effects or simply aesthetics, except for torso and lower body that usually always give defense boosts.

Now for the story and background, more quotes:

This game describes an alternative view of the future where the Earth is overrun by Demons. Humans have clashed, and eventually learned to co-exist with them. The player is a "Demon Buster" (or DB for short), who fights and interacts with these Demons; featuring Japanese anime-like graphics, with the added feature of futuristic devices (such as portable computers that players wear around their arms called COMPs) the game can appeal to a wide range of fans.

The game take place between the events of Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II. In the Tokyo of the game's futuristic scene, sometime around the 21st century (Year 202X), survivors of a war known as the "Great Destruction" live in small constructed shelters awaiting the day when humanity can be rebuilt. These survivors, led by a group known as the "Seven Philosophers", constructed a massive tower which eventually became known as "Shinjuku Babel". The remaining survivors then retreated underground and constructed a refugee city known as "Home III". Here, the player begins their exploration of the world of MegaTen.

In this post-apocalyptic world, demonic forces run rampant and it is the player's job to defeat them.
Players are given the option to be in one of three groups: Law, who try to preserve the system and bring it back together; Chaos, who try to break the system; or Neutral, freelance mercenary types (Note: Neutrals are not necesarily mercenaries, since there is a secret unlockable area for neutrals called Protopia, which it shows an organized faction of neutrals who oppose both Law and Chaos, and desire a more balanced world in which Demons and Humans are respected equally :D). A Players Alignment (Law/Neutral/Chaos) can be changed through the game either by answering questions on certain acts, or donating money to Law or Chaos churches.

Players can, while developing their own character, capture the already mentioned "Demons" and also "Spirits" through the use of specialized skills, then use these captured creatures to battle other monsters in combat. These demons can also be fused together to create more powerful demons. Demon use is based on alignment, skill, level and abilities of the players. Players can also complete quests to find additional items, learn new skills and explore more of the world of MegaTen.

Two types of missions to undertake in Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine are acts and quests. Acts are based on the storyline, while quests are small missions you can undertake for extra XP or Macca."

Also! a one important aspect of the game is the "rock-paper-scissor" gameplay style in terms of strenght-weakness of elements or "action type" moves. For example, if one player does a basic attack to a player that is executing a Guard skill, he/she will guard against it with minimum HP damage.

You can also counterattack, or even dodge shot-type atttacks with Dodge skill :D the game is more than  just having the best status points or the best gear, since you have to be responsive and Dodge or Counter an attack with the right timing :)

Also! the game now features more new acts, quests, weapons, spells and a PvP mode called "Versus", made specially for those who like to battle competitively :D

Well, thats pretty much of it fuzzies x3 I hope this post explained the game in general... and yes, it is not like Earth Eternal and it doesnt feature a more "fantasy setting", yet i found this game interesting in story, gameplay and of course! having a demon partner to fight alongside you x3

More screenshot goodness :D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:06:10 AM by Aleph »

"What goes up must come down, yet my feet don't touch the ground."

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:57:25 PM
Woah... this a HUGE write up X3 Cool game too X3 *snugs aleph*

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.