Author Topic: Advance Wars: YOU ARE CHALLENGED  (Read 12389 times)

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:41 PM
People who hung out with me on #MKGuild will remember this. [;)

http://awbw.amarriner.com/

If you're not familiar, Advance Wars By Web is a browser-based version of the GBA (and DS) games of the same title.  It's really simplified-- all the animations are stripped out-- but it emulates the real game nicely.

THE TIME HAS COME ONCE AGAIN FOR EPIC BATTLE

I'm challenging 1-7 people (max map size is 8 players) to FUZZY WAR.  Please post if you are interested. [;)

This game is VERY slow paced.  Once we get going, you'll be lucky to have one turn per day, if that.  That's another nice thing about it, is you can set aside time to take your turn whenever you have it.  (To be fair, I've been known to spend an hour on a single turn... *is a slow general*) I wouldn't be surprised if an 8 player match took six months. [;)  You'll get an email whenever your turn comes up.

If you never played Advanced Wars before, pick up a ROM and go through the tutorial mode and play a few missions.  It's quite a fun game and easy to learn.

Tentative rules/settings

- Fog of War
- Fair weather
- No CO powers
- Three day turn limit before kicking

Let me know your preferences.  Can change/discuss. [;)

I'd like to get started this Saturday or so. We'll need to know how many players there will be before we choose a map, since maps are all based on player counts.

Also, it would be nice if everyone were around in the chat when we get started, because the first few turns go by really quick (just a minute or two each), and we can get a good start on the game before things get epic.  It's not that big of a deal if we can't all be there at the starting time though.

THERE ARE PRIZES

For the champion, I will draw a full colored, 1-3 character doodle complete with background.  Think Giant Taur Potion, Flaming Virmir Punch, or Three-tailed.

For second place, I will draw a quick, 1-2 character sketch. Like this or this.

If I get first or second place, I will just draw something for myself. [;) (I considered opting out and giving the drawing to whoever came in below me, but I realized that would not be fair because it would be an incentive to attack other players instead of me in the game.)

WAR IS BEGINNING

Who is fuzzy enough for the challenge? [;)

[fox] Virmir

Donnie

• Mage of the TabletPC
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:25 PM
All of Virmir's Bases Shall Belong to Me. Sign me up.
* Donnie is a vicious general >=3

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:06:55 PM
Alrighty, I'll give this a shot.

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

PrincessHotcakes

• Prettiest Princess
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • I gurl
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:08:31 PM
Erm... I guess I'm getting sucked up into this ]:P  Why not?
Get ready for the flaming fires of n00bishness!! >: D I bet I can make myself fall to earth in a bigger fireball than any of you! ]:P
*is an awkward but somewhat crazy general*

🏳️‍⚧️Princess is a contagious condition🏳️‍⚧️
She/her pronouns please ❤️

Shifting Sands

• I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:58:12 PM
You put drawings as the prizes in a game I never played?

I MUST JOIN THE FUZZY WAR AND KILL OR BE KILLED

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28:46 PM
Sure! count me in |:)

JGGC

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Gallery
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:17:37 PM
It's been a very long time since I last played any of the Advance Wars games...and I wasn't good at it =P
Well, if I show up in the chat at the day, I'm in.

One thing though. Do the prizes go under the Art License thing?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:31 PM
Prizes won't be under the license, since they will be gifts and not requests. (I'll always post the license where it applies.  So if you don't see it, you can assume it doesn't apply.)

Also, I'm not sure if we'll be able to get everyone together in the chat at once anyway, since this is mostly an external, slow paced thing.  So don't worry about being there or not at that time.  If that is the case, I will need everyone's AWBW login name so I can send out the game invites. We'll just get off to a slower start, is all.

If you're still in, JGGC, we've got room for just one more!

[fox] Virmir

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:44 PM
I'll go for it! I remember this...

Now if only I can remember how to play...

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:28 PM
*grins* That was fast! Okay, that's eight players!

I'll look around and post some 8 player maps later for us to pick through. (If people want to take incentive too, go for it! [;))  Probably will get the ball moving Saturday, after comic work. [;)

In the mean time, people who are new or rusty, I suggest brushing up by playing the official game's tutorial mode, or challenging each other to a small practice game or two. [;)

[fox] Virmir

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:18:04 PM
This should be fun to watch :) Make sure you drop a game link here for people to look over :)

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:50:56 AM
Hmmm, that brings up a good point. If we do Fog of War, people won't be able to watch.... thoughts?  I personally prefer fog, but this is a CF community event and it'd probably be more fun if everyone could watch the action. [;)

Also, may do CO powers after all.  Does bring more variety to the game.  I'll read up on what every CO does and ban the over-powered ones before we start.  On the other hand, it does force people to rely more on skill than special powers if they are turned off. Thoughts?

Also, I looked at 8-player maps and this one looks to be the best so far.

http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=33901

People are free to flip through them and see if they can find any more suggestions here: http://awbw.amarriner.com/searchmaps.php

I saw a few other nice ones, but most of them are geared for team play, instead of everyone against each other. I would like to find one a *bit* smaller, since the above will take six months for sure. [;)

Also, everyone please post your AWBW login names so I can send out invites when we get started tomorrow (Saturday), assuming you won't be around in the chat.

GET YOUR WEAPONS READY

[fox] Virmir

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 12:11:08 PM
Okay, so I have everything set up.  We just need the above players to join. [:)  Please contact me today to do so!

We are going to go with CO powers.  I just disabled the COs that were "overpowered".  Weather is always clear, and you'll have three days to make your turn before getting kicked from the game. (Make sure you can get the "your turn" notification emails!)

Once everyone joins and the game officially starts, I will post a link for everyone to watch. [:)

[fox] Virmir

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 04:36:04 PM
And the game has started.  He's the link for people to watch. [:)

http://awbw.amarriner.com/game.php?games_id=138376

Also, I think next time we'll probably do two consecutive games and then a "finals" match, since there was a lot more interest in this than I expected and that way everyone can play.

[fox] Virmir

Shifting Sands

• I dunno, you tell me.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 03:37:06 PM
Right, so, because I possess this shiny silver medal, I do believe I will trade it in for my second place prize now...

Because of Toast's OH-SO-STRANGE insistence on being a pooltoy dragon in the chat... why not draw it? He likes squeakies |:P

And, since I want to be in the piccie, too, and there can be two characters... I'll join him as a pooltoy, I suppose!

Anyway, have fun with the SQUEAKing, Virmir!

EDIT: Just realized I didn't state anything for us to DO, so... just have us tackling each other and bobbing around in a pool!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:09:24 PM by Medik Jackal »