Author Topic: Possible Dark Heresy Map Tools Game  (Read 13776 times)

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:44 PM
So...here's what I'm offering:

After the recent DnD thing Kenku ran, I've been considering running something of my own--also a one off type thing, that would run through one module, and then end.

I'm particularly fond of Dark Heresy, an RPG system set in the Warhammer 40K universe, where the PCs are part of the Imperial Inquisition.  I've got a DH module that I ran just recently (last friday, as a matter of fact) and I've located a Dark Heresy library for MapTools, and recreated it in there. 

The module is fairly combat light, but even so, Dark Heresy likes killing people off.  I know the group I ran it with on Friday had no problem with it, but I missed consistently, and they were rolling pretty well.  Dark Heresy expects player characters to die, and, to reduce the penalty for dying, a character with Fate Points (all characters start with at least one, unless they sacrifice them) can permanently burn a fate point to not die (and the GM has to explain why they aren't dead.)

Note that if you don't want to make a character of your own, there are 4 premade characters.  I even made them their (very intricate) character tokens already.  If you do want to try making your own character, I can get you a PDF of the Core Rulebook, and I'm always willing to answer questions.

So...I don't know that many (or any) of you have any experience with the system, but if anybody's interested, I'm willing to run it.  That said...any takers?

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:21 PM
I may be. Would need help with getting books although, as this is a system I haven't touched yet.

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:18 PM
In a game where I'm expected to die, I'd probably burn through Fate Points way too fast. >_> I'd like to take a look through the materials, but I'm probably going to pass unless I end up putting together a character that looks like it would be just too fun to pass up.  Like a Commissar or something. XD  Still yeah, given that description expect me to be all out of extra lives by the second encounter or so. So even if I do play the party better plan on me not being there for most of the game.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Geary

• Pyro
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:58:14 PM
I'll try it, and hopefully get it done before the day we start...

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:05:34 AM
Hey, that's a lot of interest!  Cool.  More info, then:

I can safely guarantee that you won't die more than a few times, since there aren't many fights in this module, and enemies won't attack you if you're not a threat (That is, if you've been knocked down, or ran), unless everyone else is down too, which isn't very likely, and 3 of the 4 premades have a whole 3 Fate points (the other has only 2).  It's worth noting that you can use a fate point to reroll any roll, and they come back at the end of the session.  You can burn fate points to not die even if you've spent them, burnt fate points just don't come back.

For those of you with a torrent program, here is a torrent file.  All you'll need is the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook, so you don't need to download the rest of that.

For those of you who don't have torrent programs, I'll probably need to email it to you, or something.  Let me know if that's the case.

Once you've got the book, all you need to worry about are chapters I through VII.  Almost everything after that is for the GM.  You'll probably want to fill out a character sheet, so you can use this one.  You can the other fluff chapters if you want, but all the rules you'll need are in the first 7.  If you do read one, I'd recommend Chapter X, since it explains some of what your characters are.

However you make a sheet, you can send it to me, and I'll set up a token for MapTools.  If you want to do it yourself, you can download the Framework, and just drag an image token out there.  I'll be using the Character Macros and not the Frames, because I was getting some weird bugs, so be sure to turn that off if you do.

I should also point out that I probably won't be running this until after Christmas.  I have everything ready, but I'll probably be away from home until after Christmas, so no fast in'net, or access to my computer, but I'll still be available for questions (since I'll probably still check the forum and email, at the least, most every day).

One last note:  If anybody doesn't have their character ready when everybody else is ready to start, I'm probably gonna' make you use one of the premades, unless the party is willing to wait.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 07:12:57 PM
Alright...I'm back at home, and I think I can run this whenever y'all are ready.

So...is anyone still interested?

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 07:16:08 PM
I need to dive into the book but I still am.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:53:00 PM
Cool.  I'm still willing to answer questions if you need.

EDIT:  Oops.  I guess I'm gonna' be out of town this weekend, as well, for New Years.  Still, I'll be here to answer questions until at least Friday, and I doubt everyone will be ready by this weekend anyway, but here's a heads up.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 07:55:03 PM by Dragyn »

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:56:10 PM
Eh, I guess I'll jump in if I can get a character built in time and you still need players.  If such is the Emperor's will!

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 08:22:27 PM
Well, I'm certain there's room for more people, so by all means.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
Hmm...Looking at this, and the small knowledge I know of the theme...I think I it may be best to run one of the premades, so yea...I think Im going to head that route Dragyn.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:05:40 PM
Alright, then.  I'll post the list of the premades when I get back home.

By the way:  I'm sorry for the delay, here.  I'm stuck at some relatives' house due to some unexpected complications.  I should be back home by this weekend, but I don't know when, specifically.

EDIT:  Oh, blast it.  Apparently I won't be back up there until at LEAST friday, so I might have to put this off until next week.

I'm really sorry about all this.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:00:26 PM by Dragyn »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 01:15:08 AM
Double post:

Yeah.  Not this weekend.

Circumstances have me away from home until at least Monday night, maybe later. 

Sorry.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:30 PM
Triple Post:

The Premade Characters are as follows:

Mir, A guardsman from a Feral World.
Xanthia, an Assassin from an Imperial World
Ishmael, Scum from a Hive world.  (Think Rogue, here.)
Cimbria, an Arbitrator born on a spaceship.

If you want to change a character's gender, appearance, or anything else with no mechanical effect, go for it.  I've just presented them as they are in the book. 

Those of you making your own characters don't need to worry about these.  They're here for those who want to use them.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 12:44:57 AM
Hmm...I think Ill play Mir.