Author Topic: Everyone read this right now!  (Read 8105 times)

Feathertail

• Crimson Flag Fan
  • Writing is flight!
    • View Profile
    • Tachyon Feathertail's LiveJournal
on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:46 AM
Chaoticidealism, a blogger on LiveJournal that I've been following for some time, just got interviewed by NPR about her experiences as an autistic person.

You can read the interview here, and her follow-up article, "Ten Things Everyone Should Know About Autism," here.

Speaking as an autistic tree swallow, I was so depressed today when I saw books about "curing" autism on display at the library today. But this is just plain win. Chaoticidealism is my hero(ine).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:30:23 AM by Feathertail »

Tree swallow avatar pic by Millislim!

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:30:10 AM
You're right, everyone should read that.  It's a fascinating read on a topic too-few people understand.  I've known several people with various disabilities (autism among them) over the years and I've never found that it makes them any less of a person.

Thanks for the links, FT.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:17:53 AM
You know, it's kinda funny. The article itself gives more clarity and detail to my vague imaguessnations of what this disorder actually meant; I'm happy to note that there was no blatant wrong to correct there, mostly thanks to vagueness. On the other paw, the "idea" behind both the article and the post is to make "neurotypicals" less "afraid" of autistic people... and I'm slightly wondering if it's not smoothing things a little bit too much - case in point, quite a few points of the blog post's list would apply to me.
In any case, I wish you folks to succeed in getting more understood and accepted - knowing the dumb masses I'm not very optimistic about the chances, but it'd be good if it'd happen... good luck.

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?