Author Topic: Comic Questions  (Read 36844 times)

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 08:01:29 PM
Foxes are often used in anthro stories because of a few reasons.
1. Distict. They're foreign enough that you can get flexible without people questioning too much, but familiar enough that people can have a clue what you're talking about.
2. Flexible. Foxes are omnivorous, which means you don't have to constrain yourself to exactly one idea of society. Very useful.
3. Outside of domesticity. Dogs and Cats are fine, but they're familiar to people all too much, which means if you make one slip-up, everyone will be able to catch you. Which would be bad.
4. Fun? I don't know. But I feel like there should be a fourth point.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaiting for next update...>.<...

UPDATE:
Unimaginable. 700. Orly? Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. But that's only in our sense, I guess. For a society way back when, that might have been a lot.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:17:49 PM by Lopez »

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 06:52:28 PM
I'm so allowed to double post, right? If not, just, like, combine this post into the previous one and then delete this one.

Yay adding more races! I take it this is first time we se the Fens. They appear to be a subservient race, of course, (darn those reds! (They're all communists!>.<(But in actuality they aren't, since they don't believe that everyone is equal in society.))) But they are not a slave race, right? Booooo slave race >.<. Is Lucian going to free them? o.o. Lol......sorry, I just like postulating and theorizing. But continue. I'll be waiting anxiously for the next update.

I also read your recent story addition, and I liked it! But are we allowed to comment on your stories here?

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:34 PM
I think the fen is just a teenager, he's probably just a messenger boy or something like that.

Box and a Gray seal? sounds like Lucian's father is someone important...

Anyway just a suggestion: how about we  make a new topic/thread for each new comic update?, that way it'll be easier to search the forum archives when looking back and discussing various plot points.

KAC

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 11:00:52 PM
While, normally, I would support that idea, in this situation it might be not all that good. It would probably boil down to me opening a topic, Virmir responding, then rinse and repeat. However, perhaps a Chapter by Chapter method might be suitable.

NO WAY that the Fen is a teenager. There's two possible situations. One is that the fen is in the age range 9-12, but that brings him, her, it, up to a tween at best. MAYBE young teenager. OR....the race of Fens is simply naturally smaller than both the Grays and Reds. Since Gray foxes and Red foxes are approximately equal in size, it wouldn't make any difference until now. Fenec foxes are between 9-12 inches, which is aproximately the size of a small cat. Grays and Reds are 3x that size, about the size of a medium-sized dog. Therefore, this representation that the Fen is younger would appear to us by human reasoning that if someone is smaller then they are younger, but it might not specifically be the case when dealing with a different race. Therefore, the Fen is actually more like 20(relative) age range. Or, you could be right. That's always a possibility.

Hm......in addition, I'm assuming that Grays use gray seals, Reds red, etc, etc....

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:01 AM
I still say the fen is a teenager, maybe around 15/14, mainly cause why would they give such a menial job to an adult? I mean unless the message was really really important, a teen would be quicker on their feet or something like that.

Its more that Lucian got a message that was sealed in a black case, rather than its colour that makes me think Lucian's family must be somewhat important. The fact that his father could write and that the message was sent in a case, implies that they had enough money to spend on an education and that could could afford to buy materials to make case for the message.

Yea, you got a point about opening a topic and not getting many replies. I guess once the forum picks up a bit, and there a lots more replies, it would be better to start making separate topics for each post.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 09:00:48 PM
Welcome, Kai!  Thanks for stopping by. :)

As for starting topics, however you guys want to do it is fine by me.  But yeah, we may want to keep comments in one thread unless we get more visitors.

I'll just touch on a few things since some of the points brought up will be addressed in the comic.

Unimaginable. 700. Orly? Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. But that's only in our sense, I guess. For a society way back when, that might have been a lot.

Should give you a hint about the world population. ;)

OR....the race of Fens is simply naturally smaller than both the Grays and Reds. Since Gray foxes and Red foxes are approximately equal in size, it wouldn't make any difference until now. Fenec foxes are between 9-12 inches, which is aproximately the size of a small cat.

This is my sort of reasoning when I dream up races. :)

I also read your recent story addition, and I liked it! But are we allowed to comment on your stories here?

Thanks for reading!  Sure, but it would probably better go in the other forum for random topics.  Or you can just email me your thoughts.  I appreciate it!

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 10:16:46 PM
OR....the race of Fens is simply naturally smaller than both the Grays and Reds. Since Gray foxes and Red foxes are approximately equal in size, it wouldn't make any difference until now. Fenec foxes are between 9-12 inches, which is aproximately the size of a small cat.

This is my sort of reasoning when I dream up races.

Yeah but that still doesn't answer our debate.

I still say the fen is a teenager

NO WAY that the Fen is a teenager.

Or is that the
some of the points brought up will be addressed in the comic.
? Arrrrrrggghhhhh. >.<

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 04:12:34 AM
OR....the race of Fens is simply naturally smaller than both the Grays and Reds. Since Gray foxes and Red foxes are approximately equal in size, it wouldn't make any difference until now. Fenec foxes are between 9-12 inches, which is approximately the size of a small cat.

This is my sort of reasoning when I dream up races.

Yeah but that still doesn't answer our debate.

Well I think at least it adds points to your argument!  ;)

Quote from: Lopez
some of the points brought up will be addressed in the comic.
 Arrrrrrggghhhhh. >.<

Well, we'll just have to wait and see, Only 4 more days.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 04:14:06 AM by KaiAdin »

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 01:57:00 AM
Double posting, ah well can't be helped... I was going to say something yesterday, but i though I should say something more substantial than 'yay update'.

Now, I wonder, what things would Lord Urocyan be arguing about with the (probably Red Reyn) Queen and Council? And how did Lucian fall out with his father.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 04:31:22 PM
Arguements possibilities:

1. Note that his father is a "Lord" and that he will be discussing with the "Queen." This could be VERY bad. Since he is a gray, it is safe to assume that his father is a gray, therefore in line with a gray area of rule. Since the Queen is a red, he could be meeting with her discussing the absolution of his kingdom. Bad. Or...

2. He could be meeting with her to assinate her in an attempt to usurp the throne, or...

3. He could be, you know, discussing BUSINESS. How unfair the new taxes are, statements about defense investments, etc.

In addition, there are a number of theories for his fallout.

1. The "mage vs. sword" theme present in "The Order of the Stick" between Roy Greenhilt and his father, or...

2. His father wanted him to inherit his kingdom while he wanted to go elsewhere, or...

3. His father planned a marriage for him. That usually turns out ugly in stories, >.<.

Bowie

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 01:25:22 PM
Ah, props. One question I have though: why did you choose the title that you did?

Asperger's opens as many doors as it closes.  Damn doors.
Alas...

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:42 PM
Welcome, Bowie!

The title of Lord?  Well it should become evident what he's lord of within the coming pages.  The fact that he's a lord does mean that he owes fidelity to the Queen, though.

And Lopez has some good speculations there. ;)

[fox] Virmir

Bowie

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 08:29:43 PM
...erm, I guess what I meant was the title of the comic. Sorry, I should've been more clear.

Asperger's opens as many doors as it closes.  Damn doors.
Alas...

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
Ha ha!  Well simply put, Caerreyn, the primarily Red Reyn nation, flies a red flag. :)

(Plus it sounds cool!)

[fox] Virmir

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 03:40:51 AM
Lord Urocyan doesn't look as nice (and as old) as I thought he'd be. Looks kinda evil too which I guess the point thats being conveyed.

(eh its not really a question, but eh, maybe its time to split the topics?)