Author Topic: Comic Questions  (Read 36832 times)

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:02 PM
((Are we allowed to double post in the welcome topic? Or should I just make a new one?))

It kind of intrigued me also because of the theme of RedvsGray that you have going on. I have a 5-layer system that I use, so seeing just how the two of them bounce off each other is really interesting. But are you going to have other "color conflicts" invloving characters like you had in "The Fennec and the Naga"? Or is that a seperate world? o.o. I'm just kind of interested in talking.

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:01:31 PM
Don't worry about where to post.  I'm thrilled you're interested enough to post in the first place. :)

[EDIT: Figured it best to split this discussion out anyway. :)]

There are actually a number of different types of Reyn in this world (Reyn being the name of its fox-like inhabitants).  The Reds and the Grays have had their beef with each other, but as I hope to show within the coming pages, their feud is much more complex than races taking sides.  I currently have plans for five races.

I might as well post a sneak preview of the wiki I've been working on. :)

http://wiki.crimsonflagcomic.com

Not much of a "wiki" actually, since I'm the only one who can edit.  I've been slowly adding content to it to help keep track of the world as I build it.  But as it stands, it needs much more content before it will be presentable.  (At that point it'll get a link at the top of the page.)  Asking questions is a good thing as it helps me decide which articles are most important. :)

As for The Fennec and the Naga (thanks for reading!), that's a separate world, although you can see some ideas in there that may make it into this comic.  I do have an idea for a fennec character based on the one in that story, except that this one's evil. ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:50:46 PM by Virmir »

[fox] Virmir

Pontos

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:33:23 PM
OMG, that wiki is fugly  :o. It looks like the website of some open source project :P (content before design). I hope you touch it a bit.

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:54:58 PM
Although, I have noticed one very, very disturbing fact. Why is it that all of us seem to create Fox races that have names that look sooooo familiar??? I mean, our two races' names are freegin ANAGRAMS of each other!!! >.<!!! Reyn(Yours)~Ryne(Mine:"Rye-nuh") CREEEEEEEPY.....

I look forward to when you get your wiki finished. Are you working on another story, by any chance?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:31:19 PM
OMG, that wiki is fugly  :o. It looks like the website of some open source project :P (content before design). I hope you touch it a bit.

Ha ha.  That's actually MediaWiki, the same thing Wikipedia uses.  I didn't want it to look like every single other MediaWiki site, so I changed the skin to the only other one that looked decent.  You want to see "content before design", take a look at the other skins provided. ;)

I kinda like it, but I may tweak it a bit.  You can actually go to the user panel and change the skin back for your personal viewing if you want though.  However accounts are disabled and I'm not sure guests can do that.

Quote from: Lopez
Although, I have noticed one very, very disturbing fact. Why is it that all of us seem to create Fox races that have names that look sooooo familiar??? I mean, our two races' names are freegin ANAGRAMS of each other!!! >.<!!! Reyn(Yours)~Ryne(Mine:"Rye-nuh") CREEEEEEEPY.....

Ha ha!  It's not too creepy.  I simply derived the name from Renard, which means fox anyway. I'm sure most people's thought process is similar. ;)

I look forward to when you get your wiki finished. Are you working on another story, by any chance?

I have a few written stories outlined, but I write sporadically and I'm not sure when I'll get around to writing them.  The comic is my main focus. :)

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:03:54 PM
I just choose that name because I liked the sound of "Rye". But seriously, they're ANAGRAMS.

You draw the comic yourself, right? How long does it take you to finish one?

I can never seem to outline my stories before I write them. It just kind of breaks my flow. I mean, I know how my stories start and end before I begin writing, but that's about it. >.< But I'm going to need to learn to outline a lot better once I write something that goes over 20 pages.

I saw your wiki, and looked at all the races. What's "Fen"? I can understand all of the other ones...

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:41:26 PM
I actually commission the pencil sketches from Tod.  Then I ink, color, add the text, etc myself.  I can usually get a page done in a week, but I set up the ten day schedule to accommodate for writing page scripts, website work, etc.

Scripts do take me a lot of time because I'm a dreadfully slow writer.  And you're right.  The beginning and end are usually the easier parts. The meat is the tough part. :)

Fens correspond to fennecs in our world. ;)

And... page 9 is up! Yay!

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 05:53:57 AM
I take it all these terms will be explained in due time. But it does appear that a "Level 3" is a very high rank. What's the highest rank?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:25 PM
Yep.  I intend to have everything explained through the course of the story, but giving info like this on the side can't hurt. :)

There are four ranks.  Level 1's are the initiates, Level 2's are learned and competent, Level 3's you do NOT want to cross in a dark alley, and Level 4's are the grand masters.  There are only one or two Level 4's in the entire city and only a handful of 3's.

All Reyn can learn magic, but most aren't talented enough to pass the level 1 rank.

(Edit: Thought this discussion deserved its own thread, so split it out. :))
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:52:17 PM by Virmir »

[fox] Virmir

Lopez

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:35:54 PM
Intriguing! Is Religion going to be a major part of your story? More intiguing, am I correct in saying it's a monotheistic religion?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:42:50 PM
Not a huge part of the story per se, but one of the major differences between the Reds and the Grays.  And differences between the Reds and the Grays are the driving force behind events to come. ;)

It's sort of monotheistic in the sense that the Lady of the Stars is the primary deity, but there are other lesser spirits that are also worshiped to an extent.  To the Reds, these spirits are servants of the Lady.  To the atheist Grays, they are just other life forms with a highly magical life force.  Other races have a different take, such as the shamanistic Swifts that worship only the spirits and not the Lady.

And to add to the fun, there are two takes on worshiping the Lady of the Stars.  One that is tolerant of other beliefs, and one that is fanatical.

More information forthcoming. :)

[fox] Virmir

Kasyl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 03:31:29 PM
I look forward to reading more.

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 11:08:46 AM
Cool.  Thanks for stopping by. :)

[fox] Virmir

Xim

• The Dude Man
  • Crimson Flag Fan
  • Holy crap, it's a human!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 05:03:30 PM
Wow, this is pretty cool, I didn't know you were up to this much Virmir.

But yeah, you sure do like fox-guys don't ya?

Virmir

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 11:03:59 AM
Hey Xim!  Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Obviously vulpines are the superior choice when it comes to artistic expression! (Heh...)

[fox] Virmir