Author Topic: Islands of Infinity  (Read 39075 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 10:23:17 PM
Seigfried turns to look at the contraption, and sees the movement himself,
"Now what  have we here..."
He sits down at the workbench and peers through the magnifying glass set at the device, studying it for clues about its origin and function.
"Well, blast, it looks like this piece is just loose.  Damned if I know what it's supposed to do, though."

((Alright, I'm basically trying to have my character get a good enough look at the device that he can reasonably come to the conclusion that it's beyond his skill level, since the only examination he's given it prior to this was in a dark street.  I'll wait for you and Jonas to sort this out then try to retcon appropriately.))
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:53:32 PM by Digital Vulpine »

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 01:58:50 AM
Kyan switches to his cat form, and seats himself across the street, watching, ears alert.

He hasn't anywhere better to be, after all.  May as well wait and see what's up.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 05:16:08 AM
OOC: Okay Jonas, you're taking too long to respond with what I need to know about what you have in mind for this item. I sent you a PM a few days back which should have been plenty of time for you to send one back even if we couldn't catch each other in the chatroom much. As such I'm going to have to start making rulings about this watch thing. First one being that it starts as broken. This means that it really couldn't start turning when Fen was nearby.

DV, you have a few ideas on how to fix it but without knowing what it's supposed to do you're not sure how to properly put it back together or what parts it may be missing. You may want to consider asking an expert in magitech (this probably means a magesmith) whenever you manage to find one. There isn't one on the island that you know of.

Jonas, you can still get back to me with something if you do so before progress on the watch becomes significant.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 10:01:45 AM
=ack, sorry! Anyway, I don't have any actual idea of what the watch-thing is supposed to be. When I said one of the gears started 'turning' I was picturing it doing so very slowly and sort of about to fall off its piston/whatever the term is. I just figured it would be a good hook to get everyone moving together and might be motivation to leave the island. As for what it is...I'm thinking a sort of aura-compass but it's completely optional if you want it to be something else. Currently I guess it would be a literal plot device ^^ =

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 11:29:48 AM
Drauger leans in to inspect the device.
"Strange, I haven't seen anything much like this before. Must be custom make, whatever it is. As for anything magnetic, haven't got anything.

retcon powers activate.. >_>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:01:44 PM by Fen »

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: July 24, 2010, 04:50:10 PM
OOC: Okay Jonas, if you don't have a specific thing in mind just yet then I'm going to requisition this watch for plot purposes. I will accept that one gear was loose and started to wobble from a jostle or something. Fen, Jonas asked if you had anything MAGNETIC, not MAGITECH. Close, but not quite what you're looking for. ^.^ Anyway, my previous post still applies to this watch then.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:44 AM
Setting his blood ale down, William pulls out a small collection of stones, to which he looks over and shines. Among them are many of the darker gemstones, such as obsidian, Tiger's Eye, and Amethyst. Taking out a second small bag, he dumps out some odd rocks, and then a small tube. Placing a rock inside it, he adds some fine sand and begins to shake it.

A minute or so passes and William empties the tube to reveal the stones in a slightly less rough appearance. He smiles and looks over them agian.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 09:18:46 AM
Sennel loses interest in the large golem and peeks over Siefried's shoulder as he examines the strange clockwork. "So, any idea how to fix it? Or at least figure out what it is?"

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 09:16:33 PM
Seigfried tilts his right ear down and scratches his head, then says,
"I'm afraid not, but I may know someone who does, let me check my logs."
He walks over to a small bookshelf and pulls out a leather-bound volume which has surprisingly low levels of dust.  He opens it up and thumbs through several pages before settling on an old entry.

Delivery to Dr. Galilei; custom stopwatch, no oscillator, for research purposes...

"Here it is, he's a magesmith who lives on another island, he wanted a high-speed stopwatch for some reason, he used some kind of magic to replace the oscillator that allowed it to record hundredths of a second.  If anyone would be able to help us with this, I bet he would."

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:26 PM
OOC: Hmmm... I'm having to do less GMing than I thought I would. You even managed to come up with your own own magesmith ^.^ If I want any action in this RP I may have to actually make a character myself ^.^;

Anyway, your suggestion is feasible and this Galilei fellow may just know something about your mysterious watch. Like most magesmiths, he prefers a little bit of isolation to work in peace. He still lives in the same empire you are in, but it's a little more towards the edge of the empire. The island doesn't actually have an official name, but people refer to it as The Tower of Yasalal due to its tall cylyndrical and hollowed shape which has historically served as a guard point for Yasalal. (Legends claim the original name was Yasalaleskeesaloosvaralaeee but historians refute this. It should be noted that many of them blush as they do so.)

In modern times, the tower is no longer stocked for defense as Yasalal has been at peace with their neighbors for quite some time. It is now home to several various individuals who live in different parts of the tower. Kind of like a monastery crossed with a university where learned individuals tend to live and periodically meet up to discuss and debate theory. Since the somewhat famous (in local parts) explosion which blew out part of the tower wall, debates are usually held away from the island itself. Such debates include items such as: how to create artificial gravity, biology theory, whether or not to fix the wall (or see if the pieces will eventually somehow fix themselves), just who actually invented lite lanterns, and whether or not the island should be given an official name.

If you want to get to this island you'll need to find some way to travel there as it's a bit further than you can go quickly enough to island jump.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 10:31:38 AM
Sennel's tail wags and his light pulses excitedly. "Airtrip it is then? Docks or private ship?"

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 06:18:45 PM
Putting the stones away, William sighs. He can see that there is no more work for him in this town, so travel to another Island would probably be good. Walking out of the in he looks up at the Dark Motes as he tries to discern where the shadows are moving.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 09:22:58 PM
The winds are blowing towards the inside of the island you're on, but the clouds seem to be getting smaller. Anyone with experience and an eye for weather can tell they're moving away from the island but where to is impossible to say just yet. It also seems to be dispersing, but while 'dawn' has broken, there doesn't seem to be any lite clouds nearby just yet.

Looking around however you can see shadows gathering on the horizon.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 10:10:10 PM
"MMMmmph...blast it" William says as he starts to put a hand to his face to shield a little. Seeing the shadows, he tries his best to discern direction, and heads off to the travel office to setup a ride to the next island in that direction.

Eritreus Dranajek

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:12 PM
OOC: uhm what are the preprequisites to join in on this? im not a godmodder so thats taken care of though my charcterd tend to be dangerous as their powers are strong but they cant control them well at first... if theres powers involved that is.