Author Topic: Islands of Infinity OOC  (Read 58377 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:52 PM
Name: Seigfried Fuchs
Affinity: Precision

Version: 0.28

Description: His default form is an anthropomorphic red fox.  His fur pattern is unremarkable,
being quite standard for his species.  Mostly red-orange, white tail and torso, black paws and
ears.  He has steely blue eyes that always seem focused on something.  His fur is meticulously
brushed, and his clothes are carefully pressed.  His affinity allows him to take on the form
of animals with sharp senses and precise behavior, such as foxes, birds of prey, as well as
orderly, crystalline structures such as ice.  A clockmaker by trade, Seigfried is handy with
mechanical devices and, naturally, carries a pocket watch that he maintains himself.
He is somewhat OCD, liking to keep everything in order and on time.  His fighting style
is as precise as his habits; he aims to quickly incapacitate opponents with minimal effort.
He prefers to fight from a distance, as things get messy in hand to hand combat.  If forced
into close range, his style is marked by precise strikes and swift evasion, preferring not
to get tangled up in a grapple.
Seigfried's preferred weapon is a gun-like device that uses specially designed crystals to
collect ambient aura and project it in the form of coherent light.  each crystal only stores enough
energy for one shot, but they slowly recharge when in proximity of a living creature.  They
do not siphon it directly, to avoid harmful side effects they only collect ambient aura, rather than
siphon it directly.

I'm leaving the previous version up to provide a "version history", so I can keep track of how the character is developing.  {:)

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: July 11, 2010, 11:46:29 PM
Name: William "Nightmare" Shenks
Affinity: Shadows
Base Race: Brown Bat

Description: William for the most part looks like a tallish looking specimen of the race, with its bristled light brown coat, dark wings and ears, and big nose. As with those of his race, his fingers are build into his wings, although on each palm he has two fingers he uses to help grip when standing upright. His fur has been known to shift colors however, usually in doing so to help blend in with nearby shadows. He also has been known to change his "distrinctive markings" as a way to keep clients(and enemies) guessing.

Clothes: For the most part William wears clothes which are unrestrictive. This can be anything from leather pants and a sleeveless shirt, to a simple one piece clothing that wraps around his chest and shoulders. He does not however wear anything that would restrict his ability to move his arms or fly, or that is flashy and would attact light

Affinity: As one who is connected with shadows, William knows how to bend, meld and increase them in small amounts, and uses this ability to help him blend into them, as he creeps along and around any issues that would be in the way of completing a set goal or job. As a cause of this however, and of being a bat in blood, William cannot take bright lights, and very much prefers to stay as deep in the shadows as possible, using his voice as his strongest ability when conversing with others. Physically, the amount of time in darkness has also made it so that William has a lower tolerance that most creatures when it comes to bright lights and thus is easily blinded by it.

Magi-Tech:Ring of Shadow Manipulation. A copper banded ring, with a obsidian gemstone, the ring has the ability to amplify William's shadowy aura, and allows him to use it to manipulate the amount of light and darkness in the area.  The ring can only be used for so long before it runs out of charge however, and he would find himself with his powers somewhat minimalized.

Contacting:The easist way to get in touch with "Nightmare" is to speak to local bar tenders, especially thoes with dark corners without much light, as he is known to visit them from time to time, and he always prefers to use such places for buissness purposes unless the clients is near his of his supposed "home island", to which he has a comfy office to meet in.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 03:43:33 PM by Kenku »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #62 on: July 12, 2010, 04:13:55 AM
Ok, I really want in on this.

Sorry I didn't say anything sooner, but I've been away from home (and in'net) for a little over a week.  I have now returned.

Unfortunately, I'm exhausted.  If anybody catches me on here and I haven't done more with this, feel free to poke me about it.

As an aside, I'm considering playing counterpart to Siegfried and claiming Disorder as my affinity, but I'm not about to commit to anything after twenty-something consecutive hours of wakefulness.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 11:40:12 AM
Well I'm not sure what you mean by 'home island' if you're perfectly willing to hang out in bars. Notes on your ring... (nice choice btw) when I said the light has to go somewhere, I didn't mean nearby. Generated light and banished light tend to go to specific destinations that are probably far away. As for the shadow bending thing... really that's just the opposite of a witchlight and anyone could do that if they actually thought of it (which admittedly most don't). That's why I gave you the ring, to have an advantage over the others. With that ring you can do the whole shadow thing for free. Finally, you can't overload your ring, but you CAN run it out of energy. Also, what do you mean by 'distinctive markings'?

As for you Dragyn.... Kekekekeke, I've snagged another one! ^.^ Just keep in mind I think Traxer has been eying this with 'scavenger' in mind which is close enough to 'disorder' that it would also be a bit of a counterpart to 'precision'.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:44 PM
Hmm, still fiddling around with character concepts so here's another idea I'm tinkering with:

Roland Vale (Or still Sennel...)
Affinity: Feytouched

Most of the time he prefers to be in an anthro fox form, similar colouration to Siegfried but colour around the paws and patterns in the fur tend to be changed with his mood (this is a concious thing). When he assumes an elemental form, he prefers to become one taking the shape of a feral fox or other animal (so, like, fire elemental = firefox). Has a tendency towards the fantastic in his cosmetic choices (for example, if he adds wings to a form they're more likely to be butterfly than bird) and dislikes blending in. One of the main drawbacks of his affinity is that he has extreme difficulty with any 'normal' forms (pink cat being easier than normal cat for example). He also has a vain streak, so he tries to look as 'magical' as possible and hates being shown up. Carries a staff that he uses like a conductor's baton while casting and its appearance/composition changes with his mood (again, concious action) but its original shape is a carved piece of maple. He is also sensitive to auras as a result of his affinity, but still can't see them. He becomes agitated in areas with very little aura activity and the exact opposite occurs in areas of extremely heightened aura activity (basically, he gets drunk if he's in an area of concentrated aura activity, like a magitech workshop.) This latter effect does not stop him from gravitating towards areas of aura activity, though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:33:57 PM by Jonas »

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 12:54:58 PM
On home island: Mostly that he resides at one island as his home place/HQ/Office, and if your close, then he might speak to you there. Sort of customary(if comfertable) meeting place. But yea, almost all the time, hes at a local bar, using the bartenters as tip men for jobs.

On Distinctive Markings: Scars, splashes a color in fur, eye color, facial traits and so forth. Something a person in their base for might keep to help make them easy to identify. In the case of William, he always seems to alter thoes features at least a small amount when talking to clients, as a simple way to make it harder for him to be indetified.

Ill make the other edits now.

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 03:15:43 PM
The character has been formatted into a more organized presentation, and a considerable amount of description has been added for flavor.  The militia service is mostly superficial, added as an explanation about what a clockmaker would be doing with a rifle.

Name: Seigfried Fuchs
Affinity: Precision

Version: 0.35 (RC1)

Description: His default form is an anthropomorphic red fox.  His fur pattern is unremarkable,
being quite standard for his species.  Mostly red-orange, white tail and front torso, black paws and
ears.  He has steely blue eyes that always seem focused on something.  His fur is meticulously
brushed, and his clothes are carefully pressed.  He is a clockmaker by trade, but he also
has served some time with the local militia.

Clothes: Seigfried's clothes are typical of a middle-class citizen.  He wears a dark gray
vest with brass buttons over a white shirt, and brown trousers. He also wears black boots
that he keeps meticulously polished.  He keeps a pocket watch in his right vest pocket,
with the chain attached to the third button from the top.  He carries a small briefcase
containing his clockmaking tools, for when he's called out to make a repair, and his aura
rifle on a sling over his shoulder.

Affinity details: His affinity allows him to take on the form of animals with sharp senses
and precise behavior, such as foxes, birds of prey, as well as orderly, crystalline structures
such as ice.  His fighting style is as precise as his habits; he aims to quickly incapacitate
opponents with minimal effort.  He prefers to fight from a distance, as things get messy in
hand to hand combat.  If forced into close range, his style is marked by precise strikes and swift
evasion, preferring not to get tangled up in a grapple.

Equipment:
     Aura Rifle: Seigfried's preferred weapon is the aura rifle; a gun-like device that uses specially
designed crystals to collect ambient aura and project it in the form of coherent light.  each
crystal only stores enough energy for one shot, but they slowly recharge when in proximity of a
living creature.  To avoid harmful side effects they only collect ambient aura, rather than siphon it
directly.  He currently has six crystals.
     Clockmaking tools: Seigfried carries an assortment of clockmaking tools in a small briefcase.
These include optics, torsion wrenches, screwdrivers, replacement springs, an assortment of
gears, calipers and other measuring devices, a small bottle of oil, a cloth, and other assorted
tools.  He can repair most clocks with these, and potentially work on clockwork-based devices.
However, if extensive replacements are required he would have to take the clock to his shop,
or, if the clock is too large to move, get a wagon to bring the parts there.
     Pocket Watch: An ordinary pocketwatch in a brass case, which he maintains himself.  He
takes particular pride in its excellent condition and accuracy.

Location: He set up his shop in his house, with the main room dedicated to dealing with customers.
His bedroom is in the back, and if you look at the right angle you can actually see into the
kitchen from the shop's counter.  He can also be seen volunteering with the local militia at
times, usually on weekends.  If a clock is broken though, he also makes housecalls.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 05:04:49 PM
Hmm...to be completely honest, I don't really remember what I was thinking about when I said disorder. 

This is why I tend to avoid making posts whilst tired.

Hmm...I think I really feel like playing something chaotic, rather than disorganized, anyway.  Not Chaos, though, that seems far too broad and powerful.

I'll give it more thought and come back to it.  Feel free to offer suggestions.

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: July 12, 2010, 05:12:50 PM
Hmm...to be completely honest, I don't really remember what I was thinking about when I said disorder.  

This is why I tend to avoid making posts whilst tired.

Hmm...I think I really feel like playing something chaotic, rather than disorganized, anyway.  Not Chaos, though, that seems far too broad and powerful.

I'll give it more thought and come back to it.  Feel free to offer suggestions.

Choas isn't so much power as it is general, and can be branched off different ways. I would attempt to try to find something more specific like say Chance, or Confusion, or Thrill and always remeber that your affinity is a double edge sword.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 05:37:46 PM by Kenku »

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #69 on: July 12, 2010, 05:38:38 PM
Eh, I didn't mean it was any stronger than any other possibility, just that it would give me too much freedom in form and action.  Not all strength is brute strength, after all.

Actually, I rather like the idea of chance.  I've ever been fond of playing the gambler.

I don't gamble in the real world, though.

Maybe what I really want is Luck.  Seems much more closely related to what I'm after...

Hmm...let me think...what sort of forms would Luck work with...

-Could go with raccoons or coyote, if I'm playing the "Trickster gods" angle...
-Rabbits, or rabbits feet, for the luck affiliation, though that might be a stretch...
-Crickets, the Chinese good luck charm...
-Elephants, considered good luck in India.  And, of course, there's the matter of the infamous White Elephant...
-Goldfish/Koi, who are oft associated with good luck.
-Cats, good luck in Egypt.  Bad luck if they happen to be black in many European cultures, though.
-Water, esp. running water, is lucky.  I doubt any form I choose based on water could be held long, though.  It's a bit of a stretch, methinks.

So, what say youse?

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: July 12, 2010, 06:55:54 PM
Eh, I didn't mean it was any stronger than any other possibility, just that it would give me too much freedom in form and action.  Not all strength is brute strength, after all.

Actually, I rather like the idea of chance.  I've ever been fond of playing the gambler.

I don't gamble in the real world, though.

Maybe what I really want is Luck.  Seems much more closely related to what I'm after...

Hmm...let me think...what sort of forms would Luck work with...

-Could go with raccoons or coyote, if I'm playing the "Trickster gods" angle...
-Rabbits, or rabbits feet, for the luck affiliation, though that might be a stretch...
-Crickets, the Chinese good luck charm...
-Elephants, considered good luck in India.  And, of course, there's the matter of the infamous White Elephant...
-Goldfish/Koi, who are oft associated with good luck.
-Cats, good luck in Egypt.  Bad luck if they happen to be black in many European cultures, though.
-Water, esp. running water, is lucky.  I doubt any form I choose based on water could be held long, though.  It's a bit of a stretch, methinks.

So, what say youse?

Seems reasonable to me. They may not be symbols in the setting but it stands to reason that with an infinite number of islands there must be SOME that mimic these cultures. I also guess that the downside of a luck affinity is that it sometimes comes at the expense of another person?

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: July 12, 2010, 09:20:00 PM
Oooo, a luck affinity! These are fun. Okay, if that's what you're doing, than here's how it works: Random chance has a tendency to be no so very random with you. This can manifest in different ways such as everything alligning just right for you to make the perfect shot. However, the other side of the sword is that luck can be bad as well as good. The longer something has been in your presense (touched by your aura basically), the more it will tend towards the unlikely. A hat that you used to wear frequently but blew off in the wind one day might show up again riding an unlikely savior, or perhaps upon the head of someone who wants yours. Basically your character is a wild card and you can never be certain just what will happen around him.

Taking into account the bad luck angle, you'd also get things considered to be ill omens. The other side of cats for example (so you wouldn't have to have gold thingies adorning your cat shapes), as well as crows/ravens and lightning. You'd have to be pretty unlikely to get hit by lightning after all. Just keep in mind that the luck slate of your current form will probably effect the kind of luck you bring about.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #72 on: July 12, 2010, 10:45:05 PM
"Strange and bizarre things happen to you with alarming frequency. You are the one with whom demons will stop and chat. Magic items with disturbing properties will find their way to you. The only talking dog on 20th-century Earth will come to you with his problems. Dimensional gates sealed for centuries will crack open just so that you can be bathed in the energies released... or perhaps the entities on the other side will invite you to tea. Nothing lethal will happen to you, at least not immediately, and occasionally some weirdness will be beneficial. But most of the time it will be terribly, terribly inconvenient."
— "Weirdness Magnet" disadvantage from GURPS

In other words, you're an RPG character. :P

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: July 12, 2010, 11:50:33 PM
Yeah... something like that I guess.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Geo Holms

• Raccoon with Hat - Will Travel
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:33 AM
Hoping I can get something conjured on the marrow, I'm still totally being drawn in by this. I am still tempted by 'scavenger' but in reading this thread, I'm somewhat intrigued by a character unwittingly drawn into the affinity of "death." But I shall think on that...