Author Topic: Islands of Infinity OOC  (Read 59001 times)

Fen

• Secret Wizard
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • For the glory of the sammich!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 10:56:59 AM
I would say there also needs to be some sort of risk/reward method with the element forms, and some limitations to avoid making them powerhouses of pure destruction and the like...

for example, a fire element form when put out means you pass out and/or die (pending on tone of the RP) and getting cracked in a rock based form means retaining that injury when going back to other forms, as a bone fracture or something similar. Of course jumping in water as a giant rock man means you'll sink, and even if rocks don't need to breathe, you'd have to move on to a form that can swim to get back up if there isn't a slope. Fall too far and you might not have enough time to get there before you drown.

I'm not sure what would happen to a water element form if it got evaporated, but I suppose it would put you in a form of stasis until you got enough water around you to re-form.

as for which elements may be used, I think there shouldn't be a limitation on them so long as they're reasonable... no flying rocks made of fire, aright? But you could also use something like steel, lightning, plants... whatever.

(this is all just speculation though until we decide what to use)

When was the last time you hugged your sammich?

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 12:22:58 PM
Of course, in BESM, you could actually do any of those things.

Note that I'm not encouraging you to use BESM.  After all, Fen just said we didn't want flying rocks made of fire, yeah?

Personally, I'm thinking there needs to be risk/reward for all shapeshifting.  It can't be a be all/end all, or it's no fun.  Even if the only risk involved is the basic "Ahh!  A monster!" response from the townspeople, there has to be something.

((As an aside, I always assumed a water element form would simply be forced to revert if evaporated, regardless of how inconvenient that might be.))

By the looks of it, regardless of how you choose to run this thing, it's gonna' be interesting.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
  • Intuition strikes again!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 02:54:38 AM
Well the water one is easy. If evaporated, you would be forced into a steam elemental form. Except less cohesive. Kind of like what Dragyn said about stasis, but the idea is you'd be in danger of dispersing beyond recovery. With an effort of will you can keep yourself from drifting further apart and could even theoretically pull yourself back together with enough willpower. Similarly being frozen renders you immobile until you remelt yourself. Same thing with willpower applies for getting yourself moving. For case to case basis I will final decision on just what happens in such cases, though they will rarely be fatal. Fire doused with water would not die but be more like extremely low blood pressure, feeling faint and weak.

On another note, I'm actually kind of surprised by how many non-animal examples I'm getting here. (Woah, totally forgot I just said this last week XD) So here's what I'm going to do. I won't make forms unlimited, but I won't limit to just a few. Basically each character will get an affinity and can take any form so long as it's related to that affinity. I may be lenient on unrelated stuff, but antiaffinity would be a complete no-no.

General examples
  • Life affinity for example might be able to take the form of any animal or plant (in particular ones you'd find in a forrest), but not anything like fire, water, lightning, etc. Anything related to death (bones, scavengers, poison, etc would be right out.)
  • Fire similarly would be able to do fire (obviously), lava, sand, most desert creatures, steam, etc. However such an affinity would not be able to touch anything having to do with cold.
  • You don't have to choose typical elements either. You could choose an emotion like fury (and always have an attitude problem) which would let you go with the more violent elements such as fire and lightning as well as more violent animals such as tiger, shark, etc. Trying to be a bunny would probably give you a heart attack though.
  • Storm would give rain, lightning, snow, wind, and also birds of prey, as well as a few other things I can't think of just now.
  • You could even try linking with concepts or archetypes such as freedom or wizard.

I highly encourage creativity, but I also highly encourage reasonability, so you can come up with just about anything, explain the limits and possibilities and I'll let you know if it's okay. If you try something in the RP itself that I think doesn't work, I'll let you know and you'll just have to try again.

The RP itself...

My RP is going to be a little less strict than DV's as I will be encouraging you to create your own interactions and environments to an extent. I'll shepherd from the side with plot devices, events, and maybe a character or two. I'm not quite sure how this will work but if need be I can change the way I do this later.

As for the environment itself, I'm going to say everyone can shapeshift, but not necessarily well. It depends on how in tune you are with your affinity. The less in tune you are, the less you'll be able to do anything. On the other hand, the more in tune you are, the more affected you are by it. Things that oppose your affinity will make you uneasy and may even harm you if you're not careful. You can always tell someone is strongly in tune with their affinity by a kind of aura they have around them. You can tell they're not quite normal. If your character is like this, I WILL expect them to be strongly influenced by it.

There, I've created the general science/setting. Now just for a place, a time period, and a plot. Time period I'm thinking is definitely not going to be space age. I'm used to this sort of magic happening in a medievalish setting, but it may be interesting to see how it plays out in a more modern era.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:56:57 AM by Stormkit »

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:17 PM
interesting. I like it.
Though, why wouldn't water elements be included in a "life" affinity, since they're one of the bases for life?

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 12:38:25 PM
This is sounding rather fun, and I already have an idea of a concept in my head for it :)

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 01:16:37 PM
I'm up for it

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 02:19:18 PM
I'm up for it, as well.

I think it's good to keep water and life separate, since strictly speaking, all the base elements could be considered the bases for life, and we don't want to create a loophole giving any element too much versatility.

Hmm...I'll have to consider my concept before committing to anything, but this should be fun.

Fen

• Secret Wizard
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 03:39:22 PM
I wouldn't say fire or lightning is a building block of life. Stuff can regrow where fire has burned something to ash, sure, but fire wasn't necessary for life to be there in the first place.

anyway, it sounds really cool and I'm up for it either way

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 11:40:19 AM
True, but earth is often associated with healing as well. Air is critical to life also. All in all I think including this under life would be overpowering it just a little. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are for forms that have nothing to do with an affinity. My current thought is that I'll allow it with power handicaps.

To expand the 'life' example, while theoretically being able to take the form of any living thing, I would actually advise away from scavengers such as ravens, rats, vultures, etc. But on the other hand an earthen golem might be okay under a few conditions such as having more trouble holding the form. This constant distraction would lead to a harder time thinking, being weaker, and slower reactions. (Yes weaker. Have you ever tried lifting heavy weights when you were really hungry or tired? You can't really exert as much effort.)

Additionally I'd require a flavor to tie in with the affinity such as the earthen golem being bound together with plants, whether moss or weeds or grass would be optional. An air affinity might be able to take the form of a wolf which isn't too close to air, but also isn't antagonistic like a mole or even perhaps an armadillo, cow, or sloth which don't live underground but also aren't particularly mobile. Aside from the aforementioned handicaps, such a wolf would have to be always moving or fidgeting, unable to keep still. Or perhaps alternatively it would have fur that never stops blowing in a wind that isn't there.

Needless to say (I hope) is that such unrelated forms can only be done by those with a strong affinity. Those with weaker affinity have enough trouble taking associated forms let alone those not so related. They'll have one of two handicaps; either they will be able to take any form related to their (weak) affinity but will have the handicap trouble mentioned above in a slightly weaker manner, or they will have no such handicap but be able to access not as many forms of their affinity. This handicap is a bit weaker than that of the strong affinity peoples because they already have the other handicap of being influenced by their affinity as you should all remember.

I think the next step is to decide what era this should take place in. Anyone have any suggestions aside from medieval or modern? Please give also a reason why you prefer one over the other.

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 11:53:52 AM
Pre-Medieval, like early Egypt or Persia, because we don't see enough of those

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 12:15:17 PM
From the Tvorsk's Quote File:
(11:08:25) D._Ein: As it happens, I was in this very position in an RP before, where I controlled one twenty-foot-tall Egyptian robot (don't ask), and everyone was against me

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:36 PM
That sounds like an interesting idea, although I dunno it might drain concepts some. In the end, although I have no preference if the theme works with it.

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 04:27:32 PM
I'm willing to go with whatever, having already played and/or been the GM in a wide variety of settings.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #28 on: June 19, 2010, 05:41:36 PM
Hmm I dont have a specific perference though I'm less familiar with most pre-medieval cultures and such, so I might need like some stimulus material to get my brain going on concepts! ]:)

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Stormkit

• Avid Bookworm Cat
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: June 19, 2010, 07:57:20 PM
An Egyptian setting seems interesting, but I'd like a bit more of a varied local. Not everything in the desert. Or if it IS going to be a single location... not in the desert >.>. I don't really like those places. I will start looking into alternate settings for the far past and see what I come up with. Perhaps an alternate plane of reality. I have an idea or two I'd like to chase a little further before saying anything about them...

Of the four elements,
None is predominant.
Of the four seasons,
None lasts forever.