Author Topic: Magic Primer (WIP)  (Read 10744 times)

Creator-Unreal

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:48 PM
So, after finally getting my desire to write again really recently thanks to some people in the chat (you know who you are) I'm finally starting to write a story in the universe I've been making for almost my entire life.

Right now I only have the prologue done but I'm planning on working on the next chapter either tomorrow or do it on a weekly basis to not get burned out. Also I've uploaded both versions of it (.doc and .rtf) just in case one doesn't work for some reason.

As for what its about, well I'll leave that for the story to say as it develops.

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 08:07:07 PM
Well, it's certainly an interesting start. 

Base.  The base of all magic.  Nifty.  Sounds familiar though, so I don't think you're the first to use it.

I'll hold off for now, pending further updates.

Creator-Unreal

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:49:54 PM
Alright I finished up chapter 1 now, its another short one but I'm hoping in the next few chapters to actually have them be substantially longer than this. Once again I'm posting in two different formats.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:05 AM
Hmm! an Interesting world you have there CU!

I'm guessing our main character will be some what of a plot device to tell us more about the magic of the world?

Hehe sorry I cant say much yet.. its always kinda hard when the story comes in parts and all that ]:P

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Creator-Unreal

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 12:43:39 PM
Although Unreal is the most qualified to talk about magic I'm going to be trying to have the magic system be revealed though other people and ways as well. This particular story may or may not touch on all 42 elements. It isn't like this is going to be the only story set in this world.

Also this post has chapter 2 in it.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:39:23 PM
Hehe! I managed to read Chapters 1 and 2 on the train today! Its quite good!

Though I found your description of Natalia's height somewhat dry in a way, more of a run down of a police report than a description.. if anything you could have 'shown' it instead of saying she was 5'9".. like perhaps comparing it to the other crew members or something. I knew the height but I couldn't quite get a sense of if she was 'bigger' or 'smaller' (in height and personality) compared to the others.

Anyway it was quite an interesting read! *pokes to write chapter 3 soon*  ]:)

Edit: yea.. I think you need to try to 'describe'/'show' things to us more, rather than just 'telling it' like.. talking about the Battle-Airship it sorta poofs from the edge of the wasteland to like where Unreal is.. you probably could have gotten a lot of good time there to describe Natalia, her motivations and how she managed to find Unreal in the ruins (and how she got there so fast)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:47:44 PM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Virmir

• Chaotic Neutral Cartoon Gray Fox Mage
  • Administrator
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • These sorts of things happen.
    • View Profile
    • virmir.com
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:44 PM
I rather like where this is headed.  A few things though.

The intro is a little rough to read because you describe things in too much detail.  The spires are quite interesting to picture, but when you get down to the man's shoes you're going a bit too far. [;)  Also, just plain description can get a little boring without anything happening, so you want to avoid doing this right off the bat.  You're trying to hook the reader in your intro, and you'll have a lot of trouble doing that with just descriptions.

The best way to describe something is to do it as a way to embellish actions, rather than just pull out chunks description and set it aside.  For example, "The house was red, had a black roof, and was surrounded by brown grass," is very boring. "Looking around, he recognized the red house immediately-- he had helped apply the black tar to the roof last summer after all.  He stepped into the front yard and felt the brown grass crunch beneath his toes," -- This is way better because the description flows along side the action.  There's no separate description and action parts.  Just something to think about. [:)

Beyond that, I found this a rather enjoyable read. Unreal dodging the cannon blasts and flying through the air like that was good fun, and of course I love Natalia.  Best of luck reading this and I look forward to the next part. [:)

[fox] Virmir