Author Topic: Condition Red Rules and Character List  (Read 12235 times)

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
on: March 21, 2010, 08:03:10 PM
Condition Red

It was a nice run, I might attempt something else in this universe later.  I'll probably try to set up a faster pace and make it more action-oriented next time, to make it easier for people to maintain interest.
--Digital Vulpine

Condition Red is an RP that started in a (fictional) top-secret laboratory in 1992.  There, an experiment with the Subspace Transporter went horribly wrong and transported several people into an alternate timeline where the free world is under siege from a global Communist power.  It is 2015, and with the Communists encroaching on American soil the battle is getting desperate.  NATO forces, mostly American, are dug in along the Rocky mountains, where the rough terrain, harsh winter, and robust Allied air defense have ground the Communist war machine to a halt.   People can still join the RP, as long as they can think up a way for them to get in contact with the current party, and a reason to tag along.

Species:  Default is Human, but the world of 2015 has introduced incredible advances in genetics that allow for the creation of half-human hybrids, though their success has been limited to mammals.  No mythological creatures.  Hybridization is fairly commonplace in 2015, whether for cosmetic purposes or to gain an advantage from the creature's natural abilities.

Weapons: Everybody can have a personal weapon, but only Soldiers are required to be armed.  In most cases this would be some type of handgun.  Soldiers, however, are issued your choice of one main weapon (a rifle or SMG), one sidearm (a pistol), four grenades, and a knife.  The weapons may be accessorized to your liking.  The  grenades may be replaced by 2 C4 packs,1 antitank mine, or 1 Light Antitank Weapon (such as the AT-4).  You will find many weapons, and tools that can be used as weapons, over the course of the RP.

Example weapons:
M11 magnum: The M11 is a .45 caliber, single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated handgun.  There is a wide selection of ammunition available to the M11, including ball, hollow-point, high-explosive armor piercing, and incendiary.  The standard magazine for the M11 holds 20 rounds, but it can also load the M6A3’s 50-round magazine.

M23A2:  The M23A2 is a gas-operated, magazine-fed, selective-fire assault rifle.  It fires 5.56x49mm ammunition from a 45-round magazine.  It is capable of semi-automatic, 3-round burst, and fully automatic fire, and is compatible with a wide variety of accessories.  It’s a reliable, effective all-around weapon capable of firing 950 rounds per minute.  There is a wide variety of ammunition available for the M23A2, including standard, tracer, steel-core, fragmenting, micro-flechette, and depleted uranium.

You can make up your own weapons along similar veins, subject to approval, or use real-life 21st century weapons as well.

Factions:
NATO: These are the good guys, and will often be fighting along side you.  If you build up rep with them they'll even sell you stuff, and if you work for them then obviously they issue your equipment, give you your orders, and in some cases you can call in various types of support.  NATO also maintains a fledgling space force, unfortunately it's not helping them much as they never got around to weaponizing  their orbital assets before the War started, and they are having a hard time gathering the resources necessary to do so now...

Militia: The "Militia" is a generic term for local anti-communist civilian forces.  Generally working closely with NATO, the Militia tends to be less polished and at the same time more subtle in their operations.  They don't have as many fancy toys as NATO, despite receiving supplies from them, but they have an impressive black market and espionage capabilities.  Get on good terms with the Militia and they could get you Commie weapons, or even things even NATO doesn't officially have, for a price...

GCA: The Global Communist Alliance (referred to as the Commies, NATO is technically "The Allies") is a conglomeration of all the world's Communist countries.  Although they call themselves an "alliance", all decision-making authority has been centralized to a single Inner Party.  Nobody has seen the Inner Party, nobody knows how many members there are, but everyone knows that their official Moscow headquarters is a facade... so where are they, really?

What to expect: Time travel, war, puzzles, paradoxes, and the unexpected.

How to post: Post in third-person, as if you are a narrator.  Use [Name] Says, "" for speech, describe actions in a narrative fashion, and use (()) for Out Of Character.  Each post must contain at least one action, and occupy about 20 seconds of in-game time or less.  Speech does not count toward the time limit, but that will change if it's abused.  If you do or say something that would require the response of another player, your post ends there.  
      You can only control your own character, unless you have specific permission from the person who's character you're managing.  If you have much to say but nothing to do, then twitch an ear, scratch your chin, swish your tail or gee whiz, do something.  
     You cannot declare the results of your actions.  That's the GM's job.  Thanks to Geary for reminding me to put this up.  {:)

Example: Sarge peeks around the corner to see who's shooting at him.  He shoulders his rifle and yells to Griff, "Griff!  Go out there and see if you can draw them out!  I'll cover you from here!" ((he cannot do anything that would require knowing the enemy's position, or Griff's answer, because he must now wait for the GM to tell him what he sees, and for Griff to say "No way!  You're just trying to get me killed again!"  He can, however, push Griff into the line of fire before he has a chance to protest, but that would be impolite.  {;) ))

General: Be reasonable, be polite, and have fun.  

Joining: Fill out the application below.  Be as detailed or vague as you like.  If you'd like to join but can't manage it right now, go ahead and post your character and we'll work you in later.  If you discover this later or just decide you want to join after it's started, PM the character to me and we'll find a way to fit you into the storyline. (hint: the Background section really helps with this!) One character per player.

Fill out the following application to join/reserve a spot.

*Name: (title) (*First) (middle) (*Last) (suffix)

*Class: what's your job?  This helps decide your character's abilities, description, and equipment.

*Description: Species, appearance, personality, skills, and anything else that makes your character unique.

*Background: How did you get here?  What's your past?  How did you get that tail?

*Equipment: What are you carrying?

This is actually my first time running a forum RP, so advice is welcome.  {:)

Edit: Condition Red is starting on Friday, April 2.  Signups will remain open, even during the RP, but it'll be much easier if you get in before Friday!  Good luck!  {:P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:30:44 AM by Digital Vulpine »

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Geary

• Pyro
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:23:43 PM
You should probably make a set of rules and guidelines as to what is appropriate within the RP and the minimum length of posts to prevent things like one-liners and pages filled with very little material.

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:57:25 PM
Character list:

Jake Tate (Geary)
                 Andrew Zaner (AlexShrub)
                 Desmond Jefferson (2dogsandaDJ)
                 Cosmo Tellurian (Stormkit)

This thread is being converted into the Rules and Character List thread, and I would appreciate having it moved to the Random Topics section (or RP section if one is added.   {;) )  

I will put four names per post, with corresponding character sheets  available in RTF format.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:42:49 PM by Digital Vulpine »

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:11:15 PM
Bleh, I had it formatted like that for forum use... Could you take out the
Code: [Select]
[b][/b]?

* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:11:49 PM
Character List (continued):

Mannik Faol (Fenrs)
        Adin Cooper (KaiAdin)
        Ardusk Trei (Dragyn)
        ?????

That's right, signups are still open.  Most new characters will likely have to come from the new universe though, and to avoid giving away too much to the people already in-game (who must learn the hard way, mwahahahahaha) information about the alternate timeline can be obtained via PM.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:21:00 PM by Digital Vulpine »

AlexShrub

• Neutral-Good Congressman
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Only 23 people have died, and many desrved it.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:39:07 AM
Darn you and your Dramatic Irony!

Now crime only goes up if you don't turn the graph upside-down. Turn it upside-down, and it has halved. Halved! Under me, Alex Shrub.

Vote Shrub! You'll get richer, and won't feel guilty about it!

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 05:28:31 AM
gee... Since this thing is on a hiatus.. I'm half tempted to post my character sheet up XP. I liked the backstory I made for my char too XP  

Edit: aww heck with it.. I wanna show it off ]:P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:33:43 AM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:51:22 AM
* Geary pokes Kai to use a file type everyone can read, especially the monochrome kitty with Microsoft Office 2003

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:15 AM
* Geary pokes Kai to use a file type everyone can read, especially the monochrome kitty with Microsoft Office 2003

Oh Phooey! X3 Here you go! ]:)

Dice Rolls
  • June 08, 2010, 08:17:39 AM: Kai! (hidden)
    1d50 => 1d50 [17] (17) = 17

Dragyn

• View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:45:53 AM
Heh.  Nice.

I was slated to be in this, but I never wrote up a whole character sheet...

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 06:34:32 PM
Heh... I guess Posting my char sheet was premature then X3 ah well!

Eritreus Dranajek

• Crimson Flag Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 02:04:16 PM
Hey there. Was wondering if its too late to join in or not? ive got a couple cahrrys who can fit into this type of character limiting n storyline well enough. as their both combattants with genetic modifications to them.

their one male and one female

Seth Davenport and Jesse-Ann Heckroth

davenport is a nanocyborg so doesnt quite work here but heckroth is fused with a red fox, shes a human woman with fox eyes, fangs, clawlike nails, tribal tattoos, fox ears and a fox tail aswell as heightened senses more attuned toa  foxes than a humans.

so yeah jsut wondering if i can pop in ^^

Digital Vulpine

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 03:12:20 PM
Well, I'm afraid you can't "just pop in" due to the way I'm handling admittance, but yes sign-ups are still open.  Depending on how you set your character up, even after you're accepted you'll probably have to wait a while before you can actually be in "for real".  It's as much work for me as it is an inconvenience for you, but I believe doing it this way contributes to a more dynamic, well-knit narrative.

If you want to apply, write up a character sheet and send it in via PM.  I''ll likely send some questions back to you, there's not a single character yet who hasn't been edited at least a little. :P  You can also ask questions about the setting and I'll answer them as best I can, and I'll be updating the top post over time to try and get useful information up there for new people.

I can tell you right now that nanos don't exist in this RP, so that's out.  Make sure you've read the posting guidelines, and while this probably won't effect your chances of getting in I would appreciate it if you would proof-read your posts for spelling and punctuation.  It's just a suggestion though, and I understand if English is not your first language. 

As far as questions, you can post them here, send a PM, or poke me in the Chat.  Welcome to Crimson Flag, and good luck!  {:)