Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons Group  (Read 23971 times)

Jonas

• Writer Fox, Glasses Fox, Book Fox, Bouncy Fox!
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • Yip!
    • View Profile
on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:34 AM
Thinking about starting an online DnD game via play-by-post. Will need to do some more looking into it but if anyone is interested please say so. If this does go through, we would be using 4th edition rules, which are simpler than 3.5 and more friendly to new people.

This link is to download the handbooks http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3100be6fd9732e0308f8df73f2072ed61b3c8bd5390d5979b99f3f1679ee9294The Player's Handbook contains rules, guide to character creation, etc. and the PH2 contains some extra races and classes. I advise reading PH1 first. Character sheets can be downloaded from the wizardis of the coast DnD website. You can also find digital character sheets through a google search.

I've added the Monster Manual to the link. While not needed, there are additional race options at the back of the book. For the record, the Shifters in PH2 will be used instead of the ones in the MM if there are differences present.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:40:56 PM by Jonas »

"Technically speaking, phoenixes are actually pretty flammable." --Donnie

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:53 AM
I would be fine with either 3.5 or 4E. If 3.5 although, what books are allowed, and if I felt like being nutty, could I try Foshu's race?

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 11:16:33 AM
I'd go with 4.0, it's much easier and, from the games I've seen my bro playing, much faster.

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 03:39:29 PM
I would be fine with either 3.5 or 4E. If 3.5 although, what books are allowed, and if I felt like being nutty, could I try Foshu's race?

I have no clue what a Foshu is. Ideally I'd like to find a way to blend the 3.5 spells with 4E rules to make creative decisions easier. However, unless I am able to find a ruleset that has effectively done it, I'll probably just go with 4E.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:33:31 PM
We could play Werewolf: The Forsaken, with a few edits, seeing as it's entirely text and dice based.

* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:41 PM
If you can send me the info I can look into it. In the meantime I've drawn up a list of the classes I'd be permitting for DnD. These descriptions aren't the best, but they do give a general (and dramatic) idea.

Roles: All classes fall under one of these roles. These descriptions are far from absolute, and some classes tend towards multiple roles.

Controller: Powers frequently have more than one target. Possesses abilities that weaken, confuse, or obstruct.
Defender: Highest defences and health. Possesses abilities that make it dangerous for enemies to attack other targets. No slouch in the offense department either.
Leader: Able to defend, heal, and inspire allies while weakening foes to single them out.
Striker: Highest single target damage. Uses mobility, trickery, or magic to manoeuvre across the battlefield and single out enemies.

Classes: These descriptions focus mainly on combat abilities. All classes possess useful talents and utility powers that can function out of battle. As a general rule, most classes with leader as one of their roles possesses some form of healing ability, though some are superior to others.

Avenger: A striker that leans towards controller. This holy assassin uses divine power to methodically pursue its target and punish any enemy foolish enough to get in the way.

Barbarian: A striker that can lean towards either defender or leader. This tribal champion harnesses inner power and primal rage to channel the fury of nature into powerful melee attacks. Able to use a variety of rage abilities to acquire a wide range of buffs.

Bard: A leader that leans towards controller. Uses inspiring song, personality, and arcane wit to empower allies, dazzle foes, and support a variety of actions.

Cleric: A leader. Channels the power of faith to shield, heal, and empower allies while weakening enemies. Has the most powerful healing spells, but is no slouch when threatened.

Druid: Controller that leans towards either leader or striker. Can use primal power to become a beast for control at close range, or remain humanoid and cast spells to hinder or support from a distance.

Fighter: A defender that can lean towards striker. Uses martial skill with a wide variety of weapons to contain enemies in melee and to punish them for turning away. Also quite tough and resilient.

Invoker: A controller that leans towards leader or striker. A divine spellcaster that channels innate power, this holy wizard smites enemies from afar and can even summon angels at higher levels.

Paladin: A defender that leans toward leader. Uses divine power and spiritual strength to issue bold challenges and guard allies. Possesses limited healing ability.

Ranger: A striker. Specializing in archery or two-handed weapons, these masters of mobility can weave around enemies to devastating effect.

Rogue: A striker. These cunning combatants work best when the enemy has a weakness to exploit, and will use trickery and skill to make sure there is always one present.

Shaman: A leader that can lean towards either defender or striker. These primal channelers use their spirit companion to bolster and heal allies, and can summon other spirits to attack their enemies.

Sorcerer: A striker that leans toward a controller. By drawing on innate wild, dragon, storm, or astral magic flowing through their veins, these powerful spellcasters use the arcane to devastating effect. Fireballs, lightning, ice and more, raw power courses through these individuals and begs to be released.

Warden: A defender that can lean towards controller or striker. Draws on primal powers to strike enemies and guard allies, while also imbuing their forms with aspects of nature. 

Warlock: A striker. By forging pacts with infernal, fae, cosmic, or ancient powers, these eldritch spellcasters use their powers to harm, weaken, and hamper their targets while using flight, teleportation, and invisibility to remain safe.

Warlord: A leader. These martial marshals are able to rally allies into tactical positions and empower their attacks while doing the opposite to their enemies.

Wizard: A controller. These versatile spellcasters use their knowledge of the arcane to act across large areas. Their spells can put enemies to sleep, or bathe them in fire.

AlexShrub

• Neutral-Good Congressman
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
  • Only 23 people have died, and many desrved it.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 06:52:48 PM
I think I'll pass, the complexity of not having it in front of me might 'splode my head.
Anyway, I've never played it before.

If they make a Torchlight multiplayer (people have already made little proof-o-concept mods) and I think that might be able to join the little EE thingies some of ya do.

Have fun though, too bad I don't understand DnD [:(

Now crime only goes up if you don't turn the graph upside-down. Turn it upside-down, and it has halved. Halved! Under me, Alex Shrub.

Vote Shrub! You'll get richer, and won't feel guilty about it!

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 08:58:32 PM
If this is ending up 4E, Ill try my hand at a Shaman agian! Also to better explain, Foshu, who is a somewhat known artist on FA(mostly for tame vore) made of a fennec like fox morph race for D&D 3.5. Being that isn't the path although never mind.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:42 PM
We could play Werewolf: The Forsaken, with a few edits, seeing as it's entirely text and dice based.

I've looked at the link you gave me and while W:F is certainly interesting and looks like it would be fun to play, it's a bit too "gritty" for my taste. If given the choice I'd prefer swords and sorcery to modern world with sinister spirits.

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:36 PM
Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I'm fairly lenient when it comes to making aesthetic/flavour changes.

Dragyn

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Canonfodder
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:18 AM
Not gonna' commit myself yet, but I'm certainly interested.

As an aside, how are you working racial choices?  Is everybody assuming human for the bonus feat, or are we actually going with the standard races? (and on that note, what about Monster Manual races)

Though, if it's simple you're after, probably best to stick with the standards...

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 12:20:36 PM
I'm allowing the Player's Handbook and PH2 races. If you want to use one of the races from the monster manual, I would decide that on a case by case basis.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 01:11:32 PM
Could you provide a link for the people who don't have those books?

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:30 PM
     After scouring the internet I have cobbled together some possible rules for muzzle-loading firearms.  I've attached them in a file below, let me know what you think of them.  Keep in mind that I still pulled most of the numbers from 3.5e material, as I have access to a lot more 3.5e material than 4e.  In particular, the crits and ranges probably need work.  Also, the costs were completely made up and are probably not balanced. 

Also, ^ seconded. 

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

Jonas

• Yip!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:39:04 PM
     After scouring the internet I have cobbled together some possible rules for muzzle-loading firearms.  I've attached them in a file below, let me know what you think of them.  Keep in mind that I still pulled most of the numbers from 3.5e material, as I have access to a lot more 3.5e material than 4e.  In particular, the crits and ranges probably need work.  Also, the costs were completely made up and are probably not balanced. 

Also, ^ seconded. 

The muskets seem fine. I've added a link to a torrent with the books to the first post on this thread. Would prefer sending the books to people directly... but they're too large to email.