Author Topic: Comic 076  (Read 17493 times)

VirBot

• Chat/Forum Bot
  • Bot
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 4
  • All toons intrinsically know how to build robots.
    • View Profile
on: January 29, 2010, 09:23:43 PM

This message has been auto-posted by VirBot.  VirBot is not a real person and cannot answer your replies.  VirBot has no plans to take over the world and subjugate the flesh-creatures whatsoever.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 3
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:35:20 PM
Anti Wyvern guns... Ohhh sounds like they must be a constant menance or something like that to need them installed on most ships! but uncommon enough that they can be stowed away or something!

And YAy more tidbits on the way magic works and how ship to ship battles work! Since mages can projects shields and what not!   would that shield be like a bubble that surrounds the ship entirely? or something thats only faces in one direction and such!

Oh! Shouldn't it be really really windy on the deck? like capes bellowing.. ears flattned and such? *pokes Virmir*
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:41:38 PM by KaiAdin »

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Geary

• Pyro
  • I want to be a tree.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:00:38 PM
Serious Lucian is Serious

Geary: That means you get a companion for four levels, then it gets an upgrade.
Draykin: A very PAINFUL upgrade.
* Digital_Vulpine eeps, since the rules don't specify that I'm exempt from the psychic link that Wizards have with their familiars. o_o;
Geary: GET YOUR PET DRUNK.

Fizzie

• Crimson Flag Fan
  • "Dont Fear The Dark....Fear What It Hides."
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:11:35 AM
it could be that there is a "air-shield" that is some how blocking the worst affects of the wind....some sort of magic generator...mabey whatever it is is powered by whatever it is that makes the ships fly....wow...that sounded kinda....weird

Your resident 8-tailed Fennec Kitsune

Tvorsk

• That one dusty marsfox.
  • Server Manager
  • Anything can be solved if you'll try hard enough.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:22:52 AM
Or more simply, the front of the ship is shaped in a way that deflects air upwards and leaves a zone without much wind near the deck.

Thanks for reading,
-- Tvorsk

Draykin: And blast it, what is the world coming to when one cannot find a decent metal remix/cover of the Imperial March?

LilFluff

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 07:17:09 PM
Hmm. Is he perhaps the kind who remembers people but has trouble with names? Not sure we've seen enough to tell.

But I'm going to guess that whatever magic lets the ships fly also tones down any wind. You wouldn't want a complete block since that would suffocate you. But you could probably simultaneously cut back on the wind that hits the deck and make the ship more aerodynamic.

Then there is another answer. "It's the result of sufficient application of unobtanium, Bob." "Why are we talking about this Joe? Everyone knows how this works."

Digital Vulpine

• A digital fox in the quantum age.
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
  • "Ion cannon activated" "Oooh, shiny..."
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:36:26 PM
     What caught my attention is his use of the word "It" instead of "They".  Depending on the gun's accuracy, stopping power, and rate of fire, having only one gun could put him at a severe disadvantage.  Of course,  an anti-wyvern cannon probably is both powerful and accurate, considering what it's designed to kill, but I'm guessing that A: wyverns tend to attack alone rather than in groups and B: piracy is not much of a problem.  Therefore, the gun probably has a low rate of fire.  Although, based on Lucian's description of the Death Evan's tactics it seems that airships are not expected to have to engage more than one target at a time. 

...Or I could be completely wrong and it ends up being some kind of gatling gun.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away for a little while..."

LilFluff

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:04:17 PM
I'm going to guess that air piracy is rare, as our trader's conversation with the queen implied that such ships are currently rare. I'm guessing that anyone who has one at the current time is likely either working for a state, or both wealthy and holding social standing (I'm guessing that Alopexia is a land of merchant princes).

And I wouldn't put it past the gun to be something unusual. I mean we are talking about a ship captained by a guy who loves him some unusual merchandise.

KaiAdin

• Evil Feline Ice Mage
  • *Pokes* Mewhahahaha!
    • View Profile
    • KC Central Nexus
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:18:32 PM
      Although, based on Lucian's description of the Death Evan's tactics it seems that airships are not expected to have to engage more than one target at a time. 

...Or I could be completely wrong and it ends up being some kind of gatling gun.

I think from the comic 75 you can see multiple turrets (three of them in fact) at the stern of the Death Evan, and I believe there are two side mounted cannons as well. So i'm guessing the Death Evan can rush at a ship with the side cannons while defending its back with the turrets.

I think what Lucian describes in the comic is  how the crew of the Evan is gonna react in this particular situation as they probably know Voltar's ship is relatively under-armed.

* (Kai|MentosKitty) is Fresh and Full of life!
(Kai|MentosKitty): X3
Tvorsk: Kitty - The Mewmaker.

Lopez

• Resident (Human) Analyzer
  • Your friendly local Human Representative
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:41 AM
Hmm. Is he perhaps the kind who remembers people but has trouble with names? Not sure we've seen enough to tell.

Developing on this, perhaps he remembers people not through names, but through actions. Lucian remembered her as "The girl who made the shield really well that one time" rather than as "Sierra."

More interesting, however, is her developing OBSESSION with him. Why is she so obsessed about whether he remembers her or not? Crush/Love Interest? ];) It'll take a bit more time to tell.

...but that's just my opinion, so don't let it bother you too much!

LilFluff

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 05:01:59 PM

Developing on this, perhaps he remembers people not through names, but through actions. Lucian remembered her as "The girl who made the shield really well that one time" rather than as "Sierra."

More interesting, however, is her developing OBSESSION with him. Why is she so obsessed about whether he remembers her or not? Crush/Love Interest? ];) It'll take a bit more time to tell.
It might not be so much obsession with whether he remembers her name, but surprise that he really did remember her. Looking back at the last panel of page 48:

"And I'm sorry... What was your name again?"
"Oh... Sierra Wodrose, Level One Mage-- I mean Level Two, Sir. You were my evaluator two months ago during my exam patrol... don't you remember?"
"Ah, right, I remember now."
"sigh"

At the time I read that as Sierra thinking to herself, "Yeah, right, sure you remember," and figuring that Lucian both didn't remember her and didn't think much of her. I have the suspicion that either Sierra has some significant self image problems or she just simply doesn't have any real experience other than training and doesn't yet have confidence in herself.

Sasha Workbench

• The cutest vixen ever!
  • Order and Chaos go hand and hand
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 06:18:52 PM
The magic of the mage is confusing but this is a well known fact that two mages can cast a more powerful spell as long as the level of the mages are similar.

SW