Author Topic: Opinions of traditional art  (Read 3308 times)

Devon

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
on: December 28, 2016, 06:23:45 PM
I would like to ask you all something

what is your opinion of traditional art?

Personally, I don't like doing traditional art because it feels like I'm wasting so much- paper is used up, pencils are shortened and ink used, and at the slightest mistake my perfectionist mind forces me to trash it, wasting even more time effort and material. I do not look down upon others who do like traditional art however- art is art and other people probably wouldn't waste as much stuff as I do.

So I repeat my question, what is all of your opinons of traditional art?

William Swiftfoot

• Grey Fox Transformist
  • Enchanted Weapons Expert
  • "Join for drinks and enojy the side effects!"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 10:00:07 PM
I love traditional art because its always nice to have something in hand, where digital would require alot of printer ink. The amount of physical work that goes into alot of the traditional is also cool, on top of that alot of times such work is unique in style in comparison to digital and most areas of such Digital hasn't gotten the tools to match.

Caleb_Lloyd

• Fat fox thief
  • Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:15:04 PM
Traditional art is better for learning. Digital instills alot of bad habits, for example compulsive Undo'ing. While the capabilities of digital art are vast, for beginner it can be stifling.

Given traditional materials, the artist can master the tools and get to creating faster because a pencil in hand is more intuitive. Viewers looking at an artwork  understand how a line art sketch was made and such knowledge allows for greater appreciation.

For learning purposes, traditional works perfectly well, paper and pen is much cheaper than tablet, drawing program and computer.

Devon

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 09:48:52 PM
Ah, I will have to remember that when I do decide to try my paw at art. Thanks Caleb!