Author Topic: Slightly Fluffier Apocalypse than Expected  (Read 10136 times)

Fragmaster01

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
on: November 20, 2016, 09:43:12 AM
Greet! I present to you a TF-filled RPG. Rather free-form, more about role-play than roll-play, though the dice do peek out every once in a while. If they see their shadow, then you'll have many more Natural 1's in the future.
-----------
Today was a bad day to get out of bed.
You knew this to be true, for the traditional *boink* of an Official Document teleporting into your mail(a pile by the door helpfully sorted by gravity). These never meant well, and this one was no exception.
Greetings fellow Whatever You Are.
Due to continuing circumstances beyond our control, we have been forced to take drastic action. See: Heroes go West and Oh Snap, It's the Heroes for details. We, partnered with the International Coalition on Magical Yearning, have tried to get said circumstances under our control.
There may have been a slight oopsy. Nothing to worry about. It's just the last seven prophecied heroes we summoned... well, most of them sucked. Due to your records as being one or more of the following:
  • Resistant to Magical Change
  • Immune to Insanity Effects
  • Next Episode Syndrome
  • Too Foolish to Corrupt
You have been volunteered to set forth to the West, and attempt to make some sort of victory against this boondoggle. If you succeed, the I.C.K.Y. has promised to bequeath you with, but not limited to: Money, Fame, Babes/Hunks, A Pony, A Lifetime Supply of Ice Cream, and many more.

Go forth, and save our world!
Yyyyyep. Back under the covers. The guards would come Fetch you later, for sure, but until then everything was fine in your little cloth burrito.
-----------
Le Backstory:
Roughly 8 years ago, a massive pillar of purple night, not unlike an explosion, erupted from the Lands of Undesirable Terrain in the west. Since then, our world has... twisted. People becoming mutants, or monsters, or mutant monsters. Animals talking. Technology regressing, and areas where electronics decide they don't feel like it today. Reports claim that those nearer to the LOUT have suffered worse, though even here on the Scenic Coastline, our world is corrupting.
In hindsight, we probably should Not have sent our best heroes to deal with the situation. Word has it that most of them have gone mad with power, corrupted into giant raid bosses, or just been Frank. We didn't like Frank, and it seems he has taken the opportunity for revenge. Rude.
Thus, we are settling with those who are unlikely to be turned against us. Of course, this means that we're probably going to end up with a team of Complete Goobers, but them's the breaks. We tried telling the Mayor that this new plan was stupid, but then he grew antlers in the middle of the meeting, and that kinda ruined the mood.
------------
The City of Townsville:
When the Badness started, civilization tended to have a few issues. The main thing being that murderwolves would tend to walk on the roads and get hit by cars, or just plain wander into the food courts looking for lunch. Spoiler: The people are also lunch.
Townsville had a unique answer to this: They build a giant wall. It wasn't very good though, so they built it again, this time with 50% more quick-dry cement. It is like a large quarterpipe some 25 feet tall surrounding the town; speculation has decided that this is to watch monsters attempt to run up it, fail, and slide back down hilariously.

The town used to have some 18,000 people. Now it has closer to 6,000, either from attrition, monsterification, or people just driving away screaming that if they're going to die, they want to die on the beach. Bad plan. The sharks walk now. The cool ones, at least. Like Marcus. He's a pal. The town is still quite important though, as the wall means it is generally a safe haven/stopping point for people moving to Greener Pastures or Across the Sea. About 2500 vagrants at the moment, though this fluctuates wildly.

Important Goobers!:
  • Mayor Ansible(slang Ants in Pants, Fancy Pants): A 52 year old career politician who is still mayor because no one decent runs against him. He is inoffensive, though slightly off his nut, and generally reined in by people around him going "No, don't do the thing. You did the thing!! Whyyyy... you had One Job." Prone to zany schemes as to how to fix things. Currently a Moose Person. People use his head as a coat rack, and this offends him significantly.
  • First Sargent Lucky: Head of the local army base, who left here realizing that it was probably not a good place to stay when you have a Fortress Town nearby. Can often be seen on top of his jeep directing local construction projects. Everyone obeys him, because his jeep also has a minigun on it, and he's up to about 43 stickers of Dead Monsters(Large size or larger) on the side. That level of 'experience' tends to inspire subservience, even if he seems a little... enthusiastic. Currently a 6 foot tall honey badger, which only adds to his Intimidate Skill.
  • Consarnit: A rumor of sorts has spread, of a merchant fox(feral) named Consarnit, who only appears to what he calls Interesting People. As you are about to become Interesting whether you like it or not, perhaps he will be your friend.
  • Little Timmy: A small, 6 year old child, who has been 6 years old for quite some time now. He owns the section of Uptown by the toy store, and is fond of teleporting people to unfortunate places if they displease him. Has yet to be dislodged from his nest. Fully 'human' in body, if not in mind. Can do the creepy Multiple Voices at Once thing.

Setting info continues down here, for brevity.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:36:49 PM by Fragmaster01 »

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:43:22 AM
You! Yes you. Are reasonably level 1 people with clear goals and probably mischievous hearts. That's okay. All we need from you is to fill out this Helpful Survey. Our lawyers say we need a paper trail.

Stats: Stats are good! The numbers can always go higher. We're concerned with the following.
  • BRAWN: Physical oomph. Strength and swole. You do, in fact, lift. Does not necessarily correspond to physical muscle, for reasons unknown.
  • SLINK: Dexterity(fine coordination) and Agility(gotta go fast). You can do the moonwalk, and so much more.
  • GRIT: The ability to resist, ignore, or outright not notice being damaged. Haha, I've been impaled. Good thing I'm not the squishy mage!
  • MOXIE: Passion, Zest, and general Force of Will. Where magic is concerned, this becomes a weapon. Run.
You have 10 points to distribute! Nothing higher than 4 at the moment. An array of 4/3/2/1 is the usual allotment.

Talents: You are Good at things! Shocking, I know. Specifically, pick one thing that you are SO AWESOME at, one thing that YOU KNOW, and one thing that you are HORRIBLE BEYOND BELIEF at.
Example: Sample the Lizard Wizard is the best at [Lightning Magic], is knowledgeable as a [Doctor], and [Has Severe Attention Issues].

Stuff: You managed to grab some swag before going on this adventure. You have a thing that is RADICAL, 2 things that are OKAY, YOU GUESS, and a THING THAT WILL NOT LEAVE.
Example: Sample is back! This time, he has a [Magical Cell Phone], which gets coverage anywhere, an [Enchanted Lightning Rod] for stabbing people, a [Larger on the Inside Backpack], and [Broken Glasses] which do not help him see very well.
You do not need to pick Food/Clothing/General Crud. These are for items that are Better than normal, and the one Debilitating item.

Person: You are a person! Gosh. Specifically, you are a humanoid of some sort, presumably with some level of fluffiness. You can be an anthro, but don't worry, the others will join you. They'll all join you. *evil laughter*
A Pure Human is super rare. This implies you start with [Change Resistance]. You can wade through mutagenic muck without worry, though your lack of fluffiness is a detriment.
A Mutant is most common, though you're probably less so than others. Mutants can start with any perk. These are your people with cat ears and tail, or wolf legs and nothing else, or Frank.
A Hemi-Semi-Demi-Monster is uncommon, and shunned. They're like a monster, but still right in the head. This implies you start with [Immune to Insanity]. No amount of mind control will make you go savage. Yes, even waiting at the DMV.
An Anthro is common in society, though less so for the heroes. You are, after all, resistant. This implies you do Not start with [Change Resistance].
  • Change Resistance: You resist change, mutation, etc. For good or ill. Some will envy you, while others will be concerned by your lack of tail.
  • Immune to Insanity: Cannot be affected by mental afflictions. You can be the most monstrous lycanthrope ever, and calmly go out and get a burger on the full moon.
  • Next Episode Syndrome: Any super-debilitating changes and/or death are gone by the 'Next Episode'. This appears to be an arbitrary measure of plot, rather than time. You are, however, more likely to GAIN said bad changes, because it's funny.
  • Too Foolish to Corrupt: You cannot turn Evil. Also, you have a tendency to resist effects simply by not realizing that you're being affected. You are a bit of a goober, though.

Qualia: This will be a MYSTERY for you for now. But think of them as spells or special moves. For now, pick two Qualia you have. Examples: [Fwoosh], [Coffee], [Power Nap], [Lightsaber], [Bees].

Name: Who is it? Who are you? What do you want?
Race: Subject to Change.
Age: For some reason, Heroes tend to be young-uns. Get off my lawn, I say.
Personality: The most important! Let us hear your goober.
Appearance: Do not walk around without pants, please.
Random Trivia: Tell us some things about your person. They may or may not be relevant in the slightest.

Apply! Ask questions. Give withering criticisms. Or a cookie. Cookies are preferred.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:26:51 AM by Fragmaster01 »

American Otter

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 1
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:40:46 AM
Can you explain the too foolish to corrupt trait a little more?

This looks interesting and... should we create the character sheet and PM you first? Or post it for feed back?

This looks fun, and.... if this is Earth.... what land mass are we on?

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:05:38 PM
My prattling was interrupted by an emergency "You have the car, Drive to the store." Now I shall resume!

Too Foolish to Corrupt: I suppose an example would be a in(suc)cubus putting the charms on you, and you just don't get it. The lamp of power promises untold awesomeness if you just betray everyone, and no you'd never do that. Sample the Lizard Wizard makes the best burgers, and if you stabbed him you wouldn't get burgers anymore! Think Fry from Futurama. Your brain is Special. Don't worry, it's endearing.

Make the character. Don't throw numbers around yet. Maybe even give some goofy quotes! Quotes are good.
Here is an example of character spewing that is totally not self-referential in any manner. My lawyer said so.

Setting: This will grow! Important bits:
  • It is an Earth-like. It was reasonably modern, though the planet is Much Larger, impeding world-wide travel.
  • That's kinda out of the question now anyway. The corruption has also degraded the technology level of the world. It can be mildly concerning to watch a car turn into a buggy with one very confused horsepower, but it's happened quite a bit over the years. Current tech is highly sporadic, and in general the more Modern something is, the more expensive it becomes.
  • It was all human. Now the humans have extra parts. Or less parts. Or are just odd in general.
  • The landmass in question is a large, mostly oblong continent spreading east to west. In the far west is a peninsula that meanders south, making it look sort of like a tilted apostrophe.
  • People who corrupt poorly and completely are monsters. They may or may not want to eat you, though they have terrible manners regardless.
  • Expect people and social structures to be Mildly Ridiculous. It's far more endearing. See the Letter From the Mayor in the first post.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 04:07:15 PM by Fragmaster01 »

American Otter

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 05:15:36 PM
My prattling was interrupted by an emergency "You have the car, Drive to the store." Now I shall resume!

Too Foolish to Corrupt: I suppose an example would be a in(suc)cubus putting the charms on you, and you just don't get it. The lamp of power promises untold awesomeness if you just betray everyone, and no you'd never do that. Sample the Lizard Wizard makes the best burgers, and if you stabbed him you wouldn't get burgers anymore! Think Fry from Futurama. Your brain is Special. Don't worry, it's endearing.

Make the character. Don't throw numbers around yet. Maybe even give some goofy quotes! Quotes are good.
Here is an example of character spewing that is totally not self-referential in any manner. My lawyer said so.

Setting: This will grow! Important bits:
  • It is an Earth-like. It was reasonably modern, though the planet is Much Larger, impeding world-wide travel.
  • That's kinda out of the question now anyway. The corruption has also degraded the technology level of the world. It can be mildly concerning to watch a car turn into a buggy with one very confused horsepower, but it's happened quite a bit over the years. Current tech is highly sporadic, and in general the more Modern something is, the more expensive it becomes.
  • It was all human. Now the humans have extra parts. Or less parts. Or are just odd in general.
  • The landmass in question is a large, mostly oblong continent spreading east to west. In the far west is a peninsula that meanders south, making it look sort of like a tilted apostrophe.
  • People who corrupt poorly and completely are monsters. They may or may not want to eat you, though they have terrible manners regardless.
  • Expect people and social structures to be Mildly Ridiculous. It's far more endearing. See the Letter From the Mayor in the first post.

So, another question I have is this....

What is not being fluffy a determinant?

American Otter

• View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:29:22 PM

Stats: Stats are good! The numbers can always go higher. We're concerned with the following.

BRAWN: Physical oomph. Strength and swole. You do, in fact, lift. Does not necessarily correspond to physical muscle, for reasons unknown.
    SLINK: Dexterity(fine coordination) and Agility(gotta go fast). You can do the moonwalk, and so much more.
    GRIT: The ability to resist, ignore, or outright not notice being damaged. Haha, I've been impaled. Good thing I'm not the squishy mage!
    MOXIE: Passion, Zest, and general Force of Will. Where magic is concerned, this becomes a weapon. Run.

You have 10 points to distribute! Nothing higher than 4 at the moment. An array of 4/3/2/1 is the usual allotment.

Talents: Best at [Remembering what he reads and maps] Okay at Cooking, and horrible at not losing his temper at seeing history destroyed

Stuff: [History Text Book] When looking at old ruins or lore, this book will come in handy as it seems to always have the information you need. (Think the large book open to the middle in anime that has exposition), [Camera that changes from digital to film], [Walking cane sword, fire elemental forging after the event], [A Pacemaker that sparks and shocks the person at random... might have been a fake at one time or might have come from his own body]

Immune to Insanity: Cannot be affected by mental afflictions. You can be the most monstrous lycanthrope ever, and calmly go out and get a burger on the full moon.
    Too Foolish to Corrupt: You cannot turn Evil. Also, you have a tendency to resist effects simply by not realizing that you're being affected. You are a bit of a goober, though.

((I cannot pick which one to choose))

Qualia: [direction finding]  (Cannot think of anything else to add)

Name: Steve
Race: Anthro Otter (lost his immunity to staying human to safe history)
Personality: Kind, curious, will open doors for the opposite gender and tip his hat. He listens to all sides before coming to a choice, unless the actions go against his own moral code. He is a gentleman and will speak without swearing. He is also obsessive with preserving the past. A hot button issue is if he sees destruction of history, folks burning books, things like that.

Also, if something catches his attention he will ask questions till either he losses interest or the others ask him to stop. He always wants to learn and that might mean he will be asking all folks questions.

Appearance: Dressed around town in a three piece suit with a pocket watch, top hat, and cane. While on an Adventure he looks more like an Indiana Jones dressing.

Random Trivia: Historian, however he can quote from memory only things about the Titanic, anything else he has to use the book to talk about. Supposedly he claims he created his text book by giving up his human form.

Question

Change Resistance: You resist change, mutation, etc. For good or ill. Some will envy you, while others will be concerned by your lack of tail.

What does it mean that some will be concerned by lack of tail?

And I hope this is a good start.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 06:12:54 PM
We! We will be concerned. This is a fluffy forum for fluffy characters. (aka, it's me being sarcastic)
It is a good start.

American Otter

• View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 06:55:36 PM
We! We will be concerned. This is a fluffy forum for fluffy characters. (aka, it's me being sarcastic)
It is a good start.

Sounds good.

What do I need to do to complete it or make it better?

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 06:15:39 PM
Tell your kids! Tell your wife! They're transforming everyone out here!
But yes, spread the good news, and invite others to be your Friend.

I shall give more setting info as I have time. Later tonight/tomorrow morning. That will help you add to your Rudderbutt.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:31:21 AM
Initial TOWNSVILLE info added, more to come as the day grows. Apply people! Show interest, even if you lack ideas right now. Otter needs friends.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:36:33 AM
Scandalous Society/Setting Summary
As the setting has been changed impressively since The Thing That Happened, we can generally sum up facts/trivia into a few sections:
The Before
  • The planet is called Earth. Slang: Planet, Terra, Land, Bob.
  • It is an Earth-Like. You may expect much of the usual things: trees, dogs, digital watches, drivers with their turn signals on, etc.
  • It is Not our Earth. The world is about 3 times as large circumferencely(around), and even more so surface area wise. The landmasses thus don't compare well, and while tech helped states connect with each other, there is no sense of Global travel or communication.
  • Your starting area is a sparsely wooded grassy area, about 50 miles West of The Beach. Your journey is meant to take you to the Lands of Undesirable Terrain. Civilized people don't go there intentionally, as the geography and hazards are best described as a creator saying "It was funny!"
  • Things that never existed: Global internet(local state networks yes), Space Travel, Roombas, ICBMs, Long-Range aircraft.
The Thing That Happened
  • Magic was not really a thing. Now it is, which is Not Good in most senses.
  • Communication with the LoUT has been highly disrupted. Over time, it has become increasingly obvious that the corruption/monster levels are higher the closer you get, and the really Mean Hyper-Monsters tend to wander out from there.
  • Plane travel is currently forbidden anywhere near there. People got annoyed after too many fell out of the sky, or just decided to become wyverns to spite their passengers.
  • If there are intelligent Hyper-Monsters, they have not shown themselves. For this, we are thankful.
The After
  • Corruption seems to undo progress, technology, and generally any semblance of humanity conquering its environment. It happens sporadically and with no real pattern, though increases in frequency the more the area is corrupted.
  • People have developed magical shielding against such. It is Far Too Expensive to deploy on a large scale, and generally all that money goes to the The Power Plant Degrading would Really, Really Suck shield(tm).
  • Because of this, communities tend to become localized. If you can't rely on transportation as well, you farm your own darn potatoes. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.
  • Attrition: The tendency/rate of people to corrupt further than what their mind can take. Some people welcome this, as a form of "I'll be the one to decide when I go feral, thank you." Sometimes the term is applied to people who remain stark raving sane, but don't have thumbs anymore. Cutesy Feralization.
  • Notably, people who are generally happy, derpy, or otherwise nonthreatening tend to become gremlins. They mean well, but have the attention span of a guinea pig, and tend to climb all over everything and eat all your food.
The Magics
  • Magic existed before. In very, very small quantities. This is because of how magic works, and that magical folk realized very quickly that it was in their best interests not to have a high profile.
  • Strictly speaking, magic is only available from the breakdown of reality. Ex: a FIRE is made up of things like heat, light, combustion, etc. If you break apart a FIRE conceptually, you get all of that. But putting it back together doesn't actually get you the same FIRE. Rather, instead you apply Inspiration and Imagination to all of that to make Your Fire. This process is Magic. The actual components thereof are called Qualia, based on the idea of Fire being a universal concept, but Your Fire being specific to you.
  • Generally, Qualia are either Active(cast [Fwoosh] to make a fire), Change(making [Fwoosh] go [Everywhere] does indeed spread your fire all over the place. Well done.), or Quality(making a [Fwoosh] [Fabulous] does not change how the fire works, but it does look Very Pretty).
  • Qualia are not useful in all situations. Strapping an [Everywhere] to your gun will unleash the fury. (Do not unleash the furry by accident. Bad things happen to good people. Strapping it to your intestines will require a visit to the hospital, and is generally gross.
  • The official term for those who specialize in Qualia is Qualiamancers. Most people agree this is a stupid term, and just go with Mancers. Or mages. Or whatever wizardly nonsense you prefer.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:32:34 PM by Fragmaster01 »

Crabtree

• Tacos
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 01:27:56 PM
I'll see about coming up with a character when I get home from work.

American Otter

• View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 06:05:44 PM
Awesome, and thank you for the wonderful detail and information.

If I may ask, can i have help picking one of the two?

Immune to Insanity: Cannot be affected by mental afflictions. You can be the most monstrous lycanthrope ever, and calmly go out and get a burger on the full moon.
Too Foolish to Corrupt: You cannot turn Evil. Also, you have a tendency to resist effects simply by not realizing that you're being affected. You are a bit of a goober, though.

Also, I need to pick the numbers, guessing that comes later, but I think I can get my bio dialed in a little later as I see how others put their bios together.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 05:09:56 PM
Motion to declare Real Life a butt. Like, at least 1.2 butts.

Save numbers for later, it's just so people don't flail around going "Butbutbut... numbers! How will you numbers?!" and then Chara pokes his head out asking about numbers.
-----------
Resistance Trait: Up to you! I suppose that ITInsanity would be more for someone who is stark raving sane. Creepy stuff happens in Nowhere, and it's up to Courage to save his new home.
TFtC would be more for the lovable doofus, who isn't all that fazed by the oddities around them. The nice guy, who remains nice due to being happily oblivious.

Still, it's not much of a game with only two people! Bring all your friends, so that you can abuse entertain them. Here, come be our meatshield. When you see a trap, that means you step on it instead of us. It's good for you! Experience.

Fragmaster01

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 08:34:15 AM
Needs more people! Even if you don't have characters, just like a 1 line post saying that you are filled with interest. And cookies. But mostly interest.