Author Topic: A Change Of Plans  (Read 14145 times)

Talcott

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 01:43:50 PM
You change seats to the one right next to the lone patron, a large arthropod who you believe is a Hsian.
Both him and the bartender stop their chat and look at you. After a couple of seconds, the bartender, a Chrikt, asks what can he serve you.
Asked for "something sweet" he verifies that you want a drink that won't cause major side effects, and offers you a couple of types of soda, with a recommendation of alisdan.

(Um... I kind of read the second fragment as you yourself deciding that your baggage is alright and includes the food, so don't want a review of its contents?)

>I scratch my head not entirely sure what alisdan is, though I inquire about it, suspecting it would be a good pick.
>I glance over to the large arthropod while waiting, a bit perplexed as I have had very few encounters with arthropods or larger bugs.
>Glancing back to the other patrons here, I briefly consider changing seats but as I've already talked to the bartender, I wait at my current seat for his response about the drink.
>That aside I feel somewhat confident in the supplies I have on hand and in my bag, mostly a spare set of clothes, a travel instrument, and a few small miscellaneous goods.

(I actually kinda would like a contents review, and I apologize for the typo, I completely missed that I said "backed")
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 09:37:19 PM by Talcott »

Anyone else think it's a coincidence that saute rhymes with all day?

Selden

• Mage of Caerreyn, Level 2
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2016, 05:54:34 PM
Selden
>Rummage through backpack, taking stock of supplies for the trip
>Examine menu if one is in evidence, otherwise ask for one
>Order a glass of something nonalcoholic, likely water, and food suitable for eating on the move if necessary.  Add a closed package of pretzels, nuts or whatever might be available in a small bar if I don't have enough food for the trip.
>Pretend to be absorbed in my food, but keep one ear open for anything interesting being discussed.

You touch the scanner, unlocking your backpack.
The main compartment still contains everything you put in it - two sets of spare clothes, your data unit, and a headset.
The front pocket has a credstick and a flight pass.

You close it back and put down next to your seat, then reach for the menu, and switch categories to find something that you can actually eat.
As far as dinner goes, you don't have much choice - you can get a steak tartare made from K'tchara meat, or, for the vegetable option, a salad from sea plants, straight from the planet down below. You wonder if that sea has fish.
There's a full page of snacks that are supposed to be edible, however - both familiar and completely foreign.
The bar being a bar, list of drinks that won't kill you immediately is quite long. Some of them are supposed to be neutral in terms of effect, too.

You then wave at the bartender, interrupting his conversation with the insect-like Hsian.
He approaches you and asks if you're ready to order. Your request for water and peanuts doesn't make him too excited, but he delivers what you wanted and leaves to continue talking in a language that reminds you of faulty hydraulics.

As you wait, you realize that the backlight of the bar section you're sitting at changes from white to blue.

>Order the salad, putting the peanuts away for later
>Look at the light questioningly
>Mentally curse myself for not being a language person who knows all these weird ways of talking

Tyla: Ty Ty ty Ty Ty Ty
Tyla: we need more tys
Selden: No, no, no. Then we'd need a tybreaker.
* Tvorsk snickers!
Tyla: ...
Tyla: that was...
Tvorsk: Tyla, the word you're looking for is "beautiful". {;)
Virmir: I need to hire Selden as an editor. [;)